Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
While it is true that Yuuki works under Archibald, I would like to point out that our protagonists are currently following Lee Linjun, whom as we'll find out soon enough is a colossal dickhead and a traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Yuuki should request an immediate transfer to Lee; they deserve each other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

Meanwhile the Federation stumbled a lot...but they won.

Eh, to be honest, as in most SRWs, the Federation didn't so much win as it happened to be vaguely on the side of the guys who without much support or help. Keep in mind that a good chunk of the protagonist squad are independent forces who are only working together because of the whole DC/Alien Invasion thing. The Federation mostly tried to surrender every single time something goes vaguely wrong and turns out traitors at an absurdly fast rate.

(And in terms of "brainwashed child soldiers" thing, I'll just point out that Ryusei was recruited through a program that used a video game to find potential child soldiers.)

Rorahusky posted:

While it is true that Yuuki works under Archibald, I would like to point out that our protagonists are currently following Lee Linjun, whom as we'll find out soon enough is a colossal dickhead and a traitor.

Lee is a dickhead but he actually has a real good reason to think the heroes hosed up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 26, 2015

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

Yuuki should request an immediate transfer to Lee; they deserve each other.

They could go at the heroes of the L5 campaign together all day long!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The funny thing about the "we weren't shown civilian casualties" thing is that we can assume that's the exact effect they're going for here, given that OG1 only shows you the Hagane's POV.

Bullet: "We're the awesome heroes of the L5 campaign, we beat the aliens and not a single good guy died! (except for Greg and Norman :manly tears: ) Who could have a problem with us?" :kamina:

Yuuki: "Our families died while your leaders were busy forbidding you to do anything, thanks for noticing."

Bullet: "But I didn't see that cutscene." :saddowns:

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I wonder if there's some sort of waiting line with a ticket dispenser for people meant to take advantage of Zoldark's ambitions to manipulate others, because they sure seem to be a patient sort if they just sat silently until the next game's plot came around instead of all coming out with their schemes simultaneously.

We're still in an extended flashback of the first three prologue missions, correct? It feels weird not having two separate routes, so I'm assuming we've just yet to reach a branching point.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm not sure why you'd call it a flashback, but yes, this is what was originally chapter 3 in OG2. The branching point in OG2 was chapter 9, so assuming OGs didn't add any more chapters we should get our first branch at chapter 14.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

ElTipejoLoco posted:

We're still in an extended flashback of the first three prologue missions, correct? It feels weird not having two separate routes, so I'm assuming we've just yet to reach a branching point.

yeah, we'll get to the point where that makes sense eventually. It's supposed to be unclear at the moment. Keep in mind that only the very end of Mission 3 was in the original.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm not sure why you'd call it a flashback...
It sort of reads like one, to me. The first chapters were en media res, the same way Elzam's was in OG1: Things are happening, but the player has no real context as to what or why said things are happening; The effect is seen before the cause.

Since OG1 eventually expanded upon enough cause to understand the effect, I just assumed that OG2's going that same route. But I guess there's any other possible explanations (Aerogater illusion clones again?) that aren't just "oh something's going to happen eventually that makes Kyousuke act all cocky and villainous to this new pilot guy, and also repaints the Alt the blue color it had in the 4th chapter."

But since there's no dates or any other evidence given that the events aren't simultaneous, I guess I jumped the gun calling it a flashback, yeah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

It sort of reads like one, to me. The first chapters were en media res, the same way Elzam's was in OG1: Things are happening, but the player has no real context as to what or why said things are happening; The effect is seen before the cause.

Since OG1 eventually expanded upon enough cause to understand the effect, I just assumed that OG2's going that same route. But I guess there's any other possible explanations (Aerogater illusion clones again?) that aren't just "oh something's going to happen eventually that makes Kyousuke act all cocky and villainous to this new pilot guy, and also repaints the Alt the blue color it had in the 4th chapter."

But since there's no dates or any other evidence given that the events aren't simultaneous, I guess I jumped the gun calling it a flashback, yeah.

Well, you aren't WRONG in that the game will explain (mostly) what the gently caress is up, the rest we'll have to cover with stuff that came out later. They're retconned the events in OG2 a couple of time. For example, we could not post the opening scenes to "The Inspectors" the anime adaption of this game. Simply because they spoil way more.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

OG1 didn't explain anything about Euzeth Gozzo in-game, so I kind of figured explaining only mostly everything is par for the course.

It did explain enough that the events the player was directly strategy-RPG-ing through were clear-cut, though. I can only hope OG2 keeps that up.

Do the OG games have any New Game+ exclusive secrets, actually? Beyond increased difficulty and carrying over your money/SP/upgrades, I mean. I forget if any were mentioned or shown off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Do the OG games have any New Game+ exclusive secrets, actually? Beyond increased difficulty and carrying over your money/SP/upgrades, I mean. I forget if any were mentioned or shown off.

Nah. I *think* there might have been one in the GBA version of OG2 but it isn't in OGs. (and it's been a long time since I played OG2 GBA so it might not be there either.)

There are a couple that are easier to get on NG+ but that's it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the Federation has come up with entirely new, lovely bosses to justify the same hate the DC had at our old, lovely bosses.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

CmdrKing posted:

Actually, that's a question; does the world at large know the basics of Grims' background? I always kinda assumed it did, but that doesn't gel with mostly upstanding people willingly working with him.

(Obviously his actual background hasn't been revealed to the player yet so we don't want to talk about it, but I don't remember it being some big shocking reveal in-context when they do.)

I don't think they know that one specific incident (which is weird, because in the real world that poo poo would be all over the news for months and Grims would be dealing with a global manhunt), but he doesn't exactly bother to hide the fact he's OG Yazan Gable.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

MarsDragon posted:

I don't think they know that one specific incident (which is weird, because in the real world that poo poo would be all over the news for months and Grims would be dealing with a global manhunt), but he doesn't exactly bother to hide the fact he's OG Yazan Gable.

I think that's a bit unfair to Yazan, don't you? Yazan's hardly 'comically evil', and he's hardly a great manipulator like Archibald. He's just a really good pilot who revels in battle and happens to be working for the Titans.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's not exact, no, but it was the closest I could come up with off the top of my head.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Actually, Archibald is Getter Manga Hayato.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Ashram posted:

I know that there are quite a few people that like Archibald, but I absolutly loath the fucker. He hits all the notes for the worst kind of villian:

He is so over-the-top evil that it goes right over "enjoyable" back to "horrible"
Everyone does what he says even if he admits to enjoy watching them die.
And he always, ALWAYS pulls a loving retreat plan out of his rear end that works for some reason.

Basicly he is the Joker without anything that makes the Joker fun.

For context, this man just declared that he likes a certain red-tinted tea (that I forget the name of)...because it reminds him of the blood of the people he's killed.

The Inspectors makes this better/worse because he says this with the most :smuggo: tone possible, mind you. So yes, he is kind of a one-note villain.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

The funny thing about the "we weren't shown civilian casualties" thing is that we can assume that's the exact effect they're going for here, given that OG1 only shows you the Hagane's POV.

Bullet: "We're the awesome heroes of the L5 campaign, we beat the aliens and not a single good guy died! (except for Greg and Norman :manly tears: ) Who could have a problem with us?" :kamina:

Yuuki: "Our families died while your leaders were busy forbidding you to do anything, thanks for noticing."

Bullet: "But I didn't see that cutscene." :saddowns:
Funny you mention that, because in Divine Wars, we do meet Carla and Yuuki during the Aerogater attack on San Diego (which is where the two met) towards the end of the series. Carla watched her whole family die (not shown on screen, but revealed in other materials) and Yuuki was pretty much the only one there to console her since he joined the DC during the first game off-screen, and Yuuki and few other DC soldiers just happened to be the only people around to try and do something in San Diego. So yeah, Yuuki's anger at the Federation has justification in the revised timeline: he saw what happened when the Aerogaters started attacking civilians and the Federation did nothing about it. That said, this does not stop Yuuki from being the densest motherfucker in the room way more often than should be possible. A lot of his lines just drag down OG2's plot for me, all thanks to his mindset and beliefs.

Anyhew, speaking of Yuuki, I wanted to bring up this image, mostly for Yuuki's portrait:

See that tiny smile? Guess what Yuuki did not have in the original GBA game? Yep, a portrait where he smiled in some fashion. It was either his aloof-looking default portrait like we saw earlier, or his angry face that players saw the most out of him. I get that his Alpha personality was the same as Leona's (cool and nihilistic), but even Leona managed to crack a smile occasionally in the previous game. Yuuki never smiled in OG2, and any time he was "happy", it was his aloof-looking default portrait we saw.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr. Snark posted:

For context, this man just declared that he likes a certain red-tinted tea (that I forget the name of)...because it reminds him of the blood of the people he's killed.

The Inspectors makes this better/worse because he says this with the most :smuggo: tone possible, mind you. So yes, he is kind of a one-note villain.

And while Yuuki didn't immediately head for the hills because "gently caress, that guy's my commanding officer", he sure as hell hurried out of that conversation as quick as he could and tried to get Carla out of the picture. He's aware of just how hosed his own position is, I think, but things in later chapters may invalidate that.

It's possible he thinks he's stationed under the only unrelenting psychopath in the Neo DC instead of just the worst one. :v:

I mean look at this, this may be the one man who out :smuggo:s Ingram from the first game. Archibald may be one-dimensional and a little too awful to be entertaining as opposed to just horrible, but goddamn if he doesn't telegraph it from the word 'go'.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Rorahusky posted:

In OGs, to use a MASH metaphor, Lee is Colonel Winchester rather than Frank Burns.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yuuki & Carla are underdeveloped & underutilized. Considering they were the only Alpha 1 pair left for the second game, I'm not too surprised.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
EDIT: Just kidding, everything's fine.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 6, 2015

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 9

After a couple of missions we have enough PP to start learning skills. First priority is Support Attack for everybody that doesn't have it (read: everybody). Bullet and Kyosuke can pick it up now, while Lamia and Excellen are still a couple points short.

Putting the "giant" back in "giant robot."

Intro

quote:

Cuervo introduces Archibald and Yuuki to the two "special" pilots he brought with him: Seolla Schweitzer and Arado Balanga. The two immediately commence bickering over Arado's lackadaisical self-introduction; along with their age, this doesn't inspire confidence with either DC officer. Seolla assures them both that, as graduates from the School, the two of them are very well-trained. Archibald orders Yuuki to take the kids with him on the next mission.

After they're gone he asks Cuervo a bit more about the School. After it was dissolved Adler Koch retained care of the surviving children; with his death, Cuervo and Dr. Agila Setme have picked up where the DC vice-commander left off. Arado's performance isn't as good as Seolla's, but their series was specifically trained to work in pairs - hence, Archibald gets them both.

Kai, Latooni, and Rai are at Hickam military base in Hawaii for the Wildfalken's testing. Irm contacts Rai from the moon to discuss the recent thefts, and the risk that they'll continue. Meanwhile, the SRX and ATX projects are finally being unfrozen; the critics in the military have been silenced thanks to Nibhal Mubhal, now working as Brian Midcrid's aide.

Yuuki and Carla are hidden just offshore thanks to their ASRS units. Carla asks Seolla if she and Arado are going out, prompting an unconvincing denial of interest from them both. Further anime antics are interrupted by the Falken's arrival, and the DCs drop their cover and attack. Rai is instantly pinned down by Lions. Seolla rushes the Falken (without Arado, who suddenly forgot his controls). Latooni dodges her initial attack, and they both recognize one another's maneuvers.

Mission 9: Boosted Children

Objective, take out everybody. No visible mastery requirement yet.

Our beautiful Hawaiian seashore.

Over here we have Rai in an MP Huckebein, surrounded by Lions, and Latooni in the Falken, facing off against Seolla in another Lion. The resemblance between the Weissritter and Wildfalken is pretty obvious.

Off to the right we have Kai in his Gespenst, taking on a whole bunch of enemies by himself: two more Lions, two Barrels, and Carla and Yuuki in their Guarlion Customs. And then off by himself we have Arado in his Lion. :laugh:

Anyway, to business. The Lions around Rai do nothing but defend, so he really has no option but to slowly chip away at them.

Very slowly.

Oh, and Latooni can't move or take any action, so your only other option is to move Kai. I park him just out of the Barrelions' range for now.

As the first enemy phase begins, Carla can't believe the Huckebein is holding its own against four enemies. Yuuki is equally concerned, and tells Seolla to take care of her objective quickly.

The Lions around Rai do nothing; Seolla attacks Latooni, who again has no combat options.

At least she dodges just fine.

Meanwhile, Arado and the two Barrelions move towards Kai, while Carla, Yuuki, and the last two Lions do nothing.

On turn 2 we have more of the same; Rai's enemies are still defending and Latooni still can't move. Kai, on the other hand, is in position to start attacking.

Too bad his numbers suck right now, and he has no spirits that give survivability.

His damage (with the basic machine gun) also sucks. So does his resilience when it comes to getting hit by giant rail cannons. Barrelions! :argh:

On Turn 3, things happen.

Scene

quote:

With Latooni uncertain about who she's fighting, Seolla is easily able to close the distance and force open her cockpit, at which point they're each stunned to discover that the other is still alive. Seolla immediately assumes that the Federation is forcing Latooni to pilot for them. She pulls a gun and yells for her to get out of the mech - and when Latooni doesn't immediately comply, she shoots. Latooni falls out of the Falken, and Seolla seizes the mech and withdraws, quickly escaping radar contact. Kai and Rai check on Latooni's status; the bullet just grazed her, and since the mech was grounded the fall shouldn't have been serious, luckily.

During the rest of the second enemy phase, Kai manages to dodge the two Barrelions but takes a long-range hit from one of the Lions.

Arado finally reaches Kai as well. He doesn't do quite as well as the Barrelions.

Arado: "H-here he comes!"
Kai: "What's with those movements? Are you an amateur!?"

Even if Arado had hit, the machine guns wouldn't have done much - which is good, since Kai is about one hit away from death. At least he has enough morale to use Jet Magnum.

On turn 3 the Shirogane arrives. Lee wastes no time in ordering everybody out.

There's some consternation from Kai and Rai over Lamia's machine, but the enemy takes priority. Nobody is happy to hear that the Falken's been taken, but if Latooni is safe for the time being, clearing out the enemies will take priority.

And now we see the battle mastery requirement: take out everything except Carla and Yuuki before the end of turn 4. In other words, in the next two turns.

It's not often that you get bullshit mastery requirements outside of the first mission or so, but this happens to be an example. You can see that we still have those two extra Lions to kill, next to Yuuki and Carla. They still won't move - which means that we have to go to them, which will take Kyosuke and company two turns. On top of that we have the two Barrelions, who will be chasing after Kai during all this. Now, we could have had Kai try to lead the Barrels over towards where the Shirogane would arrive, but that still requires us to split our forces up, and it would probably take three of our guys a full turn to take a single Barrelion down. Imagine also that we didn't continue from OG1 and didn't have money to spend on upgrades.

The short version is, we're kind of reliant on Kai to help us take the Barrelions down. Two hits from a Barrel will kill him, and it's a 50-50 chance as to whether he dodges or not. In other words, this is one of the few places in the game where soft-resetting is accepted as a matter of course.

Luckily I only have to do it once, and casting Valor helps Kai wrap things up nice and quickly.

On the bright side, the Lions who were cockblocking Rai have stopped defending, and he makes short work of them with no real risk.

Arado whiffs again and Kai shows him how it's done.

Arado: "drat it, I knew this would happen! I'm outta here!"

On on Turn 4 we finish off the last of the grunts in short order.

:toot:

Carla and Yuuki flee at 70%, and we still don't have the firepower to bring them down yet. At least they're not too hard to chase off.

Excellen: "Oh, you guys are taking a Waiuki vacation too?"
Carla: "W... Waiuki? It's... Waikiki, isn't it?"
Excellen: "But thieves aren't welcome here. In the name of the army, I will punish you! Or something like that..."

Carla goes for Bullet next.

Carla: "Looks like you made it, but you're too late!"
Bullet: "Then we'll just get your next destination from you!"

Casting Grit means he doesn't have much to fear, though I get lucky on the counterattack.

And on the next turn Excellen knocks her out.

Carla: "H-Huh? The Tesla Drive is damaged! Sorry, Yuu! I'm falling back!"

As for Yuuki, I'm sure Bullet will get along with him just fine.

Bullet: "You're always saying the same things!"
Yuuki: "That's my line. Talking to you is a waste of time."
Bullet: "What was that!?"
Yuuki: "Nothing I say will get through to you. Maybe combat will make you understand."
Bullet: "Don't act like you understand anything!"

Secret Mechs
Step 1: Have Bullet fight Yuuki on Mission 8
Step 2: Force Yuuki and Carla to retreat on Mission 8
Step 3: Have Bullet fight Yuuki on Mission 9

Good start, although not quite enough. Kyosuke can't get more than a 30% hitrate agaisnt Yuuki, so Lamia casts Strike and finishes the job.

Yuuki: "What's this feeling... who is this?"
Lamia: (They should have noticed by now... there's no choice. I'll have to keep waiting.)

And that should do it.

Yuuki: "We've accomplished our objective. Fall back!"

Closing

quote:

The Aggressors come aboard the Shirogane, where Lee immediately suspects Latooni of colluding with the enemy - as a former member of the School, she no doubt knows people among the current DCs. He's completely unmoved by Bullet's appeals on her behalf, and angrily reminds them of Ingram Prisken's betrayal. Kai agrees to take responsibility for the Falken's theft, which defuses the situation somewhat.

A little later, Kai tells Latooni that the important thing is that she's safe - she can explain what happened when she's had some time to collect herself. (Lamia disapproves of this, thinking that there'll be another failure if the defect isn't dealt with.) Still, Lee did have a point: with all the recent thefts, somebody must be feeding the DCs information - possibly somebody with high rank. Lamia is introduced to the Aggressors; there are no surprises with Kai and Latooni, but she isn't expecting to see Rai (the son of "that cursed family.") Then again, with the Huckebein in mass production it shouldn't be surprising that he's here.

Yuuki reports to Archibald after the mission; Archibald is surprised that the "defective merchandise" - by which he means Arado - didn't cause him problems. With the Wildfalken secured, their next move will be to resume distracting the Federation from Colonel Van's actions. Archibald thinks the Far East Base would be a good destination - he has an "ancestral" bond to the place, and would like to take care of some personal business.

Seolla chews Arado out for his poor performance during the mission, saying that if he gets killed they'll never be able to find their friends, like they promised. He doesn't think she should worry - and besides, he has another promise to keep as well (which he suddenly clams up and refuses to tell her about). Eventually Seolla reveals that she's so worked up because of meeting Latooni. However, when she thinks about the mission, she can't understand why she shot at her friend, or why she left her behind once she had the Wildfalken. When Arado asks what's wrong, she gets frightened and runs out.

Again we have a bunch of unused battle quotes, including quite a few for Arado that you'll never see because he goes down in two hits.

Seolla:

quote:

Seolla: "!? Get out of my way!"
Kai: "Keep your hands off the Wildfalken!"

Carla:

quote:

Carla: "Sorry, but we're taking the Wildfalken!"
Kai: "Where did you learn that it would be here?"

quote:

Carla: "I knew it... this one's different!"
Rai: "I've seen a few things. Don't expect me to go down easily."

Arado:

quote:

Arado: "Ugh... whatever happens, happens!"
Excellen: "Oh, aren't you just bursting with youthful vigor?"

quote:

Rai: "You're still just a rookie..."
Arado: "I'm not going down here!"

quote:

Arado: "The Weiss, the Alt, the prototype Huckebein Mk. II... don't tell me this is the ATX team!?"
Bullet: "The same! What about it?"
Arado: (Oh crap oh crap oh crap... this is bad!)

Yuuki:

quote:

Kyosuke: "...You again."
Yuuki: "Maybe we really are linked by fate."

quote:

Rai: "Answer me. How did you know the Falken was being tested here?"
Yuuki: "...You don't actually expect me to give up our secrets, do you?"
Rai: "What!?"

quote:

Kai: "So these are DC remnants..."
Yuuki: "And now it's time to see what the Aggressors can do."

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 6, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, perhaps it wasn't obvious, not everything is on the up and up when it comes to Seolla.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

So, perhaps it wasn't obvious, not everything is on the up and up when it comes to Seolla.

You mean the kids who've been trained and "modified" from infancy to be perfect super soldiers might have mental issues?

I'm shocked. Really. :geno:

Also, glad that Kai joins nice and early in this game, he really should have been part of Ryusei's route in the last one if you ask me.

Edit: Also also, am I the only one who thinks Cuervo looks kinda like Amuro Ray with sideburns?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Also, glad that Kai joins nice and early in this game, he really should have been part of Ryusei's route in the last one if you ask me.
The game sort of implies that Kai did in fact join up with us as per the Kyosuke route, instead of sitting off to the side like on Ryusei's route. Now for the other parts of the stage....

:ughh:

Welcome to one of the bigger plot threads of the game, and also one of the loving worst. Yes, I may have taken the name of one of the characters involved as my username, but I will be first to say gently caress THE SCHOOL PLOT WITH A RUSTED RAILROAD SPIKE. I'll get more into detail as things go along, but here's the first bit I'll say on this matter: in the original game, this mission was stage 4 of 43. The School plot doesn't get resolved until stage 36 of 43. This plot could have been easily finished in...oh, 10-12 stages, but nope, it gets drawn out for 32 goddamn stages. Welcome to pain, folks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did... did we just get ambushed by protagonists?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I have to admit, for all that he's more than a little cliched, Arado always makes me smile with his doofus-ery.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

Did... did we just get ambushed by protagonists?

Actually, yes. Arado is the male real-robot lead from Alpha 2.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Ah, there we have it. Seolla, Banpresto's second or third creepiest female character design.
A 13 or 14 year old girl really should dress like that. (At least the manga made her seem older)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ashram posted:

Ah, there we have it. Seolla, Banpresto's second or third creepiest female character design.
A 13 or 14 year old girl really should dress like that. (At least the manga made her seem older)

If it makes you feel better, she's not 13 or 14.

She's 15!

And the actual outfit isn't that stupid (it's better than Aya's pilot suit, at least.) It's that Seolla has a bad case of Sudden Disappearing Bra Syndrome, the leading cause of injury for female mecha pilots.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 7, 2015

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
boing boing

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

AradoBalanga posted:

The game sort of implies that Kai did in fact join up with us as per the Kyosuke route, instead of sitting off to the side like on Ryusei's route. Now for the other parts of the stage....

:ughh:

Welcome to one of the bigger plot threads of the game, and also one of the loving worst. Yes, I may have taken the name of one of the characters involved as my username, but I will be first to say gently caress THE SCHOOL PLOT WITH A RUSTED RAILROAD SPIKE. I'll get more into detail as things go along, but here's the first bit I'll say on this matter: in the original game, this mission was stage 4 of 43. The School plot doesn't get resolved until stage 36 of 43. This plot could have been easily finished in...oh, 10-12 stages, but nope, it gets drawn out for 32 goddamn stages. Welcome to pain, folks.

I'd do a comparison about how the Inspectors handles this plotline, but we're still behind a bit on events AND later plot points are brought up sooner here.

Hopefully once we get in a ways I can start doing comparisons, but based on my knowledge of original OG2 (i.e. none), it might be a long time before I can do that...

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Support Attack on everyone first, not SP Regen?

Are you going to try to do this without SP Regen, or are you just waiting on it?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I wondered why it was weird that Arado and Seolla some of the few normal Real pilots that don't wear pilot suits.

I got my answer when I watched The Inspector.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Poor Bullet, he tries so hard to stand up for Latooni and just makes it worse.

Also throw me in as one of the folks that likes Arado. Seolla's cool too but I just like the little purple-haired spaz and the places his story is going to go. I don't mind the School plotline as much as a lot of people around here do.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarsDragon posted:

Support Attack on everyone first, not SP Regen?

Are you going to try to do this without SP Regen, or are you just waiting on it?

Support Attack first, given that I'm already running into aces who I could shoot down if I could chain more than two attacks together. The early missions end so quickly that running out of SP isn't a major problem.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Poor Bullet, he tries so hard to stand up for Latooni and just makes it worse.

Also throw me in as one of the folks that likes Arado. Seolla's cool too but I just like the little purple-haired spaz and the places his story is going to go. I don't mind the School plotline as much as a lot of people around here do.

I stand with Arado to, which was another reason I took the route splits I did. Following his story was more interesting to me than most of what was going on. But the School plotline does get a bit... exhausted, near the end of it.

As an aside, the Falken/Wurger is a neat bit of lore for the OG universe that of course wouldn't exist in Alpha 2 where neither of those machines exist. In Alpha 2 they were just a pair of units designed as a melee/ranged pair, while the ties here as a refinement for the already existing Alteisen/Wildfalken pair makes sense for the universe. It's one of the few extra connections the ATX team gets that I'm really okay with since it shows emerging world design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I remember thinking "when am I going to get the SRX again, sheesh" basically the entire time I was playing OG2, so I have like no opinion on Arado beyond his plot taking too long.

• Locked thread