Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
All this discussion kinda makes me want to do a stat sheet like I did for SRW W. That'd settle these points pretty quick... except for the time it'd take to do it, of course, which is not trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You go, Kyosuke. The right response to Internet trolls is to ignore them, even if they're currently in giant robots.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like the alteisen as much as I don't like Kyosuke. I just absolutely hate what it upgrades into. Ugly as sin.

I also have a big soft-spot for the Not-Zeta, though after having the Wildraupiter just destroy everything with its beam-cannon and going into that mission with an un-upgraded non-zeta it was weird.

As it stands both Kyosuke and Ryusei have a pretty freaking dull set of missions ahead, Kyosuke in space and Ryusei in the water, the difference of course being ALL of Kyosuke's machines run fine in space, while only MOST of Ryusei's do. I also have to agree with what was raised earlier in the thread, with OG1 being much more grounded story wise than OG2. I agree and I really like OG1 for that. It's not as well animated as OG2 but there's... a lot of charm watching the development of the robots. First achieving flight, and transformation, and the first combiner, and all these relics being brought out like the 009.

In OG2 the plot is more crazy and the biggest flaw is that well... Kyosuke nicks the plots of other SRW Originals to fuel himself. On top of that the einst just aren't an interesting foe.

Oh if there is one thing I love though? it's that Irm is basically part Kouji Kabuto part Banjou Haran. Anything Banjou originally did is given to Irm. So he's a pretty big badass in the games.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Onmi posted:

I like the alteisen as much as I don't like Kyosuke. I just absolutely hate what it upgrades into. Ugly as sin.

I love it because it's ugly. It's absolutely not what you think of when you think mecha. It's huge and clunky and it needs flight engines on all the time just to stay upright. And yet it's inexplicably potent because Kyosuke just gets it. Nobody else can fly the Alt, it's too weird and clunky for anyone but him. I like it.

And the Shadow-Mirror version owned by Beowulf, I think it's Alt Eisen Nacht? So cool.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route: Mission 5

:eng101: This entire introductory segment is significantly expanded and rearranged from the original, so I'll hold off on the commentary until the end.

Ryusei's thinking about the previous day's battle, painfully aware of the fact that if Rai and Aya hadn't been there, he wouldn't be here today. When Aya comes to get him for a briefing, he tries to apologize for the trouble he's causing them both. She tells him to chin up; the entire purpose of being a team is so that the three of them can support each other, so there's nothing to be ashamed of.

At the briefing, Commander Sakae and Ingram inform the team that they've received approval to begin data collection for the R-series, the SRX project's prototype machines. They're given the specs to look over - a conventional PT, an artillery-based unit, and another mech with a smaller design than the Gespenst. As of now, Aya, Rai, and Ryusei are formally dubbed the "SRX Team". Ryusei immediately wants to know what "SRX" is short for, but Ingram says to save it for later; they have three days to familiarize themselves with the manual. Faced with the deadline, Ryusei wants to know if they have a sleep-study machine; Aya replies that if they did, they'd already be making him use it, so he'll just have to ask her and Rai if he has any questions. He says he'll be counting on their support, then.

Rai notes that Ryusei is being unusually cooperative; is this a change in the wind? Ryusei says he just wants to keep up with the two of them and hopefully get the newly-named SRX Team off of the right foot. Rai can't quite conceal his skepticism, and is too much of a gruff hardass to be nice even if he knows Ryusei's intentions are good, so Ryusei finally ends up saying that he'll be in Rai's tender care from now on and they'll leave it at that.

Ingram gets called into Laker's office to discuss imminent talks between the Federation officials and a second party, slated to take place in Antarctica. It'll be quite the affair, as they'll also be christening the Shirogane and unveiling EOTI's latest machine at the same event. Sakae says in no uncertain terms that the fate of mankind rests on this meeting. Ingram can tell that they're expecting trouble, and they're far from the only ones; Norman Sley of the Federation Military (the man who commissioned both the ATX and SRX projects) has requested their presence. With the importance of the meeting, the glimpses we've already had of EOTI's secret designs, and the fact that the Space Noah project is headquartered at that very location, Laker hardly needs to remind Ingram to use the utmost care.

In his quarters, Ryusei privately bemoans the fact that the team's first official posting is to the coldest place on earth; hopefully the chance to look at a new mech will make up for Ingram's slavedriving ways. A beep from his terminal signals that his e-mail has been returned to him.

In his own room, Rai discovers that the base auto-censor has picked up an e-mail from one Leona Garstein. He thinks to himself that it doesn't matter what she says - he won't go back to his family. Ryusei knocks at his door, wanting to ask a question.

Ryusei says that his mail to his mother and friends is getting returned; it's never been a problem before, so why now? Rai tells him that with the approval of the R-series, the team's security level has been increased - basically, what they're working on is classified such that they're no longer allowed to have outside contact. Ryusei can't believe this, and asks if Rai's really okay with never being able to talk to his family; he, of course, doesn't consider it a problem - for the sake of their work, they have to be ready to leave their former everyday lives behind. The younger pilot is shaken, but seems to understand.

:eng101:As I said above, there's a lot that's changed here, pretty much all related to Ryusei's development.

The original version starts out with Ryusei complaining to Aya and Rai that he hasn't gotten any mail from his mother or Kusuha since he joined up. When they press him on it, it comes out that he's been gushing about Personal Troopers and military secrets in all of his e-mails, so of course the army is going to censor him. Idiot. It's basically yet another "Oh Ryusei, you're such a lovable dope" moment. Then the game goes straight to the briefing (the sleep-study joke is in, but not the following serious exchange with Aya and Rai) and then to the mission.

Here instead we have Ryusei still coming to grips with his first taste of real combat and starting to make some proactive efforts to be a team player; we also have Aya living up to her role as leader/mentor and Rai not being a jerk. The change in how the censorship issue is revealed now has Ryusei being new to things without having him be a moron, and demonstrates Rai's shift from "Take my advice: go home" to "Take my advice: you can't go home, so get used to it." Leona also gets name-dropped, although Rai's "I hate my family" schtick has been pretty well driven home already.

Some people have mentioned that they preferred the original version, where Ryusei doesn't get brought down to earth until a few missions in when a whole lot of people die in front of him (spoilers!), but personally I like what they did with the expansion here.

Anyway, back to the game.

Mission 5: Antarctic Tragedy

Despite the cold, Ryusei has his hatch open to get a better look at the Shirogane; Aya tells him he can't take pictures, but he says he knows it's a secret, so not to worry. She'd figured he would be more of a super robot fan, but Ryusei says that's not true, although he doesn't like just anything. She asks for some examples of other things he likes, and off he goes: fighters, tanks, battleships, submarines, monsters, cryptids... which sounds an awful lot like "just anything" to her.

:eng101: Unsurprisingly, in the original Ryusei really is snapping pictures and gets in trouble for it.

Leaving Aya to nurse her headache, Ryusei switches gears and asks Rai about the EOTI's new machine. After correcting him on the organization's spelling ("It's E.O.T.I., not 'EAT ME'") Rai says that they don't have any hard info, just a name: Granzon - a bad-guy name if Ryusei's ever heard one. The team finds it strange that they're unveiling a new machine here when they could just do it at Langley or the Far East base - doing this at a diplomatic function, it's like they're spoiling for a fight.

Then the base elevator activates and the Granzon comes into view. "Oh, man..." Ryusei says, "it doesn't just sound like a bad guy, it looks like one too!"

Aboard the Shirogane, Daitetsu (remember him from the intro?) asks his new XO Tetsuya Onodera where Shu Shirakawa, the Granzon's test pilot is; he's not in the machine, which is currently on automatic standby. Nothing left to do but wait for the participants to arrive...

The Federation ambassador Albert Gray is here already, and tells them to lay down their lives to protect him during the negotiations if need be. Tetsuya isn't quite inspired by this, but nonetheless says that Space Noah 1, the Shirogane, is at his service. Daitetsu asks Albert to leave them to their duty and prepare for the meeting; the ambassador seems frightened at the prospect of meeting the other party face to face.

Then Eita picks up a gravitational distortion above the base - they've arrived. Tetsuya orders all units to form up at the outskirts, leading Aya to wonder where they're expecting the enemy from.

Ryusei is properly freaked out by the arrival of what must be an Aerogater ship, but Aya reminds him that they've been ordered not to make any moves that might be interpreted as an attack. Aboard the Shirogane, Tetsuya has much the same reaction. Albert makes one correction: they're not Aerogaters - they're our guests.

Albert goes to meet with the guests, and Ryusei is stunned to see what appear to be humans emerging from the alien ship. Tetsuya, meanwhile, notes that this must be why Bian Zoldark wanted the EOTI's machine unveiled here - as a display of the Earth's military prowess. Albert certainly seemed to believe this meeting was the best for humanity... but Daitetsu wonders what price he will agree to pay to save himself.

Then Eita notices something odd. Shu Shirakawa isn't anywhere to be seen among the assembled dignitaries. As a distinguished scientist himself, he's supposed to be there.

Aboard the Granzon, an unknown person (yeah, whatever) says that the players are all assembled; it's time to lower the curtain on this farce. Eita detects an energy buildup within the machine...

"That ship will not deceive our eyes."

In response to the unprovoked attack, the alien ship deploys fighters - but they're not the bugs we're used to. Tetsuya demands to know who's piloting the Granzon, but Daitetsu says there's only one man who can pilot it - the attack was launched by Professor Shirakawa himself. Attempts to raise him on communication channels fail, and Daitetsu has no choice but to order all units to defend themselves.

:eng101:So here's another major (although well-known) difference from the original. The ship here is a Huleh, which is an Aerogater machine from Alpha and Shin SRW, and one we'll be seeing a lot more of later. In the original, the alien ship launches the bug-like Megillot robots that we're used to, and not much else was said about it, leaving the entire thing pretty unclear about what exactly was going on. Here, not only are the fighters not bugs, they're not Aerogater machines at all - they're Garoikas, robots used by the original enemy faction in Super Robot Wars 4/F/F Final. The name of this faction? The Guests. To make things even more explicit, in the Divine Wars anime you can see the guy Albert is meeting, and it's unmistakably the Guest leader.

The Guests won't appear or do anything else in this game, so this is basically taking a couple minor hints from the original - Shu's line about how the ship won't fool him, Albert's "They're not Aerogaters, they're guests" line - and making it a bit clearer as to what's actually happening. This still won't be fully explained until later in the story, though.

Anyway, here we are. Two turns to kill all of the Garoikas for the mastery, without losing Ryusei.

This mission isn't really tough, but it can go wrong in a couple of ways. The Garoikas will generally go after whoever's closest, but at the moment that's not us - it's the NPC tanks around the perimeter. We need to close with them to be sure that they're firing on somebody who will actually fire back, although the tanks can soften them up a bit for us. The Granzon is an NPC faction, and it won't attack them or us.

Not much else to say here, really. The Garoikas have crappy aim; the Huleh battleship's aim is much better, and could do some serious damage if it had actually hit anybody. (Ryusei had Grit cast, though, so there isn't much to worry about here.) It's a fairly uneventful two turns, and the enemies get shot down trying to kill me during the enemy phase of turn 2.

With the Garoikas gone, the alien battleship flees - but Shu isn't done yet.

With a single, massive attack he wipes out all of the NPC units present. And then, for the finishing touch...

"With this one shot, the curtain rises on a new era of war..."

Ryusei is in a state of shock after seeing the staff from the base and the Shirogane wiped out before his eyes. Shu is unimpressed with the resistance offered; none of those present had any use or value.

"Enough. Die now, if you would."

Ryusei is still frozen, and Rai and Aya rush to his defense---

Oh right, and then the Granzon turns hostile and starts attacking. On the enemy phase, giving us no opportunity to prepare.

Sure, he uses a MAP weapon, and sure he misses everybody, but it's the principle of the thing, drat it. Also, if one of your guys takes an unlucky hit during the first part of the mission, getting tagged with the Black Hole Shower here will easily kill them.

Anyway, once turn 3 begins, Shu senses somebody coming.

Huh. OK, I wasn't expecting another random guy out of nowhere, but...

:catstare:

:catstare::catstare:

The talking cats (yes, really) say they've found the surfacers' military base - and the Granzon. Then they remain blessedly silent for the rest of the exchange.

:smug:"To think Psybuster would appear here, of all places... Don't tell me you came all the way here to chase me, Masaki?"
:argh:"You... I swore to make you pay for what you did to Langran!"
:smug:"Revenge, is it? How quaint."
:argh:"Shut it! And now what are you up to? Planning to destroy the surface, too?"
:smug:"Oh, my. I've been planning no such thing. I'm merely showing my worth to some new colleagues of mine."
:argh:"I knew it... you can't be allowed to go free!"
:smug:"Honestly, it's always the same with you. Don't you ever get tired?"
:argh:"Shut up and prepare yourself!"
:smug:"I'm afraid I don't have time to play with you. I have a pressing engagement with Professor Bian."
:argh:"Bian?!"

"I bid you adieu."

The Granzon leaves, and after a quick conference with the cats, the newcomer takes off to figure out who this "Bian" is and where he can find him.

Ryusei is left staring at the wreckage, as Aya tries to get him to respond. It doesn't seem much like a game at all.

Sakae rushes to inform Laker of the bad news, but the commander already knows - they've just made a formal declaration, broadcast to the entire world.

"Humanity has nowhere to run. What we need is not an ark... but a sword to wield against our alien foes! Today, we of the EOT Investigative Commission have been reborn as the Divine Crusaders, guardians of the Earth sphere. We will cast down the corrupt Federation government, drive out the invaders, and establish the sovereignty of humankind!"

It seems Bian Zoldark has finally made his move. Sakae can't believe that he would make an enemy of the entire Federation and expect to win, but Ingram and Laker suspect that it's possible; the unveiling of the Granzon was a show of force not just for the aliens' benefit, but for the Federation's as well. With the advanced alien technology at EOTI's disposal, the use of ISA tactics - the deployment of robots from mobile carriers or submarines - could allow the Divine Crusaders to wage war against a much larger foe. Ingram thinks to himself that it's time to see how Dr. Zoldark's plan fares...

"Humanity requires a swift and powerful army, unfettered by bureaucracy and petty politics. But do not mistake this for a desire to rule in fear and dictatorship! Our blade must never turn against those we protect. If you share in the will of the Divine Crusaders - if you hope to secure the future of humanity and the Earth sphere - then break your silence and join us. If you would break your silence and join in opposition... then we will not shrink from the battle."

In an unidentified hospital, it sinks in for Kusuha that war has begun. The nurse tries to reassure her, saying that it won't reach them, but the doctor says that's not the case. If the alien threat is as grave as Dr. Zoldark says, soon none of them will be able to claim that it's not their battle. Kusuha realizes that he's right, and wonders where Ryusei is, and if he's safe.

:eng101:This last bit is new.

Final note: The Atlus title for this mission was "Atrocity," which I honestly find a much better title than "Antarctic Tragedy" in light of what happens.

Next time: less :smug: and more :black101:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 25, 2014

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Masaki and his talking cats are amazing. Remember how everyone was talking about how OG1 is much more grounded than the usual SRW? Masaki is the one glorious exception. Bask in the magical talking cats. Bask. Baaaaaaaaaaaask.

And yeah, that does make the early bits of Ryusei route a bit less choppy on the character development. Pretty good. I'm still not sure why the Guest are disguising themselves as the Aerogators, though. I don't think that got explained in OG2, and if it's explained in OGS or 2ndOGS then I didn't hear about it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I really can't gush enough about Shu Shirakawa's Theme, Dark Prison.

Basically, when this starts playing, something is about to get hosed. It fits the jerk that Shu is so perfectly.

And yes, Magical Talking Cats. They're the best. Anything associated with Masaki and Shu gets a little...off base compared to the rest of the machinery. Well, except maybe one unit that's my absolute favorite but doesn't show up for quite a while in this game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm torn. On the one hand I like Ryusei's maturation from his first combat mission because it makes sense. On the other hand...

Antarctica was the moment his life as a civilian 'broke' and when he's dragged into war, everything just goes from relative fun and games to the shits very quickly which serves to break his civilian mentality and turn him into a soldier. The difference being of course, that Ryusei never loses his idealistic beliefs and desires. Personally I always thought that the change, as well as his later treatment of a few characters, had a lot to do with his father. The short of it is that Ryusei's father was a policeman who died in the line of duty. And a lot more of his actions make more sense when you consider that.

I don't know if I'll judge this mission better or worse than in the GBA. I have to see how it continues to play out, but it does make Ryusei seem less stupid.

Also we now have Masaki and Shu showing up, you will grow to love these two.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I uhh...I've beaten both OG1 and OG2, in English so I understood what was going on (I think, anyways), and the whole thing you explained confused the hell out of me. Am I missing something? I always thought this was just the Aerogaters and the beginning of the war against them and whatnot...

Also I can't think of any emoticon more fitting for Shu than :smug: You chose a good one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I uhh...I've beaten both OG1 and OG2, in English so I understood what was going on (I think, anyways), and the whole thing you explained confused the hell out of me. Am I missing something? I always thought this was just the Aerogaters and the beginning of the war against them and whatnot...

Also I can't think of any emoticon more fitting for Shu than :smug: You chose a good one.

Super Robot Wars OG2nd spoilers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So any reason you went with Psybuster? It is a more proper translation, but at this point the official one is... Cybaster I guess. Huh. Never mind then.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

BlitzBlast posted:

So any reason you went with Psybuster? It is a more proper translation, but at this point the official one is... Cybaster I guess. Huh. Never mind then.

I'm pretty sure Psybuster was the Atlus translation, but mostly it's the one that I typed first, so I'm unlikely to have to go back and keep double-checking myself for consistency.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Atlus used Cybuster.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, fun facts about this mission. This is the second of three times this stage appears in the OG continuity. The GBA one and this version have been covered, but what about the third?

That happens in the remake of Masaki's side game where he's the lead, called Lord of the Elemental. Part 1 of that game ends with Masaki flying to the surface chasing Shu and stumbling upon the events in Antartica. Ryusei himself makes a cameo during that version of this stage (Rai and Aya don't, oddly enough).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't think it's possible for Shu to not be :smug:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Psybuster is a little weird but it beats Cybaster and it definitely beats Cyberstar. Original mecha sometimes have really weird localized names. :v:

This stage is when the game officially gets fun. You get your first taste of absurd bosses (did you see what the Granzon just did?), mid-stage cutscenes that shake up the battlefield, and A Whole Lot of Stuff Happening all at once storywise. SRW thrives on these, so I hope you like what just happened there.

Also it is nice that Ryusei basically grows out of the Scrappy Doo phase so early in the game. Even better to see the way OGs goes about tweaking his character in general. Thank you for sharing the new story bits that OGs added, Seyzer.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

GimmickMan posted:

Psybuster is a little weird but it beats Cybaster and it definitely beats Cyberstar. Original mecha sometimes have really weird localized names. :v:

I'm half-convinced that you can spell virtually any Original in this franchise however you want and it's correct according to some incarnation of official media. Poor Rathgrith. :v:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Shaezerus posted:

I'm half-convinced that you can spell virtually any Original in this franchise however you want and it's correct according to some incarnation of official media. Poor Rathgrith. :v:

Unless it's German or ends in -Lion, then they actually have rules to adhere to!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Original Origins: The Divine Crusaders

Part of the challenge of doing a big smashup like SRW is that you can't really pick a villain to roll with without feeling like you're somehow diminishing the ones you didn't use - and while it makes perfect sense for the good guys to team up since they're all heroes, who's going to keep the bad guys in line?

Super Robot Wars 2 on the NES answered that question with the Divine Crusaders. Led by Professor Bian Zoldark, possibly the world's biggest mecha otaku at the time, their stated mission was to take control and forge humanity into a fighting force the likes of which it had never before seen. Our heroes in Londo Bell, being the lovers of freedom and justice, took issue with that. This decision was helped by the fact that the DCs filled their ranks with such luminaries as Dr. Hell, the Hyakki and Dinosaur Empires, and the house of Zabi - the sort of guys you'd expect to get right on board with an organization bent on world domination, in other words. The moral grayness that you'll see more of in the missions to come hadn't really become A Thing at this point, although the game did end with a bit of a surprise that set up for sequels.

The DCs did appear in one other SRW setting: the Alpha series. Inexplicably, here they were good guys, helping to supply and coordinate efforts against a myriad of threats. A couple of missions in the translated Alpha Gaiden actually required you to defend DC headquarters. They sort of faded out after Alpha Gaiden, as did a few other elements Banpresto had copied over from their earlier games (Alpha 1 very much used the grab-and-stuff approach when it came to fitting things into its story), until Dr. Zoldark made a surprise reappearance during a cutscene towards the end of Alpha 3.

The OG timeline starts off firmly grounded in the original series timeline, with the Divine Crusaders sticking to their role as antagonists; you'll see a couple of notable scenes and characters from SRW2 as we progress, and I'll try to point those out as we go.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I'd read the Alpha Gaiden LP before dipping my toes into OG, not long after in fact. So seeing Shu was a moment of "Oh... oh dear" that he definitely lived up to moments later.

This sequence with our distinguished guests really did confuse me until much later (and I mean well after finishing OG2), so I give huge kudos to the SRW folks for having that much forward thinking on their writing.

I really don't care much for the bridge crew's standard uniform. That... throat-collar thingy Eita's rocking just bugs me for whatever reason.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The big difference in the timelines of the (original) Super Robot Wars plot and the Super Robot Wars Alpha plot is centered around the DC.

In Super Robot Wars, the DC (as here) were announcing that they would protect the world from alien invaders, the existence and warmongering of whom was up for debate.

In Super Robot Wars Alpha, the Battle of A Baoa Qu was interrupted partway through (postponing resolution of the One Year War) when a meteor streaked through the area and wiped out most of the combatants. That meteor turned out to be a gigantic alien battleship (the source of EOT in Alpha, the analogue being Meteor-3 in OGs) that was eventually rebuilt into the Macross. When the DC announced they would protect the world from alien invaders, everybody said, "Yes, that's exactly what we need to do."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Say what you will about Cybuster, but it has a kickass theme. On the other hand, it's probably one of the three stupidest playable mechs in OG1.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shu is the very personification of :smug:. He has that smirk refined to perfection.

Broken Loose posted:

In Super Robot Wars Alpha, the Battle of A Baoa Qu was interrupted partway through (postponing resolution of the One Year War) when a meteor streaked through the area and wiped out most of the combatants. That meteor turned out to be a gigantic alien battleship (the source of EOT in Alpha, the analogue being Meteor-3 in OGs) that was eventually rebuilt into the Macross. When the DC announced they would protect the world from alien invaders, everybody said, "Yes, that's exactly what we need to do."

Pretty much. In OG and the Original Timeline, the Federation dragged their feet and got overly concerned with their own petty goals to care about the aliens, so the DC had to step up and rock the world to it's foundations. In Alpha, the government, upon seeing a real live god drat alien spaceship crash into their planet went 'gently caress me they're real' and fell in line behind the DC, negating their need to try and overthrow the government. It wasn't until later that certain groups *coughcoughTheTitanscoughcough* started abusing the rapid development of weapons to combat the alien race towards their own ends.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"Oh poo poo, aliens are real? Bian, you're our best scientist and biggest nerd, have ALL THE BUDGET"

The thing I'm probably most disappointed in the Alpha timeline for (well, this and the loss of Giant Robo) is that they really didn't do enough with the DC as the good guys. It's understandable once Alpha became more of it's own thing, but it still feels like a missed opportunity. Especially since there's no battle where Bian and his awesome robot are on your side. Yeah, there's a secret in this game, but it's not enough, dammit.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'll join him in defending the Alt :colbert:.

Oh don't get me wrong, the Alt Eisen rules but Ryusei's upgrades rule more.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

MarsDragon posted:

And yeah, that does make the early bits of Ryusei route a bit less choppy on the character development. Pretty good. I'm still not sure why the Guest are disguising themselves as the Aerogators, though. I don't think that got explained in OG2, and if it's explained in OGS or 2ndOGS then I didn't hear about it.

It is explained in 2nd OGs. It's been a while since I played it but I believe this is how it went:

The Feds had been aware of the Aerogaters existence and thought they had no way to defend against it. Thus, they reached out to the other alien faction that they knew of, the Guests, and proposed a deal to Zezenan's faction: help us push back the Aerogaters and we'll submit to you.
His entry with the Aerogater ship, I believe, was meant as both a show of force and also as camouflage to hide the presence of Zezenan and his folk from the main governing body of the Guests which had not made a decision on how to deal with the Earthlings.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So basically what's going on here is a conspiracy theorist's version of XCOM?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

It is explained in 2nd OGs. It's been a while since I played it but I believe this is how it went:

The Feds had been aware of the Aerogaters existence and thought they had no way to defend against it. Thus, they reached out to the other alien faction that they knew of, the Guests, and proposed a deal to Zezenan's faction: help us push back the Aerogaters and we'll submit to you.
His entry with the Aerogater ship, I believe, was meant as both a show of force and also as camouflage to hide the presence of Zezenan and his folk from the main governing body of the Guests which had not made a decision on how to deal with the Earthlings.

Makes sense. It's not like the Aerogators would've been in any position to tell him off about it. I guess now Earth is going through proper channels to open contact with the Guest government?

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

Makes sense. It's not like the Aerogators would've been in any position to tell him off about it. I guess now Earth is going through proper channels to open contact with the Guest government?

Once 2ndOGs is done, yes.

Well, Zezernan's and all of his supporters are dead and the rest of the Guests government joined your team to help kill him so they're more or less allied with Earth by default at this point, and now that everyone's acquainted and had a look at all their toys they're all gearing up to go kick the poo poo out of the goddamn Aerogators, who the Guests have been in a cold war with for a very long time.

Basically the by that point distressingly-bloated OGs cast isn't done killing gods yet.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Well by the end of OG1 it was pretty clear that there was only one way the OG series could end. They, after all, got the power of love.

Although the interesting question is how OG will ultimately interact with Z.

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014
I'm pretty sure I read something about Rand, Setsuko and Crowe were not going to be added to OG games but then again I could be wrong.

Tempestas Leo fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Glad Esther's going to get her time to shine, then.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Tempestas Leo posted:

I'm pretty sure I read something about Rand, Setsuko and Crowe were not going to be added to OG games but then again I could be wrong.

That doesn't surprise me one bit. Given the nature of Z, having those originals pop up in OG would be silly because you could instead have the entire universes cross over. not that that's necessarily how it'll work, perhaps OGs is just cutting itself off at a point to keep things manageable! But it's a thought I had.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I really wonder if they'll ever get around to concluding the whole Shadow Mirror storyline and have a confrontation with Beowulf and Alt Eisen Nacht. I thought that was by far the coolest part of OG2, but it sort of feels by now with the power creep you're seeing with the OG roster, that fight would wind up being some God-powered Super saying 'Oh how quaint! *SQUISH*'. On the other hand it could also serve as a good catalyst for getting another rounds for Alteisen and Weissritter and the innevitable Rampage Ghost III!

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014

Silvergun1000 posted:

I really wonder if they'll ever get around to concluding the whole Shadow Mirror storyline and have a confrontation with Beowulf and Alt Eisen Nacht. I thought that was by far the coolest part of OG2, but it sort of feels by now with the power creep you're seeing with the OG roster, that fight would wind up being some God-powered Super saying 'Oh how quaint! *SQUISH*'. On the other hand it could also serve as a good catalyst for getting another rounds for Alteisen and Weissritter and the innevitable Rampage Ghost III!

Well they did in The Inspector and He was a Einst and summoned copies of everyone's mechs IIRC

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tempestas Leo posted:

Well they did in The Inspector and He was a Einst and summoned copies of everyone's mechs IIRC

I think the explanation for that was that in that universe he actually did die outright along with Excellen in the crash, instead of being saved by his Devil's Luck like in this universe, so the Einst "repaired" him and he slowly went nuts because of their voices in his head telling him to purge all life and no Excellen to keep him sane. The Alt Eisen Nacht is sort of like his version of Rein Weissritter in that it's full of wacky Einst technology.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Tempestas Leo posted:

While I am pretty sure that these three wouldn't show up in OG, I would certainly love to see the J protagonists show up. I rather like the J Mecha designs (especially the Granteed and it's upgrade) and I would love to see them in non-Super Deformed style.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

While I am pretty sure that these three wouldn't show up in OG, I would certainly love to see the J protagonists show up. I rather like the J Mecha designs (especially the Granteed and it's upgrade) and I would love to see them in non-Super Deformed style.

The only question is, would both Touya and Calvina be piloting something? Would both get one and have one sub pilot each to pick from? Would it be the 3 sub pilots pilot one, Touya pilots another, Calvina the third?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I heard that 2nd OGs dropped a couple hints about the Furies being a looming future threat (though I still haven't played the game despite owning it for a year, so maybe I shouldn't comment).

EDIT: Also, if we could try to avoid going into detail on shocking future revelations about characters in the LP, that'd be cool.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SaitoBatch posted:

The only question is, would both Touya and Calvina be piloting something? Would both get one and have one sub pilot each to pick from? Would it be the 3 sub pilots pilot one, Touya pilots another, Calvina the third?
Touya would get all the mechs and all the girls and Calvina would get kidnapped for 99% of the game.

• Locked thread