Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, it was either shoot down Carla...or suck so bad at getting skill points that a later character feels bad for you and equips a Stealth Boomerang instead of a M90 Assault Rile.

Or skip all that bullshit and play on Special mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Since Lamia's faction seems to have a big "alternate reality" thing going on, I thought for the longest time that Vindel Mauser was an alternate-reality Masaki since they're the only two people in OG (to my awareness) that have that particular shade of green hair. :downs: I spent far too long wondering why my Cybuddy had gone evil and goth.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Wait, really? The way I read it it sounded like Archibald's orders were hinting at the fact that getting Arado to be shot down by the Latooni was his plan on getting Seolla to re-focus her energy from the pitiful rescue attempts to go back to indiscriminately shooting everything down like he actually wants from any one of his 'tools'.

Got it backwards - his plan was to explicitly get Seolla put in danger to make Arado :black101: out and murder some bitches. It backfired, obviously.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KataraniSword posted:

I spent far too long wondering why my Cybuddy had gone evil and goth.

No that's in the Z games.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
After that, if Yuuki doesn't leave the Neo-DC (or at least transfer to a different commander) of his own free will, I say we shoot him down permanently if that's an option, because how could we trust him?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

KataraniSword posted:

Got it backwards - his plan was to explicitly get Seolla put in danger to make Arado :black101: out and murder some bitches. It backfired, obviously.

Oh, it worked more or less as intended...after all, Arado managed to activate his cutscene super-booster powers: he just couldn't activate the other half of his cutscene powers, because that would have involved blowing up Latooni, and since she isn't a mook (or due for a new machine), that wasn't going to happen. So he got shot down by...a vulcan.

How lovely is the armor on that thing that a VULCAN can lead to a "no could could have survived that" moment?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

Oh, it worked more or less as intended...after all, Arado managed to activate his cutscene super-booster powers: he just couldn't activate the other half of his cutscene powers, because that would have involved blowing up Latooni, and since she isn't a mook (or due for a new machine), that wasn't going to happen. So he got shot down by...a vulcan.

How lovely is the armor on that thing that a VULCAN can lead to a "no could could have survived that" moment?
It's one part Arado's bad luck (this happens a lot more than you'd think) and one part Latooni was making an attempt at disabling Seolla's Randgrith, which has a completely different design than the Lion, coupled with Latooni being known to be drat accurate with her shots. Basically, what is a section that disables one unit is potentially the "hit this point for massive damage" part of another unit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr Pepper posted:

No that's in the Z games.

If only. That would have been way less stupid than the truth.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

AradoBalanga posted:

It's one part Arado's bad luck (this happens a lot more than you'd think) and one part Latooni was making an attempt at disabling Seolla's Randgrith, which has a completely different design than the Lion, coupled with Latooni being known to be drat accurate with her shots. Basically, what is a section that disables one unit is potentially the "hit this point for massive damage" part of another unit.

If I remember correctly, the Vulcan guns are ~60mm, tri barreled "Gatling guns": basically, it has the same caliber of a 1942 crew served AT gun, but with a modern day chain gun's rate of fire: and it just took out a weapon that's basically a cross between a futuristic tank and a destroyer. If any part of the Lion design is weak enough to get instantly destroyed by a Vulcan, that's a horrible design flaw that should have been found and addressed during the first war, not now. The Vulcan isn't even an AT weapon, for lords sake; the barrel's aren't long enough! They could at least have replaced Latooni's Vulcan with something actually meant for use against armor, like Gundam's beam Vulcan...

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

thetruegentleman posted:

If I remember correctly, the Vulcan guns are ~60mm, tri barreled "Gatling guns": basically, it has the same caliber of a 1942 crew served AT gun, but with a modern day chain gun's rate of fire: and it just took out a weapon that's basically a cross between a futuristic tank and a destroyer. If any part of the Lion design is weak enough to get instantly destroyed by a Vulcan, that's a horrible design flaw that should have been found and addressed during the first war, not now. The Vulcan isn't even an AT weapon, for lords sake; the barrel's aren't long enough! They could at least have replaced Latooni's Vulcan with something actually meant for use against armor, like Gundam's beam Vulcan...

Wait, wait, hang on, which Gundam do you think has a beam Vulcan? The only ones I can even think of off the top of my head are the one from Gunpla Builders and the ones from 00, all others (as far as I know) are solid ammo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

thetruegentleman posted:

The Lion was specifically used because

1. It's cheap, like ridiculously easy to slap together for a low price.
2. It can fly.
3. Its controls are similar to a plane, which makes it easier to fly.
4. It's very moddable, as seen by its variants like the Barrelion
5. It has an inbuilt railgun to allow for massed sniping attacks

The Gespenst has been pointed out multiple times to actually be the superior weapon, beyond the lack of flight, it's even more modable, has a better power source and stat spread. But it's also loving expensive and training soldiers on the Gespenst can take months, while training soldiers on the Lion can take weeks. Since you can take from a large pool of pilots from the airforce.

Also, going to Gundam? by Victory Gundam most mobile suits had paper for armor, a vulcan could shred the limbs of a mobile suit. Because at that point they figured "gently caress it, go for light, no-armor machines with beam shielding."

But most vulcans in robot stories are designed for Anti-Personnel combat.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Seolla is taking Arado's "death" alot better then she did in the anime (or maybe the big freakout will happen later).

Also, due to Real Robot Dramatm, any and all chances of Latooni talking Seolla down have just gone out the window.

In other news, Yuuki is still holding onto his believes that he is right and noone else is, and Bullet still doesn't have the balls to tell him off.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Son Ryo posted:

Wait, wait, hang on, which Gundam do you think has a beam Vulcan? The only ones I can even think of off the top of my head are the one from Gunpla Builders and the ones from 00, all others (as far as I know) are solid ammo.

Gundam Age:
Beam Vulcan:

Besides the common hand mounted beam vulcans among Vagan mobile suits, the Legilis also has head mounted ones. These beam weapons have a high-rate of fire and are moderately powerful. They have been shown able to destroy small vehicles, buildings, and even mobile suits. In addition to being a ranged weapon, the hand beam vulcans are able to generate beam sabers for close range combat.

Yes, I know Gundam Age is recent: it's just an example, and SRW original machines have way crazier poo poo than a Beam Vulcan.

Onmi posted:

The Gespenst has been pointed out multiple times to actually be the superior weapon, beyond the lack of flight, it's even more modable, has a better power source and stat spread. But it's also loving expensive and training soldiers on the Gespenst can take months, while training soldiers on the Lion can take weeks. Since you can take from a large pool of pilots from the airforce.

Also, going to Gundam? by Victory Gundam most mobile suits had paper for armor, a vulcan could shred the limbs of a mobile suit. Because at that point they figured "gently caress it, go for light, no-armor machines with beam shielding."

But most vulcans in robot stories are designed for Anti-Personnel combat.

Most SRW Real's are based on Gundams, so Gundam weapons seem to make the most sense to use as an example; and if the Lion can't withstand a burst from the Gespenst's weakest weapon, it's trash no matter how moddable it is.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I think you guys may be understating the because DRAMA factor.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

thetruegentleman posted:

Most SRW Real's are based on Gundams, so Gundam weapons seem to make the most sense to use as an example; and if the Lion can't withstand a burst from the Gespenst's weakest weapon, it's trash no matter how moddable it is.

Well it can tank a hit, it in fact did tank a hit from it. Arado is just extremely Lucky. You'll see why in the coming missions

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Seyser Koze posted:

The OGverse pretty much runs on this really.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

thetruegentleman posted:

Under normal circumstances (ie, regular gameplay) a Lion can take a hit from vulcans no problem. Vulcans are garbage weapons only useful for getting those last few hundred HP off missiles. Arado getting shot down is entirely the Power of Plot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Golden BB is a thing, persumably what got hit was nothing more than the computing systems for the lion, which caused it to lose power to the tesla engine, which caused it to plummet, and apparently in a design flaw that also shut down the ejector seat. Lion wasn't destroyed, it didn't explode in mid air, it was shot down and crashed, and being the Randgrith does not fly it wasn't from that high up.

And kyosuke has survived much worse.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Golden BB is a thing, persumably what got hit was nothing more than the computing systems for the lion, which caused it to lose power to the tesla engine, which caused it to plummet, and apparently in a design flaw that also shut down the ejector seat. Lion wasn't destroyed, it didn't explode in mid air, it was shot down and crashed, and being the Randgrith does not fly it wasn't from that high up.

And kyosuke has survived much worse.

Actually It did explode, sorta, in fact Arado's ejection seat not working saved his life as otherwise he would have been fried in the explosion trying to eject. Instead he was banged up but relatively okay in the cockpit.

At least that's how it was in the original game, no idea if it was changed for OGs

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Seyser Koze posted:

Well, also because if SRW was built to have a system where a random vulcan crit could take out a mech from full health you'd be reloading all the drat time because of all those battles you start out outnumbered.

So while what just happened isn't possible in the game engine, that doesn't mean it's not possible-possible.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think this is just someone doing a stupid thing and getting hit with a ridiculously improbable coincidence on top of that.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Edit: Wrong thread, my bad.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 13, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

The Lion was specifically used because

1. It's cheap, like ridiculously easy to slap together for a low price.
2. It can fly.
3. Its controls are similar to a plane, which makes it easier to fly.
4. It's very moddable, as seen by its variants like the Barrelion
5. It has an inbuilt railgun to allow for massed sniping attacks

All that actually makes the Lion a superior weapon to the Gespenst :v:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
TBH I think the typical Crappy Head Gatlings should be a bit better than they are - their explicit purpose on Gundams is to try and hit delicate sensors and cameras on enemies, so a chance to inflict some sort of accuracy/mobility debuff. Not to mention they're of the same caliber as the kinds of machine guns actual fighters carry - in the context of this cutscene I think it makes sense that the Lion, a dime a dozen trooper that's basically a jet with legs ought to get absolutely reamed by the kinds of weapons designed to be effective against it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Modern SRWs do have vulcans inflict an accuracy debuff.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Gyra_Solune posted:

TBH I think the typical Crappy Head Gatlings should be a bit better than they are - their explicit purpose on Gundams is to try and hit delicate sensors and cameras on enemies, so a chance to inflict some sort of accuracy/mobility debuff. Not to mention they're of the same caliber as the kinds of machine guns actual fighters carry - in the context of this cutscene I think it makes sense that the Lion, a dime a dozen trooper that's basically a jet with legs ought to get absolutely reamed by the kinds of weapons designed to be effective against it.

Well, that and kill infantry/lightly armored vehicles without wasting ammo from the main weapons; killing squads of infantry in SRW would be a rather dark turn for the series, though. Now I kind of want to see that happen, actually...

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

thetruegentleman posted:

Well, that and kill infantry/lightly armored vehicles without wasting ammo from the main weapons; killing squads of infantry in SRW would be a rather dark turn for the series, though. Now I kind of want to see that happen, actually...

In most mecha anime the big giant robots are pretty functionally infantry. It's usually considered something amazing and exceptional when someone tries to fight a robot without one of their own...and Master Asia and Alberto legit had a fight in SRW 64!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Gyra_Solune posted:

In most mecha anime the big giant robots are pretty functionally infantry. It's usually considered something amazing and exceptional when someone tries to fight a robot without one of their own...and Master Asia and Alberto legit had a fight in SRW 64!

It's not an anime (or canon, probably), but Mobile Suit Gundam: Operation Troy begs to differ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_lYesRyCM

Edit: Also, this retard:

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 14, 2015

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

Front Mission 3 had you fighting infantry with huge armor piercing rifles. They usually didn't hurt much at all, but in that game any hit could cause you to get stunned or eject from your mech, which could be a serious issue.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure Shiro takes out a Zaku with an RPG in 08th MS Team (by getting underneath it and firing directly up into its crotch).

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It took literally months, but I made it through the thread!

A good rule of thumb I developed while reading is that anyone with an eye:head ratio of 1:4 or bigger is recruitable. Can't wait for princess Shine in a robot :toot:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know what would be cool? A way to find all those cool character backstory posts. I've just spent a long time trying to find them all and failing.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 14

Lamia and Bullet are well on the way to making their required kill counts. Now that we have Kai on the team I need to start farming up for him as well.

But not yet, because we're about to have several missions in a row focusing on other people.

Make up your own dialogue for Katina and/or Russell in this image.

Intro

quote:

Arado remembers his promise to Seolla upon leaving to join Van's uprising: Stay together, stay alive, and find their fellow School children so that one day they can all live together peacefully.

Then he wakes up, alive and in one piece in the Hagane's sick bay, having been rescued by the crew. Excellen and Irm marvel at his luck, then head out to give him and Latooni a little time. Latooni is feeling terrible about what's happened, but Arado is adamant that he doesn't hold a grudge; on the contrary, he's relieved to see how well she's been doing since she left. Still, he knows that Seolla is out there, and starts thinking about how to get clear of the ship to go back to her.

Irm, Kai, and Daitetsu discuss the disturbing results of Arado's physical exam and the tampering the School had done on him. Mentally he seems all right - certainly better than Latooni was - but that will have to wait for a proper evaluation. For the moment they'll be keeping him under guard until they can bring him back to Izu to be held as a POW - a plan that immediately ends when Laker calls to inform them that they'll be heading to Ethiopia to dig the DCs out of the Earth Cradle instead.

At Tesla Reich, Filio meets Jonathan and is introduced to Rishu. He tells them that he has a request...

Ibis and Sleigh have been training with Kusuha, and Ibis is once again underperforming and getting chewed out by Sleigh for it. Ibis has been thinking about the war and asks if they're actually going to have to fight. If it comes to that, Tsugumi advises her to leave the program at once, for her own good.

Later, Ibis unwinds with Kusuha over some tea. She insists that she doesn't fault either Tsugumi or Sleigh for their treatment of her, saying that she just has to do better. She asks Kusuha if she was scared to become a pilot; Kusuha responds that she was, but there were people she had to protect, so she fought through it. Ibis confides that she's never had anything like that kind of strength. She just joined the DCs because it seemed like the right thing to do, and somehow ended up assigned to Project TD. It wasn't until she heard Filio describe the beauty of soaring through the galaxy that she had anything to strive for.

The pilots gather for the next exercise. Master Rishu will be standing by in a Grungust and observing. They launch, and are given a time limit to destroy their targets. Of course, when Sleigh hears Tsugumi's calculations that they should be able to do it faster, the shortened time becomes the new official goal.

Mission 13: Dreaming

As the pre-battle conversation implied, the goal is to wipe out the enemies in five turns, doing it in four for the mastery.

The Tesla Reich battlefield map. We'll be seeing this one a few times as the game progresses. In the hills to the east we have a bunch of basic Waldung tanks and M-ADATS gun turrets.

On our side we have Ibis and Sleigh in their Calions and Kusuha in the Grungust Type-2. Tsugumi's standing by in a Guarlion, but she's an NPC right now and we don't have control of her.

Then we have the Grungust Unit 2, but instead of Master Rishu it lists an AI as the pilot.

We're actually on a fairly tight time limit here, so we need to be proactive and rush in, which can be dangerous on this mission. Kusuha shouldn't have too much trouble, since she can cast Guard if things get hairy.

Unfortunately the Type-2 is still pretty wimpy before it has any morale.

In a nice little remake addition, Kusuha now has her own music.

The Calions have a pretty serious issue. They're light fighter craft, and their dodge rate sucks. This is Sleigh's rate with Focus cast.

Thankfully, the Waldung is made out of tissue paper and won't get the chance to return fire.

Ibis, meanwhile, has even more of a problem. As we mentioned back in Mission 7, she doesn't have Focus. She has Grit. We basically have to hope that she doesn't get unlucky more than once per turn (if being hit on a 40-60% actually qualifies as "unlucky") - or else carefully plot out her movement so that only one enemy can shoot at her.

And since Sleigh needs to rocket to the east edge of the map to get the targets there as quickly as possible, Ibis gets to take on a bunch of enemies by her lonesome.

She does have one thing on her side (maybe) on the enemy phase.

Her Counter skill can trigger and let her pre-empt incoming attacks. Granted, that only helps if she can one-shot the enemy, but again, Waldungs.

It's also sort of undermined by the fact that the M-ADATS don't do anything on the enemy phase, which means you have to attack them, which means they may get to counter (since they have more health and you pretty much have to rely on crits to kill them.)

Basically, your options are few enough on this mission that bad RNG can screw you.

Since the M-ADATS won't do us the favor of killing themselves with counterattacks, we break out some bigger guns on Turn 2.

Kusuha can easily one-shot them with Maxiblaster, which has a colossal range and saves her from needing to chase enemies down.

Sleigh uses Sonic Cutter, crits, and leaves the target alive with a sliver of health.

Ibis uses Sonic Cutter, crits, and one-shots her target. One extra kill's worth of morale makes all the difference.

On the enemy phase of Turn 2, even most of the Waldungs don't bother attacking, except for this one that Kusuha kills (again, thanks to the Maxiblaster's range - not very energy-efficient, though).

At this point we have hit every surviving M-ADATS at least once, so it's just a matter of moving around and hitting everybody one more time. The enemies have stopped moving or doing anything completely at this point. :psyduck:

It still takes us until the fourth turn to wrap things up.

:toot:

Scene

quote:

Phase 2 of the exercise begins, but almost immediately Rishu's mech and the drone turrets begin moving and firing of their own volition. Filio immediately suspects a virus, but it will take time to isolate it. None of the TD ladies know what to do, and it's Kusuha who tells them that they'll have to fight, destroying the drones and immobilizing the Grungust. Neither Ibis nor Tsugumi is prepared for the prospect.

Aaaand on to part 2. We're given a simple "destroy all enemies" objective to wrap things up, because that sounds better than "beat up an old man."

We now have our first twinned enemy squads of the game: five pairs of M-ADATS.

We also have control of Tsugumi, although due to the stress of the situation she and Ibis are both down to 80 morale, which means a penalty to damage dealt and taken. She's a definite support pilot, with Scan and Trust for spirits.

But that does let us scan the rampaging Grungust and see that it has 20,000 HP.

First things first, Tsugumi heals Kusuha up a little bit.

This is one mission where you can't bait the AI into attacking a tanky unit. The turrets will cheerfully ignore Kusuha to go after Tsugumi or Ibis or Sleigh.

Tsugumi: "Th-this is combat... even a small mistake could kill me!"

Interestingly, Tsugumi has Born To Fight for her theme instead of Rail to the Dangerzone like the other general OG2 pilots.

Most enemies go for Ibis. Let me reiterate that 30% is the best she can hope for here. Thankfully she manages to dodge six in a row.

In an ill-advised move I have Tsugumi move closer to the enemies to try and contribute. Immediately she takes two hits in succession and is left a hit away from death. My mistake.

Ibis attacks one and, due to the morale hit, needs Sleigh to help her finish it off. Sleigh moves up and kills off another two with counterattacks.

Scene

quote:

Kusuha tells Ibis that she's always frightened to go into battle, but that she must in order to protect what's important to her; Ibis must do the same, if she wants to see Project TD completed. Ibis is silent for a moment, then announces that she'll be going in, telling Tsugumi to back her up. She does a run on the Grungust, taking a minor hit but inflicting serious damage, and the team resolves to fight.

Aaaand we're back in business. Ibis has her morale back up to a useful level again, so let's wrap things up.

Kusuha casts Guard and commences rolling up the turrets. Sleigh and Ibis team up to go after the Grungust. The 6000 damage that Ibis did during the cutscene did, in fact, actually happen, making things go a little quicker.

Sleigh: "The Grungust... about time I had a proper opponent..."
Rishu: "Never underestimate the battlefield! A single error could be your death!"

Then Ibis moves in to finish the job...

Ibis: "Ugh... how did I end up fighting a super robot?"
Rishu: "Cast your fears aside! Remember your dreams, and steel your will!"

Good thing she had Grit active.

The Grungust grinds to a halt. Rishu lets out a sigh of relief, then reassures Kusuha that he's unharmed; he doesn't train daily for nothing, after all! Still, there are the other turrets to deal with.

And then the M-ADATS focus on Ibis, she takes two hits in a row, and we get to reload to right after Kusuha gives her pep talk. :argh: Next time through, Ibis evades everything instead of countering and still gets hit once, but lives.

On the next turn, we clear everybody out.

The crisis seems to have passed. Jonathan comments that it was seriously touch-and-go there, and the old man confesses that the experience knocked a good twenty minutes off his life. (Jonathan: "Twenty minutes? That's all?" Rishu: "It's not enough? Ah, well, it's all settled now, isn't it? Time for my medicine. Heh heh!")

Filio silently thanks the pilots for their success. At the moment Tsugumi is more interested in the cause of the malfunction...

...but that will have to await further investigation.

Kusuha congratulates Ibis for turning things around, and Ibis thanks her for her words of---

:stare:

Ibis: "Wha!?"
Kusuha: "Ibis!"
Ibis: "Th... the damage's catching up with me now!?"

:ohdear:

Sleigh: "Eject, Ibis!"
Ibis: "I-I can't! There's no time!"
Filio: "Ibis!"

:smithicide:

Closing

quote:

Luckily, Ibis survives her crash with nothing worse than a deep bruise, and sheepishly says that she's done it so often that she's getting good at it. Sleigh has come to see her in the infirmary and seems to have improved her mood for the time being, telling her to hurry up and recover so they can get back to training. Ibis asks her if she hesitated before fighting; Sleigh has to admit that she did, but to protect Project TD there was no choice.

Tsugumi reports the results of her analysis: the malfunctions were definitely the result of sabotage. However, she's sure that there's no chance of a repeat, as the saboteurs have already accomplished their goals. She leaves, and the men trade jabs about having given themselves away. Filio thanks Jonathan and Rishu for their help; he knew that the three girls didn't have the cohesion they'll need to survive the war ahead, and the staged crisis was an effort to shock them into adapting. Rishu asks what would happen if Ibis had been seriously injured, and Filio finally says that he'd have to advise her to drop out of the project - but better to run the risk than to face the certainty of failure if she continued as she was. Filio makes another request of the other men: should anything to happen to him, continue to look after the Project TD personnel in his stead.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know what would be cool? A way to find all those cool character backstory posts. I've just spent a long time trying to find them all and failing.

Yeah, I sort of stopped doing those after a while. When I get some extra time (been a busy couple of months) I'll get the page 1 post re-formatted and updated.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is a lot of filler I dont remember from the GBA version.

Even Though the Calions and their crew were definitely in them. regardless of Hyperion/lion being in OG2 or not.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What is it with these games and causing life or death situations as a learning exercise?

I mean, yes, military, they could die at any time, etc, but this is a distressingly worrying trend, right after teenagers in giant robots and sudden disappearing bra syndrome.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Make up your own dialogue for Katina and/or Russell in this image.
:argh: "I don't care if it is a laser cannon that can split the planet in half, you are face-tanking that RIGHT NOW!"
:smith: "...fine."

Anyhew, I like this bit of Alpha 2 setupfiller. Everyone in Project TD has their own problems, and Filio knows it very well. Ibis has her confidence issues, Sleigh has her personality issues and Tsugumi has her problem of always being on the sidelines and never being in the pilot seat. Filio knows that his team is dysfunctional, knows where they have problems, and is doing what a team leader needs to do: buckle down and give some harsh criticism/feedback, and help his team grow and develop. Admittedly, near-death situations that Filio helped create are not exactly what I'd use to have them face these issues, but it works. Plus, all of this has the side effect of giving Kusuha an added bit of development in becoming a mentor to Ibis and showing how much she's grown from OG1. Also, this whole "hacking" bit is a nice little bit of foreshadowing for a later stage.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Yay more time wasted on filler with the boring as poo poo TD crew :suicide: Who thought giving them more time was good...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seyser Koze posted:

Filio: "Dr. Kazahara... I've come to doubt myself as a scientist. But I have to see them through the fighting to achieve their dreams."
Rishu: "They need to be forged a little further, you're saying."
Filio: "Yes. While I live... my one goal is to see that done."
Jonathan: "....."

Welp. He's dead.

Seriously, just go ahead and make it so that Filio is two days away from retirement with how blatantly you're spelling it out, game.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

A take-off of Coach from Gunbuster having Space Cancer? Perish the thought! Filio'll be fine, don't worry about it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarsDragon posted:

A take-off of Coach from Gunbuster having Space Cancer? Perish the thought! Filio'll be fine, don't worry about it.

Admittedly, I've never seen Gunbuster (and yes, I am aware this needs to be rectified immediately, if not sooner) so the nod flew waaaay over my head. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like how the pilots aren't entirely in the dark about what just happened.

• Locked thread