Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I don't even know what I can say to three old men trying to kill four young girls.
How do these people still get jobs?

Arado might fit into the Hagane just fine if the first thing he wonders about after "dieing" is his lunch.

P.S: ...So Kusuha bought alot of fitness machines because she thought they would increase her bust size? Was that kind of backstory really necessary? Also, I thought Obari only worked on the anime...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Ashram posted:

I don't even know what I can say to three old men trying to kill four young girls.
How do these people still get jobs?

Arado might fit into the Hagane just fine if the first thing he wonders about after "dieing" is his lunch.

P.S: ...So Kusuha bought alot of fitness machines because she thought they would increase her bust size? Was that kind of backstory really necessary? Also, I thought Obari only worked on the anime...

The way she phrases it (形を良くしたい), I would read it more like she wants make them firmer which is a very common exercise.

Same deal as men working out their pecs.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Kusuha buys a lot of fitness stuff because she's really into fitness and health. This was established in OG1 and will continue to be a minor character trait. She bought one particular machine for working on her chest. That's all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Yay more time wasted on filler with the boring as poo poo TD crew :suicide: Who thought giving them more time was good...

I like them. :shobon:

Also, it is cool that Kusuha is getting to be competent and is also inspiring other people to be competent and get stronger. Hopefully she gets to do more this game than the last one.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is there EVER a time where a live fire exercise goes well in these games/shows/settings?

This is probably the best it ever has or ever will go for all involved.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Seyser Koze posted:

Yeah, I sort of stopped doing those after a while. When I get some extra time (been a busy couple of months) I'll get the page 1 post re-formatted and updated.

That's cool, I just wanted to re-read the publication history of a few of the characters, including Masaki. He's the only one I managed to find.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Section Z posted:

Is there EVER a time where a live fire exercise goes well in these games/shows/settings?

This is probably the best it ever has or ever will go for all involved.

R-1 vs. Alt went smoothly enough.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Wasn't that where the Alt completely and utterly wrecked the R-1's poo poo and hosed its own servos in the meantime?

Yeah, I guess that did go about as well as this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hunter Noventa posted:

True, that turned out basically how it was supposed to without any pilots exploding that wasn't caused by "Well, we ARE shooting at eachother".

As opposed to rigged accident crashes, incidental crashes, realizing you left the stove on (and crashing).

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Any giant robot malfunction you can walk away from is "within acceptable parameters" :v:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Alpha 2 was actually the first SRW I played where the characters had defined backstories (as opposed to just having a personality but not much else), and Ibis was the character I picked for my playthrough. She makes a much stronger first impression in Alpha than in the OGverse.

(Alpha 2 spoilers, sort-of-but-not-really related to OG)
In case the dialogue at the end of this mission didn't make it obvious, Filio isn't long for this world. Alpha 2 introduced us to Ibis after Filio had already passed on, but not due to any expected causes - he'd actually been killed in an accident during her training. So right off the bat Ibis has a huge chip on her shoulder (her expressions are almost exclusively neutral/angry until a good chunk of the way through the game), there's a lot of unspoken tension between her and Tsugumi, who's still her engineer and technician, and Sleigh outright loathes her due to having killed her brother.

It's not how things play out in the OGverse, but it's not something you forget.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Seyser Koze posted:

Alpha 2 stuff

I always wondered about Ibis' role, starting in Alpha 2 (I picked Sanger because I wanted a sword that smites evil...and I hadn't played Gaiden yet, so his unusual past seemed pretty cool at the time), but in the OG universe, it almost seems as if she was supposed to be the main pick due to storyline circumstances. After all, her obvious relationship to Filio/Sleigh is played out, and in OGs 2, she's the one who befriends little Irui.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Digital Jello posted:

I always wondered about Ibis' role, starting in Alpha 2 (I picked Sanger because I wanted a sword that smites evil...and I hadn't played Gaiden yet, so his unusual past seemed pretty cool at the time), but in the OG universe, it almost seems as if she was supposed to be the main pick due to storyline circumstances. After all, her obvious relationship to Filio/Sleigh is played out, and in OGs 2, she's the one who befriends little Irui.

Nah. All of the Alpha 2 characters befriend Irui in OG2nd in different scenes. That is how they get around that.

In terms of "who is the canonical protagonist of Alpha 3" it's generally safe to assume 'all of them happened.' In terms of who'd be the main-main protagonist it'd almost certainly be Kusuha due to being around in all three games. Sort of like how Z assumes Setsuko and Rand both happened.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I remember a relatively early mission in the GBA OG2 that's on this(?) map that's a real pain in the rear end, I don't think you've gotten to that point yet

Seems like OGs has a lot more stuff inbetween things, or I could just be remembering wrong

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hivac posted:

I remember a relatively early mission in the GBA OG2 that's on this(?) map that's a real pain in the rear end, I don't think you've gotten to that point yet

Seems like OGs has a lot more stuff inbetween things, or I could just be remembering wrong
The OG2 portion of this game got a lot of added content and plot rewrites. Some of the content is to flesh out characters a bit more for the OG continuity, while others are just manga side stories (like the Valsion Kai CF hijacking) or minor cosmetic retcons from Divine Wars (such as Latooni's new glasses).

We have not reached the mission you are talking about, but yes, it is a pain in the rear end due to its battle mastery involving many prayers to the RNG Gods and relying on a bunch of unupgraded units.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Moved the rest of the character backgrounds to the front page, which means they're current as of about halfway through OG1 when I stopped doing them. :eng99:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Moved the rest of the character backgrounds to the front page, which means they're current as of about halfway through OG1 when I stopped doing them. :eng99:

Yay! Thanks.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I sorta wish they'd stuffed some extra missions into the OG1 part of the game, too, so it'd be less jarring when you got to OG2 and haha nope, here's a bunch of extra stuff!

Also, I think you should link to Irm and Ring's theme songs in that music post :D

Wounded Land fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 20, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If we're doing Image songs, you gotta give props to Lune's.

And Ingram's

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
How about the one for the SRX? (skip to 1:50 for the actual song)

Or for Ryusei

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Let's just list all of the non-spoiler ones, it's easier.

The original Huckebein's Black Hole is sadly only available as someone doing it in Audiosurf, because the world is cruel. The Grungust's Grungust Zan! is fine, though.

Then the Huckebein's MK-II's Vanishing Trooper, and the Grungust Type-2's Cockpit of Steel.

Ryusei actually has two versions of his vocal theme. There's the Burning Version already posted, and the much weirder regular version. Then Rai has Ice Man and Aya has Psychic Energy. Viletta never got her own vocal theme, probably because she shared Time Diver with Ingram up until Alpha Gaiden.

Masaki has Neppu! Shippu! Cybuster!, and Lune's was already posted.

There are a few more for robots we'll see in this game, I'll try to post them when they're relevant.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

MarsDragon posted:

Let's just list all of the non-spoiler ones, it's easier.

The original Huckebein's Black Hole is sadly only available as someone doing it in Audiosurf, because the world is cruel. The Grungust's Grungust Zan! is fine, though.

That would be quite terrible...if it were true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnvXiPkMN4

:colbert:

Edit: I kid, of course...Vanishing Trooper is tops.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 20, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish Viletta had kept Time Diver. It's a great song, and her new one really isn't good.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wish Viletta had kept Time Diver. It's a great song, and her new one really isn't good.

Whether or not you like her new one, it has the best name. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Whether or not you like her new one, it has the best name. :colbert:

That, I can't disagree with. It's a great name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9swhDixrWY

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

That would be quite terrible...if it were true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnvXiPkMN4

:colbert:

Edit: I kid, of course...Vanishing Trooper is tops.

Well maybe if they put "Huckebein" in their title somewhere, people would be able to find it!

EDIT: Speaking of Viletta and themes, there's a guy who does his own vocal versions of SRW themes, and his version (Nicovideo) of Woman the Cool Spy has the even better line "woman the truth eyes".

This man is my hero.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 20, 2015

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

MarsDragon posted:

Well maybe if they put "Huckebein" in their title somewhere, people would be able to find it!

It doesn't use SRW or the pilot's name either: the best I can think of is that the uploader is trying to avoid getting found by a DRM bot who would auto-flag the whole channel, while still leaving it public. I've seen similar takedowns happen to a fair number of YouTube channels who uploaded SRW or Touhou music, so it wouldn't be unprecedented; if the actual reason is something else, well... :shrug:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 15

Imagine that the killboard is unchanged from the previous mission. Because it is.

:eng101: Because we've got another new mission!

Intro

quote:

Rishu shows Filio the data on Murata's Guarlion that Bullet sent him. Filio doesn't recognize it, but Rishu does: a former disciple of his who turned his back on his teachings to seek pleasure from his swordwork. At this rate, it will fall to Rishu to discipline his wayward student.

Still in the Hagane's brig, Arado complains to himself about his predicament. Latooni has been watching the whole time, and Kai has likewise been watching her; she tells him that she's been hoping that he could change, the same way she did. Kai decides to talk to Daitetsu about it.

Ryusei goes over possible motion data for SRX, using some suggestions that Bullet has given him based on Rishu's teachings. Rai takes a dim view of all of this, prompting an immediate standoff in which Ryusei complains that Rai doesn't do enough to help out in operating the mech. Rai proceeds to rattle off a lengthy list of all his duties in keeping SRX combined, forcing Ryusei to back down; Rai eventually agrees to meet him halfway, and they sort of reconcile. Meanwhile, Bullet has been thinking about Arado, being generally disgusted with his predicament as an unwilling child soldier.

On the bridge, Daitetsu agrees to Kai's proposal, provided that Arado's psych evaluation pans out. However, he has another matter for Kai's ears, one that Laker has brought to his attention: Federation units have begun disappearing in space, in the L2 sector. Given the missing troops' distance from the recent action, it seems doubtful that the Divine Crusaders are responsible. In any case, the Hiryu Kai will be investigating, as they've just returned from the asteroid belt.

Cut to the Hiryu, which has arrived ahead of schedule. Lefina is conspicuously absent from the bridge, causing Eun some worries.

Tasuku has been making modifications to the Giganscudo at Marion's (remote) direction, upgrading it to the Giganscudo Duro (or "Gan-Duro," as Katina immediately christens it). His next project will be the Siegerlion upgrade for Leona, which he considers a labor of love. Leona isn't too impressed with his attempts at romance.

The alarm sounds, as unknown machines approach the ship. Lefina bursts onto the bridge after being roused out of bed, still in her nightie and with a stuffed animal in tow. Sean makes a small effort to keep things professional while they respond to the threat.

The interceptors launch, but things are immediately suspicious; there are far too few Cosmolions to take on the Hiryu.

Mission 15: For Whom You Carry the Shield

Our initial objective is simply to wipe out the enemies, no battle mastery as of yet.

The map consists of us (Katina in her Katina!Gespenst, Russell in his Gespenst, Tasuku in the Giganscudo, Leona in a Guarlion) versus four Cosmolions.

Of some note is that Katina is not quite as offensively front-loaded as she was in the first game; she still starts with Revenge, but her initial Attacker skill has been swapped out with Level 1 Counter. Counter is situationally useful, as Ibis demonstrated last mission, but Attacker is generally a default must-have skill so I'll have to buy it for her anyway. Oh, and she still starts with Valor but has no survivability spirits in her initial lineup. :sigh:

Also of note is that despite OG2 taking pains to point out the fact that Support Attack and Support Defense are now separate skills, in awkward ways (Excellen! :argh:), Russell begins with level 2 in both supports despite officially being a human punching bag.

Lefina gets... her very own pilot portrait for this mission.

Anyway, no real surprises from Leona or Tasuku, so let's get to work. As Lefina suggested, the Hiryu is locked in place, so there's nothing but to move our guys forward.

And the enemies respond by moving towards the north (or what passes for "north" in space) end of the map and completely ignoring us.

On the second phase, everybody's noticed that the enemies aren't playing along, which seems like an obvious ploy to draw them away from the Hiryu. Katina yells for Tasuku and Leona to stay back and guard the carrier while she and Russell take out the Cosmolions.

Even though this is an obvious setup I continue to have Katina and Russell chase after the Guarlions. For drama. Or because I'm retarded. :saddowns:

Enemy phase, the Cosmolions continue to proceed northwards, with all the excitement that this deinterlaced action shot can muster. And then Katina and Russell continue to pursue, because derp.

On the third enemy phase, more enemies arrive, led by Murata.

He orders his men to delay the ship until the Garibaldi can withdraw from the area, but also to retreat should it look like their mechs are in danger. Privately he grouses about the underwhelming opposition; he'd been hoping for a super robot worthy of unsheathing his blade.

Sean: "That's a more reasonable number."
Lefina: "But it's still too few to sink a ship that survived the DC War and L5 campaign."
Sean: (Th... the stuffed animal's face...)
Lefina: "XO, prepare to engage."
Sean: "Yes, ma'am. Do remember that the gravity cannon is still offline."
Lefina: "I understand."
Sean: (What is this... it's like ventriloquism.)

Katina yells for Tasuku and Leona to hold the line until she and Russell can get back.

And we have a new victory objective, which is to drive off all the enemy units by knocking them below 40% health. Our battle mastery, however, is to bring at least seven of them down to zero. With only five units on the field that could actually be tricky.

It's a little difficult to capture in screenshots, but Murata brought five Cosmolions with him, as well as a bunch of Barrelions and Barrelion-Vs and his own Guarlion Mumyou.

It being the enemy phase, the Cosmolions immediately go for Leona. The Cosmolions have the lowest health of all the enemies, so they're the ideal targets for demolition, but they're still a little too hefty for Leona to one-shot at neutral morale.

So she dices them up a little bit instead.

Barrelions are made of douche and bag as a general rule, and accordingly these Barrelions don't move during this turn, in an effort to lure us forward to engage the Cosmos and thus enter their attack range without forcing them to move forward.

On the next player phase Katina and Russell come running back.

Honestly, this mission is annoying as hell. Leona attacked this guy, now Tasuku follows up...

And leaves them with a sliver of health, meaning they retreat without contributing to the battle mastery.

Let's reload and try to soften up a fresh target with the Hiryu instead.

Eun: "Enemy craft inbound!"
Lefina: "All guns, commence bombardment!"
Eun: (...I remember seeing that stuffed animal back at the Academy. She still has it?)

Sean: "Hm. Appearing like that should double the crew's morale..."
Lefina: "It... it should quadruple their morale at least!?"

Ah, Lefina. Sean is training you well.

Then I spend a while unsuccessfully trying to finish people off with Leona before giving in and just having her soften up a fresh target. :eng99:

On the bright side, that initial pack of Cosmolions has changed its mind about trying to flee. I am still on a time limit, though.

Somebody goes for Tasuku while already being damaged.

He shows them the error of their ways.

Despite having just exploded, the enemies still depart with the "retreat" animation.

Tasuku: "What the---!? They're just running away!"
Katina: "Don't follow! The others are still after the Hiryu!"

Katina warning Tasuku not to go kill-crazy and charge out of formation. Now I've seen everything. :stare:

Well, now it's time to bring the pain. Tasuku's more defensively oriented, but Leona has Sonic Breaker. Surely she can---

Oh, gently caress you, game. So we reload and guard through yet another round of attacks. We still have to finish six more of them off, incidentally.

On my second attempt Leona crits the Cosmolion and finishes it off. I'm trying to avoid overtly savescumming during this playthrough (outside of that one "event" where it's expected :ssh:) but apparently I was drinking when I recorded this and I forgot. Just let this stand as a monument to my lack of gaming integrity. Anyway, that's 2 out of 7 KO'd.

Then for an encore Leona Sonic Breakers the poo poo out of another Cosmo and puts as at 3/7. I'll just think of my Sonic Breaker use as payback for all those fights against Tempest in the first game.

The Barrelions take their shots from range. At least they have enough health that I can shoot back with impunity without fear of chasing them off early.

On the next turn, Tasuku and Leona take out the last two Cosmolions (not counting the guys in the initial wing, who are still way out of position.) Katina and Russell are still heading back towards the main group. 5 out of 7.

Enemy phase, Tasuku Giga Blasters half the health off of one Barrelion. :kamina:

Then Leona knocks not one, but two Barrels down below the retreat threshold and they run away. Oops.

The Barrel-Vs move up and get some decent chunks taken out of them, but still. We've got to take this last round seriously.

So Katina does what she does best and Valors up for some death-bringing glory. (Also, Jet Magnum has a 105 morale requirement in this game, compared to 110 in the last.)

GAZE UPON YOUR HETEROCHROMATIC DOOM AND DESPAIR

...She's still working on the "defense" thing.

Lefina: "Give our strike force some fire support!"
Sean: "So things are unchanged, even now, eh?"

Lefina: "Huh? Th-they are?"
Eun: "Captain, perhaps we should finish carrying out this order, and quickly."

6 of 7.

And Tasuku just goes ahead and wallops the last one with Giga Wide Blaster for the finish.

<toot>

:toot:

But the mission doesn't end right there, so we've got another turn or so of doing the Barrelion shuffle.

At this point I no longer care about finishing them off. Shoo!

While we're waiting, there's something I ought to show off.

Yup.

Ouch.

Anyway, on the next enemy phase Leona drives off the remaining Barrelions, and then things proceed.

Lorenzo contacts Murata and tells him to retreat; the Garibaldi has completed its withdrawal. Murata is silent for a moment before ordering the other DCs to leave, but doesn't retreat himself.

When Lorenzo asks why he hasn't left yet, he just responds that the hunt isn't over yet and that he'll meet up with them later, then cuts the transmission.

Katina is impressed that the enemy commander is staying on the field alone; looks like he's got some balls after all! For his part, Murata has already marked his opponent...

Tasuku: "Ugh! This guy's fast!"
Murata: "Hmhmm... sturdy work. Effective against blades..."

Leona: "Tasuku, fall back! The Giganscudo can't handle that speed!"
Tasuku: "Ooh? Are you worried about me? I'm so glad!"
Leona: "Idiot! That's not the point here!"
Tasuku: "Heh! The Gigan stood up to the Boss' Zankanto! This guy won't cut through it so easily! Stay back, Leona, this guy's my opponent!"
Leona: "I'm saying it's impossible!"

Tasuku: "Aww, can't you have some confidence in your boyfriend..."
Leona: "You're not my boyfriend!"
Tasuku: "Or at least play along a little..."
Leona: "Just get out of the way! The Giganscudo's---"
Tasuku: "It's fine, I've got it covered! ...More or less."

So now we get to deal with Murata in the Guarlion Mumyou. As we might recall from Mission 5, he has way too much health and does way too much damage, and we're facing him with three light real robots, one super robot, and a battleship. If you are dumb like me, you will try to fight him instead of just pushing the plot triggers.

Leona manages not to get hit.

Russell takes a hit for Tasuku. With the aid of Guard he can tank a few.

Tasuku zaps Murata, but the big guy's got plenty more health.

On the next turn Russell gets countered for a big chunk of health. Murata gives no fucks about Guard if you're not support-defending somebody.

Then Tasuku gets smacked as well. Exactly as planned. :cool:

Scene

quote:

The Giganscudo's taking a pounding. Leona's attempts to get Tasuku to withdraw end up getting Murata's attention. Tasuku immediately rushes to her rescue, but the resulting hit slices the Gigan's shield units into uselessness.

Unperturbed, Tasuku calls the Hiryu to deliver "the you-know-what." After some comic banter, the upgrades he's been working on are launched; the Giganscudo jettisons the useless shields and docks with its sheath anchors instead, finally upgrading to the Giganscudo Duro.

At this point Tasuku casts a free, and much-appreciated, Guts and Guard.

Let's kick things off. The Giganscudo Duro trades in the old shield units for a pair of giant alligator clips, replacing the Giganscudo's old Gigante Uragano finisher with tje more powerful Gigante Unghia.

"Let's go! Giganskadodo... do..."

"Ow! My tongue! Ah, screw it. Gan-Duro! LET'S GO!"

:kamina:

Then Murata does his super-slash, which still would've knocked off half the Gan-Duro's health if Tasuku still didn't have his Guard effect from the cutscene.

At this point you're just waiting Murata out. If you knock him below 40% health you can trigger the end of the mission early, but at this point you don't have the resources to go toe-to-toe with him for that long. The Hiryu and the Gan-Duro can tank a hit or two, and positioning Russell to support-defend could let you get away with another, but that's about it.

I actually came close to the cutoff, but Tasuku ran out of weapon energy, and 10-damage Weapon Breaker hits aren't going to cut it. (To add insult to injury, the Mumyou has weapon block, so I didn't even get the satisfaction of weakening his attacks.)

Anyway, a couple turns after the Giganscudo Duro is unveiled, Murata realizes that he'll miss his rendezvous if he delays any longer.

Murata: "...I haven't been entertained this thoroughly in a while. Perhaps we'll meet again."

The Mumyou withdraws, and Sean breathes a sigh of relief; these unknowns gave us quite a run for our money.

Katina calls Tasuku up to congratulate him on his gutsy play, but his response is subdued. When pressed, he says that he spent a lot of time preparing this, but when push came to shove, the whole thing felt like he just succeeded by the skin of his teeth. Did it really just come down to his luck in the end?

"Well, in the end, we all made it through. Let's go back."

Closing

quote:

Things seem to be quiet following the DC withdrawal, although Sean urges caution. Lefina timidly asks if she can go change. After some glaring from Eun, the XO gives his permission; a second later Eun asks if she can follow (to which he also grants permission.)

Lefina retreats to the safety of her quarters, thoroughly embarrassed by her display during the mission. A moment later Eun knocks at her cabin door. Lefina's fully expecting a reprimand, but Eun's just there to remind her that everybody has the utmost faith in their captain - it won't be shaken by something like this.

Meanwhile, Leona chews Tasuku out for his recklessness during the mission; after his efforts to salvage the Giganscudo's cursed reputation in the eyes of the colonies, getting it destroyed out here would be pure foolishness. Tasuku protests that there's no other option when the woman he loves is in danger - and in fact, that was the entire reason he went along with Marion's modifications in the first place. Leona reacts to this in standard anime fashion.

Murata returns to the Garibaldi to meet up with Lorenzo, who immediately reprimands him for his conduct during the mission. They're here in the L2 sector to look for the Death's Head, a mobile production facility commissioned by the EOT Council before the DC War. Unfortunately Lorenzo hasn't laid eyes on it himself, but Isurugi built it and Rose claims the information is authentic. Either way, the DCs need an outpost in outer space. Murata isn't happy about being stuck in the middle of nowhere when the action is elsewhere, but takes small consolation from one fact: the recent Federation disappearances were definitely not the Divine Crusaders' doing.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
After catching up on the last few updates, I'm fairly impressed at the little bits of information mentioned here and there about certain plot elements eluding to OGG. I'm not calling out any spoilers, but It kind of makes OGG seem interesting all of a sudden (which, in my opinion, has one of the more boring stories of the OG series).

Also, was Murata pulled from the Masou Kishin series? Or am I thinking of someone else? He seems weirdly familiar, but maybe I'm making that up. The SRW universe is huge.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
A. THAT LEFINA PICTURE. I got into the SRW series (just through the SRTOG games, sadly) back in 2008, when a buddy gave me his extra copies of the GBA titles. He also linked me to a site that had all the character icons, and Lefina gets even the one with Dandy-Lion MK II on her head as a battle dialogue "thumbnail". I've sometimes wondered here and there, where the heck did it come from. 7 years to wait for the answer. XD

B. OG2 was where I started to like Katina as a character and a unit (before it was just as a useful glass cannon.) OGS here has managed to make me like her even more now. :3:

C. Despite that I'm a Kyo/Ex fan first and foremost, I've always found Leona/Tasuku's relationship to be cute to watch. This opinion is just being reinforced by this new scene.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Okay, some of the extra missions so far have been kinda dumb (hell, some of the missions in general are pretty dumb) but that whole update was really great :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I really don't like Murata. Maybe it's the good old "Integrity of the original" sense kicking in but he just irks me. Maybe it's his HP count, I hate seeing a number like that in the early game.

EDIT: Oh, this is the second thing I hate about OG2. A reccuring theme of "Got a chance to use these guys in... one mission? Guess what, next mission they're gone, have fun taking on this map with no upgrades or any other preparation."

The later section of this game where it happens is by far the worst part of it. Especially since it can make Battle Masteries and secrets feel more like rolling the dice.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
That scene with Lefina appearing in her nightwear isn't nearly as funny as in the anime, I must say. There she appears like this too, but just doesn't give a gently caress about it.

Also it's nice to see that at least in OG, mecha pilots can admit their feelings to eachother.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Digital Jello posted:

Also, was Murata pulled from the Masou Kishin series? Or am I thinking of someone else? He seems weirdly familiar, but maybe I'm making that up. The SRW universe is huge.

Murata and Lorenzo are both from one of the OG spinoff manga series. Masoukishin has a couple GRR ANGRY BEARD characters, so you'd be forgiven for mixing them up.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I'm amused as hell that Lefina sleeps with the mascot from Bleach.
Also...
"It would be good to be finding Death's Head, yes?"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dandy-Lion Mk2 should be scaled up and be made a real mech.
He even has lion in the name.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So in our cast right now, how many of these mechs could be piloted in your pajamas?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

I really don't like Murata. Maybe it's the good old "Integrity of the original" sense kicking in but he just irks me. Maybe it's his HP count, I hate seeing a number like that in the early game.
Murata's problem is that while he's tied to Rishu, Sanger, and Bullet, he's...not a good addition. He's just there to try and give development to a couple of characters, but they manage to gently caress up that as well, resulting in him being "Recurring Bearded Samurai Enemy with High HP and Armor" that annoys you.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I think I lost this mission at first, mostly out of not really bothering to read the requirements.

I've nevr liked the Ganduro as much as the regular Gigan, mostly because Sheath Thunder was such a useful move and it loses it. I think they fix Gigan Knuckle in OGG to where it's not range 1, which helps a bit, but there's still a loss of utility. Combined with OG not handling tanking well until like 2ndOG and the poor Gigan really gets hit hard by power creep. Meanwhile Leona stays MVP grunt-sweeper for a good chunk of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

So in our cast right now, how many of these mechs could be piloted in your pajamas?

I think all of them except Sanger's custom mechs are based on the more traditional flight-joysticks-and-levers mecha cockpit to some degree?

Sanger, on the other hand, uses some mocap G Gundam poo poo because of course he does.

• Locked thread