Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I still have yet to ever see the Kusuha/Bullet route for Alpha 3. I'm told it just has more appearances of Son Ganlong's amazing hat more than anything. (/ignorance is my bliss, since the only route I ever played was Selena's, whose rival was a badass bitch with a retarded name.) I need to refresh my memories on the Alpha skill sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So not only do you have to mow down all those units within two turns, but you have to have enough units left to reposition and respond to the enemy spawn?

Battle masteries are cruel.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

So not only do you have to mow down all those units within two turns, but you have to have enough units left to reposition and respond to the enemy spawn?

Battle masteries are cruel.

This one wasn't bad, since Garoikas are made of tissue paper and Leona can fly circles around them.

But if, for example, you spread out and had Katina/Russell take half and Tasuku/Leona take the other half (probably to spread kills out, since that's what you'd do under normal circumstances), you'd get a nasty surprise when the second wave showed up and swarmed Katina to death.

Basically, battle masteries punish you for not knowing what's coming in advance.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
SRW teaches us the valuable lesson that the only way to master something is to mess up then turn back time to try again.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Or to read exactly how to do it on the internet.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

BlitzBlast posted:

SRW teaches us the valuable lesson that the only way to master something is to mess up then turn back time to try again.

i'm pretty sure someone in alpha 3 has reloaded to an earlier save immediately after 'i wish that i could turn back time' in kom susser tod

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

I still have yet to ever see the Kusuha/Bullet route for Alpha 3. I'm told it just has more appearances of Son Ganlong's amazing hat more than anything. (/ignorance is my bliss, since the only route I ever played was Selena's, whose rival was a badass bitch with a retarded name.) I need to refresh my memories on the Alpha skill sets.

You also get to see Sanger smiting Bullet while Kusuha (and a character who we have yet to see in OGs) laugh about it.

Also Kusuha is pretty amazing in Alpha 3. Starts with Support Attack and Guard for 10 Sp (though that could be because of the "11/11 B" birthday)

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ashram posted:

You also get to see Sanger smiting Bullet while Kusuha (and a character who we have yet to see in OGs) laugh about it.

Also Kusuha is pretty amazing in Alpha 3. Starts with Support Attack and Guard for 10 Sp (though that could be because of the "11/11 B" birthday)

It's absolutely because of 11/11 B. It's the director's birthday and blood type, so it gets a specially busted spirit set.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Ashram posted:

I never knew that about Kusuha's starter skills; I've been looking them up and honestly, I'm a little mad I never played her route, but I had little time with Alpha 3. I only chose Selena cause I liked her theme music the best and because I already played Sanger to death in Alpha 2.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Materant posted:

It's absolutely because of 11/11 B. It's the director's birthday and blood type, so it gets a specially busted spirit set.

Well it is Kusuha, so being busted is expected, ho ho.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Kusuha's actual default for @3 is: Attune(20)/Alert(10)/Spirit(40)/Valor(40)/Bonds(60)/Love(60)

SP costs in parentheses.

It's an okay set, but Spirit is a little sad read: completely useless after the upgrade when Bullet has Drive. She'd also get a lot more out of Invincible than Alert.

Incidentally, her default in @2 is: Strike/Gain/Invincible/Spirit/Valor/Zeal, Ibis' is: Focus/Alert/Accel/Valor/Fury/Soul and Sanger's is: Strike/Spirit/Alert/Accel/Valor/Fury.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I kinda wish there would be an SRW where you could choose which characters go on which routes (those who aren't essential to the plot, at least); I'd totally put Katina & Russel with Kai.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Wounded Land posted:

I kinda wish there would be an SRW where you could choose which characters go on which routes (those who aren't essential to the plot, at least); I'd totally put Katina & Russel with Kai.

I seem to recall there being parts of J where some non-plot required mechs would follow the player choice, but I could be crazy, it's been a while.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I seem to recall there being parts of J where some non-plot required mechs would follow the player choice, but I could be crazy, it's been a while.

Yep.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
That is true; in fact, you can have Mazinkaiser's finale happen without Kouji & company being there if you take the space route at the right point.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Wounded Land posted:

Speaking as a writer who's tried to make amateur roleplaying games with that level of branching, it's a loving nightmare. If you wonder why Bioware games tend to do things like let you choose to kill someone and then slot in another character who fulfills an identical role in the story, that's why.

EDIT: Next update might be out tomorrow. Unless it isn't. In which case it won't be out until next week sometime.

Double EDIT: I should sit down and finish J sometime. Except that it has Gundam SEED in it. *shudder*

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 11, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
SEED is not the problem in J. Not by a longshot.

That said, find something with a good MAP attack and just grind through the last few stages, you can do it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarsDragon posted:

SEED is not the problem in J. Not by a longshot.

That said, find something with a good MAP attack and just grind through the last few stages, you can do it.

gundam seed is a problem wherever it appears :catstare:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Seyser Koze posted:

It's been a long time since I played Z, but I remember being so mad at Seed Destiny while playing through that game. I remember something about the heroes being forced to split because of some obviously photoshopped video...

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

Counterpoint: W and SEED Astray.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarsDragon posted:

Counterpoint: W and SEED Astray.

and W handled SEED by making kira and lacus peripheral characters throughout

my point is proven :colbert:

vibratingsheep posted:

It's been a long time since I played Z, but I remember being so mad at Seed Destiny while playing through that game. I remember something about the heroes being forced to split because of some obviously photoshopped video...

SEED had the problem of wanting to preach a super-important-and-topical-socio-political-message about how war and conflict are bad and handling it in the most hamfisted, strawmanny way possible. That eventually carried over into Destiny.

You know how Gundam Wing ends with this kinda silly, handwavy "and then everybody agreed to make nice and destroy all their weapons, and then war was over forever." And then Endless Waltz came back with "lol yeah, it's never as simple as that, is it? The good guys had to go get their weapons back and then agree to be world police forever." SEED and Destiny are like that, except that instead of admitting that things may not be so simple, it basically doubles down on everything the first series did wrong.

I've watched and enjoyed all kinds of silly/stupid/perverse anime, but Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny remain the only ones to actually make me angry when I saw them, thanks to the Ayn Rand/Terry Goodkind/Left Behind-esque anvil-dropping throughout.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 11, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

and W handled SEED by making kira and lacus peripheral characters throughout

my point is proven :colbert:

Just choose the non-SEED route splits. You also get Great Zeorymer that way, so it's clearly the intended path.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just choose the non-SEED route splits. You also get Great Zeorymer that way, so it's clearly the intended path.
Choosing the Great Zeorymer path also results in dealing with a lot of Brain Powered's crazy story. And you lose out on the Nadesico secrets and Layzner Mk.II as well.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

AradoBalanga posted:

Choosing the Great Zeorymer path also results in dealing with a lot of Brain Powered's crazy story. And you lose out on the Nadesico secrets and Layzner Mk.II as well.

But... but Great Zeorymer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Logicblade posted:

But... but Great Zeorymer.

But Brain Powerd. Zeorymer isn't an indication of the better path, but an apology.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I liked the Brain Powerd stages, made me want to watch the anime (I've yet been unable to find it). :shrug:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked the Brain Powerd stages, made me want to watch the anime (I've yet been unable to find it). :shrug:

It's out of print, probably because its only notable feature is an OP entirely composed of naked flybys of the female cast.

I was introduced to the series by Alpha 2, so I thought I'd check it out, and immediately I was like "wait, really?"

I love me some gratuitous fanservice, but this was something else entirely.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Seyser Koze posted:

It's out of print, probably because its only notable feature is an OP entirely composed of naked flybys of the female cast.

I was introduced to the series by Alpha 2, so I thought I'd check it out, and immediately I was like "wait, really?"

I love me some gratuitous fanservice, but this was something else entirely.

It was because I believe Brain Powered was a headline show for a new channel where a big selling point was "We can do whatever we want, Tomino, give us boobs!"

Although the entire show is a Tomino drug trip.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

It was because I believe Brain Powered was a headline show for a new channel where a big selling point was "We can do whatever we want, Tomino, give us boobs!"

Although the entire show is a Tomino drug trip.

I'm going to assume that this channel was the Japanese UPN and Brain Powered was its Star Trek: Voyager.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Seyser Koze posted:

I'm going to assume that this channel was the Japanese UPN and Brain Powered was its Star Trek: Voyager.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOWOW

Not sure, it gave us a lot of shows.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

You know how Gundam Wing ends with this kinda silly, handwavy "and then everybody agreed to make nice and destroy all their weapons, and then war was over forever." And then Endless Waltz came back with "lol yeah, it's never as simple as that, is it? The good guys had to go get their weapons back and then agree to be world police forever."

Actually, EW's ending is literally "wars happened again but they stopped using Mobile Weapons" because apparently you *can* put the genie back in the bottle? It was kind of a "gently caress you, go away" ending.

And everything I see about Brain Powerd makes it look like Tomino was tired of being "Kill-'Em-All" and decided to go in the opposite direction in the dumbest way possible. The only possible upside to BP is that he probably wouldn't have done King Gainer if he hadn't done BP first.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Did Zeorymer only ever appear in J?

On a side note, I never understood why Banpresto went with Hades Project Zeorymer; I kinda feel like it's barely known and the story, while creative, isn't nearly long enough to be entertaining. If they had to pick one of Takaya's works, shouldn't it have been Guyver? I mean, if Tekkaman can get away with appearing in SRWs, Gigantic-G and Aptom shouldn't be out of the question :colbert:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Digital Jello posted:

On a side note, I never understood why Banpresto went with Hades Project Zeorymer; I kinda feel like it's barely known and the story, while creative, isn't nearly long enough to be entertaining. If they had to pick one of Takaya's works, shouldn't it have been Guyver? I mean, if Tekkaman can get away with appearing in SRWs, Gigantic-G and Aptom shouldn't be out of the question :colbert:

It was also in MX.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Digital Jello posted:

MX is a really phenomenal game and you should play it. As a huge Zeorymer fan (and a huger Dendoh fan), I'm not biased or anything. It also has Dragonar (but isn't SRW A)! And Machine Robo (but isn't SRW Impact)! MX's only real flaws are that it's super easy and it predates the faster, more customizable current SRW UI. It has a great story, great series list, great secrets, and an okay original. If I wasn't so bogged down with life stuff (and if there weren't so many already active SRW LPs) I'd LP MX.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I had no idea Zeorymer was in MX. It was one of those SRW games I deliberately missed because I felt the OG story was covered in 2nd OGs (MX is the one with Hugo, Aqua, creepy Dr. Elde, and AI-1, right? Or am I continuing to confuse my SRWs?) I do need to get around to playing it some time, though. The 3 Z3s ( :dance: ) have been consuming my SRW fix at the moment.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
MX's biggest flaw is that the opening movie promises all these cross-series team attacks that the game totally fails to deliver.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

I had no idea Zeorymer was in MX. It was one of those SRW games I deliberately missed because I felt the OG story was covered in 2nd OGs (MX is the one with Hugo, Aqua, creepy Dr. Elde, and AI-1, right? Or am I continuing to confuse my SRWs?) I do need to get around to playing it some time, though.
Yes, that is where Hugo and Aqua debuted in.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 17, Ethiopia Route

I've never been to Africa before. Let's go there.

Of course, I've never been to the moon either.

Daitetsu: "Good. Then once Lieutenant Excellen is away, we'll continue."
Tetsuya: "Aye-aye, Captain."

:kamina:

The game takes the liberty of reassigning everybody to their "proper" mechs once the battle begins, but I'm reassigning Kai to the Grungust again for starters. Irm gets the Armorlion.

Bullet and Excellen wave goodbye to Kusuha at the beginning of Mission 7. Kyosuke can't be bothered. :effort:

Intro

quote:

In the Earth Cradle, Dr. Agilla Setme awakens Ouka Nagisa from her artificial slumber.

Van and Vindel discuss the Federation forces mobilizing to attack them, but Van doesn't expect Desert Cross to be impeded. Vindel is more concerned about the Hagane, and asks Van to let him send forces to intercept the ship specifically. After some pause, Van agrees. Archibald arrives at last, and he and Vindel are introduced; Vindel notes that on this side, Archibald serves the Divine Crusaders.

Carla and Yuuki look at the Earth Cradle's interior, duly impressed. Trying to keep things light, Carla says that she'll have plenty of room to practice her dancing; Yuuki doesn't see the point, since there will be no end to the fighting for either of them, any time soon. Even when the Federation is defeated, the aliens will come immediately after.

Lemon is irritated with Vindel for sending their limited forces against the Hagane, especially since the only advanced weapons they can field are the R-Eins, which will be a clear warning to Helios. When she sees that Vindel isn't changing his mind, she decides to send W16 to lead the unit; she will verify W17's status if possible.

Ouka and Agilla go to meet Seolla, still in depression after the loss of Arado. Ouka comforts her, saying that it wasn't her fault - then surprises her by adding that it's not Latooni's fault either, as the Federation is no doubt controlling her. Ouka asks to go out in the next sortie, and Agilla agrees to let her accompany Vindel's forces. Meanwhile, Seolla will rest. After both girls depart, Agilla comments that Arado's death is no great loss to the program, though it may be necessary to reprogram Seolla to function as a single unit. Much more intriguing is the revelation that Latooni is now fighting of her own will. It's enough to make Agilla want to reclaim her...

In the Hagane's hangar, Lamia worries about her inability to contact the main force, especially when they'll meet in combat so soon. Bullet asks about her unease, and Irm adds that she looks like a little girl who's lost her mother. Kyosuke watches in silence as Lamia stammers a reply.

The alarm sounds, and all units deploy. The enemy forces are composed of Gespensts with Tesla Drives - about the last thing Irm would expect, given that Gespies are no longer in production by either the Federation (abandoned in favor of the Huckebein) or the Divine Crusaders (since Lions are more cost-effective). Lamia recognizes the main force at once.

Mission 17: Ephemeral Blossom

Objectives: Wipe the enemies out, in six turns for the battle mastery. Losing either Lamia or Latooni is a game over.

We're on a long, narrow map, with a small army of Gesnpests in our way.

We know who we have on our side. In addition to the usual crew, automatically deployed are Lamia, as well as Latooni in - god drat it, game, why do you do this to me - a Huckebein Mk. II. She's forced into it, which increasingly makes me wonder why they even bothered including the Wildraubtier in the remake.

We spend our first turn trudging forward.

The first line of enemy Gespensts do likewise.

We'll have Bullet draw first blood. He needs a few more kills. He's got an upgraded main weapon, how hard could it be?

...Slight problem. These Gespensts have quite a bit of health, considering that we're still in the teens. Chakram Shooter is fully upgraded and still can't take them down in one shot.

Also. Those pilots aren't DCs. We've seen them somewhere before, though...

At least their accuracy is pretty poo poo.

Lamia needs kills almost as much as Bullet, so she'll take the forward position.

Lamia: (I can't use my covert transmitter, but if I use our encryption...)

Lamia: (...No response. But they should be aware.)

A good hit from most weapons is still 50% of their health. Good thing we have plenty of turns to take them out.

Lamia's beam coating keeps her safe, at least for now.

Nobody else can actually get close enough to engage yet.

The second enemy phase changes that. I really, really wish Latooni had the Raubtier right now.

By the second turn, Bullet is able to hit just right. On a crit, he can still take the enemy Gespies out in one shot.

Most of the Gespies who get close enough choose to fire on the Hagane. Thankfully it can hit reasonably well.

Lamia slugs it out with enemies on the right side.

The Armorlion doesn't have the upgrades that Bullet does, so Latooni chips in with supports to help Irm clean up on the left.

We've also got that time limit to keep in mind, so Bullet moves all the way up to engage the second line of Gespensts.

I need to farm morale for Kai (for an upcoming encounter), but the enemy he goes after isn't cooperating. Easy experience for the Hagane.

On the third enemy phase, the first line is mostly cleared out. Most of the second line goes for Bullet, but is just out of his range. Not all, though. :cool:

Lamia finishes off the first line in the meantime, with a little help from Irm.

The second line doesn't last long versus Bullet and Kai (although I did screw up by switching the Grungust to Gustlander mode - these Gespies are airborne, which means Drill Attack can't hit them at all).

And in the middle of turn 5, they're cleared out. :toot:

Scene

quote:

Another wave of Gespensts appears, along with a surprise: a pair of what look like flying R-Blades. On closer examination, Irm realizes that it's actually the R-Schneide, the R-Blade's upgraded mass-production model. However, this makes no sense - the R-Schneide is still in the design phase, so it couldn't possibly be deployed here.

One of the new mechs hails the group; it's Ouka, who tells Latooni that she's come to bring her back. She says straight away that she doesn't blame Latooni for what happened to Arado, since it's the Federation's fault for controlling her. When Latooni tries to say that it's not true, Ouka just takes that as proof of the brainwashing. Likewise, when Bullet protests that Arado is alive, she demands proof - proof that can't be given, since Arado is now en route to the moon. Latooni tells Ouka that she won't be going back; instead, she's going to set Ouka and the others free. Ouka resolves to bring her back to the Earth Cradle by force if necessary.

Echidna privately contacts Lamia, having finally determined the situation. Lamia requests a new language synapse; for the time being, she'll just have to collect a replacement covert comms unit, which Echidna will drop during the battle.

Second verse, not quite the same as the first. Attacking us from the side are five Gespensts - not too worrying, considering that we just wiped out a lot more of them - while at the end of the canyon are Ouka and Echidna in their machines. It seems Irm was mistaken after all, because instead of being the R-Schneide, these are the R-Eins.

We'll get to them in a minute, but first we'll deal with these clowns. I leave one of them alive because we have a use for him later.

Two turns after the second wave arrives, Ouka is close enough to engage (going after Latooni, who she'll exclusively target in this mission). If you've played OG2 before, your eye probably started reflexively twitching at the sound of her theme music.

The R-Eins has a formidable nine-square range with its beam cannons, so you want to keep your distance and lure her in. But the cannons aren't the problem here.

No, the cannons aren't the problem at all, are they? That's right, that's a natural 1 percent hitrate that Latooni gets against her sister. And had she not cast Alert, Ouka would be getting a natural 100 against her. That's even if the game hadn't stuck her in the lovely MP Huckebein, so this is just adding insult to injury.

In case we've forgotten, Latooni is one of our best pilots in terms of raw hitting/dodging prowess.

Comparing her stats, Ouka's hit and dodge stats are at least 30 points above Latooni's. On top of that, Ouka has Genius (plus 20% to hit and dodge), Guard (20% reduction to damage taken at 130 morale), Predict (a further +10% to dodge, hit, and critical rate after 130 morale), and level-4 Gunfight and Infight (damage boosts). She starts at 150 morale, so she deals even more damage and takes even less in addition to getting the Guard/Predict bonuses. The only mercy in this is that she flees at 40%, so we won't get to see her Prevail skill kick in, which would give her still more hit, dodge, crit, and armor bonuses.

So yeah. Ouka. You have literally no chance of hitting or dodging her without spirits, and she's not leaving until you've dealt roughly 20,000 damage to her. And then you still have Echidna to deal with. If you go in blind and don't save your SP during the first wave, you'll end up desperately throwing yourself at the two of them, only casting Strike because you can't afford the SP to keep yourself alive, watching your numbers dwindle as Ouka picks you off one by one and hoping that you can chase her off before you run out of people.

That's not what's happening here, but we've still got a ride ahead of us. Anyway, where were we?

Ouka: "Now, Lat... come with me."
Latooni: "You have to come back with me, Sis... together! Then you'll understand!"

Ouka: "Poor Lat... they've done so much to you."
Latooni: "!"
Ouka: "We'll make it all better. Everything's going to be fine."

"Lat, don't struggle..."

Double whiff, no surprises there.

The key to bringing Ouka down is to take advantage of supports. Pilots like Kyosuke and Rai don't have a reliable way of avoiding damage (they have Focus, but that's a drop in the bucket when you're dealing with her), meaning that she can shred them in a straight-up fight. If you've bought them Support Attack, they can piggyback off of somebody else and still do damage. All they need to do is cast Strike.

Bullet casts Grit and leads off, with Kyosuke supporting.

Ouka: "You've abused Lat, you've killed Arado... it's time that you were the ones to suffer!"
Bullet: "Argh! Please, just listen to us!"

I'm used to Revolver Stake doing a lot more damage than that. The Guard skill in action.

Lamia should hopefully have the armor to take an unmitigated hit.

Lamia: "The timing is wrong. It's too early for the R-Eins to appear."
Ouka: "I know these motions... Echidna?"

Echidna, you say? :raise:

In the end I don't need to worry, because Lamia just After-Images right through it.

And because I saved up my SP, Kai has plenty to spare to cast Valor. So he does, and gets Kyosuke in on the action as well.

Ouka: "You won't stop me!"
Kai: "If she's really better than Latooni, I can't drop my guard..."

"Lat... I'm not giving up on you."

Defeating Ouka gets us some quick experience and a couple of levels for Kai and Kyosuke.

If that seemed a bit easier than expected, keep in mind that I carried over a crapton of cash from beating OG1. I have maxed-out Chakram Shooter, maxed-out Darkness Blade, and maxed-out Revolver Stake - and I put Kai in the Grungust to use Valor. This is entirely doable without the upgrades, but then it becomes even clearer that preparation and foreknowledge are key. Ouka is absolutely terrifying if she catches you by surprise. Which she will, if you're playing blind, because a pilot that literally nobody on your team can hit is a hell of a morale killer.

Ouka: "Hm, not bad at all. But---"

Ouka: "!"
Latooni: "!?"
Ouka: "Kgh... ugh...!"
Latooni: "Sis!?"
Ouka: "Ughh... my head, it's... gh!
Latooni: "Ouka, are you---"

Ouka: "Activating ASRS... boost, engage...!"

Bullet: "She escaped!?"
Irm: "And that confirms it. With that acceleration, she's definitely got a Tesla Drive."
Latooni: "Sis..."

Ouka had combat dialogue for nearly everyone, including a second set for Latooni, so:

quote:

Kyosuke: "A mech that shouldn't exist, huh... let's see what you're hiding up your sleeve."
Ouka: "Worry about your own life before looking at my mech."

quote:

Rai: "You're not the DC remnants, are you?"
Ouka: "We've trained for the DCs' revival. Let me show you the results - and send you to your death!"

quote:

Irm: "No way around it, that definitely looks like the R-Schneide. Where did you get it?"
Ouka: "I don't care where this mech came from. All I care about is getting Lat away from my brother's killers!"

quote:

Ouka: "Lat, you're not fighting for yourself. And because of that, you can't beat me."
Latooni: "...!"

Anyway, with Ouka gone, we can... oh right, there's another one of those, isn't there.

Echidna has a more support-oriented skillset than Ouka: both Support Attack and Defense, B-Save and E-Save, as well as Guard and Predict. She actually has a higher dodge stat than Ouka did, but she doesn't have Genius and she begins at neutral morale (so Predict isn't active), working out to a lower rate overall. It's high enough that many pilots will pull zeroes without using spirits against her.

Lamia: (W16... this isn't our first time fighting, but...)
Echidna: (It is Mistress Lemon's command. I will try to avoid critical damage.)

On the next turn, Lamia opens up with Mirage Sign.

Irm casts Strike and Alert and double-teams with Latooni's help.

Latooni casts an Alert of her own to follow up.

Lamia gets whacked for another good chunk of damage.

And Kai twins up with Irm for the finish.

Hooray for Valor.

Echidna: "This is within expected parameters. Mission complete. Withdrawing."

Kyosuke had dialogue with Echidna as well:

quote:

Kyosuke: "I've seen these motions before... Lamia!?"
Echidna: "Beowulf. W17 is already collecting data... I will verify his ability for myself."

Lamia: (She's gone. I have to retrieve that communicator...)

And there's your hint for what we have to do next. Remember how we left one Gespenst alive? That's so the mission doesn't end when Echidna goes down.

We move Lamia over to where Echidna used to be.

Secret Mech
1. On Ethiopia Mission 17, force Echidna to retreat, then move Lamia to the square she occupied.

This is probably the most infamous secret requirement in the game, at least among the non-Japanese-speaking playerbase, because there's no confirmation whatsoever that you've accomplished it. No message or anything. If you can actually read the dialogue, the conversation between Lamia and Echidna does give you a hint, but if not, a guide is the only way you'll figure it out.

Bullet puts the last remaining Gespenst out of its misery. Before continuing, Daitetsu orders the retrieval of one of the wrecked units for investigation.

Closing

quote:

The Hagane contacts Ryoto with their analysis of the Gespenst wreckage. He confirms that the units they fought were definitely not constructed at Mao Industries - which would logically suggest the DCs must be building them. The R-Schneides the group fought are another mystery, as they incorporate the latest design additions; even if the plans were stolen, they couldn't have been built in time. After a moment Ryoto suggests that the units may have been brought back from the future. It sounds ridiculous, but so is any possible alternative...

Lamia finally decodes her mission disk, which tells her to continue the infiltration, look for information about Helios, and apprehend him if possible. Bullet walks in on her, looking for Latooni. Lamia is surprised to learn that his only concern is for Latooni's emotions (given his own experience with fighting a loved one on the battlefield). She can't imagine fighting for anything other than duty - after all, without duty, a soldier is nothing. Bullet doesn't think that's true, as ideals and feelings remain even then.

Kai and Rai find Latooni, who's understandably worried about Ouka. Kai urges her not to lose hope; next time they'll have Arado with them, and surely things will be different then. Latooni remembers her time at the School, when Ouka was the one who stepped in to relieve the burden of Adler's training, even taking it on herself if necessary. At the time she promised that she would do everything in her power to keep all their siblings safe.

At the Earth Cradle, Agilla has discovered Arado's survival from Ouka's flight recorder - no doubt the cause of her adverse reaction during the mission. Cuervo is about to go upload the information to Seolla's memory when Agilla stops him. Instead, they will reprogram both Seolla and Ouka to remember Bronzo 28 as an enemy.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 17, 2015

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Agilla's face is just so Jet Magnum-able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

Agilla's face is just so Jet Magnum-able.

The school is just packed with drama and insanity.

• Locked thread