Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

Carlos Mori did guides to the first two games and there's no sign of her. Dunno about the third, but I doubt it.

I'm wrong then because I Compact 3 has nothing to do with the Kyosuke/Excellen plotline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm wrong then because I Compact 3 has nothing to do with the Kyosuke/Excellen plotline.

Your confusion probably stems form Compact 2 being 3 games.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I meant there are guides for 2-1 and 2-2 but not 2-3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh right, it was, Christ. Compact 2 was so weird.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ImpAtom posted:

Their hair is totally red but I've heard people call anime characters with that hair color brunette before.

It's Anime RedTM, in the same way that Anime BlueTM is translated by some people as "black".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

KataraniSword posted:

It's Anime RedTM, in the same way that Anime BlueTM is translated by some people as "black".

That's not quite the same though. Blue was used in old anime instead of black because it could blend into the background otherwise. I don't think you can really say the same of red instead of brown.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

AradoBalanga posted:

That's not just from The Inspector. Personlickecht's cockpit has been like that since before that series aired.

Oh huh, neat, I hadn't known that was even defined before. It's not like The Inspector refrained from anime-original stuff (i still hope that the Sol Gravilion, as silly and awkward-looking as it is, finds its way into a future game) so I just sorta assumed.

Also hair color stuff is easy to be confused on considering it's stated the two are twins but Raul very clearly has hair that is part red but also part brown. Like he has some serious Yugi Moto poo poo going on.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Gyra_Solune posted:

Alfimi's theme is probably one of my favorites.

Agreed. Alchemist with a wavering heart is definitely a really good track, and also extremely atmospheric for when you fight Alfimi. Especially the distorted giggling near the start.

Despite her being pretty...well Anime in some ways, I have always liked Alfimi because her mech is very distinctive and interesting, her attacks are weird and her finisher horrifying, and her dialogue can be amusing given her weird stilted Excellen impressions that we've seen some of already.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 18, Ethiopia Route

We'll start off by picking up skills. Bullet's been hogging the kills and has far and away the most PP at the moment, so he can do his second skill purchase of the game without difficulty. I have him pick up SP Regen. In the first game this wasn't an especially important skill, since most missions were over before it had time to show its worth. Mostly it went on support pilots who would be casting a lot of Trust/Bless/Faith/Cheer/et cetera. In OG2... well, it's not a necessity, per se, but will make a few missions later on a whole hell of a lot easier, and we're getting it for everybody. Even if we don't really need it for a while, it'll be nice to have. It's either that or Attacker at this stage of the game.

Irm goes back in the Grungust and Latooni goes in the Wildraubtier. I start to put Kai back in his Gespenst and then at the last minute I stick him in the Wildschwein instead, because I was drunk while recording I guess.

Intro

quote:

In a place that doesn't look much like the space we know, a mysterious being announces that the time to uproot the old roots and plant the new seed is nigh. A young girl agrees to go out and investigate.

Lamia sneaks into the Hagane's data room to look for data on Helios, but finds nothing. Eita walks in; luckily for her, he doesn't suspect anything, but her unnatural "innocent" laugh leads to him suggesting that she try acting differently.

An alarm sounds; Kalham Base reports being under attack by unknown hostiles. Suspecting that they're the same enemies encountered in China, Daitetsu requests clearance to go and assist. When the Hagane arrives at the base, his suspicion is borne out. Once again, Kyosuke hears a voice from the unknowns that nobody else can hear, making Lamia suspect some connection between these strange organisms and Beowulf.

Mission 18: A Voice From Beyond

Objectives. Losing Kyosuke or any Federation NPC unit is a game-over; clean out the enemies in three turns for the mastery.

And our map. We're up in the northwest, and the base has a handful of jets and Landlions in the northeast. There are a few Einst Knochen and Glied between us.

Not much to say about this very straightforward scenario, so let's dive in.

Irm is enjoying having his mech back.

Bullet makes mincemeat out of pretty much any low-powered enemy at this point, and the Knochen generally qualify.

Latooni slightly less so.

But Lamia needs the kills anyway.

Kyosuke isn't quite able to one-shot an Einst Glied, at least not yet.

On the first enemy phase, the Einst move in our direction (thankfully).

Kyosuke makes a much better showing versus the Glied this time around, clearing out all four himself.

He is a little the worse for wear by the end, though.

The Federation troops will merrily charge out of the base to attack. Amusingly (?), it's a little difficult to not get the mastery on this mission, since if you take more than three turns the jets will catch up to the Einst and get themselves killed anyway, failing the mission for you.

Speaking of which, a few moves later...

Man, Latooni's underleveled. This is what I get for trying to get you nice things, Bullet! :mad:

Battle mastery get! :toot:

The unknowns have been wiped out, but at a heavy cost to the base's defenders. Daitetsu orders a perimeter set up; the Hagane and its contingent will remain on guard. The order surprises nobody, since we know these enemies have some kind of warp capability.

"I found you..."

Bullet: "Ugh!"
Rai: "What's wrong, Bullet!?"
Bullet: "Th-they're back!"

A new machine arrives at 6 o'clock; the crew scrambles to intercept. Lamia can't find any match in her database.

Bullet immediately identifies the red mech as the source of the pain he felt earlier, although he doesn't know why - just that he didn't feel anything from the other unknowns. Once again, it looks like Kyosuke is the only one who heard the voice---

???: "Kyo... suke..."
Kyosuke: "!!"

Kai: "Kyosuke!?"
Rai: "That's what I heard. What's going on..."
Kyosuke: "Wait, what!?"

Lamia: "I'm reco-ording a voice."
Kyosuke: "You all heard it, too?"
Lamia: "Yes, confi-irmed. It's... a female voice."
Kyosuke: "...!"

Lamia: (It seems unlikely... but there must be some connection to Beowulf.)
Rai: "Is there a human in there?"

???: "So... you... are Kyosuke..."
Kyosuke: "Who are you? How do you know my name?"
Alfimi: "I am Alfimi. Einst Alfimi... I am called."
Kyosuke: "Einst... Alfimi?"

Alfimi: "Kyosuke... Excellen... Query..."
Kyosuke: "Excellen!? What are you talking about!?"
Alfimi: "....."
Bullet: "Lieutenant, what's going on!"

Alfimi: "Your opponent... will be... Einst Knochen..."
Bullet: "Huh!?"
Kai: "She's attacking! All units, spread out!"

And now, southeast of our starting position, we have Alfimi in her Persoenlichkeit - along with another wave of Einst Knochen, this time around.

We have some time, so we'll spend a couple turns just letting the Knochen wade across the pond towards us. Alfimi will follow in a turn or two.

Eventually the time comes for us to move.

And the Einst do what they do, which is die repeatedly---

Oh COME ON! :mad:

Thankfully Lamia cast Guard, so she can tank the group for a turn.

Alfimi moves past everyone to focus on Kyosuke.

Kyosuke: "What do you want? How do you know our names?"
Kyosuke: "Nothing. Then I'll drag the answer out of you."

If Kyosuke plays defensively he can tank Alfimi for a bit.

On the next turn we finish off the Knochen and turn our attention to Alfimi for real.

But it turns out it only takes a couple hits, because on this route Alfimi leaves at 90% instead of 50.

Alfimi had a line versus Bullet as well:

quote:

Alfimi: "Your power... is not needed..."
Bullet: "What!? What are you talking about!?"

Alfimi: "I see now... somewhat. But still... Kyosuke..."
Kyosuke: "What do you want from me? What is 'Einst'?"
Kyosuke: "Answer me!"

Alfimi: "See you... again. My... Kyosuke..."
Kyosuke: "Wh... what...?"

Abruptly, Alfimi disappears - without even a slight reaction from the Hagane's sensors.

Lamia: (That was a warp. And without any equipment...)

Bullet: "Who was that?"
Rai: "She called herself Alfimi. Einst, and Knochen, she said... are those names for the unknowns?"
Lamia: (Einst...)

Kyosuke: (But who is Alfimi? And... why does she remind me of Excellen? What does she have to do with me?)

Closing

quote:

The pilots discuss this latest bizarre encounter. They suspect that Alfimi may be a human. Kyosuke isn't sure that she's actually human, but is certain that she looks like a young girl - though he can't explain why he thinks so beyond a hunch. Bullet sensed some kind of will from her machine when she arrived. Further analysis will have to wait, but it's almost certain that they'll meet again.

The Hagane is about to head to the rendezvous point when a coded message comes in from Command: the DCs are attacking the gathering forces ahead of schedule.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I play this route so rarely that I barely remember the events of it that aren't mirrored on the Moon route.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It's nice to have an uneventful update once in a while. Especially since the next one won't be. :krakentoot:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Seyser Koze posted:

It's nice to have an uneventful update once in a while. Especially since the next one won't be. :krakentoot:

Its time isn't it?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Not yet.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
That mission is after the route split. I think it's 21 in this version?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Its time isn't it?
Not the one you're thinking of, but (if we're going back to the Moon route) it is one that was a big surprise to the player nonetheless.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Alfimi: "Your power... is not needed..."
Bullet: "What!? What are you talking about!?"

Bullet.txt

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So this route split covers a whole two thirds of Impact's plot. If it looks weird that Kyosuke and Excellen got separated, that is because the first 30 stages of Impact were spent following Kyosuke in Earth while the second set of 30 stages were Excellen handling things in space. This route split covers sixty stages of Impact's OG plot, if you can even call it that.

Impact is a long-rear end game.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 18, Moon Route

doo dee doo

picking up support attack for more people, doo dee doo

Intro

quote:

Currently in position near England, Lee takes a report on the African campaign's progress, or lack thereof. Orders come in to bring the Shirogane to the Azores, to prevent the DCs from crossing the Mediterranean.

The Hiryu arrives at Mao Industries. Unfortunately, the Wildwurger and Huckebein Mk. III are both behind schedule, but the upgraded R-1 is ready to go - and the Wildfalken will be as well, once they've finished rewriting the OS. When Lefina asks about the Wurger, it turns out that the lead engineers are having some... disagreements.

The pilots catch up with Rio and Ryoto, briefly. Ryusei comments that Ryoto's really coming into his own as an engineer, and Ryoto confesses that he's going to ask for a discharge to work at Mao full-time once things settle down.

Excellen and Tasuku are taking a look at the Wildwurger when Marion and Kirk enter, bickering over the design; Marion wants more armor and weaponry, while Kirk argues that they should settle for more mobility and a swifter rollout.

Radha wraps up her evaluation of Arado; he's definitely been the victim of aggressive mental conditioning, which probably accounts for his missing memories. However, there are traces of another influence, one that looks similar to findings from ICS - and a different project that Radha recognizes. Before she can comment on it further, the alarm sounds; she leaves Arado in the room while she goes to investigate.

Unknown Lions are moving on Mao Industries and Cerevis City - but with the DCs currently engaged in Africa, it's unknown just who we're facing. Only a few Mao units are ready to go; Ring prepares to launch, while Ryoto struggles to get the Falken to boot up.

Objectives: clear out the enemies, in five turns for the mastery. If any hostiles enter a marked area, game over.

The marked areas being Mao Industries and Cerevis City, directly behind us. Last time we were here, we were fighting Galuin for the last time, back towards the end of the first game. Down in the corner (again, right where Galuin was), we've got a bunch of Lions. Nothing too special.

There are a lot of enemies, but five turns is still pretty generous for wiping out these chumps, so I save my SP instead of casting Accelerate. The Hiryu Kai is stationary for this mission. And the enemies are stationary for the first turn. :argh:

Ryusei's finally back in the R-1, and the R-Wing is performing pretty well in combat.

Its damage on the move is okay. I'd much rather be punching things, though.

Did I mention that I moved Katina to the R-Blade? Because I did.

Pretty good for neutral morale, and the R-Blade is good enough to help counterbalance her lack of defensive spirits. Also we're fighting those bio-roid enemies again.

No kills during the player phase, sadly. The enemy phase of turn 2 mostly consists of softening up enemies on counterattacks. Ryusei and Leona are drawing the bulk of the enemy fire, but they can both take care of themselves.

We commence killing on turn 3. Katina gets nailed on a 20%, sadly.

Although she does learn Accelerate on a level up. It's not Focus or Grit, but I'll take it all the same. Tasuku also learned Guard, off-camera.

The shredding continues on the enemy phase of turn 3.

And by turn 4 there's only one left - which is ideal, since it gives us plenty of time to react to whatever comes next.

Excellen sees to him (learning Snipe in the process) and heads back towards a more central location.

Battle mastery get! :toot:

The enemies have been cleared out; they were definitely moving on the city.

The alarm sounds again, and more hostiles take the field: a squad of Barrelions at three o'clock. Lefina brings the Hiryu around to counter...

...When Ring and Radha deploy to help pick up the slack. Ryoto is still working on the Falken's start-up sequence; he's run into a glitch of some kind.

So now we’ve got Radha in a Schutzwald and Ring in – sigh – an MP Huckebein.

Aaaaaaand these guys, the latest step in Banpresto's ongoing quest to make the Barrelion the most despised enemy ever. These units will all move towards the target point. Most of them will defend on the player phase rather than attack you, and on the enemy phase they'll target whoever they perceive as most vulnerable. And if they're weak enough that you can probably kill them even if they defend, they'll dodge instead.

In short, Bamco finally made the AI halfway intelligent and I hate them for it. :argh:

A scant handful of Barrels (the front line) will counterattack, letting you deal full damage, so we're going to take advantage of that as quickly as possible.

Russell needs the experience, so he finishes off the one Leona attacked. This is a fine plan that will not backfire on me in any way.

Everybody else heads over as well. Ryusei isn't blocked and does plenty of damage. Katina does get blocked and does rather less.

And then on the enemy phase, half the enemies go for Russell. Even with Guard he can't outlast that many Barrelions, so he has to block (wasting an enemy phase that I could've spent countering and doing damage)...

And he ends up looking like this.

The last one on the right goes for Ryusei instead and gets slammed. Ah, what could have been.

The other half of the enemies don't move and go for Leona. She handles herself well, but runs out of railgun ammo and energy in short order.

Anyway, by the next turn most of the Barrels are still alive and in good shape. Katina and Ryusei do what they can, but when all the enemies are blocking that's only so much.

After getting some healing from Lefina, Russell moves to a slightly less in-the-line-of-fire position...

While Excellen and Ring move to someplace more in the line of fire.

After an entire round of attacks we manage to kill one more Barrelion.

On the enemy phase, they start going after more worthwhile targets, as I planned.

For gently caress's sake.

FOR gently caress'S SAKE BARRELIONS :argh:

To add insult to injury we get no actual kills on this turn and Ryusei gets hit twice in a row on a 20%. The enemies up in Leona's corner just move on without attacking her, which I guess is just as well since she couldn't have returned fire anyway.

Turn the Next. Barrelions can only move five spaces per turn, so we're not in jeopardy yet. But still.

At least I know two of these enemies are at low health (:argh:) so they're easy prey for Radha.

Leona has just enough energy saved up for one last Sonic Breaker.

And Katina works out her rage elsewhere, finally putting us at five kills total since the Barrels arrived two turns ago.

Scene

quote:

Arado finds Mao's hangar, where Ryoto is working on the Falken; he sneaks into the cockpit before Rio realizes, which happens to be the exact moment that Ryoto gets the mech running. Meanwhile, a squadron of enemy Guarlions have appeared near the city, far out of position to be intercepted. Arado launches in the Falken, thinking the attackers are DCs; however, when Tasuku tells him otherwise, he starts to flee, ignoring Lefina's pleas to protect the city. The team is furious, though Ryusei and Leona are watching carefully.

The Guarlions turn out to be far too swift for anybody else to stop. Arado grapples with his conscience and the promise he made with Seolla; in the end, his conscience wins out (though he's not happy about it) and he starts shooting down the enemy units.

After all that, it's still the enemy phase, meaning all those Barrelions get their turn. Several turns' worth of attacks are finally taking their toll, thankfully, and while we only pick off a couple more, the remainder are mostly near death.

Over in the corner, Arado is still staring down the two remaining Guarlions. Fortunately they've abandoned their attack on the city and will focus on him exclusively.

He's not quite as powerful in reality as in cutscenes, of course.

Better still, the second one hits him. :sigh:

So, another turn. Arado pops Grit and Focus and moves over near Mao Industries (but not right onto it - for a reason). Meanwhile, a full round of pummeling takes out three of the five remaining Barrels.

And at long last, Excellen takes out the last two on the enemy phase. Jesus. I haven't had this much "fun" with Barrelions since the Great Wall of Pain in Mission 14 of the first game.

Arado kills one of the two Guarlions and then dodge-tanks the other while we get into position. When we're finally ready, a couple turns later...

Scene

quote:

The enemy are wiped out. Ring is about to ask what Tasuku meant about the attackers not being DCs when the alarm sounds again; a massive super robot shaped like a giant lizard warps into the area. The mech's pilot grumbles that the barbarians have ruined his plan, but doesn't intend to go back without a trophy. Before anyone can react, he rushes the Falken and destroys it in a single attack, then turns his attention to the others.

You didn't think we were done yet, did you? Oh no. Now we have a new boss mech to knock below 80% health!

Here's why I didn't move Arado to the base; the Galgau moves right next to him during the cutscene. If our new friend happens to park on regenerating terrain, you have no choice but to wait until he gets bored and leaves on his own, which will take several turns.

The Galgau has 170,000 HP. Thankfully it doesn't regenerate its health. Per turn, at least. We'll get to that in a minute. The mystery pilot (don't worry, it's nobody we know, this time) has a command aura, Prevail, Attacker, Counter, Infight, and Battle Spirit. He also starts at max morale, so Attacker (and his best weapons) are active right out of the box.

Anyway, we only need to knock off 34000 health to drive him away. That shouldn't be a problem, right? Ring has plenty of SP left, so she leads the charge, casting Sense to be sure she's safe.

In another Godzilla-like touch, the Galgau just spits missiles at you.

...Okay, this will take a little bit.

The Hiryu has nice long-range beam cannons, with any luck it can avoid the worst of his attacks at range.

Ugh. Let's not do that again. Don't worry, our counterattack's coming.

uh

your health

it's supposed to go the other way

:sigh:

So. The Galgau has Beam Absorption - which, as you might guess, absorbs beams. Beam attacks will actually heal this jerk. So don't use them. And yes, I saved before I did this and reloaded after.

Thankfully, the Hiryu's gravity cannon is not a beam weapon and does full damage.

The Galgau's accuracy is frankly pretty scary as well. He's using Iron Claw here, the attack that took out Arado, and I wouldn't gamble on these odds. Ryusei has Grit, so at least it doesn't matter if he gets hit.

Bit by bit.

Excellen can dodge well enough that the enemy uses an Armor Breaker to get the accuracy needed to hit her.

...Okay. Armor Breaker is a status weapon. Status weapons are pretty much the weakest attacks in the game. The computer only uses them when it can't hit with anything else. And one from the Galgau still nearly one-shot the Weissritter.

Pick on somebody your own size, you jerk! :mad:

And that is probably the single biggest hit we've sustained in either game thus far. The Galgau has serious attack power - there's pretty much nothing that can go toe-to-toe with it, and I'm really glad that it leaves at 80%, because I don't think I'll be able to last too much longer.

We heal Tasuku up, and he tanks another Iron Claw by defending on the enemy phase, taking "only" 3800 damage.

On the next turn, Ryusei and Leona team up and push the boss over the threshold.

Closing

quote:

The Galgau's pilot receives a transmission from an unknown contact, warning him that he's moving ahead of schedule and might ruin everything by warning the Earthlings. The pilot is contemptuous, but when the caller asks what their leader will think of this, he relents and warps away.

The crew discusses their latest enemy. The lizard mech is most likely the leader of the bioroids they've been fighting; the mech itself is a super robot of a similar power to the Valsion, but the Divine Crusaders shouldn't have the resources or the facilities to build one. That would imply a third enemy faction, separate from the DCs and the Einst. Lefina has reported the encounter to Command, who have responded by ordering the Hiryu Kai to the White Star to bolster the defenses there. Ryusei, Excellen, and Octo Squadron, however, will be participating in Operation Desert Squall, descending to Earth to reinforce the Federation troops in Africa. Mao has been given more time to properly complete the Wildwurger and Huckebein Mk. III as a result of the changes - most likely the result of Nibhal Mubhal's involvement.

Arado's life isn't in danger, but he'll be in intensive care for a while; Radha and Rio promise to look after him. The pilots say their goodbyes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ah right, you get a taste first, just a taste though.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Were those guys' faces shaded out in the GBA version? I seem to recall we immediately got to see some brand new enemy faces, but maybe I just forgot. I certainly forgot about that obnoxious beam absorption though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

Were those guys' faces shaded out in the GBA version? I seem to recall we immediately got to see some brand new enemy faces, but maybe I just forgot. I certainly forgot about that obnoxious beam absorption though.

They were the same way they are here.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I completely forgot about this enemy faction entirely. So for those who aren't paying attention, we're up to the Neo DC, the assholes from the school under the Neo DCs, the mysterious "Shadows" backing them, the Einst, and now these jerks.

This game is absurdly complicated.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I really like the Wildfalken's design. It's too bad you get it so late in this game.

Incidentally, when I played this stage a few months back, I forgot the lines on the map were ALSO regen tiles. I had to wait that fucker out and it sucked. Don't be me.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Does this Falken have lower ranged P Rifle attacks compared to the (unusable) Falken in Mission 9? I believe that was a thing in the GBA version, but I can't remember.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jegan posted:

Does this Falken have lower ranged P Rifle attacks compared to the (unusable) Falken in Mission 9? I believe that was a thing in the GBA version, but I can't remember.

This Falken is entirely short range, yes. It's built for Arado.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I love, love, love the music for this enemy faction, which is saying something because the SNES game they came from didn't have very good music.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This is a track I like, but I don't like too much of it. Like it's really loving effective for what it's trying to do, but it's not apart of my easy listening lists.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Digital Jello posted:

I certainly forgot about that obnoxious beam absorption though.

It was even better in SRW 3, where you couldn't tell your guys not to use beam weapons to counterattack.

Also it meant Getter Beam was useless against pretty much all the endgame bosses.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Oh boy these guys.

When we get around to having this faction introduced properly, I'll add a kind of meta detail regarding this faction. But that's still a couple stages ahead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know it never happened, but I'm just imagining the SRX's true archnemesis would be the one thing that could possible have a chance against it.

A team of Ace Barrelion Pilots who's mechs combine into the Super Barrelion Xtreme.

It has an alternate form where it turns into a giant revolver that shoots barrelions at you

Ryusei is super pissed off because they keep coming up with such :airquote: great attack names. Like the Barrelbarreliion attack.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Like a lot of OG songs, I find it better in the original gba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXPhvUV3OUM

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Good thing they stopped Arado from running when they did. With that red coat of paint, if the Falken had really gotten going they never would have caught it.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Like a lot of OG songs, I find it better in the original SFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1h5TlhwAbA

Fixed that for you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wounded Land posted:

Fixed that for you.

At least link a good version
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZzYp8tu_978

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

This Falken is entirely short range, yes. It's built for Arado.
No.The Falken L was basically exactly similar to the one Seolla hijacked earlier aside from the paint scheme, with Kurt and Ryoto uploading the Type-R's OS onto the unit as well. Arado somehow reprogrammed the combat OS on the fly to suit his combat style (spoilers: we never see him show this level of technical prowess ever again). Which also somehow reduced the Oxtongue Rifle's range as well. Because that's totally how guns work, right?

Anyhew, I'd like to also extend a giant "go gently caress yourself" to the designer for this stage who thought a gaggle of Barrelions as reinforcements was a good idea. :argh:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I think he less "reprogrammed" it and more "selected a different set of maneuvers" and the rest was just Arado actually being good at piloting (supposedly) when he has a motivation.

I mean, he flat out says he's selecting a pattern that fits his style. No reprogramming or that the R is customized for him is implied anywhere.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

No.The Falken L was basically exactly similar to the one Seolla hijacked earlier aside from the paint scheme, with Kurt and Ryoto uploading the Type-R's OS onto the unit as well. Arado somehow reprogrammed the combat OS on the fly to suit his combat style (spoilers: we never see him show this level of technical prowess ever again). Which also somehow reduced the Oxtongue Rifle's range as well. Because that's totally how guns work, right?

Occam's Razor dictates that Arado is just too :downs: to realize that a rifle is meant to be used at long range.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Occam's Razor dictates that Arado is just too :downs: to realize that a rifle is meant to be used at long range.

What a fascinating child.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arado's style is really more in line with Kyosuke, Ryusei and Sanger. And if you're an officer like Daitetsu you'd probably see that and stop trying to hammer the loving square peg into the round hole. But in the case of the school and the Neo DC they considered Arado defective because he isn't a cookie cutter troop following beep boop orders. That's not to say that Arado doesn't need serious training (From Villeta and others in Alpha 2) because honestly right now is Arado's talent showing off, he's never gotten training that plays to his strengths. But it goes to show the general military think of the bad guys.

He is a super robot pilot stuck with organizations that want real robot mooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seyser Koze posted:

Logic dictates: Give that boy a shotgun.

• Locked thread