Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Seyser Koze posted:

I heard that 2nd OGs dropped a couple hints about the Furies being a looming future threat (though I still haven't played the game despite owning it for a year, so maybe I shouldn't comment).

EDIT: Also, if we could try to avoid going into detail on shocking future revelations about characters in the LP, that'd be cool.

Yeah, I was just thinking we should take all the future plotchat to the regular thread. It's not like anything big's happening over there anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014
That's why I tired to be vague about the details but you're right sorry about that Seyser. I just really enjoy the OG series and love that I have other people to talk to about it ^^.

Though on the topic of J I have no clue what they will do for that. Personally I hope they give us a Raftclans, An amazing remix of J soundtrack, Moon Knights and Fate come to mind and Al-Van and Sanger becoming bros.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tempestas Leo posted:

I'm pretty sure I read something about Rand, Setsuko and Crowe were not going to be added to OG games but then again I could be wrong.
The phrasing that producer Takenobu Terada allegedly used to describe those characters (when asked if they'd be added to OG) was: "They were designed without the OG series in mind."

You can interpret that in a variety of ways, to be honest. And that's before you take into account that Terada has a long streak of lying to players about content.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This was at the exact same time he said SRW Z would not have many secrets (it does, in fact, have an absurd amount of secrets) or that (Stage 36 or so spoilers) the good guys would not fight each other.

So basically take his words with a truckload of salt.

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014
I know, I do but I was just posting what I read for everyone else since Cmdr King was wondering. Also thanks I didn't know that he said that in the same interview.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route: Mission 5

Aboard the Hiryu Kai, Eun the bridge officer reports that they've successfully completed entry and are now holding steady over the Galapagos Islands. Captain Lefina Enfield is glad to have arrived safely, but she still feels guilty about the fact that she's the one sitting in the chair - surely Sean and Daitetsu would make better choices, with their decades of experience? Sean, still the Hiryu's XO, waves away her concern; he's not really cut out to have that sort of responsibility. And besides, the Hiryu is fortunate to be captained by the top-ranking member of Icarus Academy's graduating class, the youngest member of the military ever to be given command of a battleship, not to mention the prettiest and the most well-endowed, whose measurements (adjusted for padding) are...

Lefina interrupts, saying that there is no padding --- then realizes her mistake a moment later. Sean laughs and tells her that as the captain, she'll have to be mindful of what she says from now on; but for now, shall they proceed to their rendezvous with the ATX team? Having met his sexual-harrassment quota for the day, he turns somber, musing about the fact that he's returned to Earth yet again; how many more young officers and crew will perish for the battles of old men like himself and Daitetsu?

In his quarters at Langley, Sanger watches a vidmail from a totally secret and mysterious old friend of his. The time has come, he says, and he knows Sanger has felt it coming as well - humanity requires a great trial to prepare itself for the dark days ahead. He's sent this message in the hopes that Sanger shares the vision and resolve of his father and Bian Zoldark - if so, come and join with them. As the recording ends, Sanger thinks that Elzam and his comrades may very well---

And then he just trails off. I like to think this is because he realized he spoiled Elzam's identity for the audience. Incidentally, this little bit is new. :eng101:

Sanger gives Kyosuke and company the news that they'll be heading to Antarctica soon to stand by at the launch of the Shirogane and the unveiling of EOTI's newest machine. Bullet isn't familiar with the Shirogane, and needs Excellen to step in and play teacher - it's the first of the Space Noah series of next-generation battleships. ("Thanks, Ms. Browning!" "That's Nurse Browning, thank you. My students can't get enough of me, by the way." Kyosuke: "So you're a health teacher now?")

Discussion turns to the new EOTI machine, and the rumors that an insurrection is brewing; Bullet and Kyosuke agree that this ceremony could turn sour very quickly. That's the reason for their presence: they'll be meeting the Hiryu Kai at Alexander Island off the coast before heading to the base. Bullet knows this one: The Hiryu was a deep-space exploration vessel, now repurposed as a battleship for the coming conflict. ("Very good!" Excellen says, "Meet me behind the P.E. storeroom for your reward!" "D-does the base even have one of those?") Kyosuke ignores them this time, thinking instead that between the Federation and EOTI, this is an awful lot of ostentation - a time for both sides to lay all their cards on the table? Sanger knows he's figured it out, but regrets being unable to tell the team the full details about the secret meetings behind the scenes...

In the ATX machine shop, Marion is making ready to accompany the Alteisen into the field yet again. Jonathan may not be interested in the Shirogane, but she's heard that the ship is designed to interface with one of three detachable modules and simply must see their combat potential for herself. It's a ship, not a missile, Jonathan says - but more importantly, they need to prioritize getting the Weiss into action as soon as possible. The miniaturization and OS work have gone off without a hitch; Marion just has to sign off, and her silver angel will be born. Marion sullenly says that it's a fallen angel, but Jonathan has just the remedy for that - the Tesla Drive he brought in the other day.

Marion still doesn't trust this alien technology, but after a lengthy period of nagging and cajoling - and a pointed reminder of the unknown flying machine the team fought the other day, and some insistence that the drive isn't really based on EOT at all, since the Meteor-3 discoveries just helped refine an idea already in development - she relents. Under the circumstances, she'll allow him to fit his toy to the Mk. II Custom - she expects to see the work done by the time she returns. Jonathan quips that she must really want to go to Antarctica, and she doesn't deny it - the machine designed by Shu Shirakawa and Eric Won will be there as well. They've both heard of this robot, the Granzon, but neither can conceive of the unsurpassed destructive power it's rumored to have - so she must confirm it with her own eyes. After extracting a final promise that Jonathan won't attach anything strange to her mech, she leaves.

Mission 5: Celestial Dragon, Winds of the Underworld

This isn't a battle track, but I really like it, so here you go.

The Hiryu holds steady at the rendezvous point, and everything seems to be on track - to Sean's gratitude, since the cold is making his old bones ache. (Lefina isn't buying that for a second.) Which isn't to say that there's no excitement at all; in fact, there's a disturbance in the hangar. On screen!

Tasuku Shinguji tries in vain to rein in Lieutenant j.g. Katina Tarask, who's hell-bent on sortieing in direct defiance of orders. They never know if more enemies might be in the area, and no greasemonkey who can't even pass the pilot physical is going to convince her otherwise. Somehow Lefina knew it was going to be them, although Tasuku protests his innocence in the matter.

The alarm sounds, and Eun picks up a massive EM pulse from Coursland Base - the site of the ceremony. A moment later she detects multiple incoming contacts moving at high speed...

Sean isn't so surprised to see unknown machines - but he is surprised that they're not the ones he remembers. Without waiting for clearance, Katina launches to meet them; her gofer chew toy punching bag subordinate Russell Bergman refuses to let her go alone and launches right behind her. She thinks these alien recon mechs are just what she needs to blow off some steam; he asks how they can even tell they're for recon, and she says she has a "buyer's instinct" for these things - but who cares, a kill is a kill, and she's gonna rack up a ton of 'em today! Russell pleads with her to at least wait for the ATX team to arrive before engaging, but she's not staking their chances on a bunch of outsiders.

Sean asks if she would consider protecting the ship, so long as she's out there; Katina says not to worry, she's shooting every last one of those buggers down. Finally Lefina steps in, only to have the pilot cut the communication link. :sigh: Sean says the captain had best prepare herself, as he doubts the ATX team will be more agreeable...

Mission objectives - kill everything (in four turns for the mastery) and don't lose the Hiryu. There are fifteen enemies on the map, which I think is a record at this point.

Anyway, off we go. We're up against Garoikas again, but the jets Katina and Russell are using are much more maneuverable than the PTs from Ryusei's route - on the other hand, there's no defensive base terrain to take advantage of here.

Katina is built for killing things; in addition to prevail she has Attacker (which gives a percentage damage boost to attacks after her morale reaches 130) and Revenge (which gives a percentage boost to counterattack damage). On the spirit front she starts out with Strike and Valor, a spirit that doubles the damage of the next attack. This is great to have, since most pilots won't get it until around 10-15 missions from now, but a bit too expensive to be casting at this point. Not to mention unnecessary.

She also got a new theme for this game, although Russell's still stuck with Born to Fight.

Russell, meanwhile, is built for getting hit by things, having the support skills and Prevail, along with SP Up, which does about what you'd expect. This is important when you consider that he starts out with Guard, which reduces all incoming damage for an entire turn by 75% - and it's incredibly cheap in terms of SP compared to most other pilots.

In any case, let's kill some robots. As you can see, the Garoikas aren't a significant threat to the our pilots, and they can be killed in two shots. They're more accurate at close range, so we're not safe per se, but close enough.

Note the 10% difference in the Garoika's hitrate here. This is as good a time as any to mention relationship bonuses. Specific characters in OG have relationships with specific other characters; if they're adjacent to one another, they get an ability bonus depending on the type and strength of that relationship. Russell and Katina have a Lv. 2 friendship relationship, and so they get a 10% bonus to hit and evasion from fighting together.

Time to bring up the Hiryu. Here's a quick look at their spirits - since she has ovaries is new to her position, Lefina gets support-type spirits: Vigor, which restores 30% of the caster's health, and (cheap) Gain. Sean has Strike and Mercy, which leaves lower-statted enemies with 10 health if an attack would normally kill them, and which is invaluable under very specific conditions in the game.

I bring the Hiryu up next to Russell. Incidentally, Lefina has a Lv.1 friendship bonus with her crew, so she gets a 5% boost to her aim from doing this.

Not too much to comment on here. Only one or two units from each "pod" of enemies tries to approach us this turn; Russell, Katina, and Lefina fire away with abandon. A lucky critical from the Hiryu will one-shot the Garoikas, although we can't really count on that at the moment.

Here's a little problem with parking people next to Russell; he tries to support-defend everyone while in a jet that can't take hits. It's a nonissue with Katina, who won't be getting hit anyway, but the last thing I need is him blowing himself up trying to save the Hiryu from a shot that would only take off a sliver of its health. This is actually a recurring problem with people who have natural support-defense in this game: most of them aren't people you want taking hits. You have to manually cancel out of supports on every attack, which can be a pain.

All that being said, the damage from multiple hits will add up, so you don't want the Hiryu getting shot at too much if you can help it.

The ATX team shows up in the far corner at the beginning of the second turn. Sanger gives the team the rundown on water combat and its tendency to ruin all that it touches, then literally tosses them into the deep end.

Ugh. I'm not sure what's different about the ATX Gespensts, but they're absolutely terrible underwater. Thankfully, one of the items we've had dumped on us previously is a Screw Module, which takes any mech and makes it instantly water-capable. Unfortunately, I have one of them and two Gespensts (no, gently caress you, game) so Excellen gets it and Bullet gets nothing. Sanger and Kyosuke will be just fine in the water without assistance.

EDIT:

Son Ryo posted:

I actually have some information on this for you! I happened to notice something weird when playing this game myself recently: the SRX Gespensts have an A-rank in water, as well as the Underwater movement type. In return, the ATX Gespensts have an A-rank in the air, which you might think is useless until you hear that in OGs (I'm not sure about other SRWs, but I know it's this way in OGs) the game uses the enemy terrain type when calculating hit% for melee attacks, so the ATX Gespensts are that much better at Jet Magnum-ing all the planes and Lions they fight.

People in this thread pay much more attention to minor details like "stats" and "tactics" than I do.

While I'm at it, I dump some cash upgrading Excellen's shotgun. Not pictured: me screwing up the setup and having to restart three times. :downs:

Kyosuke wonders about the enemy robot and where they've come from; Katina, on the other hand, is more interested in the ATX units. Nice machines. Too bad test pilots are a bunch of pussies who never see combat outside of a simulator! Russell's efforts to make her behave are in vain, and Excellen comments on her quick tongue with another Japanese turn of phrase (like a plank standing in water) which Kyosuke reflexively corrects (only to have Bullet say that she actually got it right this time).

This traditional ATX greeting rubs Katina the wrong way; she supposes it's easy to be so carefree when you're hiding under all that armor. Bullet is none too pleased with the verbal abuse from somebody they've only just met, but Kyosuke just says to focus on their duty and wipe out the enemies to the last unit. "Does that meet your satisfaction, pilot?" :iceburn: Katina splutters at this and finally yells that of course it does; who the hell does he think he's talking to?

Eun: "These new friendlies seem like quite a handful."
Lefina: "Y... yes..."
Sean: "Come now, isn't it an encouraging sign that they're so lively?"
Lefina: "..."
Sean: "Captain, please don't cry in front of the crew."

:smith:

Right, off we go then. Kyosuke gets off to a good start, and I move Excellen up alongside.

Back to the topic of relationship modifiers, the second type of bonus is the love bonus, which grants a 4% boost to damage output per level. Excellen starts off with a level-1 love bonus from Kyosuke - though he just starts off with a level-2 friendship bonus from her. Between the bonus and the shotgun upgrades, she makes short work of the two adjacent Garoikas. Conventional wisdom in OG1 was to dump a bunch of cash into upgrading the equippable machine guns, which are both powerful and versatile; they're still nice, but in OGs the change in the way the shotgun functions makes it a much clearer leader.

I wasn't keeping count of kills, but this pushed us over the threshold to trigger a warning from Eun about a gravity distortion; more enemies are inbound.

None of those drones in the farthest corner have moved an inch, so Katina and Russell head over to dig them out. The most the enemies can manage is a 9%, but experience still makes me paranoid about these things. :ohdear:

The Hiryu tags along behind to help out.

I'd do a :cawg: here, but I just don't have the heart. :(

Sanger is the punchingest.

Turn 2, enemy phase; the promised additional enemies arrive.

"Wonderful, more enemies..."
"Scared? Then get out of the mech! I'll show you how to use it!"
"That doesn't even make sense!"

Eun reports that there are even more bogeys approaching. Sean remarks that they have quite the parade of visitors today...

This looks familiar.

Everybody remarks on the unknown arrival, but whoever it is, it doesn't seem to be an enemy reinforcement.

:catstare::catstare:

The cats wonder where they are, and the new guy says he can see ice thataway - this must be the North Pole! :pseudo: The ever-reliable Sean corrects him on this and asks the newcomer to identify himself and his machine - they're in the middle of a battle, and it'd be regrettable if he were shot down unnecessarily. New guy says he has no time to waste here...

...And then a bunch of enemies rush him. At least we know he's not an Aerogater - but now he thinks the Garoikas are ours. He ignores Sean's repeated request to identify himself; he has to take these things out and get on Shu's trail as quickly as possible!

So now we have to keep Masaki alive as well (the game's not bothering to hide his name, and I'm tired of calling him "new guy.") Too bad it's the enemy phase now, so we don't have the opportunity to buff him or anything!

The enemies start making the rounds, and I discover that I didn't have to worry about telling Russell not sacrifice himself for the Hiryu after all; the ship's E-Field is now active, and it's strong enough to nullify all the incoming attacks.

Masaki's new friends also start gunning for him. Boy, it sure would've been nice if we could've cast Focus before the shooting started (Not pictured: they have a 20% hitrate, give or take, without Focus).

Not to worry, because Psybuster is equipped with remote-controlled catguns!

(Yes, the cats are actually flying those little pods.)

He also has Counter, which helps ward off a couple of attacks. He still gets tagged once, to no real effect. Garoikas aren't all that intimidating, and unlike a couple of other cannon-fodder machines this is the last we'll be seeing of them, so there won't be an upgraded version to surprise-roflstomp our faces in later on.

Turn 3 at last, and there's just mop-up work to do now. I decide to have Katina and Russell share some experience by demonstrating the Twin System. Two units with at least 110 morale (roughly two kills' worth) can join up into a twin unit. They'll attack simultaneously (and counterattack together as well) and both will get experience (although only one gets the kill added to their score). It'll be quite a while before the enemy starts to use this against us, so for the moment it can be both a way to spread around the experience and a way to get a firepower advantage on individual targets.

The two of them double-team one enemy. Twin attacks occur simultaneously, unlike support attacks which give the enemy a chance to counterattack first. (This isn't even getting into the subject of twin support attacks...)

Lefina busts out the big guns and blows away another one. (Also, note the Hiryu's energy - that's the unfortunate side effect of blocking a lot of shots with a barrier.)

The battle's as good as won at this point, but I let Masaki show off another of Psybuster's attacks first.

With the enemies and battle mastery out of the way, Shiro (the white cat) says that he's found the one they're looking for. Without bothering to say goodbye, Psybuster transforms into a birdlike machine and tears off. The crew marvels at the new machine's speed; Marion in particular is fascinated with the idea that such a machine can move so quickly without a Tesla Drive. Judging by the pilot's voice, he's around their age. Also, something sounded like a meow... maybe he's from Nagoya, Bullet suggests? (Atlus: "Maybe he's Russian?")

"Maybe it's a talking cat!" :haw:

Actually there's a cultural reference here that I'm way too tired to decipher, so I'm just capturing both pages here for future reference and the hope that you'll all forget before I have to do anything about it. It's probably a Doraemon joke or some such.

Belatedly the Hiryu crew realizes that the unknown machine was headed directly for Coursland Base; given the EMP they detected before, something is definitely not right. They make haste for the site...

Due to the secrecy of the meeting, all channels and satellite links are down; Octo Squadron will be deploying as soon as they've resupplied. Eun has been checking for data on the humanoid unknown they just encountered, and it's not a known Aerogater design. A Far East Base recon unit encountered a unit matching its description earlier, but they have little else to go on at this point.

A massive explosion rocks the ship, and they're horrified to see a towering plume of smoke rising from the direction of the base - judging by its size, a MAPW may have been used.

Eun picks up a transmission: it's Bian's global address. Sean is well aware of how the Federation government has tried to cover up the evidence of alien presence from the populace - but this was a declaration of war. A moment later further confirmation comes with the Coursland base's status: it and the Shirogane are wrecked, and the Granzon is nowhere to be seen, leaving little doubt as to the author of the destruction. Lefina can't believe that Dr. Zoldark would pick such a seemingly hopeless battle. Marion, however, warns the group that Bian is by no means a man of rash or hasty action; they called him "the Prodigy" for a reason, and if he's chosen to take this path, he must see victory at the end of it.

Next time: we meet a designated JRPG Old Person.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 12, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Poor Lefina.

She desperately wants to be a professional military captain but she's stuck with Sean and Excellen as subordinates.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Y'know, by all rights Sean should be bothersome with his continual sexual harassment, but somehow he managed to pull off seeming more or less harmless about it. Dunno what it is. I guess maybe because he just uses it to wrap up actual good advice for the novice captain and you fully believe he'd deck anyone who ACTUALLY gave Lefina a hard time. It's weird.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I got the impression Sean wasn't being pervy so much as he was just messing around. This game's whole cast has their personality quirks, after all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Seyser Koze posted:

The ATX team shows up in the far corner at the beginning of the second turn. Sanger gives the team the rundown on water combat and its tendency to ruin all that it touches, then literally tosses them into the deep end.
Sanger is growing on me fast.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Digital Jello posted:

I got the impression Sean wasn't being pervy so much as he was just messing around. This game's whole cast has their personality quirks, after all.

Definitely. It's just weird that they manage to convey that so effectively; it's hard to pull off "says really perverted poo poo but is actually just loving with people" usually.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CmdrKing posted:

Y'know, by all rights Sean should be bothersome with his continual sexual harassment, but somehow he managed to pull off seeming more or less harmless about it. Dunno what it is. I guess maybe because he just uses it to wrap up actual good advice for the novice captain and you fully believe he'd deck anyone who ACTUALLY gave Lefina a hard time. It's weird.

Probably because it's just words and he keeps a very calm face. He never gets the super lecherous old man face or start groping girls. He... well he looks classy doing it and it's never overplayed to be creepy. The entire Hiryu is MEANT to be the Nadesico what with the Gravity Gun and the rookie captain (And all the pilots sans one being loving mental) but it's different enough that you wouldn't notice if you didn't think about it.

It's nowhere NEAR as broken as the Nadesico though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Kyousuke. No matter what crazy poo poo happens around him, he just stays calm and rolls with it. "Sure, why not?" given human form.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ah Katina. I remember her well from the GBA OG. The term Hellcat that game stated was directed towards her and it fits perfectly. I don't think there is a single scene that she is featured in that does not have her raging. The girl is 99% anger as other then her status screen portait I can't remember one screen of her smiling.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really like Katina and Russell and I wish they got more screen time. The psychotic murderess/straight man characterization is pretty basic but it's enforced by the fact they actually work like this gameplaywise. Russell is also a pretty drat good pilot no one really used because of his plain portrait.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Coolguye posted:

Sanger is growing on me fast.

Good. Gooooood. We aren't even close to Maximum Sanger yet. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MarquiseMindfang posted:

What are you talking about?
Sanger hits multiple peaks and keeps on climbing aftet them.

Guarstine
Sep 5, 2013

Something I would like to point out about the Grungust Type-0 is that it is the only Grungust to use the giant rocket wings on the back to turn its upper half, all of the other mechs in that family tree have jet turbines in the shoulders for that. It kind of reinforces that it is the prototype to the Grungust family because this and the Type-0's Colossal Blade make the mech look far more unwieldy than its descendants.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

anilEhilated posted:

I really like Katina and Russell and I wish they got more screen time. The psychotic murderess/straight man characterization is pretty basic but it's enforced by the fact they actually work like this gameplaywise. Russell is also a pretty drat good pilot no one really used because of his plain portrait.

Then again I think part of the fun of them is that they're mainly side characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
poo poo I can't believe I just got a bit of the joke on Katina's nickname of Hellcat. Hell Kat.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Katina was my biggest ace in OG1 partly because I planted her in the biggest, hardest-hitting mech in the game, dumped all my money on its final attack, timed Valor right, and pretty much laid waste to bosses...because I had no idea about finer game mechanics and it was the only way I could think of to beat some of the more difficult bosses.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

Katina was my biggest ace in OG1 partly because I planted her in the biggest, hardest-hitting mech in the game, dumped all my money on its final attack, timed Valor right, and pretty much laid waste to bosses...because I had no idea about finer game mechanics and it was the only way I could think of to beat some of the more difficult bosses.

She was my Giganscudo pilot in all of my playthroughs; they're made for each other. It's even her favorite color.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

She was my Giganscudo pilot in all of my playthroughs; they're made for each other. It's even her favorite color.

She does well in it in the later games too. Katina is pretty much the best. And an absolute beast in 2nd OGs.

And yeah, people having natural support defend when they really shouldn't is a big issue. Russel is okay with it, he has the stats for it and does well in machines meant for it...but why in all the hells does EXCELLEN have it?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Katina is hands down one my favourite OG characters, and definitely my female OG character, largely because she's pretty much pedal to the floor in everything she says and does. That said it's probably for the best the Hiryu and company didn't reach the base before Shu Granzon'd everything because of her current propensity towards flying out and killing everything would have ruined the moment for smug Shu was building for.

As for her long suffering squad-buddy I'll admit that when I first saw Russel I was convinced someone so generic looking was being built up just to get killed off to prove a point, but he's definitely worth his weight in Gespensts.

Lefina I think is pretty cool, she really fits into the ATX story and how it's going to progress. Sean I don't really know how I feel about. The stuff about measurements (it's even in some of the Hiryu's battle quotes) balances really awkwardly with that whole "mentor" thing he's got going. The Hiryu is a pretty awesome ship design and all in all I dig what it's about.

MonsterEnvy posted:

poo poo I can't believe I just got a bit of the joke on Katina's nickname of Hellcat. Hell Kat.

I'm guessing her last name "Tarask" is a play on "Tarrasque" too. Very likely the more historical-mythical one (dragon turtle thing with a lion's head) than the D&D one. Ties in well with what she was originally designed for too.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I always took the Sean stuff as "Sean knows literally everything and likes to remind Lefina of this on occasion by threatening to embarrass her in public." Like a sort of parental thing. Or was it just my parents that would threaten to show baby pictures of me to my friends when I was being a little poo poo?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Original Origins: Katina

Unlike most of the Banpresto Originals, Katina didn't come from a video game. In the late '90s the company released an SRW-themed trading card game called Scramble Gather; as part of the promotion for the game, they took fan submissions and made the best and/or most popular of them into a card for the game. By the time OG1 came out three or four years later, references to Katina as "the octopus" (see it?) had become a minor meme among franchise fans, leading to her inclusion as the head of the Hiryu's "Octo Squadron" in that game.

She had a machine of her own, too, which hasn't yet appeared in OG. Instead she got Russell.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I love Russell. He usually ends up as my Giganscudo pilot, because he's such a gigantic tank. I think the defining moment for him is in the Inspector anime, when everyone is running to board the Hiryu Kai before launching off on an operation, and you see Katina and Russel jogging up the ramp with Katina chugging an energy drink as she runs and poor Russell carrying an arm full of the things.

Russell, Katina's long suffering office bitch.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
And poor Russell gets an ulcer that will one day grow to be PT-sized.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Onmi posted:

Probably because it's just words and he keeps a very calm face. He never gets the super lecherous old man face or start groping girls. He... well he looks classy doing it and it's never overplayed to be creepy. The entire Hiryu is MEANT to be the Nadesico what with the Gravity Gun and the rookie captain (And all the pilots sans one being loving mental) but it's different enough that you wouldn't notice if you didn't think about it.

It's nowhere NEAR as broken as the Nadesico though.

...I never thought about the Nadesico thing. Holy crap it makes sense.

Anyhow this stage is cool but it does not hold a candle to Ryu's, even with the OGs treatment of added scenes and New Mysterious Enemies(tm). This is sadly a recurring trend that will last until the end of OG1 itself, because this is Ryu's game basically.

So Katina, Katina is cool too. But something changed about her between the GBA games and OGs...

...The color of her right eye. Yes, in the GBA games it was clearly red, but ever since OGs it is purple. Maybe purple was always the original color and the GBA games got it wrong, but who knows why they changed it. :iiam: Also she's kind of really different from her original Scramble Gather version, but that talk is better reserved for a later time when said differences come to the front.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 28, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

They're certainly more interesting that the ATX team (Exception for Sanger; I'm fond of someone who understands he's completely ridiculous and plays it totally straight like that).

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

anilEhilated posted:

Russell is a generic wall in a game full of dodge tanks and roving death machines who can throw up 不屈 (I can never remember its English translation) every turn. The OG fandom treats him affectionately (his Japanese nickname is Defense), but they also treat him realistically as the filler unit he is.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Always liked Katina as a character...shame that she REALLY needs a Super Robot to compensate for her horrible defenses.

Give her one of those, though, and she's more than capable of tearing stuff up, especially in OG1 where there aren't a lot of insane units to overshadow her.

2nd OGs did give her some nice added value with Maximum Breaks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

When this LP started, TheLastRoboKy told me that there was gonna be one guy in there that he just knew I was gonna love, with my well-known preference for 'strike first, strike fast, strike hard' tactics. I'm quickly starting to realize he was referring to Sanger.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

GimmickMan posted:

...I never thought about the Nadesico thing. Holy crap it makes sense.

Yeah, that's the thing--many, if not most, OG characters are references to other series, and when you get it, everything suddenly changes. I didn't really like Ibis that much until I realized she was supposed to be a Noriko stand-in.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Coolguye posted:

When this LP started, TheLastRoboKy told me that there was gonna be one guy in there that he just knew I was gonna love, with my well-known preference for 'strike first, strike fast, strike hard' tactics. I'm quickly starting to realize he was referring to Sanger.

Sanger is one of the best things to come out of SRW.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Onmi posted:

The entire Hiryu is MEANT to be the Nadesico what with the Gravity Gun and the rookie captain (And all the pilots sans one being loving mental) but it's different enough that you wouldn't notice if you didn't think about it.

Mister Olympus posted:

I didn't really like Ibis that much until I realized she was supposed to be a Noriko stand-in.

Man, this thread is making me feel like an idiot. Oh well, at least I recognized the Banjou/Irm thing. :kiddo:

I'll echo all the Katina love. She's probably my favorite original character, maybe second after Calvina. She's such a good straight woman to some of the goofier things that happen later in OG1 and OG2. I usually kept her in a Gespenst though, (in OG1, I put her in the Mk-IIS). I love the Octo-squad in general though, and I can't wait until we get the other pilots.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 28, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

People like Russel so much that he gets both a trophy AND a secret related to him in 2nd OGs. He's just great as the ultimate straightman, and he basically owns being a generic pilot, to the point where the generic theme is now basically officially his theme, since pretty much literally everyone else has their own themes now.

In later games, you get an assignable two-seater super robot, and that thing is basically MADE for sticking Katina and Russel into. They just work fantastically well together.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I've never actually used Katina... maybe I will on my next runthrough. I tend to gravitate towards the pilots who get the better Spirit commands over anything else, and I find Katina lacking in that regard.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mister Olympus posted:

Yeah, that's the thing--many, if not most, OG characters are references to other series, and when you get it, everything suddenly changes.
Could someone (the OP, but if not him, someone else) add a quick blurb on 'this is who he probably really is' to the character bios we've seen so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Russel's so memorable because he's unmemorable. The only scene I can remember him in was when he identified Seolla's panties. Even then Katina makes it better by going :smug:

Gameplay wise, support tanks don't really fit the style of the game especially if you plan on earning every skill point. Too many skill points reward doing lots of damage at once or destroying so many units before X turn. Russel doesn't really do either of those well. At least he makes better use of Support Defend than 90% of the pilots that get it by default.

• Locked thread