Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 20, Moon Route

Here's our killboard standings from the end of the moon route. It doesn't really matter, as I'll be continuing from the Ethiopia version, since it went better overall and made it easier to farm kills for secrets (in addition to Bullet, Kai and Lamia both have secrets that require them to level up, although the timing isn't nearly as tight).

For the most part this mission is playing catch-up with Kyosuke's route, and most of its scenes are cut-and-pasted versions of what we've seen already, so for this update we'll forego the separate LPix posts.

Yuuki reports the success of his latest sortie, taking out an enemy submarine fleet in the Mozambique Channel. That should sort things out with the Federation in this area. He's still concerned about the forces massing in northern Africa, but Archibald tells him not to worry - Vindel's new mech is ready to go into action. Yuuki is surprised to learn that there's another new machine like the sword-equipped super robot they already unveiled, but apparently this is different: another mass-produced unit like the Randgrith, and much more powerful than the Huckebeins they captured. But if these new units are based on stolen Federation designs, when were they captured?

To people who may have played the game before and are getting excited, Archibald's not talking about that new mech; it's just the R-Eins again - or for the first time, rather. This mission is mostly getting moon-route players up to speed on what happened during the Ethiopia route.

-----

Carla gets the news that they won't be getting any rest any time soon, but isn't willing to let it get her down - the aliens could show up at any time, after all, and in order to prevent the worst, they need to wrap up the current missions against the Federation as quickly as possible. She asks about Seolla, but there hasn't been any word from her since Dr. Cero took her back to the lab.

-----

After this we have the scene from Ethiopia 17 of Ouka being awakened...

...a combination of the Ethiopia scenes of Lemon wanting to test the W-Series (Mission 19) and Vindel planning to send the R-Eins into battle (Mission 17)...

...and Seolla's reunion with Ouka.

-----

In the Shirogane's infirmary...

Tasuku: "Aw, man... my head's still ringing."
Russell: "Are... are you going to be okay?"
Tasuku: "Oh, yeah. I'm lucky it was just a concussion... got the Gan-Duro to thank for that."

Katina: "Well, whatever. It's good to have you back."
Tasuku: "...Huh? That's... awfully nice of you to say, Lieutenant."
Katina: "What's that? I can't say nice things?"

Tasuku: "Um, not so much can't as, uh... what do you think, Russell?"
Russell: "Huh? W-Well... I suppose's nice... occasionally..."
Katina: "Occasionally!?"

Tasuku quickly changes the subject to the current situation. After their defeat, the Shirogane has been ordered to withdraw from Africa and rendezvous with the Hagane. The sword-wielding super robot has been sighted elsewhere, as well; Ryusei's been doing some research and fills the others in on its similarity to Tesla's Grungust Type-3 design.

Katina: "I don't care who the pilot was... If he's gonna be our enemy, he's gonna get it!"
Russell: "Y-you're not really..."
Katina: "What, you think he'd listen to us?"
Tasuku: "Do you listen to us, Lieutenant..."

Katina: "What was that, you---"
Tasuku: "!"

Katina: "...That was close, you're injured. Gotta let you recover. You're off the hook this time."
Tasuku: (Wow, that's a surprise. Is she really mellowing out?)

Katina: "Anyway, where did Leona go?"
Tasuku: "Yeah, I said I was hungry a little while ago, and I haven't seen her since---"

:stonklol:

-----

Leona is pointedly not returning to the infirmary when Excellen happens to run across her.

Excellen: "Ooh, what's that you're carrying? Looks like a pot of---"
Leona: "I really should give this up."
Excellen: "...Huh?"

Leona: "I... messed it up again."
Excellen: "Messed it... oh, you mean---"
Leona: "Yes... it was supposed to be for him."

Excellen: "A little home cooking for your boyfriend? Nice move, Leona!"
Leona: "There's... nothing else I can do for him. But, nothing would still be better than..."
Excellen: "Hmm, I see what you mean..."

Excellen: "Well, why don't you season it in a way that doesn't taste good? Think outside the box, and all that."
Leona: "Huh...?"
Excellen: "For example, you could..."
Leona: "....."

-----

Tasuku: "So the crew's workin' overtime on the Gan-Duro, huh..."
Leona: "Yes... it's only a matter of time until we meet the enemy again, after all."
Tasuku: "Well, I can't lie around here while that's happening..."
Leona: "...You shouldn't."

Tasuku: "Um. What's the matter? You've been all quiet for a while. It's not like you."
Leona: "....."
Tasuku: "Hey, don't worry about me. I've got luck on my side, remember?"
Leona: "That's why I worry. If anything happened..."
Tasuku: "W-what? What's wrong?"

Leona: "Nothing, never mind. A-anyway... here."
Tasuku: "A pot? Is that for me?"
Leona: "Yes, I made it. I hope you... no, I mean, when you're better, maybe you can heat it up and---"

Tasuku: "...Nope, I'm eating it now."
Leona: "Huh!?"
Tasuku: "You made it just for me, right? It won't mean anything if I don't eat it now."
Leona: "W-wait!"

Tasuku: "Nope. If I don't scarf it down now, I gotta turn in my man card."
Leona: "You musn't!"
Tasuku: "Down the hatch!"
Leona: "N-Nooo!"

:kamina:

Mission 20: Arise, Holy Crusaders

Lee isn't at all happy with the Shirogane's status; they're operating at only 30% of their max propulsion, and their detection capabilities are nonexistent. In short, they're sitting ducks for an enemy attack, and they're late for their rendezvous with the Hagane to boot.

Murphy's law kicks in and enemies appear close on the Shirogane's tail. Lee orders immediate deployment.

Lee: "This is Platinum 1 to all units. This ship will be leaving the combat zone. Intercept the enemy, and defend the Shirogane at all costs---"
Katina: "...And lay down our lives if need be, I bet?"
Lee: "Naturally. You're expendable. This ship isn't."
Katina: "What was that!?"

Excellen: "Ooh... I guess that's part of our launch routine now."
Russell: "L-Lieutenant... you're fighting with the captain again."
Excellen: "Oh, well. They're fighting now, sure... but maybe they'll end up as the best of friends?"

Katina: "Like hell!"
Lee: "Don't be ridiculous!"
Excellen: "Wow, they even give the same reactions."
Russell: (They really do...)

Leona: "...Tasuku, are you feeling all right?"
Tasuku: "Better than ever after your porridge, Leona!"
Ryusei: "You look okay... are you sure you actually ate it?"
Tasuku: "Hey, that was good stuff. I'm definitely not worried about after we're married now."

Leona: "I-If you have time to joke around, then get in position!"
Tasuku: "Yes, dear..."
Excellen: (Well, there we go. I guess it worked, Leona...?)

Katina: "All right, it's go time! Let's give these goons a kick in the teeth!"

Objectives. Wipe out the enemy without losing anyone; take out nine units within the first two turns for the battle mastery.

We have a dozen Sorpresas to fight, including a couple of twin units. Adding to the fun, the Shirogane is at roughly 4000 health, has severely reduced movement, and is an NPC unit for the mission; it'll limp slowly towards the east end of the map, but the fighters will outpace it in no time.

This mission's pretty miserable, and all the fun happens right at the start.

The pilots of these Sorpresas are utter dicks; most of them will evade on your turn, which means that even after using Focus, your hitrates on them will be abysmal.

Not only are they hard to hit, but they have enough health that most weapons will have to hit them twice in order to get a kill.

If your people can use Strike, that's not a problem, and Old Reliable here always gets the job done.

But even in the R-Blade, Katina can't dodge well enough to avoid going down in a hail of gunfire on the next turn.

And dodgier pilots like Leona still have a 20-30% chance of being hit on the enemy phase, which doesn't pan out well given the sheer number of enemies. And even then, the jets are far more interested in the Shirogane than in you; as low as its health is, that's a serious problem.

The issue with this mission is that your success ends up leaning pretty heavily on luck. Only people with Strike can hit reliably, so your strategy would be hinging on Tasuku (who can't hit anything more than one space away in the Gan-Duro), Katina (who can't dodge worth anything), Ryusei (whose decent weapons on the R-1 have either a one-space range or a morale requirement) and Russell (who would need three or four hits to kill enemies instead of one or two). If you want to use Leona or Excellen, i.e. somebody with some range, you have to roll the dice.

We end up muddling through, somewhat, after a couple of restarts. Katina hides out in the forest to make her dodge rate a little less horrendous, Leona softened up the enemies on the right but got chewed up herself, and Excellen's in the center hoping to take out a few with counterattacks.

At the end of the player phase on Turn 2 we still don't have the mastery; we're basically hoping that we get lucky during the enemy phase.

That's not a promising start.

Lee orders evasive maneuvers and anti-aircraft fire, but the Shirogane's auxiliary engine has reached its limit; they're slowing down.

Katina: "Everybody near the Shirogane, kill those newcomers! We're not letting that ship go down!"
Russell: "R-Roger!"

And then the newcomers promptly swarm the Shirogane and kill it. So that's a nice little kick in the junk.

So we restart and try again. There's a little bit of a problem here. The game implies that you should be staying close to the Shirogane to defend it (and basic strategy would dictate that as well), but that would mean fewer people attacking the first wave of Sorpresas, and we're already having enough trouble getting our kills (in two turns, remember) as it stands. Also, if you let the fighters get near the Shirogane, they'll just ignore you and attack it.

In the end, I give up on actually defending the ship; instead I have Russell spam Trust on it a few times to get its health up to a manageable level. Hopefully this time around it'll last long enough for me to wipe out the attackers.

The victory run has Tasuku tanking most of the initial wave of enemies during the second turn, retaliating with Giga Blaster for as long as his energy holds. This wouldn't work as a strategy for the mission - you can't count on it to kill enemies in one hit, and his EN would run dry before the first turn was out - but if the Sorpresas have all been softened up during the first turn, the Gan-Duro will do fine for mopping up.

The enemy reinforcements arrive, but a couple more kills from Tasuku later, we have our battle mastery. :toot:

Having kept our people back a little further this time around, we can keep the second wave of jets at least partially distracted.

Lee still ends up losing more health than he had when the mission began.

Finally, we're at the player phase of turn 3. The battle mastery's done, but those last few enemies will still sink the Shirogane if they're not killed this turn. Bad news is, they're all at full health. The worse news is, Tasuku and Leona have blown through their energy and can't really contribute.

Ryusei kills one, Tasuku settles for punching whoever's closest...

Russell and Katina double-team a third, but that leaves us with Excellen, and she won't be able to one-shot either of the units that's threatening the ship. Looks like another restart's on the horizon.

Lee shares my assessment of the situation and yells at Katina to kill things faster. Katina yells back that she doesn't need him to tell her that.

But then, at last, some good news: Steel 2 has arrived.

Lee's not happy, but everybody else is glad to see Kyosuke and friends.

Especially me, because that makes finishing off the Sorpresas really easy - although Excellen's team is in sad shape, and they had to burn through pretty much all their SP to pull it off.

With the enemy units eliminated, Daitetsu orders everyone to stay on their guard. Tasuku gets his introduction to the Angelg to Lamia.

Excellen says she has something to warn Kyosuke about, but it turns out that he's already met the sword-wielding super robot from before; the were called in to rescue some other Federation troops, but it killed them when they arrived. Nobody wants to consider that Sanger has turned against them again, but...

Daitetsu: "This is Daitetsu Minase of the Hagane. Our troops will guard the area. Finish your engine repairs as quickly as possible."
Lee: "...Understood. But why is the Hagane here?"
Daitetsu: "You were late to the rendezvous. It's lucky we arrived when we did."
Lee: "...I had things under control. Under the circumstances, wasn't it reckless to leave as you did?"

Tetsuya: "Lee, what are you saying!?"
Lee: "You're out of line, Tetsuya. Good grief... when will you remember your rank?"

:siren:

New hostiles arrive, and it's a bunch of Gespensts.

Same conversation from Ethiopia 17 about how nobody should be using Gespies any longer.

So now we have a crapton of Gespensts to take out, and half of our force is exhausted. Not to worry, because these are nothing compared to the fighters.

Nothing at all. They can't dodge or hit worth anything.

At this point I just want this mission over, so you'll get the accelerated version.

After one turn...

And after two turns. This wave of Gespensts pretty much evaporated without incident.

Latooni picks off the last (with her terrible MP Huckebein :argh:).

But wait, there's more!

It's Ouka and Echidna in the R-Eins. This time around, Ryusei does most of the filling in on how the R-Blade shouldn't be that far along in its design yet.

And then the same conversation between Ouka and Latooni...

...And then the same conversation between Lamia and Echidna, with the added bit from Ethiopia 19 about how the Gespenst pilots are their brothers.

And now we have the W-Series pilots to fight.

They're better than the grunts from the last wave, but there's only six of them.

One thing I neglected to point out in Ethiopia 19 is that the W-Series pilots all say "Executing Code ATA" when dying. Echidna mentioned it at one point, but otherwise it hasn't come up much.

At this point you're basically repeating Ethiopia 17, with its two bosses. There I took both Echidna and Ouka out; here, the first part of the mission has broken my will to continue and I'm not going to try, but it's entirely doable. You're stuck with Irm in the Gespenst this time around, and he only has enough SP to cast Valor once, but here you have both Kyosuke and Excellen, so Rampage Ghost balances it out a bit.

Instead I'm just going to have Irm and Kyosuke/Excellen double-team Ouka and chase her off immediately.

Regardless of whether you KO'd her mech, Ouka still has a breakdown of some sort before fleeing.

And then we dump a couple more attacks onto Echidna to make her retreat as well.

This is also the mission where you'd need to do one of Lamia's secret requirements, by having her move to where Echidna was standing before her retreat. On this route, the W-Series all retreat with Echidna, so if Ouka isn't on the field any longer, you miss your chance.

The two enemy aces have retreated, too quickly to pursue. Daitetsu orders the Gespenst wreckage recovered for analysis.

-----

For the most part, this mission's ending is a patchwork of scenes from the other route.

The crew talks to Ryoto about the R-Blades they fought, and he pitches his idea that they came from the future.

The Gespensts turned out not to have anybody inside. Excellen jokes that they're going to be haunted now and starts praying, and Katina yells at her.

Lamia finally decodes her mission disk, then has her conversation with Bullet about a soldier's purpose.

Instead of Kai and Rai coming in to reassure Latooni that they'll have a chance to help Ouka another day, it's Ryusei on this route.

Latooni's memories of the School.

:witch:

Lemon finally hears from W17. It'll be time for Van's speech soon, although she thinks this is a bit redundant after all the fighting they've already done. Vindel remarks that the chaos they've sought will be soon be at hand...

Van gives his speech...

...and Mitsuko and Graien conspire.

And the paths are finally reunited. Next time: :sparkles:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Updated with the actual translation and not a bunch of placeholders. :downs:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ok so its happening this time right, all the additions threw off my timing but... its happening right?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Ok so its happening this time right, all the additions threw off my timing but... its happening right?
No, there's one more thing before THAT stage happens.

Seyser's emote choice is the big glaring hint as to what's next.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AradoBalanga posted:

No, there's one more thing before THAT stage happens.

Seyser's emote choice is the big glaring hint as to what's next.

yes, the Hair right?

THINGS ARE STILL HIS FAULT

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Actually :kheldragar: is probably more appropriate for next mission, given what gets revealed.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the lesson we've learned: why the hell would you ever take the moon route

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Preview of Mechzilla?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
To get all the dialogue? It's part of the Ryusei route and the person playing is a Ryusei fanboy? <--not speaking from experience on that one, just suggesting.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's less useful here, since they give you the Gan-Duro upgrade stage, but taking the Moon route to upgrade the Hiryuu used to be very important back on the GBA.

Also the Octo Team is great and I don't know why you'd want to hang out with Bullet instead of them, but it takes all kinds.

(it's also not a bad idea to upgrade Leona's Guarlion a bit, and that really helps smooth out a lot of problems)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Looks like all my Tindeck uploads were recently deleted. I'll have to do something about that at some point, evidently.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh drat, mine are gone too.

I guess tindeck finally wised up.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Mine are still there, all the way up to W.

I'm scared they'll vanish now... :ohdear:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Seyser Koze posted:

Looks like all my Tindeck uploads were recently deleted. I'll have to do something about that at some point, evidently.

Looks like they're still there, though? :confused:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Aaaaaand they're all suddenly back. It's a... miracle? :confused:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think they just had server maintenance or something.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Honestly, I keep expecting Lee to snap and start team-killing and ranting about "this is the kind of loyalty a soldier should have to his commander."

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wounded Land posted:

Honestly, I keep expecting Lee to snap and start team-killing and ranting about "this is the kind of loyalty a soldier should have to his commander."

Me too. Doesn't help that he looks almost exactly like a 40K Commissar.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

I am pretty sure Katina is just waiting for an excuse. He knows it, she knows it, everyone knows it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 21

We celebrate the two teams' reunion with a little shuffling. We're continuing off of the Ethiopia route, so Katina and Russell were still in their Gespesnts. She gets the R-Blade, he gets the Armorlion. I also go back to the ammo creation screen and put a post-movement ammo part in a Rectangle Launcher, giving Katina a post-movement attack with 8 range. :getin:

Intro

quote:

Aya and Viletta discuss the progress of the Far East Base campaign. Viletta will be heading to the White Star shortly at Gilliam's request, and tells Aya to take care of "her" while she's gone. "Her" being the person they found inside of the recovered core of the Judecca. Septuagint regenerated her body, but her powers and memories are gone, and it seems Dr. Kobayashi is going to draft her into the SRX project. Aya, however, seems hesitant.

The African campaign is officially won for the NDCs. Van orders Archibald to take the duchy of Riksent next; they'll use it as a beachhead in their attacks on Aviano. He warns Archibald to contain himself and minimize damage, in order to show that the new DCs are different from the old. For his part, Archibald thinks that this is merely a pose on Van's part.

Kyosuke and Excellen compare their notes on the Einst and try to come up with an explanation for why they were the only ones who could hear their voices. The best they can come up with is the shuttle accident they both survived during training, but there's no reason to think the Einst were involved. Excellen suggests that they should just ask Alfimi when next they meet.

A massive DC attack diverts the Hagane's attention long enough for the NDCs to easily overrun Riksent in secret. joyce is furious; Archibald keeps his word to Van, but is obviously hoping for some kind of resistance so that he can retaliate violently. He asks about Princess Shine; Joyce claims she's away on official business, but that's not what Archibald heard. Sure enough, a unit is detected fleeing the area. Archibald plans to pursue himself.

Following the attack, the Hagane and Shirogane are escorting the Federation forces as they limp back to Europe. Riksent has gone silent and it's clear what has happened; however, a distress call comes in from a unit fleeing the country. Daitetsu immediately orders a rescue. Lee objects, but Daitetsu merely says that his gut tells him somebody important is in that unit and promises to take responsibility.

Hearing the news, Rai and Latooni immediately run out to take the lead on the rescue, with everybody else close behind. Lamia isn't sure what to make of their impulsiveness, given that it doesn't seem to be hampering their abilities.

Shine's escort is down to one fighter and a Lion, both heavily damaged. Shine orders the fighter pilot to bail out rather than continue, but is still resolved to continue alone for the sake of her people. Her pursuers begin to catch up to her, but shortly thereafter the Hagane arrives, to her relief and delight. Archibald arrives a second later, to his own delight - which only increases when he realizes Rai is here too.

Our objective is to get Shine next to the Hagane. Losing her or Rai is a game over, and for the battle mastery, we need to take out fifteen enemies (besides Archie) within four turns. Three turns, really, given that we're on our second already.

Aside from that initial trio of Sorpresas, we're dealing with a pretty unremarkable pack of Lions, Guarlions, and Barrelions. And you see that group of three regular Lions? Shine's the one in the middle.

So, since we picked the wrong direction to move Shine on the first turn (out of the two options available) she's immediately killed. Oops. Time to restart.

This time we go inland.

This time we also put Latooni in the Wildraubtier.

She immediately takes the front position, and it doesn't look like she'll have any trouble holding her own.

Lamia backs her up a little bit, but nobody else is really able to reach the enemy on the first turn. The mountain they were all parked on doesn't really help.

On the enemy phase we get a look at their attack patterns. For the most part the Lions and Barrels can be tanked just by parking someone in front of them (Latooni handles this just fine). That pack of four Guarlions, on the other hand, will ignore everything and go after Shine.

The bad news here is that the Raubtier's energy doesn't last for very long, and then Latooni's reduced to countering with weak missiles. So we need to get some more people in to make with the killing.

She does kill one, at least.

Anyway, on the next phase Rai moves over to get those Sorpresas off of Shine's tail. She can just keep retreating for the moment, but she's rapidly running out of map to retreat to.

Weak as they are, Latooni's missiles do start to take their toll.

Our other people start to catch up to her.

The Geneva Conventions forbid good guys to pilot Barrelions, so Katina settled for carrying one around with her instead.

We keep pressing forward and knock out one or two more before the third turn ends. The space between the enemy Guarlions and Shine (in the bottom-right corner) is rapidly shrinking.

Never fear, Russell is here.

drat it, Russell! You're supposed to stop this from happening!

Luckily, nobody else manages to catch up to Shine, and the main body of the enemies is still fruitlessly trying to kill Latooni. Of course, by the end of this turn she's out of missiles as well as energy.

In more worrying news, Archibald is on the move. Also it's now the fourth turn and we still need eight or so kills.

Rai helps take care of both problems at once with his Hi-Zol Launchers, taking out two of the pursuing Guarlions in one shot.

The Hagane finishes off another, and Ryusei and Irm double-team the fourth, taking the pressure off of Shine for the time being.

In the end I just have Kyosuke and Tasuku plow headlong into that big mass of Barrelions while Excellen and Lamia clear up the left side, which gives us the last kills we need for the mastery.

:toot:

Kai, Rai, and Russell set up a human barricade to keep Archibald under control for the time being.

On the fourth enemy phase the last pursuing Sorpresa tries to kill Ryusei and fails spectacularly, leaving Archie as the only enemy who's actually threatening Shine.

Compared to the uncannily terrifying Barrelions of the last few missions, these guys are a piece of cake. At this point the mission's basically over.

Although Archibald is still trying to capture his prey.

And he is actually a credible threat to Shine, even boxed in like this. He has a Graviton Launcher (the Huckebein Mk. II's Pelvic Thrust Cannon) and it gives him a very long range.

Archibald: "Mhmm... there's no escaping me, my dear princess."
Shine: "It won't end here... not like this!"
Archibald: "Oh, I won't take your life... I'd like to hear your lovely screams, after all..."

Even when defending, he does enough damage to one-shot Shine. So keep an eye out.

I ended up having to replay the turn a couple times; aside from what we just saw, Archie also withdraws if you kill all of his goons. He doesn't actually drop anything amazing, but it's the principle of the thing.

His R-Eins also has 40,000 health and retreats at 24,000. Eventually, we get him pinned down and go to work. But if he doesn't have Shine or the Hagane to go after, he'll go for Rai instead.

Rai: "You're mine!"
Archibald: (I called it fate, but this is our first encounter. So, second son of the house of Branstein... let's see what you're made of.)
Rai: "Who is this...?"

I tag Archibald a couple of times to shave off some health, but doing that much damage in one shot will still be a little tricky.

Part of the problem here is his Guard skill and the damage reduction it offers.

I have Excellen use her Daunt spirit to drop his morale by 10, putting him below the threshold at which Guard works. Hopefully this will make the difference.

Eventually we get things lined up.

Irm still does most of the heavy lifting, being one of the few people with Valor at this point.

Rampage Ghost.

Cure Mecha.

RUSSELL KIIIIIIIICK

Taking out Archie gets us a good chunk of experience. Still no Valor for Kyosuke, though.

He did have a couple lines that we didn't get to see:

quote:

Archibald: "We meet again, Kyosuke Nanbu."
Kyosuke: "I know that voice. You were at Houston?"
Archibald: "Indeed. Do you remember? I told you we'd be seeing a great deal of each other."
Kyosuke: "I'm not interested. Let's make this the last time."

quote:

Excellen: "Oh? You're that thief, aren't you?"
Archibald: "Quite so! I'm honored that you remember me."
Excellen: "Are you trying to steal the Princess' heart now? Setting your sights a bit high, wouldn't you say?"
Archibald: "If possible, I'd like to take yours as well."
Excellen: "What a ladykiller! But sorry, I'm not one for sweet talk."

Given that Archibald is a proper gentleman, I'm sure he'll be all class in his defeat.

Closing

quote:

Realizing that the battle is lost, Archibald starts to withdraw - but stops at the last second and opens a communications channel. He introduces himself to Rai by name, which he and Leona both recognize. Rai flies into a sudden rage and rushes Archibald; promising to "send him to meet her," Archibald blasts Rai point-blank and nearly destroys his mech before withdrawing.

Aboard the Hagane, Shine thanks the crew for their help. She's keeping a strong face, but is clearly under a great deal of stress and blames herself for leaving her people behind. Hearing that Rai should be fine, she goes off to the infirmary to see him.

The other pilots discuss Rai's uncharacteristic explosion. Leona explains the cause - Archibald Grims was the mastermind of the Elpis Incident, the terrorist attack that claimed the life of Cattleya Branstein. In other words, he's the Branstein family's sworn enemy.

Rai awakens from dreaming about Cattleya to see Shine at his bedside. She thanks him for the help, but doesn'tto believe his statement that she's grown. Realizing the stress she's under, he advises her not to think of this as a running away, but as preparation for the next battle to reclaim her homeland. This proves too much for her and she breaks down in tears. Rai thinks that he now has two reasons to make Archibald pay.

Aboard a DC ship, Lemon and Vindel talk about the campaign's progress. Wodan has performed as expected; nonetheless, Lemon is having him regularly interface with Magus to renew the control. Vindel doesn't like this, thinking that it would be far better to erase his memories completely and rebuild from scratch. Subdued, Lemon agrees that he may be right. They're interrupted by Echidna, who reports that a friendly mech is approaching - the Soulgain.

Next time on Super Abobo Tyson: :shepface:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Next time on Super Abobo Tyson: :shepface:
HAHAHAHAHA

Buckle up folks. It's finally time for THAT stage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So yeah, the "big reveal": Archibald Grims is totally a terrorist who enjoys death because and has now managed to piss off over half of our squad personally. :moreevil: Also, Trombe is a horse.

If anyone is really surprised about either fact, raise your hand.

AradoBalanga posted:

HAHAHAHAHA

Oh BOY. I forgot it was this early on, or maybe it just seems earlier since so little has actually happened in the grand scheme of the plot.

Godspeed, Seyzer.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

Oh BOY. I forgot it was this early on, or maybe it just seems earlier since so little has actually happened in the grand scheme of the plot.
It's actually been fairly eventful, but for the past three months give or take we've been seeing things on one route and then being told about the same things on the other route and then seeing them again on that same route.

Thankfully there's only two route splits to go.

KataraniSword posted:

Godspeed, Seyzer.

:shepicide:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
You did upgrade the Hiryu and give it a resupply module, right? I mean, they gave you those Gan-Duro upgrade stages and everything...

Anyway, I'm glad they completely forget the Elpis Incident ever happened after this game, because lord that subplot is boring and dumb.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Evil John Lennon! :argh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welcome to Hell.

Also I absolutely adore Rai's breakdown, because he just doesn't do it. Also his angry portrait in the GBA is nice.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Lamia having to deal with Excellen really helps keep the old "Beep Boop why what are feelings" routine afloat :allears:

Though it would figure that Archibald McBloodtea would have "PS, I killed your family" on his resume.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Section Z posted:

Lamia having to deal with Excellen really helps keep the old "Beep Boop why what are feelings" routine afloat :allears:

Though it would figure that Archibald McBloodtea would have "PS, I killed your family" on his resume.

Excellen is uniquely adept at making a robot go "beep boop what are these things I am feeling", one almost feels sorry for Lamia. Everyone in our band of misfits (plus Lee) would eventually get there but Ms "sting like a butterfly" is a shock therapy as delivered by a mecha train loaded with bulldozers.

The bulldozers are mechas too, of course.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AradoBalanga posted:

HAHAHAHAHA

Oh boy. I've been looking forward to this all LP. This will be magical. :magical:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It doesn't seem so early, given that the stage in question was 4 stages earlier in the original game, and part of the challenge was that you didn't get to upgrade any of the involved units.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Ok, yeah, this one is entirely Daitetsu's fault, because he's not just running off to save some random VIP: he's saving someone who's already been abducted by the DC, and was made to control an army of robots remotely ON TOP of being able to see the future. Shine isn't just some Disney princess: she's a very unique and potentially very dangerous asset, both on her own and because of her kingdom. Lee should both know and appreciate BOTH of these facts, as should the DC, so there is no need to be cryptic about what Daitetsu's ship and crew are trying to do.

Daitetsu's literally just being an rear end, and he should know better. :colbert:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

thetruegentleman posted:

Daitetsu's literally just being an rear end, and he should know better. :colbert:

Yes, because sensitive information like "We think they're after a VIP that could give them an advantage and we're going to go rescue her" is best shared over a comm channel, no matter how heavily encrypted (hint: encryptions can be broken.) :colbert:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
There would have been a good chance that Lee simply wouldn't have believed them. Then again, he's also just pissed at Daitetsu because there's not a thing he can do to stop him. Daitetsu is the same rank as him, and has more military honors and experience.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

Ok, yeah, this one is entirely Daitetsu's fault, because he's not just running off to save some random VIP: he's saving someone who's already been abducted by the DC, and was made to control an army of robots remotely ON TOP of being able to see the future. Shine isn't just some Disney princess: she's a very unique and potentially very dangerous asset, both on her own and because of her kingdom. Lee should both know and appreciate BOTH of these facts, as should the DC, so there is no need to be cryptic about what Daitetsu's ship and crew are trying to do.

She wasn't controlling an army of robots remotely, she was piloting the Valsion Custom with the help of the GEIM System. The GEIM System was doing most of the work, Shine just fed it data from her future-seeing. It's bad, but it's not catastrophically bad.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

SorataYuy posted:

Yes, because sensitive information like "We think they're after a VIP that could give them an advantage and we're going to go rescue her" is best shared over a comm channel, no matter how heavily encrypted (hint: encryptions can be broken.) :colbert:

Earth's Cradle is, quite literally, where Shine was taken to be turned into a weapon; I think it's safe to assume that the DC know about her. They may not want (or need) to use her as a weapon, but the possibility (and fear) exists; ESPECIALLY since the DC are using weapons that shouldn't exist already. Besides, Riksent was mentioned to Lee, so the DC would know the Hagane is in the area anyway; there's no good reason to be cryptic.

Onmi posted:

There would have been a good chance that Lee simply wouldn't have believed them. Then again, he's also just pissed at Daitetsu because there's not a thing he can do to stop him. Daitetsu is the same rank as him, and has more military honors and experience.

That's possible, and even if Lee believed then, he would still consider Shine a lesser priority (at the moment) than saving the remnants of the Federation's army: if they lose the army, the Hagane and crew will be the last line of defense for the Federation (again) and Lee, at the very least, would want to avoid that at all costs.

Even so, he is, as you said, the same rank: at the very least, he deserves to know the Hagane is at least doing SOMETHING for the war effort, instead of just flat out endangering the lives of the remaining soldiers out of pure recklessness. If I were in Lee's position, I would suspect Daitetsu is a fan of engineered heroics: wait for the Federation remnants to come under attack, then show up 'just in time' to turn things around. They get the glory, I get to watch my men die. And sadly, most of the Federation brass seems corrupt enough to make that a justifiable fear, and the Hagane does have a bad tendency to show up at the most dramatic time...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

thetruegentleman posted:

If I were in Lee's position, I would suspect Daitetsu is a fan of engineered heroics: wait for the Federation remnants to come under attack, then show up 'just in time' to turn things around. They get the glory, I get to watch my men die. And sadly, most of the Federation brass seems corrupt enough to make that a justifiable fear, and the Hagane does have a bad tendency to show up at the most dramatic time...

I would love to see a good, solid political intrigue writer play that angle sincerely. Sadly, this is SRW, where politics ALWAYS exists as nothing more than an obstacle to block the proper amount of :black101: hot blood.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

thetruegentleman posted:

Earth's Cradle is, quite literally, where Shine was taken to be turned into a weapon; I think it's safe to assume that the DC know about her.

The enemy forces knowing about her is a given - LOUDLY BROADCASTING THE FACT THAT THEY ARE GOING TO TOTALLY GO RESCUE THIS IMPORTANT PERSON THAT THEY'RE AFTER, YOU GUIZE (which was my point) is strategically and tactically moronic. gently caress Lee, and the horse he rode in on, he just wants every to do what he says because he's always right and everyone should be happy to die for him since they're going to die anyway. (No, really, gently caress Lee and his view point, he's a bitter jackass that should have been relieved of command the minute it became obvious he was letting his personal vendetta interfere with his ability to effectively lead. He makes it way too obvious with his "RAWR, GO DIE FOR ME, 'HEROES'.")

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
No one actually uses private lines or encryption in a Super Robot Wars game unless it's specifically to maintain the mystery of a character. Yelling at each other in combat when there's no logical reason to have open comm lines is a staple.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

No one actually uses private lines or encryption in a Super Robot Wars game unless it's specifically to maintain the mystery of a character. Yelling at each other in combat when there's no logical reason to have open comm lines is a staple.

This is factually not true, people use Private lines all the time. Like I know comedy-wise there's the open channels stuff, but they actually do get a lot of mileage out of private communication. Even between protagonists revealed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Not gonna lie, the next bunch of stages while not my favourite gameplay-wise just knock it out of the park in what they set out to do dramatically.

• Locked thread