Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ashram posted:

Ratsel might be best Quattro but he is only second best Ord.

All Ords are equally best, because they can all scream for the UNIVAAAAAAASU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
According to a German friend, the proper name would be Rtselhaft, not Ratsel.

Have fun remembering that. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

I think they wanted to clear out everyone that wasn't Kusuha's @2's plot early, which works fine for Arado and Sanger but really hurts Ibis because she relies heavily on bits of @2 that aren't in OG2. And they wanted to show off Filio and gets some backstory for Project TD but just kind of screwed it up instead.

It probably could've been helped if Sleigh wasn't so openly antagonistic, more just "Ibis, get out before you get hurt" until the big break, but that didn't happen.
I agree that if they hadn't originally went into OG2 GBA with the mindset of "every antagonist/rival must be 200% unlikable, no matter what", this probably could have been avoided. Like you said, if Sleigh was more "You have talent Ibis, but you need to improve and focus more" and less ":byodame: I AM SUPERIOR TO YOU IN EVERYTHING EVER!!", then she'd come off more understandable and less annoying.

Ashram posted:

P.S: Ratsel Feinschmecker really doesn't make any sense in german you know. It basicly means he likes tasty riddles.
I would not be surprised if this was a case of :thejoke:.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AradoBalanga posted:

I agree that if they hadn't originally went into OG2 GBA with the mindset of "every antagonist/rival must be 200% unlikable, no matter what", this probably could have been avoided. Like you said, if Sleigh was more "You have talent Ibis, but you need to improve and focus more" and less ":byodame: I AM SUPERIOR TO YOU IN EVERYTHING EVER!!", then she'd come off more understandable and less annoying.

Yeah, OG2 had some weird writing choices. Some of them are buffed out here, some aren't. In general the OG series' biggest problem has been getting past the writing choices they made while this was all some weird experiment on the GBA instead of one of the major flagships of the franchise.

If I was planning the whole thing out I'd probably swallow my favouritsm and keep Ibis and Sleigh as cameos for OG2 to provide foreshadowing for the @2 plot proper along with the Sleigh attitude adjustment, but I can see why they wanted to bring in the popular @2 characters as soon as possible. They did the same thing with @3, after all. (tease Cobray as soon as possible! Bring in Touma and Selena before their plots kick off!)

quote:

I would not be surprised if this was a case of :thejoke:.

No, I'm pretty sure this is just some poor guy with a Japanese-German dictionary, just like all the mech names.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 8, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of neat how the battle mastery is playing into the enemy's hands here, so to speak.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Glazius posted:

It's kind of neat how the battle mastery is playing into the enemy's hands here, so to speak.

That's one word you could use to describe it, I suppose.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Oh Ratsel, you're so ridiculous.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
This week's update will be a day or two late in order to not stay up until 3 AM playing video games for the Internet.

EDIT: he said, and then he stayed up that late doing chalice dungeons anyway

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 17, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 25

Change of pace! We actually get to use the pilots on the intermission screen for once. That hasn't happened for a few weeks.

We need to make some preparations. As you could guess from the end of the last mission, Ibis is going to be going head-to-head against Sleigh, and we already know how that matchup will turn out. So we're going to even the scales a little bit with the help of those items the Inspectors helpfully gave us at the White Star.

That would be the High-Performance Cybernetic Brain, the Hero's Mark, and the Steel Soul. Between them, Ibis gets a whopping +80 to her mobility. She's going to need every last point of that, and then some.

Intro

quote:

Sleigh has taken off from the transport on a direct course towards Tesla Reich, no doubt planning to rescue her brother alone. However, once she's put some distance between her and the Ladybird, she slows down, allowing Ibis to catch up to her. Ibis pleads with her to return, but Sleigh coldly responds that she's never thought of her as a friend, and challenges her to a dogfight to prove who's really number one. Ibis has no illusions about her chances, but agrees anyway - on the condition that Sleigh will come back with her if she wins.

Mission 25: Rip Through The Night, Shooting Star

The objectives really... aren't, actually. The game tells you to shoot Sleigh down and that losing Ibis is a failure condition, but as you can probably guess, this scene is meant to be a one-sided beatdown with Ibis on the receiving end.

This looks suspiciously like the canyon map where we fought Ouka for the first time, even though we're probably flying over Nebraska at this point. :japan: Only about half of it's actually going to be in use this time.

Anyway, like I was saying, this is almost a scripted loss, normally. Without the 80 mobility that the Inspector items gave us, Sleigh would have a 100% hitrate against Ibis, and Ibis' hitrate on her would be more like 15-20. Ibis has Grit, but not Focus, so keeping her alive would mean only attacking when Sleigh attacked us, hoping we got lucky and hit her a bunch of times before Ibis' SP ran out. Oh, and Sleigh's Calion has 20,000 health now.

Instead, things are actually sort of in our favor, so we can use Grit as a safety net instead of relying on it to keep Ibis alive.

Ibis: "Kh... she's fast!"
Sleigh: "Our machines are the same... the only difference between us is talent!"

Picture this happening a bunch of times.

Sleigh: "Well, Ibis? Do you see the gap between us now!?"
Ibis: "I can't give up! If we're going to the stars, it'll take Filio, and the Chief, and you and me together!"

So, five to six thousand damage per turn.

Of course, Sleigh does eventually luck out and hit Ibis with a counterattack.

And then she does it again on the enemy phase before we can re-cast Grit. :sigh: If it wasn't for the extra little bit of armor that the Inspector items provide, Ibis would probably have been one-shot here.

But she manages to wrap things up on Turn 4. And she gets a level or two out of the deal! :toot:

Sleigh: :stare:
Ibis: "I... I won!?"

Sleigh: "Ibis! This duel isn't over yet!"

She uses her hax powers to refill her health.
Sleigh: "I can't afford to lose! I have to be number one!"

"Take this, Ibis! You'll never match my speed!"

Ibis: "Not good! I... I'm going down!"

:smith:

Sleigh: "Hmph. She ejected."

The Ladybird arrives...
Tsugumi: :stonk:
Kusuha: "Ibis!"
Sleigh: "Don't worry. She's alive."

Tsugumi: "Sleigh, you..."
Sleigh: "Do you see, Chief? Isn't it clear now which of us is more worthy of the Alpha prototype?"

Ibis: "It's okay... just come back to the team, Sleigh..."

Ibis: "I'm used to getting shot down... it's just a few bruises, nothing to worry about..."
Sleigh: "....."

Ibis: "If you're satisfied, Sleigh... then let's go back to Project TD..."
Sleigh: "....."
Ibis: "Someday, I'll prove myself to you, I promise... and then, we can fly through the stars together, you and me..."

Ibis: "So, let's go home..."
Sleigh: "Ibis..."

Holy crap, she's actually going to pull this off. If nobody interrupts, we can resolve this without any

Ratsel: "You should understand now, Sleigh - why Filio chose Ibis over you."
Sleigh: "...!"
Ratsel: "While you were fixated on your rank, her eyes have been on something far beyond that. It's clear which of you is more worthy of the stars."

god drat it ratsel

Sleigh: "Shut up!"
Ibis: "Sleigh!?"
Sleigh: "If you won't acknowledge me, no matter what I do... then I'll make you recognize my skill!"

Ibis: "Sleigh, wait!"
Sleigh: "We're enemies now, Ibis! The next time we meet, your life is over! Count on it!"

Sleigh hits the afterburners and speeds away, ignoring Ibis' cries. Tsugumi stares after her in shock; after a moment, Ratsel suggests that they just focus on recovering Ibis' downed Calion.

But in the midst of doing that, the Inspectors' troops arrive, surrounding them.

Ratsel and Kusuha immediately head out to clear a path. Ratsel warns Kusuha that this may be a repeat of last time - i.e. the enemy commander is still waiting in the wings - and the battle begins.

So now we get to protect the Ladybird from the enemies, and we see our battle mastery requirement: clear the map by the end of Turn 7. It's the start of Turn 4 now.

Those new enemies consist of a bunch of jets and Guarlions to the south, and a few more jets and Guarlions to the west with one Landlion twin thrown in just for the hell of it. This looks like a lot for two people to take on in a couple turns, but it's not really.

Ratsel hits the afterburners and goes west, Kusuha pops Strike and Guard and flies south.

Kusuha doesn't make a whole lot of headway on the first turn, mostly due to the G-Hawk's weapons being super weak.

Ratsel has enough morale to use the Trombe's Graviton Rifle, which still isn't enough to one-shot the Guarlions. It does well enough for the Landlions and jets, though, and the entire wave is damaged for the next turn.

Except for this rear end in a top hat who ignored Ratsel completely, but one shot from the rifle fixes that on the next turn.

Kusuha goes to humanoid mode, but on the next enemy phase another jet tries to pull the same trick. :argh:

Oh well, she'll just get around to him once she kills his friends. Unless she crosses an invisible kill threshold and triggers the arrival of another OG1 character, of course.

The alarm signals the approach of another unit - but Kusuha quickly recognizes that it's not an enemy.

Kusuha: "Masaki!"
Masaki: "Hey, long time, no see!"

Shiro: "You been well, Kusuha?"
Kusuha: "Shiro!"
Kuro: "Masaki, Shiro, this isn't the time to be palling around!"

Masaki: "Yeah, guess not. Looks like you're in the middle of something? Let me give you a hand."
Kusuha: "But you shouldn't..."
Masaki: "I heard about the aliens. That's why I came back."
Kusuha: "...Then, thank you, Masaki."
Masaki: "Hey, it's nothing."
Shiro: "Masaki, here they come!"
Masaki: "Got it. Shiro, Kuro... let's go!"
Kuro: "OK!"

And Cybuster's just in time!

...For the enemy phase to continue and for Kusuha to kill everything. :thumbsup:

Ratsel finishes clearing things up on his end, leaving just that one jet that flew past Kusuha.

Secret Mech
1. Ratsel must have 35 kills by the end of Mission 25

Let's let Masaki get at least one kill this map. These are his numbers with Focus, by the way. :suicide:

Well, at least he didn't get hit.

Kusuha, show him how it's done.

Better.

:toot:

Closing

quote:

The delay has allowed Aguija to overtake the transport. She seems to recognize Cybuster, and asks Masaki if he knows anything about Shu Shirakawa's whereabouts. Masaki is shocked by this, and Aguija adds that Shu's pretty notorious with them after the commotion he caused a while back - which was actually beneficial to the Inspectors. Ratsel guesses that she's talking about the start of the DC War in Antarctica. Aguija proceeds to make a run at Cybuster, saying that she's always wanted to see whether it or the Silbelwind are faster. Unbelievably, she seems to have the advantage...

Aboard the transport, Ibis frantically looks for a mech that's in working condition, insisting that she has to do something or all Project TD's work will come to nothing. Realizing that this is what Filio saw in her, Tsugumi shows her the Alpha prototype, or "Astelion," as it's officially designated. Without hesitation, Ibis leaps into the cockpit, promising that she won't let Tsugumi down.

Things are looking bad for Masaki when Ibis launches and attacks, taking Aguija off-guard. She's not prepared for the strain of piloting the Astelion, but Masaki is able to take advantage of the opening to strike again, giving her enough time to follow up with the RaMVs maneuver. The combined assault damages the Silbelwind badly enough that Aguija is forced to retreat, swearing that they'll continue this later. Masaki is duly impressed with Ibis' timely assistance and introduces himself to her as an equal, taking her aback. Before returning to the carrier, an automatic recording plays in the Astelion's cockpit, triggered by performing the RaMVs maneuver; Filio congratulates Ibis on her growth, telling her to treat her "Shooting Star" nickname as a badge of honor rather than an insult.

The pilots convene aboard the transport; Masaki had been hoping that Shu would've turned up at Tesla Reich at some point, but takes the news from Kusuha and Tsugumi in stride. He decides to join up with the Hiryu along with the rest, reasoning that Shu will make an appearance at some point. As the transport nears the Hiryu, Ratsel takes his leave, saying that he needs to deliver the Grungust Type-3 to "somebody," but promising that he'll see everyone again in time.

The transport makes its rendezvous with the Hiryu and reunions are had all around (some more ineptly than others, as Masaki demonstrates with Lune). Tsugumi asks about the status of Tesla Reich, but the prognosis isn't good; North America's forces are in total chaos, and there's little chance of a speedy rescue. She takes this in, but the strain of the escape takes its toll on her and she nearly collapses. Kusuha brings her to the infirmary, and she confesses that with everything that's gone wrong, she has no idea what to do. Kusuha tells her that she still has Ibis, and that she believes Ibis will carry her through.

In Paris, Brian takes a report on the invasion of North America; it's essentially a rout, with 90% of the Federation installations being overrun by the Inspectors, although they show little interest in anything else, beyond cutting the population centers off from global communications. Nibhal's attempts to contact the Inspectors at Brian's behest have met with no success, but Brian urges him to continue. Moving on, Nibhal tells Brian that Federation command has developed a strategy for a counterattack against the aliens, called Operation Plantagenet.

At the Far East Base, Commander Laker and Kenzo Kobayashi discuss the current situation; it's important that the R-3 and R-GUN be set up for Twin Contact as soon as possible. This essentially confirms that she will be piloting the R-GUN. Laker voices his concerns about the arrangement. Kenzo confirms that the subject's memories of the White Star are gone, but even if they weren't, there would be no option; SRX will need the power offered by Twin Contact.

Meanwhile, the subject in question has a dream. A shadowy figure from our past tells her to return to Judecca...

Aya interrupts, awakening Mai Kobayashi from her nightmare. She can't remember what she was dreaming about, beyond that she was terrified of it, but Aya's presence soothes her. Aya promises her that she'll always be there for Mai - that's what big sisters do for their little sisters, after all.

At Aviano, the Hagane's bow module has arrived. Tetsuya and Daitetsu talk about the military situation; the NDCs have been quiet, which isn't surprising given that fighting the aliens was Van's stated goal. Daitetsu expresses his concerns about a third party manipulating the Neue DCs from behind the scenes.

The Hiryu arrives at Aviano and the pilots exchange their hellos - and survey the new machines from Mao Industries and Tesla Reich. Kyosuke notices two units on the manifest that aren't there; it turns out that they're the Silver and Gold units, which were commissioned specifically by the Duchy of Riksent.

Tsugumi shows Princess Shine the mechs in question. Shine likes what she sees. :sparkles:

Kusuha apologizes to Irm and Bullet for what happened at Tesla, but they - and Ring - reassure her that she's made the best of a bad situation. Irm gives Bullet some ribbing over the need to make up lost time with Kusuha, which largely falls flat.

Leona and Tasuku look over the Astelion, then say hello to Ibis when they meet her. Leona immediately asks for a moment alone, then asks her about Sleigh. It turns out that the two of them crosses paths when Leona was in the Treue Squadron; Sleigh was scouted for the squadron herself, but turned it down to be in Project TD. Ibis realizes that Leona may have a bit of a rivalry with Sleigh, but tells her that she has her own reasons for wanting to defeat the rogue pilot. Silently, Ibis swears that she has to become stronger...

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Broken Loose posted:

Also, I believe you misspoke, Seyzer. He didn't have a MkIII last game. The MkIII didn't even exist back then.
Well, "same mech" more along the lines of "a black Huckebein with 'Trombe' in the unit name."

Ashram posted:

P.S: Ratsel Feinschmecker really doesn't make any sense in german you know. It basicly means he likes tasty riddles.
So he's Nougami Neuro, in other words. Next we'll have a villain of the week who hums the Star-Spangled Banner while going on about how much he loves guns.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Ah, Ratsel, incapable of not being smug.

And this is where Cybuster and Valsione really start falling off and don't come back into their own until 2ndOG. They're usable, but they have trouble with grunts. They're still good for post-move MAPing, but outside of that niche I've always had trouble using them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The other way to make this fight easier is to upgrade the Calion, as it transfers to the Astelion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now the party is reunited. I do like how the sprites moving in the cutscenes can lead to some silly setups, like Aguija's boasting right next to the transport she trying to get.

Also, I am looking forward to the next stage, since it has a lot of things going on. Stupidity, great remixes, dumb plots, and a time limit on the battle mastery that the game doesn't tell you about.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MarsDragon posted:

Ah, Ratsel, incapable of not being smug.

And this is where Cybuster and Valsione really start falling off and don't come back into their own until 2ndOG. They're usable, but they have trouble with grunts. They're still good for post-move MAPing, but outside of that niche I've always had trouble using them.

You're kidding, right? Lune has great base skills, great stats, great Will gains, an insane Ace bonus, and a Love bonus by being next to Masaki. Since Cross Smasher doesn't need Will to be fired, she instantly becomes the best Support Attacker in the game, and her Psychoblasters are still ridiculously useful (especially with all her +damage boosts, holy loving poo poo).

If you can't make use of a character who has a base +20% Attacker, +12% Love, +10% Ace Bonus, and natural Level 8 Gunfight (she is literally the most damaging character in the game, able to easily clear 400k damage) on top of a gigantic and strong post-move MAP weapon, being able to equip weapons on her robot, AND having built-in Afterimage that can go up to 70% activations with the FUB.... I really don't know what to loving tell you. Lune's only real downside is that she doesn't have a way to break barriers like all the Combination Attack/Fury pilots can do, but it evens out since her Support Attack abilities are so ridiculous.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh hey, we're starting to reach the bit of OG2's plot I actually remember.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah Lune and Ibis were my main Support Attack bots the moment I got them. They're both really good at that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Goddamn it, Ratsel.

Just because she can't be as cool as you doesn't mean you need to shatter Sleigh's dreams. :sigh:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Ibis has the best determined face.

I said before I wasn't too crash hot on the way it was delivered in terms of the mission gameplay itself, but I that I still really liked all those missions because of how well they introduced how utterly dire the situation was while pushing everyone together. It's a great deal of chaos and confusion, with the heroes fighting not to crush their enemies but to survive them. I also like it cause it comes on the heels of the NDC rising which is fairly reminiscent of the way the DC kicked off in the first game, basically taking the familiarity of it all and screwing around with it while using it as a platform to get everyone together again. This is not a scenario where our enemies are going to stand in line and wait for us to trash one side before focusing on the next one.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
drat Ratsel, what the hell?

:angel:: Your still my friend and comrade, Sleigh. Let's go home.
:gerty:: Ibis...I guess I can still...
:c00lbert:: Hey Sleigh, figure out why you're a failure who's ignored by her own brother yet?
:byodood:: Screw you guys! I'm leaving.

I'm sure all this won't come back to kill bite Filio in the rear end.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
I always call Ibis's theme "A Falling Star Divides The Night Sky," because it's a Symphony X reference :v:

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
It seems some has forgotten he is no longer on the bad guys side...
Is it just me or does Sleigh seem like a bit of a waste (character wise). She isn't there as a rival, or for Iblis to look up to. It's just antagonism and arrogance all the way.

Anyway...so Masaki got his rear end handed to him. Poor guy, first he gets lost, then he gets beat up (two times considering what he said to Lune).

Yay...Kusuha has her bitch back. (I will never get tired of making fun of Bullet's characterisation as love interest)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Awwww yeah Fairlions. :getin:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
In fairness to Ratsel, Sleigh needs to face down the truth and sugar-coating it behind friendship-power probably would have lasted as long as it took for Ibis to get into her shiny new mech.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Hunter Noventa posted:

Awwww yeah Fairlions. :getin:

I can not wait till the next stage. :allears:

Also Sleigh is just a total bitch and there is no defending this plotline.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ashram posted:

It seems some has forgotten he is no longer on the bad guys side...
Is it just me or does Sleigh seem like a bit of a waste (character wise). She isn't there as a rival, or for Iblis to look up to. It's just antagonism and arrogance all the way.

Anyway...so Masaki got his rear end handed to him. Poor guy, first he gets lost, then he gets beat up (two times considering what he said to Lune).

Yay...Kusuha has her bitch back. (I will never get tired of making fun of Bullet's characterisation as love interest)

It's something lost in the translation from Alpha 2 to OG2. In Alpha 2, Filio is dead, and it was Ibis fault for loving up a maneuver which caused his death. So her rage at Ibis there stems from yes, Ibis being chosen for the Astelion instead of her... and then promptly responding to that by killing her brother. So yeah, she's a hell of a lot more justified in her hatred, having devoted herself to fulfilling her brothers dream only to be glossed over for Ibis, who took the person she cared most about from her. Character wise, Sleigh is meant to be a reference to Kazumi from Gunbuster. She is the 'Older Sister' figure to Ibis and meant to be the mature and skilled one to Ibis hot blood and guts. In the case of SRW though, they stripped Kazumi of her mentor aspects for Sleigh, so Sleigh mostly just smolders with RAGE and BE THE BEST.

And to be honest, they bring up this thing with Leona and, spoiler warning, Sleigh isn't out of the game yet. Yet she never lives up to the hype. She's certainly not Shu in living up to expectations.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Ibis: Space space gotta go to space. What's your favorite thing about space? (Mine is space)

Anyway, bet Ratsel got some pretty good glares after trying to look cool and screwing up so bad.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 17, 2016

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
I kinda wish Lee had been there instead of Ratsel; I'm pretty sure him yelling at her for being melodramatic would've done more good than whatever Ratsel was trying to accomplish.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onmi posted:

And to be honest, they bring up this thing with Leona and, spoiler warning, Sleigh isn't out of the game yet. Yet she never lives up to the hype. She's certainly not Shu in living up to expectations.

Come on who can

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Ibis has the best determined face.

I said before I wasn't too crash hot on the way it was delivered in terms of the mission gameplay itself, but I that I still really liked all those missions because of how well they introduced how utterly dire the situation was while pushing everyone together. It's a great deal of chaos and confusion, with the heroes fighting not to crush their enemies but to survive them. I also like it cause it comes on the heels of the NDC rising which is fairly reminiscent of the way the DC kicked off in the first game, basically taking the familiarity of it all and screwing around with it while using it as a platform to get everyone together again. This is not a scenario where our enemies are going to stand in line and wait for us to trash one side before focusing on the next one.

I will give the Inspectors this: They do a much better job of being threatening than most antagonist SRW factions. They show up early and kick you out of Neviim then they proceed to take over a bunch of important facilities with their endgame superboss mecha. They don't finish the job, true, but this is partly because they're too busy taking over places to chase you all over the world and partly because they're competing with each other like the arrogant dickheads they are. All this with a staff of five people (and a bajillion drones, yes, but they still only have a handful of command units around so they can't be everywhere at once).

I can buy this In gameplay terms because the Inspector mecha lack the HP Regeneration most SRW bosses get. It makes sense they'd retreat or let you run away when you pile on some damage, if one of them got wrecked they'd be the laughingstock of the group. Most other antagonist factions just show up to cryptically hint at future events from time to time and get their asses kicked a bunch until they make their last stand. When they win, they do it by casting some spirits in a cutscene then blowing you up, even after you beat them effortlessly before that. The Inspectors were doing that better twenty years ago in SRW 3.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

You're kidding, right? Lune has great base skills, great stats, great Will gains, an insane Ace bonus, and a Love bonus by being next to Masaki. Since Cross Smasher doesn't need Will to be fired, she instantly becomes the best Support Attacker in the game, and her Psychoblasters are still ridiculously useful (especially with all her +damage boosts, holy loving poo poo).

If you can't make use of a character who has a base +20% Attacker, +12% Love, +10% Ace Bonus, and natural Level 8 Gunfight (she is literally the most damaging character in the game, able to easily clear 400k damage) on top of a gigantic and strong post-move MAP weapon, being able to equip weapons on her robot, AND having built-in Afterimage that can go up to 70% activations with the FUB.... I really don't know what to loving tell you. Lune's only real downside is that she doesn't have a way to break barriers like all the Combination Attack/Fury pilots can do, but it evens out since her Support Attack abilities are so ridiculous.

Because 20 SP Strike is really loving annoying by the endgame. Yeah, she's good at damage. So are a lot of people who can actually hit things.

Onmi posted:

It's something lost in the translation from Alpha 2 to OG2. In Alpha 2, Filio is dead, and it was Ibis fault for loving up a maneuver which caused his death. So her rage at Ibis there stems from yes, Ibis being chosen for the Astelion instead of her... and then promptly responding to that by killing her brother. So yeah, she's a hell of a lot more justified in her hatred, having devoted herself to fulfilling her brothers dream only to be glossed over for Ibis, who took the person she cared most about from her. Character wise, Sleigh is meant to be a reference to Kazumi from Gunbuster. She is the 'Older Sister' figure to Ibis and meant to be the mature and skilled one to Ibis hot blood and guts. In the case of SRW though, they stripped Kazumi of her mentor aspects for Sleigh, so Sleigh mostly just smolders with RAGE and BE THE BEST.

Correction: Sleigh isn't Kazumi. Tsugumi is Kazumi. Sleigh is Jung. Remember how Jung wanted to pilot Gunbuster but got passed over for Noriko and was really mad about it because Noriko was bad at piloting and Jung was so much better? Meanwhile Kazumi didn't really believe in Noriko either, but she was quieter about it and tried to support Noriko but couldn't quite justify betting everything on this one girl. And Kazumi eventually married Coach, while Jung wanted to be close to him but ended up having to give up.

It's pretty obvious if you look past the hair colors.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 17, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Because 20 SP Strike is really loving annoying by the endgame. Yeah, she's good at damage. So are a lot of people who can actually hit things.

Correction: Sleigh isn't Kazumi. Tsugumi is Kazumi. Sleigh is Jung. Remember how Jung wanted to pilot Gunbuster but got passed over for Noriko and was really mad about it because Noriko was bad at piloting and Jung was so much better? Meanwhile Kazumi didn't really believe in Noriko either, but she was quieter about it and tried to support Noriko but couldn't quite justify betting everything on this one girl. And Kazumi eventually married Coach, while Jung wanted to be close to him but ended up having to give up.

It's pretty obvious if you look past the hair colors.

I mostly said she was Kazumi because Tsugumi isn't a pilot yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is that robot jetting around the battle area with orbital boosters? Like, you point those things right and it goes to space and they're just on all the time?

Because that would be a pretty neat robot gimmick.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Oh, I completely forgot:

What?! Mai survived the destruction of the Judecca? Consider me shocked!

Ok, enough jokes, I am happy they didn't prolong that reveal anymore than necessary. (Though I still like the Alpha 2 version of following events more)

But hey, now that Mai appeared, the 1st anime opening and ending might not be spoilers anymore! Can't wait to share the Obari-ness.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ashram posted:

Oh, I completely forgot:

What?! Mai survived the destruction of the Judecca? Consider me shocked!

Ok, enough jokes, I am happy they didn't prolong that reveal anymore than necessary. (Though I still like the Alpha 2 version of following events more)

But hey, now that Mai appeared, the 1st anime opening and ending might not be spoilers anymore! Can't wait to share the Obari-ness.

To be fair this is only a plot point introduced in OG, in Alpha, Levi just joins, I do think they still break her brainwashing though.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

To be fair this is only a plot point introduced in OG, in Alpha, Levi just joins, I do think they still break her brainwashing though.

As far as I know she actually stays Levi for most of Alpha 2. But at some point she remembers being Mai and then everyone just calls her Mai again. It's just a more refreshing thing then what OG did.

Ashram fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 19, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Actually she drops out of Alpha 2 completely along with the rest of the SRX team, then when she appears in Alpha 3 it's GOOD NEWS EVERYONE SHE'S A MAI NOW and that's it. I prefer this version myself.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Actually she drops out of Alpha 2 completely along with the rest of the SRX team, then when she appears in Alpha 3 it's GOOD NEWS EVERYONE SHE'S A MAI NOW and that's it. I prefer this version myself.

Really? drat, those summaries I read tend to be pretty lovely...

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I don't think she technically survived, if I was reading that correctly, but part of Judecca fell to earth and started regenerating itself.. including the pilot. Dr. Kobyashi found it before it could regen the killer robot part and pull Mai out, much to his surprise.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

legoman727 posted:

I don't think she technically survived, if I was reading that correctly, but part of Judecca fell to earth and started regenerating itself.. including the pilot. Dr. Kobyashi found it before it could regen the killer robot part and pull Mai out, much to his surprise.

Actually septuagent begain recreating judecca from its data and basically started with the command system (ie pilot etc.) first, luckily this included all the drat memories, but this is technically a clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AtomikKrab posted:

Actually septuagent begain recreating judecca from its data and basically started with the command system (ie pilot etc.) first, luckily this included all the drat memories, but this is technically a clone.

It's ok, Viletta's there for her.

• Locked thread