Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

FredMSloniker posted:

Could someone (the OP, but if not him, someone else) add a quick blurb on 'this is who he probably really is' to the character bios we've seen so far?

Can't think of anything for the ATX folks but Ryuusei is pretty much Camille and Tenzan would be Shin SRW's Ryuusei. Aya, I believe, would be Emma and Rai...I'm not sure.

Elzam's also a very clear expy of someone but I'll save that for when it's clearer.

Masaki and Shuu are pretty much everyone of the rival characters that Midorikawa and Koyasu have played together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Brunom1 posted:

Can't think of anything for the ATX folks but Ryuusei is pretty much Camille and Tenzan would be Shin SRW's Ryuusei. Aya, I believe, would be Emma and Rai...I'm not sure.

Elzam's also a very clear expy of someone but I'll save that for when it's clearer.

Masaki and Shuu are pretty much everyone of the rival characters that Midorikawa and Koyasu have played together.

The SRX team is hard to 100% pin down because they're really one series (Getter) with some changed dynamics and pretending to be Gundam.

Ryusei is Benkei in Getter-1, Aya is Michiru stuck in Getter-3, Rai is original-flavor Hayato, Ingram is Go-era Hayato.

e: I can't tell if this is a non-spoiler or way too MUCH of a spoiler.

Anyway, while Masaki has such a long history to be indeterminable, Cybuster itself is for all intents and purposes Dunbine. But that's about it for now; it's still a little early to fully comment on the reference density.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 29, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Katina and Russel. They are so much more useful than what Ryusei gets, Giado and Garnet (Latooni is her own separate thing). I am willing to say that Giado and Garnet are probably the worst pilots you get in OG1/OGs.

Here's a small comparison:
--Katina gets Valor way earlier than everyone else (until 2nd OGs, where she is rebalanced to learn it as her last spirit command like everyone else), coupled with both Attacker (at 130 morale, all attacks do 1.2x damage) and Revenge (at 130 morale all counterattacks do 1.2x damage). Russel has Guard at 15 SP (everyone else who learns Guard has it at 30 or 40 SP), learns Trust, Cheer, Faith, and Rouse, 4 very helpful support commands. Together, these two can work very well off of each other (there's a unit in OG Gaiden that is perfect for them to use as a pair) and can support other pilots, especially Russel with his natural Support Defense and high defense stat.
--Giado and Garnet, by contrast, do not get these perks. While Giado learns Resupply and Garnet learns Rouse, they both learn them as their last spirit command. On top of this, nearly everyone else in the game beats them out in terms of stats and useability. This is especially obvious when the two routes merge and you gain a lot more pilots to use. In short, Giado and Garnet are only useful for the first half of Ryusei's route (and barely, at that), and then just get outpaced by everyone else in the cast.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Brunom1 posted:

...I guess I should have asked for name and series. I haven't actually watched all that much giant robot, and just a name isn't enough for me to look up info. :sweatdrop:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FredMSloniker posted:

...I guess I should have asked for name and series. I haven't actually watched all that much giant robot, and just a name isn't enough for me to look up info. :sweatdrop:

He'd be referring to Zeta Gundam, although Camille's defining characteristic was being angry at everybody, so I wouldn't call it a very good fit myself. The "hotheaded main pilot/cool, collected rear end in a top hat sub-pilot who doesn't get along with him (at first)" archetype pops up a lot in multi-pilot super robot shows like Getter Robo, Dancougar, and Voltes V.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Ah, Katina and Russel. They are so much more useful than what Ryusei gets, Giado and Garnet (Latooni is her own separate thing). I am willing to say that Giado and Garnet are probably the worst pilots you get in OG1/OGs.

I disagree. Garnet is easily the best supporter in OG1 (OGs debatable, due to a mechanic Seyser Koze hasn't talked about yet which might put Russel above her, though I disagree). She gets extremely useful spirit commands, put her in the Wildraubtier (is this even a spoiler? I don't know...), and she's unmatched in throwing support spirits left and right. I'd put her above Russel (apart from very specific situations that basically need the previously-mentioned mechanic), as well as more than one actual offensive pilot who haven't appeared yet so I won't name.

Giado is totally useless though.

Katina's great, and I wish she got her own custom unit. Nonetheless the games are kind to her, as people said the Giganscudo is a good fit for her, as is a certain pair unit (for her and Russel) in OG Gaiden. Definitely a mainstay of my team in OG1, and if I ever bother to complete Gaiden (the second-to-last scenario of that game is a pain in the rear end I swear...) I'd probably restart and stick her to my team for as long as I can.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

The problem with doing this is that some of the references would be huge spoilers, because several originals like to pretend they are one thing then they turn out to be something else entirely. We have already seen many characters who are this.

Rest assured someone will cover the references though, this thread has so much trouble staying off the spoilers that once we clear the official reveals we won't waste a chance to gush about our favorite animes. :japan:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

I disagree. Garnet is easily the best supporter in OG1 (OGs debatable, due to a mechanic Seyser Koze hasn't talked about yet which might put Russel above her, though I disagree). She gets extremely useful spirit commands, put her in the Wildraubtier (is this even a spoiler? I don't know...), and she's unmatched in throwing support spirits left and right. I'd put her above Russel (apart from very specific situations that basically need the previously-mentioned mechanic), as well as more than one actual offensive pilot who haven't appeared yet so I won't name.

Giado is totally useless though.

Katina's great, and I wish she got her own custom unit. Nonetheless the games are kind to her, as people said the Giganscudo is a good fit for her, as is a certain pair unit (for her and Russel) in OG Gaiden. Definitely a mainstay of my team in OG1, and if I ever bother to complete Gaiden (the second-to-last scenario of that game is a pain in the rear end I swear...) I'd probably restart and stick her to my team for as long as I can.

She does get her own Custom unit for a while, the R-Gun, someone else was just using it first.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

GimmickMan posted:

The problem with doing this is that some of the references would be huge spoilers, because several originals like to pretend they are one thing then they turn out to be something else entirely. We have already seen many characters who are this.

Rest assured someone will cover the references though, this thread has so much trouble staying off the spoilers that once we clear the official reveals we won't waste a chance to gush about our favorite animes. :japan:

Personally I'm not a great fan of rushing to pigeonhole every character as really being some other character from a different series, because then the tendency is to view everything they do as "okay, we just had the scene where he met a new lady friend on shore leave, next will obviously be the scene where she turns out to be an experimental test subject wandered away from the lab and they'll fight and then he has to kill her JUST LIKE IT HAPPENED ON GUNDAM XYZ" instead of interpreting events based on what's actually happening.

It sounds silly, but I've actually encountered people who raged about how Banpresto ruined Team TD because it strayed too far from the Gunbuster storyline, for example. :confused:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
For the record Katina is a human analogue of the rocket punch.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Which clearly means Russel is the freeze ray thing--nobody ever cares about him, and if he does something everyone's all "huh? this existed?"

(They always forget the freeze ray. And the missiles.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mister Olympus posted:

Which clearly means Russel is the freeze ray thing--nobody ever cares about him, and if he does something everyone's all "huh? this existed?"

(They always forget the freeze ray. And the missiles.)

But the rockets I remember were also Punch Rockets.

And then Mazinger was a Giant Golden Fist.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Is it too late to ask that you start using the established translations like Cybuster and stop leaving the Gs off the Chinese characters' names (Ring Mao, Eric Wong)? I appreciate the LP and all, but it doesn't do any good when you're being all Mneidengard about it.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Is it too late to ask that you start using the established translations like Cybuster and stop leaving the Gs off the Chinese characters' names (Ring Mao, Eric Wong)? I appreciate the LP and all, but it doesn't do any good when you're being all Mneidengard about it.

Seconding this. And also don't use the absurd official Banpresto translations for poo poo where they inexplicably decide to fill the name with random w's. Because jesus gently caress, man. How the hell do you even get 'Shilogwane?' That's not even them trying to use another language to sound exotic. That's THEIR OWN LANGUAGE.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Boy this sure sounds like a big heaping tankard of 'the gently caress does it matter' brand grog to me!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I knew I liked her for a reason.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

Personally I'm not a great fan of rushing to pigeonhole every character as really being some other character from a different series, because then the tendency is to view everything they do as "okay, we just had the scene where he met a new lady friend on shore leave, next will obviously be the scene where she turns out to be an experimental test subject wandered away from the lab and they'll fight and then he has to kill her JUST LIKE IT HAPPENED ON GUNDAM XYZ" instead of interpreting events based on what's actually happening.

It sounds silly, but I've actually encountered people who raged about how Banpresto ruined Team TD because it strayed too far from the Gunbuster storyline, for example. :confused:

I agree. It is weird that people would rather judge characters based on how they fit preconceptions rather than by what said characters actually do, doubly so for SRW which is known for fixing and improving existing plots. :v:

I do think that seeing some of the parallels let you appreciate some originals in a new light though. It is worth a comment or two at least, like the thing with Irm.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 30, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route: Mission 6

Geneva - EOT Council Headquarters

The face of a man you can trust.

Nibhal Mubhal meets with chairman Karl Schtleseman to receive his explanation for what has happened. The technology found in Meteor-3 enabled the mass-production of high-speed, flight-capable armored modules - yet with the rise of the Divine Crusaders, it seems their own creation has turned on them. For this to have happened right under Schtleseman's nose is... most troubling. Schtleseman asks if this means he's under suspicion. Not at all, Nibhal says, but then there's the matter of how Dr. Zoldark has revealed the existence of their guests to the world - how does he intend to deal with this? Schtleseman scoffs and says that there's no need to worry; the people are fools and will believe any cover story they're offered. :getin:

Karl here was pretty much made for the :frog: emote, and it's a shame that this is his only facial expression.

As for the DCs themselves, they're nothing - the Federation and colonial armies will crush them in short order. Nibhal has heard differently - that the colonies are in fact preparing to throw their support behind the rebels. Schtleseman sourly remarks that he has sharp ears, and to stop pestering him about it; they're the EOT Council, and military matters aren't their concern.

After a moment Nibhal says that he understands and will convey this information to his superiors, then shows himself out.

:frogout:

Schtleseman asks this guy, identified as a senator (or equivalent legislator) for an update on the aftermath of the Antarctica disaster: Coursland is in ruins, the Shirogane is wrecked, and countless personnel are dead or wounded, though Ambassador Gray suffered only minor injuries. Meanwhile, the Federation's attempt at crushing the rebellion before it could begin has been an utter debacle; the assault on the DC base in the Marquesas was wiped out by their new machines, while the colonies' forces have moved to seize control of the Earth's satellite network. Sensing that the Federation leadership will be useless at providing a military solution, the chairman decides to have them focus on suppressing rumors of the aliens. As the senator hastens to deliver his instructions, Schtleseman thinks on his enemies. Bian Zoldark and Maier Branstein hope to undo years of work in negotiating with the aliens - but he won't give up on his plans so easily.

Laker receives word that the Divine Crusaders have seized Wake Island, and are now making their move on Asia - Okinawa and the Chinese installations have already fallen, and it's only a matter of time that the enemies make their way here. The Federation forces seem to be no match for the DCs' marine and land-based carriers and the mobile weapons they carry. Hans suggests that it's time they considered negotiating terms with the enemy? Laker finds this thoroughly ridiculous - if they forsake their duty the civilians will be helpless. In response, Hans points out that the DCs have been targeting only military installations. The commander, however, isn't willing to take Bian Zoldark at his word; this is war, and the rules of engagement can change without warning.

An operator (a new one!) notifies them that the base at Sasebo is under assault and is requesting assistance. Laker orders that PT squads be scrambled to relieve them.

Ingram informs the team of what's going on, adding that Major Kai Kitamura's squad is moving to assist; they've been ordered to stand by and reinforce if needed. Ryusei isn't prepared for this, but their contingent of Personal Troopers is small and they need every able-bodied fighter they have.

Mission 6: The Divine Crusaders Advance

Things evidently haven't gone well; Garnet can't believe that they're the only ones still alive. Giado tells her not to yell in his ear, prompting a short-lived argument about her womanliness (or lack thereof?) Then he needlessly observes that with the enemies using the latest model of fighter, their own machines just can't compete. Latooni says that it's not just the machines that are superior, but the training as well.

Garnet and Giado figure there's nothing to be done, and tell Latooni that they'll hold the enemies while she escapes. When she hesitates, Garnet adds that they're not doing it because she's a child - it's just not right that somebody should lose their life without experiencing love. Latooni says she's not interested in that anyway, which neither takes very well to hearing.

A little further back, Kai and some other dude are the only ones left from the PT unit. Kai gives the generic the same order, telling him to join up with the rearguard - he says while he has a duty to fulfill, the Personal Troopers are too precious to waste needlessly, which ends up being more persuasive than the love argument.

Kai hails the other three next, but Giado preempts him. Oh darn, looks like his commlink is on the fritz, afraid he couldn't hear that withdrawal order, etc - and didn't Kai just get done saying something about how PTs are too precious to lose? Kai confesses that he'd been hoping to get a shot at the new DC machine, but it's nowhere in sight. The remaining fighters resolve to make the enemies bleed, and battle begins.

Objectives. We're free to lose as many people as we want! :v: 4 turns to wipe out the enemies.

There's a total of twelve jets off in the distance, but they'll be a lot closer real soon. Kai is way the hell in the back, so our own jets (one in particular) will be doing most of the heavy lifting on this battle.

Latooni starts out with Scan (which allows you to examine the stats of a unit you haven't engaged yet) and Focus for spirits. In addition to the supports and Gunfight, she has the Genius skill, which we've only seen on Elzam and Rai to date. It is awesome, giving a passive 20% boost to the pilot's hit, evasion, and critical rates.

:eng101: Latooni is a little bit unusual in another respect. SRW's artbooks and official material often include romanizations of pilot names to give a rough (sometimes very rough) approximation of what it's supposed to look like. Latooni's name according to the OG1 material? Латунь. It means "brass" in Russian, which ties into her background that we'll be learning a bit later (as usual). Given that it's technically supposed to be romanized from the Cyrillic, her name is likely meant to be closer to Latun or Latune, but I keep typing the Atlus version by reflex so that's what it's going to be.

Giado and Garnet aren't quite as impressive. He has Accelerate and Spirit, which raises morale, and she has Cheer and Bless (which give another unit double XP and money, respectively, on their next attack.) He's punchier, she's shootier, but notably they both lack Focus despite flying in extremely fragile units and having iffy dodge rates.

And here's Kai way in the back. Like Sanger, he has a full battery of skills already. A new one is Energy Save, which does a percentage reduction on the energy costs of all weapons. He's also slow as molasses (no Accelerate, though he does have Valor already) and will spend most of the mission trudging towards the enemy.

Turn 1, everybody moves, nobody shoots.

Turn 2, I let Latooni open up by moving right into the middle of the enemies. They get a 23% on her normally, and a nice round zero after casting Focus. So I do.

In the original Latooni had Born to Fight for a theme, just like most of the other pilots with no theme of their own. In OG2 there was a new general pilot theme, and Born to Fight became Latooni's theme exclusively. Here she actually has a new theme... which I don't actually like all that much.

She opens up with a crit and one-shots one of the Schwerts. Good start. Garnet's up next.

My kingdom for Focus. If I'd been thinking I would've parked her next to Latooni for her level-2 Friendship bonus, which would've given her 30/90 instead. Fingers crossed...

...And she not only hits, but crits and gets the kill. :golfclap:

I may not like Latooni's new track that much, but Garnet and Giado got a new one as well, and it's awesome. I tend not to use either pilot once I no longer have to, so Beat and Beat ends up becoming Latooni's theme for me after they're benched.

Giado is just a little bit worse at dodging and just a little bit better at hitting things. Let's go for three in a row.

Yep.

If you listen carefully, you can hear Kai's Gespenst saying "I think I can... I think I can..."

Enemy phase, and everybody starts gunning for Latooni. Sure, pick on the kid, guys. She's small and weak and helpless!

Four engagements later... Latooni finally fails to get a critical. And one-shots the target anyway. If the first fight had gone like this the enemy would still be alive due to lower morale, so we lucked out a little bit here.

Who's got the superior planes now? :smug:

Turn 3 rolls around, and the SRX Team finally arrives. Neither Giado nor Garnet have high hopes for the test pilots' ability to help out. Ryusei is stunned by the destruction at the base (trust us, the base is littered with destroyed machines, really), prompting Rai to ask if he's lost his nerve (which he denies). Aya tells them to advance and wipe out the enemies, but has to give a little more prodding before Ryusei responds. ("Ryu, get ahold of yourself! The enemy is right in front of you!") Giado is less than impressed with this display, saying that they could've given them the good toys instead of handing them to a greenhorn like this.

Rai turns on the tough love, saying that it's do-or-die time: if he can't fight, he'd better get out of the mech, because a coward can't help anybody and they'll be better off without it. Ryusei reacts predictably, but Rai tells him that if he has so much anger he should think about what to do with it. He realizes that Rai's right; this battle is just like Antarctica, except that maybe now he can put a stop to it himself.

:eng101:In the original, Rai is more disdainful of Ryusei throughout the mission and its aftermath.

Now that Ryusei's here, losing him is an instant game-over. He's not getting anywhere near the enemy, though.

Kai and Latooni advance. There's still one plane off by itself, so I have Garnet and Giado twin up to be safe and go for the kill.

Being in a twinned with a relationship partner raises the relationship bonus by a level, making their level-2 love bonus a level-3, for a 12% damage boost. However, the secondary attacker on a twin attack suffers a damage penalty, more than counteracting the bonus (not that the enemy had any health left once Giado was done with him anyway).

Enemy phase, and I belatedly remember that I didn't have Kai cast Strike before moving. :doh:

The generic DCs have custom battle quotes as well. Fighting Kai in his Gespenst here, they say things like "That's the one they call Ghost..." or "Time to send this ghost to heaven!" (Kai's unit designation is Ghost 1, although I'm not positive if they're referring to him specifically or just to the Gespenst series in general.)

No problems here. This guy dropped an item...

...and the next one in line parks himself right on the same spot. I'm a little concerned about this, since if Kai misses Enemy #2 he's going to steal the item (and we can't get it back). Telling myself that grunts like these never drop anything good anyway, I decide to risk it.

And it works out.

The last enemy was asleep at the controls when Latooni murdered half his squadron in five seconds. He learns his mistake the hard way. Mastery get! :toot:

The enemies gone, Giado can't figure it out - why didn't they send their new AMs? It's what gave them their massive tech advantage, after all.

Then Ingram shows up in a transport and tells everybody to get a move on; there's a MAPW headed straight for the base, and they have to get out of there now. Ryusei doesn't know what to make of everybody's furious reactions, until Rai informs him that the MAPW is a ranged tactical missile of enough power to completely wipe the Sasebo base off the map - there must be a submarine nearby that launched it. Realizing that they're just going to abandon the base to its fate, Ryusei yells that there must be something they can do. Rai says that as a soldier, obeying the orders he receives is absolute; withdraw, because none of them stand a chance of shooting it down...

"...You least of all."
"You've gotta be kidding me..."
”If we could do anything, we'd have done it already. Now obey the drat order!"

Everybody withdraws except for Ryusei, who rages helplessly for a few seconds before following suit.

The MAPW arrives...

Flies straight to the base...

And detonates.

Kusuha learns of the destruction of Sasebo from the doctor, who also informs him that he won't be assigned to her any longer - due to personnel shortages, he's being transferred to a military position. She thinks that she should help out too in some way; the doctor recalls that she mentioned wanting to be a nurse. Once she leaves, why not give it a try? There's an accelerated program he can recommend her to... though there is one condition.

:eng101: Like the other Kusuha-in-the-hospital scenes, this one is new to the remake, providing a little more setup for future events. I'm not sure what she's still there for though, given that it's been at least a couple weeks since the Burning PT tournament and her injuries weren't supposed to be serious.

At the Far East Base, Aya is offering Ryusei some cold comfort: she understands exactly how he feels, but this is war and---

Ryusei: "There was still a chance..."
Aya: "Huh?"
Ryusei: "If I'd had a shot at the missile... maybe I'd have a 99 percent chance of missing. And maybe I'd get blown up with the base... But there was a 1 percent chance that we could save Sasebo, and we ran away!"
Aya: "Ryu..."

Rai: "And would you stake all our lives on that 1 percent?"
Ryusei: "What?"
Rai: "I thought you were smarter than this.  I guess I gave you too much credit. You charge into things without thinking, you have no grasp of the larger picture... you have no business being a soldier.”
Ryusei: "Are you telling me you've never thought this yourself?"
Rai: "...I face the facts. You should learn to do the same."
Ryusei: "You are so full of it... you're a human, not a drat machine!"

Ryusei hits Rai here. Rai says that Ryusei is talking about things he knows nothing about and slugs him back - which only serves to piss Ryusei off even more, as he starts screaming to come after him with both hands already. Aya starts to intervene, saying something about Rai's hand, but before she can do so Rai sneers and says that one hand was more than enough for Ryusei. That said, he stalks off.

Aya tells Ryusei that they have to put this behind them and pull together, or the Federation bases are going to continue falling like dominoes. Rai is getting desperate too, she says, but this only serves to set him off again. As far as Ryusei's concerned, Rai just wants to act all cool and go on about "soldiers" and "duty" --- as if that's going to fix anything. She starts again to bring up Rai's arm, but Ryusei doesn't care - it's got nothing to do with him. He storms out.

The brass discuss the loss of Sasebo - and with it, control of the entire Kyushu region. Unlike Wake Island, which the Divine Crusaders seized, here they seem intent on crushing all resistance with overwhelming destructive force. Hans observes that they want to teach us a lesson - and that lesson seems to be that in the Federation's current state, it will never be able to resist the Aerogaters. Kai bitterly says that they're charging a high fee for this lesson, and at far too late an hour. Ingram advises him to think of it as the dress rehearsal, then.

The question remains of how to strike back against the DCs, and the only option left is to use the main resource not yet destroyed - the second Space Noah-class battleship. Laker says their top priority now is to plan their counterattack, with this ship at the center of their strategy. It will need a keen tactical mind to command it as well, but Laker has already summoned his candidate to the base: Daitetsu Minase, former captain of the Shirogane.

Thanks to her glorious killing spree, Latooni jumps into the roster at second place.

That's it for now. Next time: you like chicks with big guns, right?

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 31, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Broken Loose posted:

I mentioned already that I'm generally going with the spellings that I type reflexively, since otherwise I'm liable to continue switching back and forth throughout the LP.

I'll put the G on the Chinese names, though.

Gulping Again posted:

Seconding this. And also don't use the absurd official Banpresto translations for poo poo where they inexplicably decide to fill the name with random w's. Because jesus gently caress, man. How the hell do you even get 'Shilogwane?' That's not even them trying to use another language to sound exotic. That's THEIR OWN LANGUAGE.

oh man you just gave me the best idea ever

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Oh, how I love Kai so much...it's such a shame that you don't get to use him much in the Ryusei route (another reason why I always stick with my boy Kyosuke).

That said, it takes a real badass to be so awesome while sticking around with a grunt mech and it's even better that he does so while in his 40s.

Just like Daitetsu's commanding Beard/Pipe combo, Kai's 'stache should immediately show anyone that this is a guy whom you can entrust with a squad straight away.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Brunom1 posted:

Just like Daitetsu's commanding Beard/Pipe combo, Kai's 'stache should immediately show anyone that this is a guy whom you can entrust with a squad straight away.

That reminds me. Daitetsu is 100% Captain Bruno J. Gloval, but is Tetsuya supposed to be anyone in particular?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how Latooni wears her mirror shades under her pilot helmet. I bet she wears them at night, too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The thing I think was a lot different in the GBA version is how much vitriol Rai and Ryusei have for one another at this point, which is defined by Ryuseis idealistic spirit (As much as he knows this is war, the simple fact that they could have saved the base will always hang over him) meeting Rai's jaded experience (The event that cost him his arm, other events.) But what's important is that Ryusei knows where Rai is coming from, and Rai envies Ryusei for his view.

In the GBA translation Rai basically says that Ryu doesn't have a chance of shooting down the missile, and Ryusei's response is "Fine, then YOU do it Mr. Ace Pilot." For anyone who knows Rai's backstory you know why that's a big thing to say. His response, for the record, is not to say that he isn't skilled enough to do it, but that he was ordered to withdraw and he wouldn't even question it.

This is also what leads Ryusei to call him a robot and their fist fight. Which I felt makes a bit more sense. In the end, both pilots wanted to save the base, Ryusei lacked the skill to do so (and knew it) and Rai probably contained the skill to do so but wouldn't go against his orders. This is to both set up Ryusei and Rai's growth, and to highlight exactly what can cause Rai to stop being a soldier who follows orders. Again, this is one of those changes from the GBA to OGs that I'm not sure is better or worse, it's just a different way of approaching similar development.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Brunom1 posted:

Oh, how I love Kai so much...it's such a shame that you don't get to use him much in the Ryusei route (another reason why I always stick with my boy Kyosuke).

That said, it takes a real badass to be so awesome while sticking around with a grunt mech and it's even better that he does so while in his 40s.

And then Kai amps it up ten times in OG2 with his custom grunt mech. Pain in the rear end to get but so worth it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GSD posted:

I like how Latooni wears her mirror shades under her pilot helmet. I bet she wears them at night, too.

The difference is that they're not really mirror shades, they're more "super-shiny anime glasses". Think Gendo Ikari.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Supposedly they're Google Glasses that keep track of combat intelligence for her while she's fighting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KataraniSword posted:

The difference is that they're not really mirror shades, they're more "super-shiny anime glasses". Think Gendo Ikari.

They are actully tech glasses that let her scan stuff she can see. They look shiny in order to hide all of the tech babble that would show up for people looking at her. Sadly this kind of makes her look creepy.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Latooni could kill everyone in her sleep so her glasses are just probably her catching up on her TV shows.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Kai is great. His 'This isn't for kids!' line during one of his attacks is one of my favourite piece of attack dialogue in the game.

When I LPed OG1, I went out of my way to have him revolver stake the last boss to death. THAT's the best ending right there.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Sadly Kai doesn't get that much of a presence in OG1. I believe that in Ryusei's route, he only is around for a couple of stages and never officially joins, while in Kyosuke's route, he becomes a permanent member of the group.

I also recall in the GBA version that his Gespenst was the only one with a range 1-2 Jet Magnum. Not sure if that's still the case for the OGs remake, but the additional range for his punch is a huge blessing and I'm glad that in OG2 it became standard for all the Gespies.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Latooni is the rare child prodigy character that is actually well written and explained beyond "magically just that good." She's one of my favorite characters.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route: Mission 6

Same scene as on Ryusei's route. Also, the guy I mistakenly identified as an aide is actually a senator/MP/equivalent from the Federation - who clearly takes his marching orders from a shady member of an organization with ties to aliens. :mason:

Greg informs Lefina that he'll be transferring command of the ATX Team over to her. They have... a few eccentricities, but their skills are top-notch! She'll be fine.

She's not so sure. But they did come to the rescue earlier, so she'll try to keep an open mind.

Sanger asks about the Federation attack on the Marquesas and gets news we've already heard; to make things worse, the colonies have the Federation by the throat, rendering them blind and deaf by seizing the Columna space station. As much as 90% of the colonial military has risen in revolt. Maier Branstein certainly seems to live up to the stories about him; his family name carries almost mythical significance among those who live in outer space. Sanger thinks that the "great trial" Elzam warned him of has arrived - but as for his own role in the battle to come...

And then Sanger was thwarted yet again by a surprise scene change. :argh:

Some DC soldier welcomes Elzam to Aidoneus Island, promising that the Federation will come nowhere near their headquarters. Elzam admonishes him to remain vigilant, then asks if he could be shown to the kitchen; the men will be delighted to sample the Major's renowned culinary skills.

Major Tempest Hawker comes over, saying that Elzam hasn't changed a bit. He gives an update on their progress in Asia and Japan. Elzam still can't quite get used to the idea of the Divine Crusaders being "his" forces, but they've been dispatched here by the colonial authority, so there's nothing to be done. For his part, Tempest has no problem with killing Feds, and he's surprised that Elzam doesn't feel the same way, given his past. Elzam remains focused on the end goal of preparing humanity for the true threat, as they had done in the Aggressors. Tempest bitterly says that that chapter of his life is over - now they're just helping a dictator to overthrow the Federation.

But enough of that; Tempest is departing soon to lead the assault on Langley in North America. With the help they're receiving in South America, he doesn't expect the campaign will take long at all. Before heading below to meet with Dr. Zoldark, Elzam asks Tempest a question: what is he fighting for?

"Vengeance," he responds.

Back at the base, Kyosuke thinks about the abundance of flying units in the DC arsenal; it'd be better if he still had the Wildraubtier to use against them, but he'll have to manage as best he can with the Alteisen. Katina comes up, wanting to ask about the Alt; like Kyosuke, she thinks it's one of the most ridiculously unwieldy machines she's ever seen. Kyosuke blames the shoulder-mounted claymores, which play merry hell with its handling - on the other hand, those same munitions are the Alt's lifeline (never mind that I haven't used them yet:pseudo:)

"So how'd you end up using it?"
"...If you have something to say, Lieutenant, out with it."
"Why don't you give me that mech?"
"...Huh?"
"I bet I can make better use of it."
"If Command orders it... all right."
"Wait, you're OK with that? You don't have a problem with somebody else taking your machine?"
"Not really."

Then the alarm sounds. Katina immediately drops her interest in the Alt and tells Kyosuke to give her his old Gespenst instead.  He's not the guy who makes those decisions, but if she has the clearance, he doesn't have a problem with it.

Good, she says, because she already painted it her favorite color. :allears:

Mission 6: Silver Fallen Angel

The enemies have torn through Langley's defensive lines even faster than expected.  The group prepares to meet them...

That sure is a red Gespenst.

Katina couldn't be happier with her new PT (check out that face :unsmith:). Excellen ruins her good mood by saying that it works out, since the ATX team doesn't need it any more. Kyosuke belatedly realizes that Excellen hasn't launched; it turns out that Dr. Radom has pulled her aside to make final adjustments for the new prototype, which is being calibrated with her Gespenst's motion data. Katina is gobsmacked that she wasn't even considered for the new model. She shouts down Russell's pleas for reason, saying that the new model's no good if it's not even ready in time for the battle! Apparently the Tesla Drive is still giving them some trouble.

Then the enemy shows up and Katina is distracted by the prospect of killing things. Tempest sees that Langley is deploying prototypes as its last line of defense, and tells his men to destroy the command center and seize the installation. The group is impressed with his mech, which definitely looks like a command model (and which Katina has already marked as her next trophy :black101:).

Greg contacts Sanger with bad news, which he passes on to the crew: the Federation bases in Australia and South America have fallen, leaving the DCs in total control. If they don't defend this base to their dying breath, the war in this hemisphere is as good as lost. Meanwhile, work on the Tesla Drive is still underway, leaving us to do the best we can while down a unit.

Mission objectives. We have to wipe out the enemies while keeping them out of the command center, destroying Tempest's mech within 5 turns for the battle mastery.

And here's the field. The whitish rectangle is the area we're protecting. I really wish OGs had a red/blue overlay for the enemy/allied units to pick them out more easily like in Alpha 2, but no such luck.

Let's start with the advance. Kyosuke, having Accelerate, is able to reach an enemy on the first turn.

:eng101: Here's a difference from the original - a brand new enemy mech! OG1 had the Lion as the rank-and-file unit of the DC army; OGs shakes things up a bit by introducing specialized Lions for different terrain types. In addition to having more health than the basic model, the Landlion has improved performance on the ground, giving it better hit and dodge rates. Luckily, it's not really enough to tip the balance here.

On the other hand, it is enough to survive a hit from the Revolver Stake. Kyosuke miraculously dodges the counter.

Nobody else can reach the enemies yet. Katina is in desperate need of some boosters. as we'll see further into the mission.

One thing about the Lion series is that it's equipped with railguns, which have a whopping 6-space range - greater than what our units can manage at this point. Keep it in mind if you're trying to avoid getting shot at without being able to return fire.

Kyosuke's vaunted luck is able to hold him, though; he only gets hit once, and the Alt being the Alt, he takes relatively minor damage. Also he finishes off the guy he hit last turn.

One of the standard Lions comes for him. These are functionally the same as Tenzan's unit from Mission 4, but with a more tasteful color scheme.

They're also flimsy enough that he can one-shot them.

The jets make their move as well. The first one goes for Katina. Having painted her machine red, it now moves at five three times the speed of a normal Gespenst, so she'll be fine. (Seriously, she dodged the 86%. This mission was crazy for my people dodging things they shouldn't have.) The others all go for Kyosuke and get shot down.

The beginning of Kyosuke's campaign is really good for racking up those kills quickly, since he starts with Accelerate and nobody else does. If it seems odd that I'm favoring him so heavily, he needs 75 kills by mission 26 to get one of the game's spiffier secrets, and later it's not going to be so feasible to have him just slaughter everything himself (mostly because almost everything can outrange the Alt's best weapons).

Turn 2, Katina and Russell double-team the nearby Lion to bring it down. I decide to split my forces up here, with the ATX guys heading for the Landlions and the Octo/Hiryu units going for the standard Lions. Kyosuke and Sanger soften up two of the Landlions while Bullet finishes one off.

Turn 2 enemy phase, and Sanger things to himself that he recognizes the tactics of the enemy leader here: Major Tempest Hawker. He advises the team that the enemy still has an ace in the hole, so be on their guard; when Katina asks how the hell he knows this, he just yells "I SAID BE ON YOUR GUARD!" which shocks her into silence.

Tempest takes a shot at Kyosuke. His Guarlion is the standard DC commander mech, being quite a bit bigger and heavier than the standard units.  He'll stick to his railgun for the moment, instead of using a very nasty attack which Guarlion pilots will use for a big chunk of the game, so we get a little bit of a warm-up with him. In any case, he misses, and he's out of Kyosuke's range.

Kyosuke has enough morale to one-shot the Landlions, which he does (but leaves one at low health for Bullet, who's falling a little behind).

Turn 3. Bullet finishes off Kyosuke's leftovers; Russell and Katina twin up to go after the remaining Lions, who still haven't moved at all.

I have the sneaking suspicion that shooting Tempest down will end the mission, so I just have Sanger punch him in the face and have other people move up.

On the enemy phase he punches Tempest again, leaving him as easy pickings for anybody else.

Turn 4. The two nearest Lions went for Katina from just outside of her worthwhile range, so both are still alive with minimal health. I bring them a little further forward. Katina REALLY needs Accelerate, so I'll probably have to farm her a few kills next mission (she only just hit level 6, putting her a level or two behind the rest of the team.) The twin-unit's combined firepower is juuuust shy of what they need for the kill.

I have the Hiryu fly in to snag a couple easy kills. If the OGs AI were smarter I'd be worried about Tempest gunning for my carrier, but it's not and he won't.

We hold position until Turn 5, at which point Katina/Russell finish off the last of the grunt enemies, leaving only Tempest.

Bullet's still behind in levels, so I have him cast Gain and Strike and then move in to do the honors.

And then as the final insult Bullet gets hit by the kind of attack that Kyosuke and Katina laughed at earlier in the mission, losing half his health. I was actually counting on the Hiryu supporting him here to finish things off, but wasn't thinking; a unit can only support another if it's normally capable of using that unit's terrain. Bullet's landbound, and the Hiryu isn't capable of landing, so no dice. This will give you all sorts of fun when trying to set up firing squads later in the game.

Lefina has Gain as well, so she gets to clean up Bullet's mess.

And she gets two levels' worth of experience out of it, as well as the battle mastery point. :toot: She learns Trust, which heals 2000 HP for any allied unit, and Sean picks up Luck, which doubles the cash earned on the next attack. Super Robot Wars is pretty generous when it comes to catching up people who've fallen behind on levels, since experience scales based on the enemy's level relative to yours. This becomes even more pronounced when you cast Gain, sometimes allowing a lower-level unit to end up at a higher level than a higher-level unit would have. In Alpha Gaiden I had an underleveled Dancougar kill an early-game boss and gain twenty levels' worth of experience. It was another twenty missions before the rest of the team caught up.

Tempest says not to think it's over just because his mech's been wrecked. He's stunned to discover that Sanger is here at the base, but says not to expect any mercy just because of their past. Sanger agrees, saying that the Aggressors' time ended long ago. Sean fills us in (finally!) on who they were - an elite unit of Personal Trooper pilots whose techniques and data formed the basis of modern PT design and warfare. Bullet can't believe that his unit leader is somebody so famous, but neither Sanger nor Tempest seems to hold their former unit in high esteem. Sanger views them mainly as a group that perfects methods of killing, while Tempest holds that the Federation has learned nothing from them - a failing that goes back 16 years, to when the colony attack claimed the lives of his wife and daughter...

"But I will not die... not until you, and all the Federation have shared in their fate!"

Tempest does his retreat-explosion, but before the group can discuss his parting words, Eun reports missiles headed for the base. For once the group doesn't need to be told that they're MAPWs; Tempest's ace in the hole has been revealed. Kyosuke frantically tries to raise Excellen on the comm, yelling for her to get to shelter, but she doesn't respond. Sean knows that at this range, it's far too late to just destroy the missiles in the air. What to do...

Then Excellen launches.

Marion has waived her no-alien-tech policy to make this happen; with the completion of the ground-based Gespenst Mk.III and the aerial Gespenst Mk.II Custom, the ATX Project's goal has been achieved. Excellen is ready to roll in her new machine, since it's another Gespenst after all. For some reason Marion takes exception to this, but there's no time for more banter; the missiles have to be brought down. Destroying them outright is a no-go, but if their propulsion systems can be disabled, causing them to crash before reaching the designated target, they may be able to save the base.

Bullet: "Assault 3, roger!"
Kyosuke: "Assault 4, roger."
Excellen: "Assault 2, roger dodger!"
Marion: "It's all in your hands now, my children..."

I still don't know if she's talking about the pilots or the robots. With Marion you can't really tell.

And for the first time in the game we're given a second objective. We have to bring the missiles (three of them) down below 40% health; destroying them will fail the mission immediately. Most of my guys are in the other corner of the map, so Excellen gets to do the work now.

We now have our second main unit, the Weissritter. The missiles are out of Excellen's starting range, so we don't get to show off that glorious gun quite yet...

I was a little worried at the time that this attack wouldn't put us below 40%, and then I'd be at risk of shooting it down on the second attempt. But it did, so instead the missile "retreats" as soon as we return to the main map.

On the next turn the other two missiles are in range to show off the Weiss' Oxtongue Launcher. It has two modes: E mode, which uses energy, and B mode, which uses ammunition. E mode has a longer range, but also has a sizable blind spot where it can't hit anything.

For the moment, that's not a problem.

And then there was one. "The B stands for 'Brilliant!'"

With that it looks like the fun's finally over for today. Bullet says that Excellen and her new machine really came through. But of course, she says; hasn't anybody ever told him that you can always count on your big sister to show up with a gun and bail you out? Bullet doesn't think he's heard that one before.

Kyosuke asks Sanger about the enemy leader. Sanger tells him not to worry about it; right or not, Tempest has chosen his path, so put a stake in him the next time they meet. Indeed, he tells himself... right or not, it makes little difference.

Back at the base, the crew gets the news about Sasebo's destruction; the SRX machines weren't ready yet, so they couldn't pull off the save the ATX team just made.

The face of a man you can punch.

Tasuku tells Bullet that the maintenance on his Type-TT is done, although Sanger and Kyosuke aren't nearly as conservative with their fighting style and their repairs will take a lot longer. He also hasn't been able to make head or tails of the T-Link system, which is a black box for all intents and purposes. If only he'd passed the aptitude test, he'd be able to pilot a machine with all the cool exotic gadgetry on it too... Bullet asks why he didn't pass, but that's a long, boring story that he's sure Bullet doesn't care about hearing. Katina pops in and ruins it for him, saying that he's got fast fingers and not much else, so the physical exam had him laid up in no time. Tasuku weakly tries to protest that he's a good gambler, but Bullet can't see the connection.

Then Excellen sashays in, announcing that never fear, the silver knight Weissritter is here to save the day! She's enjoying herself immensely in the wake of the latest mission, but Katina isn't having it; immediately she gets in her face and says that if she hadn't painted the Gespenst, she'd be the one piloting the Weissritter, so remember that! Tasuku unwisely comments that this seems like just deserts to him, prompting immediate promises of physical violence, even though he helped her paint it in the first place.

octosquadron.jpg

As usual, Kyosuke sobers up the conversation a bit. In the time it's taken them just to get the Weiss, the DCs have put together an entire mass-produced army of flying AMs. There's no telling what other advantages their enemies' EOT research has given them. It's going to have to be a battle of quality versus quantity, but that's looking like a long shot indeed.

And on that cheerful note, we're done for today. I may be taking a week or so off to play a game about a cuddly teddy bear on a tropical island, not to mention that the updates are getting longer anyway. We shall see...

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 31, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

The jets make their move as well. The first one goes for Katina. Having painted her machine red, it now moves at five times the speed of a normal Gespenst, so she'll be fine.

Three times. Painting an unit red makes you go three times faster, not five.

quote:

And on that cheerful note, we're done for today. I may be taking a week or so off to play a game about a cuddly teddy bear on a tropical island, not to mention that the updates are getting longer anyway. We shall see...

That sounds like a happy game in which no one suffers and nothing goes wrong. On the other hand, it's probably lacking in mecha.

Also seriously, goddamn Octosquad. Can 4th OG have a Katina route just to focus on them? They're great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Octosquad is amazing and full of characters I like. Tasuku completely blows Bullet out of the water hen it comes to the Alpha 1 Original males, and I think he would be my favorite, followed by one we'll meet on Ryusei's route. I uh... was messing around on a playthrough of OG2 because I wanted to play through all the routes on one save file. I wound up... sorta... duplicating the Octo-Squad so I had two Katina/Russel/Tasuku/Yet to join. This was amazing (since it meant a second Duro) but swiftly came to bite me in the rear end when it came to a later mission where two units were joining.

See... the way the game functions with ally units there's a certain number before it's considered topped up and those two units had to deploy on that map and their absence was a lose condition so... Long story short I had to restart the game.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also seriously, goddamn Octosquad. Can 4th OG have a Katina route just to focus on them? They're great.

That's silly, Banpresto can only count to three. If they have to divide 2nd Super Robot Wars OG into five games and make five gaiden games, the series will end with 3rd OG.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It was mostly that initial scene with Katina and Kyosuke that made me start to like her so much when I was playing. She went in fully expecting to acquire the Gespenst through threatening to acquire the Alt, but Kyosuke is just too unflappable. Also all those faces she pulls. I love that lean she does, I think it's supposed to be like the sort of stereotyped way a delinquent or gangster would move in to intimidate someone. I've seen her referred to as the "military delinquent" so it definitely fits.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Blaze Dragon posted:

Three times. Painting an unit red makes you go three times faster, not five.
:eng99:

CmdrKing posted:

That's silly, Banpresto can only count to three. If they have to divide 2nd Super Robot Wars OG into five games and make five gaiden games, the series will end with 3rd OG.

Between the Endless Frontiers and the Lord of Elementals they have six gaiden games already (seven if you count the upcoming LoE F).

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Meaning that at present, accounting for Original Generations being actually two games pretending to be "1st Original Generation", we have ten entries in the trilogy and the third part hasn't even been announced.

... maybe painting video games red makes them count as three time more game than other games?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:allears: I have always envisoned the Wiess as being a gigantic chicken, to go with the Alts obvious beetleness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CmdrKing posted:

Meaning that at present, accounting for Original Generations being actually two games pretending to be "1st Original Generation", we have ten entries in the trilogy and the third part hasn't even been announced.

... maybe painting video games red makes them count as three time more game than other games?

Actually I didn't even count OG Gaiden as one (I mentally have it filed as a mainline game), so that's eight gaiden games total. :psyduck:

• Locked thread