Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Shadow Mirror straight up Metal Gear villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty much.

also god drat you jerks you had to push me to the last post on the page with skull jokes while I was making the update :argh:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Lamia: "All units. You must disarm at once."
Excellen: "Wha!? L-Lamia?"

Kyosuke: "What? Lamia. This isn't the time for joking around."
Lamia: "...There is nothing to explain, Kyosuke Nanbu. Lower your weapons. I will not force you. It is your decision. I am aware that you are not the type to obey such a command. But my Angelg has a self-destruct mechanism powerful enough to destroy not only you, but the Hagane and Hiryu Kai as well."
Lefina: "Wh-what do you mean!?"
Lamia: "I have told you. Do not move. Was I unclear?"

Of some note here is that Lamia's speech impediment abruptly vanishes once this scene begins.

Arado: "M-Miss Lamia, what's going on!? Why are you doing this!?"
Lamia: "These... are my orders."
Arado: "Orders!?"
Rai: "So you were---"

Lamia: "I repeat. Disarm at once. Resist, or attempt to flee, and I will self-destruct."
Lune: "You're bluffing! That'll kill you too, won't it!?"
Lamia: "My mission is my highest priority. Nothing else matters."
Lune: "!!"

Katina: "Lamia, you traitor---"
Lamia: "It is up to you now. Comply and all of your lives are guaranteed. Furthermore, you may continue to act as part of the Shadow Mirrors... nothing need change."
Kyosuke: "Shadow... Mirrors?"

Vindel: "Well done, W17."
Lamia: "Yes, sir..."
Kusuha: "W17? Is... is he talking to you, Lamia!?"
Lamia: "Yes. That is my true name."
Kusuha: "True...?"

Kyosuke: "Who are you? Lamia just mentioned the Shadow Mirrors... is that your outfit?"
Vindel: "Yes. My name is Vindel Mauser. I am the Shadow Mirrors' commander."
Kyosuke: "....."
Vindel: "It's an honor to finally meet you, Kyosuke Nanbu... commander of the Federation's Suppression Squadron, the Beowulves. Although I hear that on this side, there's no such thing. Heh..."
Kyosuke: (Suppression squadron? Me?)

Excellen: "Hey, you jerks! What did you do to Lamia!?"
Lemon: "We haven't done anything. She was with us when she first made contact with you. A spy, in other words..."
Excellen: "...!"
Lemon: (So... that's Excellen. And this is how we finally meet.)
Excellen: (Something's wrong... who is this person?)

Lamia: "....."
Lemon: (But, W17 is in the Angelg? I ordered her to seize the Hagane's bridge. Why did she wait until she was outside? Does she have the situation under control?)

Vindel: "I'd like your response, Lieutenant Colonel Daitetsu Minase. Will you disarm? Or not?"
Daitetsu: "....."

Kenneth: "W-wait a minute! I'm supposed to be the one in command here!"
Vindel: "Major General Kenneth... it looks like your takeover of the command center has succeeded."
Daitetsu: "What?"
Lefina: "T-takeover!?"
Kenneth: "Don't you dare say another word, you---"

Kai: "drat it... we've already lost the base!"
Daitetsu: "Steel 2 to all units! Hold your positions!"
Kai: "Understood..."
Vindel: "A wise decision."
Kyosuke: "Tch... they completely outplayed us. They must have been planning this for a while."

Kyosuke: "Tell me something, Vindel... what's your endgame, here? All this scheming... what's it supposed to accomplish?"
Vindel: "We have one objective... to create an ideal world."
Kyosuke: "Ideal?"
Irm: "That's a flowery way of putting it. You're talking about world domination?"
Vindel: "In a manner of speaking, perhaps. The only one with the right to decide a world's ideals is that world's creator..."
Vindel: "And 'world domination' is the swiftest way to gain that right."

Katina: "Oh, what the hell ever! What kind of ideals are you talking about?"
Vindel: "We seek a world of perpetual strife. Of conflict, unending..."
Masaki: "The hell? Who thinks that would be ideal!?"
Lemon: "We do. War means destruction - and creation will follow in its wake."

Lemon: "Have you ever considered how many of your technological advancements were developed because of war?"
Tsugumi: "Developed... because of war?"
Lemon: "Yes... Take the Tesla Drive, for example. The army's needs called for a design that was smaller, with higher performance..."
Tsugumi: "!"
Lemon: "The EOT research that gave rise to the Huckebein's weapons. The Tronium core that powers SRX. If it weren't for the war, neither would have come to be."
Ryusei: "!"
Lemon: "All the weapons you use are the fruits of war - the very essence of human wisdom."

Ibis: "That... that's not true!"
Tsugumi: "Science is for the betterment of the human race! Human wisdom doesn't exist just to promote war!"
Vindel: "But there has never been growth without war. Human history proves as much."

Lee: "It's as the Colonel says. War gives rise to heroes. And heroes drive out invaders."
Tetsuya: "You... you believe them!?"
Lee: "The Shadow Mirrors will crush the Inspectors, Tetsuya."
Tetsuya: "What!?"
Lee: "That's why I've joined them. And the continued conflict will give rise to power..."

Lee: "...Greater power than what you can imagine."
Tetsuya: "You're going to create a world of conflict for that!? At what price?"
Lee: "The price has already been paid - under the incompetent leadership of those like you and Kenneth."
Tetsuya: "!"

Lee: "The Shadow Mirrors are a true army. Eternally loyal soldiers, willing to give their lives for their mission."

:geno::geno:

:(
Lee: "Without them, we have no hope of defending the Earth."

:eng101: It's probably worth pointing out that while Lamia's sad face was in the original game, it didn't get used nearly as much as it does here.

Kusuha: "But even so, trying to draw out the war is wrong!"
Bullet: "Right! We're not fighting to continue the war! We're fighting to protect people - everyone living on Earth!"
Lee: "Hmph. A good soldier should only worry about their objective. They need to be as reliable as a good weapon."

Arado: "Go to hell! I'm a soldier, not a weapon! I'm not a machine!"
Arado: "Miss Lamia, you know what I mean, don't you!?"

Vindel: "Appealing to W17 will get you nowhere. She's just as Captain Lee described - a puppet, faithfully carrying out her mission."
Arado: "Huh!?"
Kusuha: "A... a puppet!?"

Vindel: "This is your last chance, Captain Minase. Disarm... or die."
Daitetsu: "....."
Tetsuya: "Captain...!"

Daitetsu: "What he says is true... the human race has always grown through adversity."
Vindel: "....."
Daitetsu: "But somebody who views war only in terms of loss and gain, without regard for meaning or consequence, has no place in making judgments about its value!"

Lamia: "...Exactly."

Lamia moves next to the Shadow Mirror leaders.
Vindel: "Hm!?"
Lemon: "W17!? What are you doing!?"
Lamia: "Master Vindel, Mistress Lemon..."

There's a metallic sound as Lamia tackles both of her masters.
Vindel: "What are you trying to accomplish!?"
Lamia: "Code ATA - Ash to Ash - execute!"
Lemon: "You're going to... no, wait, W17!"

Lamia: "We don't belong here. We should never have come to this side. A world of unending war already existed, on the other side. Our world. But this world... this world is one that rejects war."

Lamia: "A construct like me, a child born for war, has no right to... no. There is no place for me here!"

Lemon: "W17! Were you planning this from the beginning!?"
Vindel: "Rgh... useless doll! You're attacking your..."
Lamia: "On the other side it would be unthinkable. But here... here, I have learned!"

Vindel: "W15, W16! Tear the Angelg apart!"
Echidna: "Understood."
Wodan: "This will not be allowed, W17! None may turn on their creators!"
Lamia: "W15... you still have the mind of a puppet. You could not have predicted this. That was your mistake!"

Lemon: "You've progressed to the next stage... I was right. You truly are... my masterpiece..."
Lamia: "No, I am defective. I betray my comrades, I turn upon my own creators... do I not?"

Lamia: "I am sorry, Mistress Lemon... I---"
Lemon: "W17!"

Excellen: "L-Lamia!"
Viletta: "She self-destructed..."
Arado: "N-No way... Ms. Lamia, you didn't..."
Kyosuke: "She... protected us?"
Mai: (Why... why would she do that?)

Echidna: "Are you all right? Master Vindel, Mistress Lemon...!"
Lemon: "...I'm fine. I was able to get clear in time."
Lemon: (I had suspicions, but... that things would come to this?)

Lemon: "A-anyway, Vindel... what about the Zwei!?"
Vindel: "Ngh... the frame is intact, but System XN is offline. I can't fight like this! drat that doll..."
Lemon: "We'd better go, Vindel. If System XN is damaged, we can't risk making it worse."
Vindel: "I'm aware of that! Lee, open the hatch. I'm coming in."
Lee: "Sir."

Vindel moves to the Shirogane.
Vindel: "W15, W16, deal with them."
Wodan: "Acknowledged."

Lemon: "Huh? That's..." (...The Angelg!?)

Vindel: "Lemon, what are you doing? We're retreating!"
Lemon: "There... got it. All right, I'm coming."

Vindel: "This is a setback... but this is not the end!"

Katina: "poo poo, they're leaving!?"
Lemon: "That's all for now. This was a surprise, but if there's a little more struggle on the way to our goals, so much the better."
Excellen: "...!"
Lemon: (I'll see you again, Excellen...)

Lee: "Engage ASRS! Crash dive!"

Kyosuke: "Tch... you're not getting away!"
Wodan: "Kyosuke Nanbu... you will not interfere."
Echidna: "We will be your opponents."
Kyosuke: "If you're standing in the way, I'll just go through you!"

Kai: "All units, spread out and engage!"

:eng101: For the most part this scene was the same as the original, but it diverges pretty heavily at the end - specifically, Lamia and Lemon's dialogue. The general tone is different overall, but it can best be summarized with the Atlus version of Lamia's last words:

Lemon: "Why, W17!? You were my masterpiece!"
Lamia: "Perhaps you made me too well!" :black101:

Lamia may not be quite as badass in the remake, but on the other hand, it puts some effort into developing Lemon by making her sort of a mother figure for Lamia (and making Lamia into a daughter figure for her), which was largely absent in the original.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Makes them probably the best villain faction in the game just for that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Vindel's idea of a utopia is so hilariously dumb. I guess it can be seen as some kind of commentary on how his world turned out, but at the same time, Vindel never looks beyond the short term goals (war begins, society and technology progresses and grows as a result) and ends up looking like a insane lunatic spouting gibberish. I mean, eventually such a world would run out of physical opponents to fight and suddenly devolve into wars against the abstract and nonsensical, like a war on quantum physics or a war on seasonal allergies. How exactly does Vindel plan on spinning things like that into something worth while to sell to masses? MonsterEnvy put it best, you could slot Vindel into a Metal Gear game and change very little about his character, outside of maybe giving him a more realistic hair color.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
He's not 100% wrong. Only about 95%. Technology has been driven forward because governments are more willing to foot big R&D bills when there's a military application. Although the same thing is true of the space program. But a modern consumer economy will eventually collapse if a large portion of its industry has to be retooled for war for an extended period of time. Vindel doesn't sound like he's advocating for a Gundam 00-style multiple proxy war. He wants war on a scale that would even tax large nations.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i think what's going on is a sort of 1984 kinda thing he's thinking of, that's the sort of setup that would be ideal. it is a common belief that humanity always needs an enemy to prosper, and as such it would be the duty of the shadow mirror to maintain a divided but secretly unified humanity engaged in a constant forever war that serves no purpose but to manipulate the populace. it doesn't matter if they're not enemies for valid reasons, or if a national aim is always reversed to maintain the political status quo, it would keep things stable and the people motivated to put all their efforts towards their team to defeat the other team, even if the game is rigged

it probably isn't as well thought out as it ought to be but that seems like the angle they were going for. of course in this game's setup it's like 'this isn't really a good time we're kind of being destroyed by aliens maybe you would've been onto something in the rare period of time we're not being destroyed by aliens, which is never'

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

He's not 100% wrong. Only about 95%. Technology has been driven forward because governments are more willing to foot big R&D bills when there's a military application. Although the same thing is true of the space program. But a modern consumer economy will eventually collapse if a large portion of its industry has to be retooled for war for an extended period of time. Vindel doesn't sound like he's advocating for a Gundam 00-style multiple proxy war. He wants war on a scale that would even tax large nations.
And that's what makes Vindel stand out so much amongst the villains: there's a layer of truth to his words that even the game itself acknowledges. His beliefs are built around a bunch of observations that are truthful, but only to an extent. Where his ideas begin to lose credibility and standing is when he wants to apply these beliefs to a functioning society. It's not just retooling the economy for war, Vindel wants his constant war ideology applied to everything. Every part of society would be adapted to fit a war-like mentality in order to ensure growth and stave off negative things like corruption. Which leads back to the problem: no modern society can support such an outlook because everything would suffer as a consequence of the constant state of war. Real estate would be in the shitter because buildings and infrastructure would be in ruins due to combat operations, and have little time and resources dedicated to repairs and maintenance. Any growths in technology and/or science (one of the key things Vindel wants to see come out of this) could be instantly wiped out because of something like a rouge artillery shell killing all members of the project and destroying all data.

It says something about the amount of deep thought Vindel put into his plan (almost none) when the problems with it are instantly visible if you stop for a minute and think about them. But at the same time, he's a terrifying villain because of how committed he is to seeing this through. Vindel would rather break off from the organization he's been supporting in the middle of their own campaign just to ensure his plans succeed.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The big punchline is that Vindel's vision works if you have a way to jump from a war-exhausted world to a fresh one to start new wars and begin the cycle again. Of course, between Inspector warp technology, Aerogator gravity manipulation, Einst dimension-warping, and whatever System XN is....

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It works assuming his own forces don't get wrecked by picking fights wherever they go.

And it ignores the problems of the worlds he leaves behind, which are now devastated by war.

But I guess that's working as designed in a sense.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Incidentally, Vindel's vision is only original in the sense that he's willing to cause wars to keep society organized: the idea of applying war time urgency to all aspects of society dates at least back to the turn of/early 20th century, and you can see elements of it in communism, fascism, and the The Marshall Plan (which itself spawned The New Deal, somewhat ironically).

The short of it: the idea doesn't work, because people aren't stupid good puppets. If something doesn't seem important (say, building 1000 trucks because that's what the bureaucrats ordered), people slack off, cut corners, embezzle, and just generally do sub-par work. If their work *does* seem important, they can use that as leverage to score concessions by otherwise refusing to work, or even launch a rebellion if their demands aren't met. After all, what does it matter to them if a war is lost, if only the person giving the orders is changed? It literally isn't the worker's problem.

But you can get around that by using (or making workers into) slaves, right? Sometimes, but slaves are poo poo at developing new things, since their main priorities involve obedience, not excellence. That isn't a problem if society doesn't come up against someone superior...but eventually, it will, and when it does, that's when it loses: either against a small number of people/weapons taking out the society's much larger number, or the society itself imploding under the strain of a superior culture (if a society can't give people what they want, they'll find one that will).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

At least we have villains with a solid motivation, now, however fatally flawed it may be.

Before now, we had the Einst being completely and utterly alien in motive, the Neo DCs being essentially "no, YOU shut the gently caress up, DAD", the Inspectors/Guests just standing there and smirking like some sort of half-baked DBZ villains, and a few rogue agents that are just moustache-twirlingly evil just for the sake of :moreevil: (see: Archibald, the old prune in charge of the School). The Shadow Mirror is the first (and arguably only) faction of the game that actually seems to provide conflict in the sense of making characters consider their actions and question their own motives.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Who doesn't love the Metal Gear villains from the counterverse? :allears:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KataraniSword posted:

At least we have villains with a solid motivation, now, however fatally flawed it may be.

Before now, we had the Einst being completely and utterly alien in motive, the Neo DCs being essentially "no, YOU shut the gently caress up, DAD", the Inspectors/Guests just standing there and smirking like some sort of half-baked DBZ villains, and a few rogue agents that are just moustache-twirlingly evil just for the sake of :moreevil: (see: Archibald, the old prune in charge of the School). The Shadow Mirror is the first (and arguably only) faction of the game that actually seems to provide conflict in the sense of making characters consider their actions and question their own motives.

You forgot about Graien, who from what I can tell has a motivation that is basically just wanting bigger guns for the military.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GilliamYaeger posted:

You forgot about Graien, who from what I can tell has a motivation that is basically just wanting bigger guns for the military.

I dunno, from what I understood, Graien's point is pretty understandable: the current goverment is slow and attempts for defensive action or outright peaceful negotiation in the sight of alien overlords who have superior technology, clear dislike or apathy towards humanity, greater technology and are more than willing to use said technology to destroy anyone who opposes them, and whose goal is very clearly nothing good for humanity regardless of which aliens we're talking about (Aerogaters, Inspectors, etc).

While a military coup, especially a worldwide one, is a bit extreme, the Graien faction does rise an actual point there: they need to make a sword to slay Earth's enemies, not a shield to protect themselves. It's similar to the NDCs, so I'm not surprised they end up working together. Only Graien actually used political maneuvering instead of just trying bigger guns and ended up succeeding.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

So you're saying Graien is Bian, but effective?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I dunno, from what I understood, Graien's point is pretty understandable: the current goverment is slow and attempts for defensive action or outright peaceful negotiation in the sight of alien overlords who have superior technology, clear dislike or apathy towards humanity, greater technology and are more than willing to use said technology to destroy anyone who opposes them, and whose goal is very clearly nothing good for humanity regardless of which aliens we're talking about (Aerogaters, Inspectors, etc).

While a military coup, especially a worldwide one, is a bit extreme, the Graien faction does rise an actual point there: they need to make a sword to slay Earth's enemies, not a shield to protect themselves. It's similar to the NDCs, so I'm not surprised they end up working together. Only Graien actually used political maneuvering instead of just trying bigger guns and ended up succeeding.

Some kind of... Gaia... Saber?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not only that, but it's safe to assume that Graien was a lower-ranked politician during the previous administration and thus knew (or sort of knew) that Karl was planning on selling out the Earth to aliens with superior technology, all under the guise of peaceful negotiations. And during that time, Graien watched as the Steel Dragons managed to fight off the Divine Crusaders and the Aerogators, and all Karl did was sabotage their efforts via political connections rather than give them full government support. Now Brian Midcrid's administration comes in while Graien climbs up the political ladder to his current spot...only to see Brian resorting to the same tactics his predecessor did. The major difference, which Brian has brought up, is that he's doing these negotiations to legitimately save Earth because the planet is so taxed and drained of resources from the DC War and the L5 Campaign. And yet, I think that Graien knows deep down that Brian does have the best interests for the Earth in mind. Unfortunately, Graien is so furious that he's seeing history repeat itself that he feels it is necessary to launch a coup. One can assume that he also probably thinks it is possible that Brian could become corrupt like Karl was and wants to stop that because Graien has seen this scenario played out barely a year earlier.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I really do love this mission, it's the turnaround point for the game and afterwards everything just becomes so very satisfying.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AradoBalanga posted:

Not only that, but it's safe to assume that Graien was a lower-ranked politician during the previous administration and thus knew (or sort of knew) that Karl was planning on selling out the Earth to aliens with superior technology, all under the guise of peaceful negotiations. And during that time, Graien watched as the Steel Dragons managed to fight off the Divine Crusaders and the Aerogators, and all Karl did was sabotage their efforts via political connections rather than give them full government support. Now Brian Midcrid's administration comes in while Graien climbs up the political ladder to his current spot...only to see Brian resorting to the same tactics his predecessor did. The major difference, which Brian has brought up, is that he's doing these negotiations to legitimately save Earth because the planet is so taxed and drained of resources from the DC War and the L5 Campaign. And yet, I think that Graien knows deep down that Brian does have the best interests for the Earth in mind. Unfortunately, Graien is so furious that he's seeing history repeat itself that he feels it is necessary to launch a coup. One can assume that he also probably thinks it is possible that Brian could become corrupt like Karl was and wants to stop that because Graien has seen this scenario played out barely a year earlier.

Yeah, the difference between a Graien and say... a Jamitov whom he is loosely based on, is Graien legitimately isn't doing this because he wants to be President, he's doing this because he thinks that the Earth needs someone to knuckle down and not prepare for negotiations, but prepare for getting a military force like the Steel Dragons (but not the Steel Dragons since no one loving respects them) so they can fight back.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So. The government's being overthrown, our base was hijacked right under our noses, and Lee's openly working for Outer Heaven the Shadow Mirrors.

also lamia died but you wouldn't know it from the conversation in the thread, you heartless jerks :mad:

Nothing too exciting in the objectives. The battle mastery requires us to take out everyone except Echidna and Wodan within three turns, which sounds like it's a bit daunting but really isn't.

We're up against some Fylgias and Randgriths in the front, some Gespensts right behind them, and some R-Eins way in the back. Also the Rathgrith and Thrudgelmir in the middle, but we'll be ignoring them. (If we took out either one within the three turns, the mission would actually end right there and we'd lose the mastery. Go figure.)

First things first, SRX it up.

Then we split up into two groups and have at it.

Ryusei gets to show off a bit...

But for the most part we just spend turn 1 moving. For most of the crew it's no trouble, but I stuck Russell in the Giganscudo while forgetting that he didn't have Accelerate. With no boosters he's stuck moving five squares per turn. Oops.

The Gespies move up on the enemy phase to help their brethren, mostly going after Rio and Ryusei on the right, and exclusively going after Viletta on the left. She's going to be fine, being able to use the base for cover. Meanwhile, Wodan has a zero percent hitrate versus Excellen. :laugh:

Excellen: "I guess that solves one mystery. The shadows lurking behind the Neue DCs would be you guys, wouldn't they?"
Wodan: "Correct."
Excellen: "But Lamia was nothing like you. She gave up her life... for us..."
Wodan: "Indeed. I am nothing like W17."
Excellen: "!"
Wodan: "I am the Sword of Magus. With my blade, I guard Magus, and the Shadow Mirrors' ideals!"

If you're so proud of your blade, stop throwing drills at me. :colbert:

There's actually very little to say about this mission, and things go quite smoothly overall. On Turn 2 you can just sort of roll over the Gespies and Randgriths; you have the base for defensive terrain, and since the time limit is so short, there's no need to conserve your SP.

The one risk is that the R-Eins won't play nice and then end up costing you the mastery. They stay where they are on the first turn, so if you move too far forward on the second turn they'll just blast away at you from a distance, forcing you to go get them on the final turn.

This one goes for Kusuha, which is no real problem...

...Except that she completely whiffs on her counterattack. The R-Eins all have W-Series for pilots, which can make it annoying to hit them. In this particular case I just neglected to have Kusuha cast Focus, which left her with a 50/50 hitrate.

At least everybody else comes in nice and close. The R-Eins start moving on Turn 2, so provided that you keep your distance, they'll be easy to deal with on the last turn.

As for that one other jerk, Kyosuke gives him a Valor-powered stake to the groin.

And you guys were afraid that she'd be in trouble without Latooni. :sparkles:

Russell did eventually get to punch one guy. Of course, he still needed Excellen to clean up. :doh:

And before too long, the field is clear. :toot:

Echidna: "...W15, the Shirogane has ordered us to withdraw."
Wodan: "Understood."

Kyosuke: (Lamia... what were you thinking? Spying on us, or turning on them... which were you, in the end?)

Kenneth: "drat you, Vindel, you'll pay for treating me like this! Eternal conflict? An ideal world? What kind of fool starts babbling about that now? You could have ruined everything!"

Kenneth: "Daitetsu Minase! After the Shirogane, now!"
Daitetsu: "...Why are you giving orders instead of Commander Laker?"
Kenneth: "By orders from HQ, I'm in command of the Far East Base now!"
Daitetsu: "What!?"
Lefina: "What? But... we weren't notified of this, General!"
Kenneth: "Confirm it with HQ yourself if you don't believe me!"

Sean: (So... it's as we suspected.)
Daitetsu: (Discord in the chain of command... this situation could hardly get worse.)
Kenneth: "What are you waiting for!? Go catch the Shirogane!"
Daitetsu: (...And Laker is your hostage.)

Daitetsu: "Very well. The Hagane and Hiryu Kai will pursue the Shirogane."

A few bits of dialogue that we missed:

quote:

Excellen: "I guess you've been keeping tabs on us for a while now."
Echidna: "....."
Excellen: "But after all the time you spent observing us... you never knew what was going on in Lamia's heart. Did you?"
Echidna: "W17 had no heart. She was merely malfunctioning."
Excellen: "...What?"
Echidna: "Do not mistake me for W17. I have no doubts in my orders... I am not defective."

quote:

Kyosuke: "So to create your world of eternal struggle, you sent Lamia to be my subordinate. And you thought you could bring us into the Shadow Mirrors?"
Wodan: "...Indeed."
Kyosuke: "It doesn't look like Lamia took your ideals to heart. Maybe Vindel and the Shadow Mirrors aren't on such firm ground after all."
Wodan: "The Colonel's resolve will not waver due to W17's petty rebellion! Nor will my mission!"
Kyosuke: "Your mission? Is that why you look like Major Zonvolt?"
Wodan: "...I will cut down all enemies in my path. Not for the Shadow Mirrors, but to become the true Sword of Magus."
Kyosuke: "The... true sword?"

quote:

Masaki: "So the 'shadow' Shu warned me about was you assholes!"
Wodan: "Shadow... an odd way to put it. But the time has come for shadows to see the light of day!"

:pseudo: Shu referred to 'shadows' using the Japanese word kage, while "Shadow Mirror" is always in English in the Japanese script.

We swapped everybody into different machines and things on this mission, but rather than having a billion screenshots, I'll try doing a highlights reel of the more awesome moments instead:

Video

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Seyser Koze posted:

also lamia died but you wouldn't know it from the conversation in the thread, you heartless jerks :mad:

If anyone seriously believes she's dead after Lemon nabbed her mech then I've got a bridge to sell them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So I have a mechanics question: considering the explanation for how the fairlions work, do they have a thing where after they both reach a certain morale the wink system activates, and both units use latooni's stats while getting shine's foresight?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Droyer posted:

So I have a mechanics question: considering the explanation for how the fairlions work, do they have a thing where after they both reach a certain morale the wink system activates, and both units use latooni's stats while getting shine's foresight?

They do not. But Shine does have the Synchronize twin spirit, which sets each member of the twin's stats to the higher number for one turn. This basically does the same thing.

Watching that video...man, it is so weird not hearing the "Keito ragouken!" when the kanji appear. Arado what are you doing you're late

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

When I first played GBA OG2 I didn't upgrade the Angelg because I was afraid Lamia would betray me and I would lose the money. That's my 2 cents on her death. RIP Lamia.

In SRW Advance, this event has a crossover with Dragonar and (spoilers because it'll be in the MX LP I guess) Lamia/Axel tell Kaine that he must fight your team because Giganos is holding his mother hostage. So you have two of your best units, including your protagonist, leaving you at the same time. Oddly enough, the Shadow Mirrors don't get too involved with the Barton Foundation in Advance, even though you'd think their goals align well enough. Funny bit of Trivia: The Shadow Mirrors in Advance are so good at scheming and making mayhem happen that Butcher the Killer takes orders from Vindel.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GilliamYaeger posted:

If anyone seriously believes she's dead after Lemon nabbed her mech then I've got a bridge to sell them.

Yeah, she just self-destructed. Anyone who's watched Gundam Wing could tell you that's totally something you can walk away from, kind of like stubbing your toe.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, she just self-destructed. Anyone who's watched Gundam Wing could tell you that's totally something you can walk away from, kind of like stubbing your toe.

Well, she also is a robot that can, if you believe the anime, bend steel like it's puddy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ashram posted:

Well, she also is a robot that can, if you believe the anime, bend steel like it's puddy.

She can take punches from Domon Kasshu no problem.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

And ones from Kazuya Ryuzaki as well!

Shame about that steel-reinforced wall, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr Pepper posted:

Lamia:
Tougher than a skyscraper.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

I think you're making that up. I'm pretty sure this "died" you speak of isn't a real thing. Sure, people eventually stop showing up after you've blown them to pieces enough times, but they're doubtless still around somewhere.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Paris

Gunfire erupts at the President's office. Brian's aide warns him to flee, but he calmly tells the man that they'll be surrendering quietly. This means that his role in the game is over - and that this is no time for continued infighting.

Soldier: "Drop your weapons! Hands in the air!"
Brian: "Hm. Unexpectedly crude methods, for the Wizard of Politics... he must think he's out of time."
Soldier: "....."

Brian: (What we needed now was not the shield of Aegis, but the scythe of Harpe. But that scythe is being held by the reaper. Either way, it won't be long now... Graien Grusman.)

-----

In the Hagane's briefing room, Katina fumes over discovering Lamia's true colors. How much information could she have passed to the enemy already? Russell weakly tries to point out that Lamia disobeyed their orders in the end, but as far as Katina's concerned that could all just be part of the act.

Kusuha: "Then if that's true... why did she do it? Why did she help us?"
Katina: "That's because... yeah. She did, didn't she..."
Excellen: "By now, Lamia wasn't our enemy. Otherwise, she wouldn't have... done that to herself... for us."

:eng101: The original doesn't have Katina being forced to acknowledge Lamia's sacrifice.

Katina: "But even then, we can't know what was going on in Lamia's head. And besides, there could be other spies."
Russell: "Others!?"
Katina: "Yeah. Like that new girl, Mai."
Radha: "!"
Katina: "First I thought it was just coincidence that she reminded me of Levi Tolar. But now..."
Russell: "isn't she Captain Aya's sister? How can you say that!?"

Reluctantly, Kyosuke thinks that Katina may have a point - back when we fought Judecca, Aya definitely wasn't herself. Radha thinks that they'll have to confirm things with her.

-----

In the hangar, another argument is going on, with Masaki furious with himself over not getting Shu's hint sooner. Bullet refuses to hear any talk of Lamia being an enemy, but Rio is convinced of the opposite. They checked the Angelg's wreckage, after all, and its cockpit block was gone! Why else would the Shadow Mirrors have taken it with them?

Things get heated enough that Irm has to step in and tell them to cool their heads; they're pursuing the Shirogane now, so they'll have more information soon enough. Bullet tentatively asks what Irm thinks about Lamia, but his response is curt: if she's the enemy, they'll have to defeat her. When Bullet reacts, Irm tells him to look at the Shadow Mirrors again - their strange weapons, their use of warp technology, the man who looks just like Sanger... if anything, they may be even more dangerous than the Inspectors.

At any rate, they'll have answers soon - about the Shadow Mirrors, and about Lamia.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 7, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

KataraniSword posted:

It hurts like hell!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Surely they recovered Lamia's cockpit to give her a proper burial.

So much camaraderie for this dead character.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
First the tragic death of Elzam between games, now Lamia...truly heart-breaking.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

CaptainRat posted:

First the tragic death of Elzam between games, now Lamia...truly heart-breaking.

This is definitely a series that's not afraid to kill anyone off.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 34 - all slots filled

Current roster:
R-1 (Ryusei)
R-2 Powered (Rai)
R-3 Powered (Aya)
R-GUN Powered (Viletta)
??? (Mai)
Wildwurger (Arado)
Fairlion S (Latooni)
Huckebein Mk. III (Leona)
AM Gunner (Tasuku)
Fairlion G (Shine)
Gan-Duro (Radha)
Valsione (Lune, w/Shishioh Blade)
Ibis (Astelion)
Grungust Type-2 (Rio)
Gespenst Mk. II (Kai)
Alteisen (Excellen)

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 24, 2016

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Does the Mk-III Gunner require a psychic pilot? If not, let's have Katina in the Mk-III and Russell in the AM Gunner. If it does, let's have Leona in the Mk-III and Tasuku in the Gunner instead.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Let's send Shine and the Fairlion G out to support Latooni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Son Ryo posted:

Does the Mk-III Gunner require a psychic pilot? If not, let's have Katina in the Mk-III and Russell in the AM Gunner. If it does, let's have Leona in the Mk-III and Tasuku in the Gunner instead.

Like the Boxer, it needs a TKer to use its strongest weapon, so that's Leona and Tasuku.

• Locked thread