Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yay, OGs! I've played the GBA versions and heard about the differences in the remake, but I've never seen them, so I'm definitely watching this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

While Atlus USA did a good localization job....they dropped the ball on one character we'll meet in Ryusei's route first. Like, holy poo poo, did they drop the ball on localizing this character.

To be fair, that is a REALLY EASY mistake to make. I'm more confused at Banpresto than AtlusUSA, honestly.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TheLastRoboKy posted:

How could you not trust Ingram? He has such beautiful hair.

Exactly! I mean, a suspicious pretty boy in a piece of Japanese fiction? Those are always trustworthy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

The real difficulty with Impact is finding the motivation to finish it.

Yeah, Impact was a remake of the whole Compact 2 trilogy, and it shows. It is very clearly three game lengths long.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

She reminds me of someone I knew in real life and they were very punchable. She might be endearing as a character but once you had real experience with this type of attitude it just becomes irritating.
Probably just me though.

Eh, I can understand that. She's really funny, especially when you put her in other mechs, but her constantly making innuendos in dialogue scenes can get really annoying.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

legoman727 posted:

I forget, how soon till we get to the best character in OG1? 3 chapters or so?

She shows up on Ryusei chapter 6.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Glazius posted:

So something I just kind of thought up - is the plot here related to the characters' original appearances in other SRW games, or have they written an entirely new one?

They use the plots from the other SRW games, too. OG1 is basically Alpha 1.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

You can say that about 90% of OG mechs and their upgrades though.

Hey, I like the Duro!!

...and at least it's not the J upgrades. They don't look bad in the full sized artwork but in those tiny sprites UGH.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rorahusky posted:

I am kind of meh about Bullet myself. He's a fine character and all, but out of the enormous cast of Original Generations, he is a little on the bland side, most notiably known for screaming out KUSUHAAAAAAAAAA all the time. Which they even lampshade in the OVA.

Bullet is my least favorite of the alpha originals in OG. He's not interesting and he's not funny. He's basically there for Excellen to be Excellen at.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tempestas Leo posted:

Well to be fair is was the other way around in Alpha and besides Kusuha CLEARLY overshadows him in terms of mechs I mean RyuKoOh is just amazing.

Yeah, it was the other way around, that's the problem. The entire point of Kusuha and Bullet is that you would think that Bullet is the hot-blooded super robot pilot and Kusuha is his damsel in distress love interest, but it's the other way around. Reversing that kinda defeats the purpose of the characters.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair Ryuusei's ride is pretty drat lackluster... on its own.

Iunno, I like the not-Zeta.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Uhh...unless I'm mistaken, isn't Excellen only about a year or two older than Tenzan? He doesn't exactly qualify as "the younger generation" from her standpoint.

If you think that Excellen is going to let facts get in the way of her jokes, you need to learn a lot.

Also, Tenzan certainly acts much younger than he is.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Shaezerus posted:

I'm still hoping for some sort of PTX Team prequel so all the other F/Final characters can finally re-emerge from obscurity, though I know it'll never happen. :smith:

Currently playing through F and I second this. Pat's just amazingly hotblooded.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

In my imagination, Midorikawa Hikaru hovers over everyone's shoulder at Banpresto at all times, giving his input on everything from unit placement to sound mixing to just how loud you need to scream "Jet Magnum". It explains a lot to me.

One of these days, Green River Light Voice is just going to stop voice acting so he can get a job at Banpresto, and every SRW game from then onwards has all of his characters in them. Even if they don't have the rest of the series.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pooncha posted:

It's a shame Shu went for his current name. I'd totally dig a Professor Gran McSword. :black101:

I feel that Midorikawa growling out 'CHRISTOPH GRAN MCSWORD!' in his Masaki voice would be the best thing in all of ever.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Seyser Koze posted:

I have met actual Indian women who look and dress like her, minus the yoga. It's not like she's supposed to be an American Indian and they had her going around in face paint and a feather headdress.

I think the fact that her personality appears to be 'meditation and yoga' is more stereotypical.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wounded Land posted:

Nope, the "dancing". is still completely stupid-looking.

That is the best attack because it is entirely the stupidest-looking thing in the game, though most of the combination attacks are kinda stupid in general. Man this series is great.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Every time I see Aya's cut-in, I burst out laughing. I can't help it!

And it's not even the worst in the OG timeline. Not by a longshot.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Even in a story told entirely by talking heads and dialogue the swimsuit episode must happen :japan:

They managed to resist put Latooni in a school swimsuit. It could have been worse.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It took YEARS for Masaki and Ryune to actually get a combination attack; lord knows why, especially considering they were making jokes about it for so long.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ingram's facial expressions continue to amuse me.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Knowing SRW, it's probably something insane.

Like reducing to 0 hp something covered in extreme warning lights screaming "AVOID AVOID AVOID" while on a turn timer to escape.
Small Q: Does it involve Thrudgelmir? (Mech name)

No, it does not involve that particular spoiler.

And your guess is almost accurate.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The best part of that skit is how smug Shiro looks.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

let us talk instead on which robot has the coolest weapon

my favorites are ones that involve ridiculous amounts of moving parts so my vote will have to go to the R-Gun arranging itself into a giant beam pistol

I'm a really big fan of finishers that are essentially 'THROW loving EVERYTHING'.

My personal favorites don't show up until later, but Trump Card is good enough for now.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Axel is still an evil poo poo here just not nearly as bad as he was in OG2.

I feel they downgraded his evil from 'overconfident, cocky villain' to 'that one jerk uncle that keeps showing up at reunions and he's kinda cool sometimes but then he says something racist or gets into a fight with one of your friends.'

So, you know, improvement.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

JamMasterJim posted:

One of the cruelest things a friend did to me was tricking me into thinking Combattler was getting a reboot back in 2012

With that pachinko video? Yeah, that made me really sad too.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You use Ibis because her theme is cool.

Really, isn't that why you use anyone?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

They were trying to make a feminine-ish unit Ryusei wouldn't want to hump. We'll see if they succeeded when he gets his first look at it.

It's like they never met Ryusei.

I want to see @3 translated just to see his reaction to that Fei-yen.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ashram posted:

Ah, there we have it. Seolla, Banpresto's second or third creepiest female character design.
A 13 or 14 year old girl really should dress like that. (At least the manga made her seem older)

If it makes you feel better, she's not 13 or 14.

She's 15!

And the actual outfit isn't that stupid (it's better than Aya's pilot suit, at least.) It's that Seolla has a bad case of Sudden Disappearing Bra Syndrome, the leading cause of injury for female mecha pilots.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 7, 2015

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, anime ages are whack anyway.

And Banpresto's insistence on putting her in a lolita dress at every opportunity doesn't help...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's oddly the opposite actually. In the original OG2 her 'default' outfit was the dress, OGs backed it up to her wearing her uniform and such more instead. They've actually toned the dress back to the point I think it only shows up in a single attack animation now.

Ah, right, forgot about that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

There's also the fact that, honestly, neither of them seem that into it. Latooni might have a mild crush on the guy, but it's obvious that Ryusei has one and only one love in the world and Lat doesn't have enough engines and servo motors to even come close. She's a friend, but that's it.

And yet, multiple people on the cast try to shove them together at every opportunity.

To be fair, those people tend to be Excellen and Garnet, who are Excellent and Garnet.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ryusei continues to be the best character.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm more baffled as to why they felt the need to have a British guy trying to control Chinese stuff with opium.

I mean, that's a little on the nose, don't you think?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What is it with these games and causing life or death situations as a learning exercise?

I mean, yes, military, they could die at any time, etc, but this is a distressingly worrying trend, right after teenagers in giant robots and sudden disappearing bra syndrome.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If I didn't already know what THAT mission was, this page would be getting incredibly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Onmi posted:

It's a gym?

Yeah, I immediately googled it, and they appear to be normal gyms.

• Locked thread