Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I bought a JP PS2 to play this and Alpha 3, it'll be nice to read the plot changes I didn't catch due to not being Japanese-literate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

Add me to the 'played the poo poo out of these' pile. OGS is one of my all time favourite games, and I honestly can't give a better answer for why than the robots are awesome and the visuals are spectacular. I even have a pair of Alteisen and Weissritter action figures (in the SD proportions they have in the game no less) on my desk right in front of me. They're pretty much the only super-nerdy thing like that I own, so that kind of says something about how much I love this series.

Strangely enough, I never really got into the 'main' SRW series, I think the OG stuff is cooler for the most part, but I'm not a bit fan of most of the anime it comes from so I don't suppose that helps.

I love these games a little too much I think. Because when I see Alteisen, Weissritter, A Gespenst and five other SRW units we haven't seen yet so I won't spoil them on my shelves, I have a problem.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Oh Sanger, you are the absolute best. And we haven't even seen him kicking rear end yet.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I really can't gush enough about Shu Shirakawa's Theme, Dark Prison.

Basically, when this starts playing, something is about to get hosed. It fits the jerk that Shu is so perfectly.

And yes, Magical Talking Cats. They're the best. Anything associated with Masaki and Shu gets a little...off base compared to the rest of the machinery. Well, except maybe one unit that's my absolute favorite but doesn't show up for quite a while in this game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

She was my Giganscudo pilot in all of my playthroughs; they're made for each other. It's even her favorite color.

She does well in it in the later games too. Katina is pretty much the best. And an absolute beast in 2nd OGs.

And yeah, people having natural support defend when they really shouldn't is a big issue. Russel is okay with it, he has the stats for it and does well in machines meant for it...but why in all the hells does EXCELLEN have it?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Materant posted:

Yeah, the Wildschwein is actually really drat good for what it is. It's the best mech you'll have for a while on Ryusei's route, too, so that doesn't hurt its case, either.

I really found myself missing it in 2nd OGs, it's a great unit and looks great too. I think I actually put Latooni into it for a while at one point.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

I am curious: do upgrades and pilot kills carry over into the OG2 segment, or is it treated like two entirely separate games on one disc?

The latter.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

In any case, that's all for now. Next time: :magical:

Yes, Sonic Breakers will be the least of your worries soon enough.

And Elzam technically appeared here first, before being ported to Alpha 2, though he might have been mentioned in Alpha before that, I don't know.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Not just wrote the book-- they were the ones who programmed the original motion data for the mecha. Before them, in order for your robot to fire a gun you had to individually time and balance all the servos and mechanical muscles to hold up the weapon, balance it, aim it, pull the trigger, and all the subconscious motions the human body makes during the process (with variations dependent on your movement, orientation, and footing). After the Agressors, you press a button and the robot fires the gun.

They likely have years of flight hours behind the wheel. Much more, if there's any sort of conspiracy, controversy, or weirdness behind Personal Trooper technology in general, they'd have witnessed it firsthand.

And this is part of why there are so few PTs and PT Pilots in general. The Lions used by DC have controls closer to Jet Fighters, so it's a lot easier to train pilots for them than for PTs, and they're a lot cheaper to mass produce being a lot simpler mechanically.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ryoga posted:

Anyone who doubts that the VAs get a certain level of freedom when doing attack lines needs to look up the Gestpenst kick compilation video.

Said video will have spoilers for OG2, so be warned.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

Welp, looks like the Start button on my PS2 controller is finally on the way out (after 8 years), so my savescumming days may soon be coming to an end! Whether that means the end of the LP remains to be seen. :ohdear:

Not really, I don't generally savescum to get through things

Not with new ones going for $8 on amazon they aren't!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

This part is pretty fun, exploring the space colony side of the OGverse and getting to know Brian is part of what makes OG1 feel like a Gundam show with super robots.

Yeah, the choice between Kyosuke and Ryusei is basically the choice between Real Robots and Super Robots.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

What's everyone's favorite non-OG SRW game?

My first was W but I imported J, and that game is a hilarious romp of overpowered mecha. Valstork and Gao Gai Gar could clear that game by themselves.

I'll have to go with Z3-1 so far. I may not be able to read a damned thing, but the language of Hot Blood is universal.

Seriously GaoGaiGar is the only thing that's missing from the Z series, if that came in somehow I don't know if my PS3 could handle it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Latooni for sure. Parked on something that gives energy regen she can solo entire maps in that thing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I agree with these votes.

Also I don't remember ever having much trouble with this stage. I had a lot of trouble with Bian though, especially in the GBA. OG was my first strategy game so I played pretty badly, ended up with no one alive but Ryoto in the Wildraubtier (that thing is insanely dodgy). I won, somehow, but it taught me to stop sucking.

Which was what Bian wanted to begin with, so neat gameplay and story integration there!

Sounds like how I handled the previous stage. Everyone was nearly dead, but I wanted money. So I had everyone get to the escape square but left Latooni in the Wildraubtier on a regen square and had her shoot down EVERYTHING while they couldn't touch her.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ryusei Route: Latooni
Kyosuke Route: Katina

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Valsione is absolutely the best. :allears:

And you think Rampage Ghost is great, the combination attacks only get more amazing as the game goes on. Not saying Rampage Ghost is bad by any means of course, it's awesome.

Do combination attacks ignore barriers int his game? Or was that a feature that was added to a later one?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, some time between 23 and 24, they porked?

"We're gonna get new orders soon."
"Ugh. When you get hunches like that, they're usually right."
[off-screen anime magic]
"Kyosuke, let's try our love-love attack!"

:japan:

Well there was a timeskip between the defeat of the DC and the White Star showing up. A whole month or something, right?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ryusei: Ryoto

Kyosuke: Katina

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

I would love for one of the SRW games to feature pilots bailing out of their destroyed mechs and coming at you with MANPADs that do like ten damage apiece.

I'd love an SRW with a system like Front Mission 3 where you can literally punch enemies out of their mechs and then steal them for mad cash or upgrades.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Machinery Children. Anyone who's played this or Alpha Gaiden will shudder in the same way we do at Barrelions on hearing that phrase.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Welcome back, boss...for one mission, before he decides to bugger off again. :sigh:

Holy crap that is amazing.

As for the Valsion Custom...
Kyosuke: Katina
Ryusei: Tasuku

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The Vayyikra looks way too much like Xenogears to me. As in the actual mech, not the game which that mech comes from.

Man I'd kill for Xenogears/Xenosaga in SRW. They've already had Kos-Mos!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CmdrKing posted:

Before Z, I put some brainsweat into working out a Xenogears-featured SRW, and it wasn't really very workable. You'd either have to basically derail some other plots and have the heroes fall into a time portal and do nothing but Xenogears for quite a while, or you'd have to skip XG plot and just have the cast show up. There just weren't enough shows that played nice with it.

After Z that just seems silly. gently caress it, two Japans! So on.

I always thought it would fit well with basically everything in Alpha Gaiden myself. Combine the Innocent from Xabungle with the Ethos, the whole scavenger aesthetic of Gundam X...

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

Don't forget that it has a TK Field. Leona or Bullet could probably make better use of it. Or maybe even Ryoto if his stats aren't too melee-focused, I can't remember right now.

Pretty sure Radha has the TK skill too, can't rightly remember at the moment.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Wounded Land posted:

I remember when I played this stage on the GBA version, I was convinced that Galuin was Tenzan because of the "game" thing.
The Neutron Beam's sprite looks exactly like the one in SRWF, which pleases me more than it maybe should.

Atad was waking up 'Gaza' earlier, not Galuin.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I forgive OG2 a lot on the strength of it's villains. Well, most of them anyway.

But this is OG1, so let's talk about how swag Gilliam is. I surmise he is the James Bond/Batman of the OGverse.

Oh he is, he is. Even in OG2. We'll have to pull up the proper scene from the anime when the games catch up.

That could be said of a lot of the scenes from the anime though, the OG2 anime is so much better than Divine Wars.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 7, 2015

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CmdrKing posted:

The impression I got after the fact was that OG1 is an original plot left to its own devices to fill up a whole game, while OG2 is actually a regular SRW.

OG2 is a regular SRW in so much as there's multiple original plots happening at the same time, but yeah pretty much. OG1 is pretty much what, the plot of Alpha 1 minus all non-originals? Most of these characters are actually choices for your protagonist in Alpha 1 after all.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I tried to play Alpha without translations and discovered through experimentation that the Boss Borot's self destruction function was a spirit and a MAP and seriously damaged some of my team, and thought to myself "Maybe I should wait."

I remember seeing that spirit on him and Wing Gundam in Alpha Gaiden and I couldn't help but think "Why would you ever DO that?"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

Luckily it's "just" the Steel Soul, which gives some pretty sweet stat boosts but isn't like a new weapon or something that needs to be shown off in all its glory. And there's a very special way to get another one pretty early in OG2.

Ah yes. Extraordinarily special indeed.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

Hey, it could be worse. You could set up an 8-unit doomstack, all set to kick the boss' teeth in, only to have the computer say "oh hey, nice combo you have there, sure would be a shame if only one of them was actually allowed to make their attack, wouldn't it" and then you throw your DS across the room.

why yes i was just playing endless frontier, how did you guess

Well there's your problem. Endless Frontier is a pretty terrible game, gameplay wise. I don't know what they were thinking with Project X Zone combining that with turn-based strategy.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

And now we get to move on to OG2 which will be even more...interesting.

I'm such a nerd, I love it when there's a full music override like that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

I never played OG2 so this is 100% uncharted territory for me. I'm eagerly awaiting the insanity to come. :allears:

And all this stuff isn't in the original, so I'm confused too, even though I've played this game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

legoman727 posted:

Okay, what in the hell is this, where is OG2, and why do we have weird psychic twins where the sister's got incest vibes?

Well the twins were originally just a gender choice in R, so this is all new characterization.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

Full Possession Cybuster is loving ridiculous. IIRC it was capable of oneshotting the final boss of the game it debuted in.

Not multi-turn shenanigans like the SRX is capable of. Literally doing so much damage with a single attack that the final boss just outright dies.

The SRX could do that in Alpha 1. Very appropriate given the animation for the Tronium Buster Cannon.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

Lamia is cool and her robot manages to have style despite being ridiculous. And she doesn't even need some crazy upgrade to it - that level 10 finisher unlock aside the Angelg is as you will be taking it all the way through this game and the next two even (unless I'm mistaken). Also she has a pretty great song.

What I'm saying is it shouldn't come as a surprise that Banpresto will ruin a perfectly good thing. :shepicide:

She does have an amazing song.

And there's a sidegrade secret unit for Lamia. I know in OG2 it was slightly convoluted, you get get an all-over upgrade to the Angelg, a Unit you could put anyone in, OR the Angelg sidegrade unit depending on how you handle it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

You get the improved Angelg no matter what. Your choices are between a decent unit you can put anyone in or a monster only Lamia can have. Back on the GBA I liked the open unit better, but some changes in OGS make the other secret better now.

Well it helps that in OGS you have more open machines to put people in, so you have less need for the decent open unit.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

The change of units in the remake of OG2 might be my favourite part of OGs entirely because of one incredibly frustrating mission later that becomes a lot easier. But well, all on its own time. At the very least, it is really good that they use the fact that the OG1 mechs are already in-game to have them appear in OG2 instead of generic things like more MP Huckebeins.

I was thrilled to get the Wildraubtier and the Wildschwein back. I'm wanting a new Wildschwein for the next OG game, like we got the new Wildraubtier in OG 2nd.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

I don't think you get the Wildschwein for OG2? IIRC it was kind of a bust at its intent of being a proto mass produced unit for being pretty expensive and not that much better than a Gespenst, so they scrapped it later on. Really all it even is is a Huckebein with a disc thingy strapped on, which is kind of unique but eh.

Though apparently in The Inspector, Bullet and Arado were in mass-produced versions of it? That don't look much different from the MP Huckebein and don't actually seem to have the disc cutter?

I just really like the Disc Cutter. And I thought you got it in this version of OG2, it's been a while since I played my copy and my JP PS2 isn't hooked up to anything at the moment or I'd check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"MAPWs cant melt Steel Souls."

Another vote for a new thread title.

• Locked thread