Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I really want an English translation of OGs. I played through quite a bit of the first one a few years ago. Then I found out they were remade looking much nicer and because of how much nicer it looked I did not want to play the outdated version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kyosuke Nanbu and Excellen Browning also have two pairs of expies. Namco X Capcom brought in Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu while Endless Frontier brought Haken Browning and Kaguya Nanbu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ah Katina. I remember her well from the GBA OG. The term Hellcat that game stated was directed towards her and it fits perfectly. I don't think there is a single scene that she is featured in that does not have her raging. The girl is 99% anger as other then her status screen portait I can't remember one screen of her smiling.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
poo poo I can't believe I just got a bit of the joke on Katina's nickname of Hellcat. Hell Kat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

I disagree. Garnet is easily the best supporter in OG1 (OGs debatable, due to a mechanic Seyser Koze hasn't talked about yet which might put Russel above her, though I disagree). She gets extremely useful spirit commands, put her in the Wildraubtier (is this even a spoiler? I don't know...), and she's unmatched in throwing support spirits left and right. I'd put her above Russel (apart from very specific situations that basically need the previously-mentioned mechanic), as well as more than one actual offensive pilot who haven't appeared yet so I won't name.

Giado is totally useless though.

Katina's great, and I wish she got her own custom unit. Nonetheless the games are kind to her, as people said the Giganscudo is a good fit for her, as is a certain pair unit (for her and Russel) in OG Gaiden. Definitely a mainstay of my team in OG1, and if I ever bother to complete Gaiden (the second-to-last scenario of that game is a pain in the rear end I swear...) I'd probably restart and stick her to my team for as long as I can.

She does get her own Custom unit for a while, the R-Gun, someone else was just using it first.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KataraniSword posted:

The difference is that they're not really mirror shades, they're more "super-shiny anime glasses". Think Gendo Ikari.

They are actully tech glasses that let her scan stuff she can see. They look shiny in order to hide all of the tech babble that would show up for people looking at her. Sadly this kind of makes her look creepy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Reiji and Xiaomu are probably my favorite of the three groups.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say it's because he never becomes playable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't know for sure but with Egret, there is just something about him. I played the GBA a decent amount of the GBA version (Though I don't know how close I got to the end on ether story nor can I really remember what happened.) but Egret for me made a strong impression for some reason and felt like he was getting a lot of build up. I had a feeling he was actually the main villain. Though I really can't remember anything nor did I get far enough to confirm it.

Still even here he just leaves a powerful impression on me and I don't know why.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
After Villeta leaves the R-Gun was given to Katina to pilot officially if I remember. So she is a pretty good match for that ship from what I know.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Rio.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets give it to Russel on the Kyouske route. Katina is the official pilot of the R -Gun and that works pretty well for her.

Anyway I am changing my vote to. Who ever officially got it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 12, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So are we going to keep Katina in her current mech or give her the R Gun?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunter Noventa posted:

Machinery Children. Anyone who's played this or Alpha Gaiden will shudder in the same way we do at Barrelions on hearing that phrase.

Though I do believe that something rather large is changed about them here. Still we will get to that when we get to that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CmdrKing posted:

I dunno, dull as Reiji and Xiaomu are as a unit, I can forgive quite a lot for things like the last attack she has here

I actually prefer Reiji and Xiaomu to Kyousuke and Excellen.

With Reiji and Kyousuke there is not too much of a difference them. But I just like Xiaomu better then Excellen. Maybe it's because she is a huge nerd, maybe it's because like her shouting her attack names ("Xiaomu Typhoon, Xiaomu Laser, Xiaomu Break, Xiaomu Surfer, High Speed Xiaomu) I just like her better. Overall I really like the pair and the pair they were based on. Also Saya who kinda makes a trio with Reiji and Xiaomu.

Onmi posted:

And they cannibalize other OG characters plot arcs, AND they have enough derivatives to have a game starring nothing but Kyosuke and Excellen expies.

Could you name some of them. Kyousuke Nanbu and Excellen Browning, Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu, Haken Browning and Kaguya Nanbu. These three groups are the only ones I know of for sure. But I suppose you could have a game staring the six of them.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 26, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

There's also the protagonists of Project X Zone, and... gently caress I know there's one more pair and I can't recall them off the top of my head

Kogoro and Mii did not seem to be very Kyousuke and Excellen like. Other then them being a boy and girl duo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GimmickMan posted:

That last scene is why, even though I forgot about generic dickbags like Siebel after my first playthrough, Thomas stuck to memory. The guy is genre-savvy enough to know this is going to end badly for the DC and bails, denying you the satisfaction of doing him in.

I kept waiting for him to show up again during all of OG2 and OGG but he wasn't dumb enough to join any of the bad guy factions. I wanted Ryoto to have his revenge. :argh:

He did not seem a bad enough guy to need revenge from Ryoto. He pointed out that it was all Alder's orders that Ryoto was going to be sacrificed, and he encourged Ryoto's defection in a way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Son Ryo posted:

Oh, wait, you don't know? I was holding it back because I thought you were gonna bring it up later, but the reason Thomas disappears is that he's been sucked to La Gias to hang out in the Lord of Elemental games. He's just as great there, too.

I just learned he shows up in Dark Prison as well in the OG Timeline.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Pepper posted:

Ryusei: Garnet:getin:
Kyosuke: Latooni

this as well

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So if Katina has the R-Gun in Kyouskue's route does Ingram use another mech or does he just take it anyway.h

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do think it would have been cooler to have Bullet get captured and Kushua saving him like they did originally.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ashram posted:

Wow, second stage and Axel is already acting like a horrible person. And he is supposed to be the good guy in his universe I think

From what little I know. No Axel is a bad dude. I think it was this game Or Gaiden that decided to make him less of a horrible person and he is still a pretty horrible person from what little I know.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 13, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

He noted "in his universe" which is true. Axel has a v. bad home universe.

Thought he was talking about Advance which he were he debuted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Pepper posted:

It's in all honesty a retcon.

While OG1 went through the remake mostly unchanged plot wise, OG2 gets quite a few retcons.

Like trying to make Axel come across as a slightly better person.

Apparently it was due to fan reaction.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wounded Land posted:

So if that's what happened to Beowulf in this universe, do we find out Lucifer's fate in this game?

Axel was originally one of the protagonists of Advance, hence his heroic theme song.

Called Dark Knight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From looking through his history I have more or less figured out the truth about Axel.

Throughout the games he has had 5 Personalities a different one in each game he shows up in.

Also it appears that all of his attacks are named after the 4 sacred Beasts. Genbu, Byakkyo, Seiryu and Suzaku. (Though he has not used his Suzaku attack yet.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 13, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

They ran pretty hard with Axel being an irredeamable poo poo.

Axel is still an evil poo poo here just not nearly as bad as he was in OG2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It is glorious.

Is there a commonly accepted most-powerful robot in SRW canon?

Neo Granzon is my belief. It just seems the most impressive. (Hell it has the In universe nickname Granzon the cheater because of how powerful it is.)

Just look at this infact skip to 3:05 for the impressive stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqp3W-b12k

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 15, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Introducing Archibald Grims. He is a creep.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wounded Land posted:

And ugh, I hate the Ryusei/Latooni relationship so much. It gives me all the creeps and then some.

Why?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

It would be a little hard when 90% of the cast is Japanese!

Actually a good portion of the cast does not seem to be Japanese. Sure quite a few of them are, but the races in these games cover a ton of different types.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyra_Solune posted:

Alfimi's theme is probably one of my favorites. And if The Inspector is canon, she controls her horrifying lich robot...with pianos!

Also of note: if I'm not mistaken, she wasn't in the original Compact 2 trilogy, just added into Impact. You may have noticed the Einst aren't exactly the most charismatic and talkative of enemies which is a problem when your series is far and away marketed on characters.

Glad they gave the Einst a voice then with Alfimi.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AradoBalanga posted:

Keep in mind that Lee blames the razing of Beijing in the previous game on the Steel Dragons, not the Aerogators. He steadfastly believes that because our heroes did not see Ingram's betrayal coming from miles away and allowed the Aerogators to nearly overwhelm them, the Steel Dragons are responsible for the deaths of many in Beijing including Lee's wife and parents. Therefore, the Steel Dragons are a group of horrendously incompetent chucklefucks that got lucky several months ago in-universe and should be treated as such. This is (some of) the logic that Lee operates on.

Katina is also being very very disrespectful to him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

legoman727 posted:

Oh hey the first of the two OG Remake plot changes that piss me off.

gently caress off Axel Almer. This is where they start forgetting he's an antagonist and the complete re-write he gets annoys me.

He's still a jackass. But I preferred actually evil Axel still. Honestly I wish they had not fired the Beowulf twist off already as well.

Lee's rewrite works a lot better then Axel's

I think it was stated that Axel had more or less 4 personality changes over the games he showed up in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Son Ryo posted:

That's because he wasn't, originally.

Axel debuted as a protagonist in SRW A alongside Lamia (although Lamia would be an enemy if you picked Axel, and vice versa). He spent the first half of his game with amnesia and acted completely goofy. A lot of the Japanese fans who liked him in A practically rioted when he appeared as a total dick in the GBA version, thus the rewrite. And as a fan of him in A myself, I won't complain one bit about any rewrite they give him. Hell, I think he's STILL a bit too much of an rear end in a top hat.

However when he does not have Amnesia in in SRW A he is an evil rear end in a top hat as the villains enforcer.

A thing that should be noted is that Axel despises the W series viewing them as lesser beings. A problem a lot of fans had with him in OG2 was that this appeared to come out of nowhere. In reality he had this trait when he was a villain in SRW A but his traits as a villain did not stand out as much as his protagonist traits.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 24, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man it takes a while for Axel to do anything doesn't it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Seyser Koze posted:

So apparently the next OG game will have an English version.

Yep that is cool. Though I wish we had all the other ones in English.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KataraniSword posted:

Absolutely not! But the other Shadow Mirrors have more or less blatant similarities, even if they aren't the same people. And don't worry, we'll get to meet Beowulf soon enough. There's a reason I called Axel "rear end in a top hat Kyosuke" instead of "Evil Kyosuke" like the post I was referencing did. :unsmigghh:

Axel is still pretty evil given Shadow Mirror's Goals

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do quite like the vocal version of Fairy Dang Sing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhkLI2nsLLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also being Metal Gear villains.

In the games that they have appeared in, the goal of the Shadow-Mirror is to plunge the world in eternal war. Vindel, their leader, believes that war brings about change and the best in humanity, so there is no reason to desire peace. He defines peace as the stagnation in between one war and the next, causing man to become corrupt and weak, and is thus undesirable.

Metal Gear villains is almost too perfect of a description for them.

• Locked thread