Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh hey another SRW LP.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So here we have the NotNewtype jumping into the mysterious mech.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Excellen has the best lines when put in various other mechs.

Also, Sanger is great and I loved him from pretty much the start, especially with how Atlus handled him

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OG2 is a lot harder then OG1 in general, so it's not just you.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Giado was my top ace for a disturbingly amount of time due to him always ending up finishing off mooks with scratch damage.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

legoman727 posted:

I forget, how soon till we get to the best character in OG1? 3 chapters or so?

Excellen and Sanger are already here.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lord Ephraim posted:

If you don't want to wait that long you can watch Divine Wars or The Inspector.

Actually, you can skip Divine Wars. Too much QUALITY. The Inspector is an acceptable anime adaptation if only because it minimized anything dealing with Ibis. What a worthless character.

:frogout:

You aren't wanted here.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

I always just assumed they were speaking English in general and Sanger was just randomly yelling in Japanese because he's a samurai cliche.

Iunno, it's basically the reverse of every super robot pilot calling out their attacks in English because that soudns cooler.

Sanger is basically a giant weeaboo. He's a German who likes to pretend to be a samurai in his giant robot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Irm is great. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't think it's possible for Shu to not be :smug:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Poor Lefina.

She desperately wants to be a professional military captain but she's stuck with Sean and Excellen as subordinates.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

anilEhilated posted:

I really like Katina and Russell and I wish they got more screen time. The psychotic murderess/straight man characterization is pretty basic but it's enforced by the fact they actually work like this gameplaywise. Russell is also a pretty drat good pilot no one really used because of his plain portrait.

Then again I think part of the fun of them is that they're mainly side characters.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's best not to think of how they manage weapon production in this game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes Elzam is basically a Char

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

anilEhilated posted:

Never stop using Katina.

Katina's early access to Valor does give her a strong niche in this part of the Kyosuke route.

I remember one run of OG1 in which I maxed out her Jet Magnum and Gespenst and just went to town. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gyra_Solune posted:

Let's vote for Ryoto just to be different. Pilots wackily out of their canon mechs is always fun since OG1 is one of the only games that really lets you freely do that.

This is a good idea.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hell, if at least one of your giant robots isn't being piloted by a literal 8-year old, you're probably in a tragedy series (and should thus expect all of them to die horribly).

Somebody hasn't watched Zambot 3

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh R-1 how I love you NotZeta Gundam.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Glazius posted:

So wait, this is technology the aliens lifted from Meteor-3? You mean the meteor right loving behind us?

Other way around, Meteor-3 technology is from the aliens.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Broken Loose posted:

The amount of hoops you people are willing to jump through to make a bad character functional in spite of an overpopulation of actually competent pilots is mind-boggling.

Putting a character in mech that suits their stat; jumping through hoops.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

L also had pretty much no budget and it shows for all the reused sprites and literally clips from the cartoons pasted in.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's a reason that only 6 SRWs have ever been translated

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Glazius posted:

Yeah, SRW games seem particularly dense with text, quirks, and references.

Is this officially a path join or just a mutual cameo before our teams go their separate ways?

The teams are united, but the routes have different stages and even plot differences.

Ryusei's route is the canon one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So now we have all the Alpha 1 main characters we're going to get in this game.

Alpha 1 basically had a simple Character Creation. You picked a character's portrait, personality, and set a birthday, doing the same with an opposite gender love interest. There were default packages and the OG characters are based off those. Kusuha is the Female Super Robot Protagonist, with Bullet as her love interest. Leonora's the Female Real Robot, Tasuku as the love interest, and Ryoto's the Male Real Robot, Rio the love interest.

The default Male Super and his love interest isn't in OG1.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You clearly haven't played enough older SRWs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Combinations Attacks in SRW are attacks that can only be used when the component mechs and pilots are next to each other, (Only Kyouske and Excellen can use Rampage Ghost) their power is based off a particular weapon on the mech has. It takes energy from both mechs.

It does not take up both turns, so you can fire off mutliple if you want.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Armorlion's a Good Mech and a lot of your pilots are pretty good in it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

More people know the GBA version's plot better by virtue of actually being in English.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MarsDragon posted:

Twice.

...though to be fair, Ryusei did steal Kusuha's intro, more or less. But everyone agrees Kusuha just got screwed over in OG in general. (Bullet ended up stealing more anyway)

Part of this, I think, is that OG1 actually predates Alpha 2.

I'm pretty sure that when OG1 was written the writers weren't really planning for her to have a huge role. She was just another Alpha 1 protagonist template slotted in.

Then Alpha 2 happened and she's promoted to protagonist of the Alpha series.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MarsDragon posted:

While I get they wanted to keep Z its own thing, I'm still a little sad we're not getting these crazy crossover references anymore. They were fun.

I think you're forgetting somebody.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A Portable is, in fact, a Good Game that is liked by non-babies.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's a reason I use emulators. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ryusei: Garnet:getin:
Kyosuke: Latooni

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Really?

It's probably the easiest secret in the game since it's tied to a very simple Battle Mastery.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hah I put Russel in it on my first playthrough.

It was also my first SRW ever and I'm amazed I beat it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It should be noted that The Inspectors is also incredibly Obari.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

But yes, while Divine Wars is so painfully and obviously budget strapped from minute one, at least The Inspector could get away with looking like it had something resembling a budget about half the time. Even if a lot of that budget went to animating the mechs more than the characters.
To be fair, in a mecha action show I'd much rather have the fight scenes have the budget.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Even in a story told entirely by talking heads and dialogue the swimsuit episode must happen :japan:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's generally a good assumption yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal Ingram! :argh:

• Locked thread