Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I played the two OGs on the GBA, which actually served as my introduction to the SRW series, and this seems to be a more "advanced" version of said two combined. I never actually played Ryusei's path (sorry, Kyosuke was cooler), so I'm looking forward to seeing what I missed in this LP.

I do have one request though; is it possible to brighten up the screenshots a little? Not a big thing really, but they look unusually dark, and not just cause the first campaign is in outer space.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Personality-wise, Bullet always was a stick in the mud, but I guess Sanger's team needed someone halfway "normal" to show just how much the others stand out.

Also, and my memory's fuzzy on this, wasn't Sanger the one in the original GBA version to make all those cutesy Japanese proverbs? I thought he was more into that then the rest of the group.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I got the impression Sean wasn't being pervy so much as he was just messing around. This game's whole cast has their personality quirks, after all.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Did they annoyingly shadow-up Sanger's portrait in the GBA version? I seem to remember it just openly showing that he's an enemy by turning his dialogue box from green to red or something.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Yeah, that's what I meant. Although oddly enough, I don't think they did this for any of the other SRW GBA games (like J and those guys...I think they actually used half-shadows or silhouettes or something).

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Onmi posted:

Actually, J used the question mark, at the very least OG2 used the half-static portraits. I'm not sure if OG1 does the same but I can always boot it up and check.

Okay then, that was my error. It was OG2, not J. I knew one of them did. I never played R, D or those guys outside of the first few chapters because I could never find a translation for them although R's story is heavily emphasized in OG Gaiden.

For what it's worth, I hate the question mark-covering-face thing. When multiple question marks are all talking, you have no loving idea what's going on, even on recurring playthroughs, unless some story mechanic is briefly mentioned by accident. I'll take the silhouettes, no matter how obvious it is.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Actually, thanks to the Lord of Elemental series (I think there's only 4...1,2,3 and F. I could be wrong), Masaki and Shu have perhaps the most complex rivalry and characterization of all the Banpresto originals.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Edited: Eh, I like Arado's more detailed explanation better.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Dr. Egret's gonna be more fun. For reasons that will span across the entire OG series.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

SRW J was my very first introduction to the series, which is funny because it's also one of the easiest and has one of the more boring stories to it. Yet somehow, it remains a favorite. I really like the Z series too, which I've been into a whole lot lately (with Brunom's LP introducing me to them in the first place).

(My overall favorite SRW is 2nd OG 2, but I guess that doesn't really count. Sorry, Ing.)

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

edit: totally posted a reply in the wrong topic

But since I'm here, Ryoto gets my vote as well, if I'm not too late

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Siebel makes a good badguy, though. He's simplistic, promotes dirty tactics, has a complete disregard for human life, and without a backstory (read: being born evil), no one has to feel sorry for him when the goodguys beat him down. Sometimes it's the old school villain stereotypes that make things entertaining. Besides, if all the DC antagonists were as self-righteous as Zoldark and Branstein, it would be boring. That said, Sanger needs to smote him more :colbert:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

RIP Siebel. You will be remembered as that incredible jackass with the amazing chin.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

Man, this map did a number on me in the GBA games. I think I lost everyone but the Hiryu and excellen driving off Sanger, so at the end it was Weiss sitting outside Maier's range plinking him with Oxtongue E, relying on the 5 EN natural regents to stave off death and carry the day.

I might be bad at this is what I'm saying.

Same thing happened to me on my first playthrough. Sanger wiped out the majority of all my good units, leaving me to play hit-and-run with all my wimpy, never-used units against Maier's battleship.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I'm not sure I get why Tempest suddenly turned into a hypnotic zombie-like state. But it also seems like we're systematically killing off all the major badguys, so we'll be finally seeing the Aerogaters soon.

It's been such a long time since I played the GBA version. I really forgot what happens after Adler's hostile takeover of the DC.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

GEIM system is pretty much the OG version of the Psycho Gundam stuff, it's all mentally linked and stuff but in a cheapo fast-burning extremely dangerous way so when things go wrong their brains go haywire. It's a pretty standard anime brainwashing thing.

Ah, okay. I'm not big on anime, but I know what you're referring to. I was kinda hazy on what the GEIM actually was, but as soon as you mentioned Psycho Gundam, I got the picture. Neato.

This might've worked better if Tempest's character was expanded on more, because actually, I didn't really care if the team killed him or not.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Off-topic, Project X Zone was one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, and the major plot twist at the end was so fantastically retarded I swore off playing any of those EF/X Zone games ever again.

I'm really digging Ingram's background. It seems like a lot's missing, though. Is it an Alpha thing or will OG2 (the OGs version) delve more into this?

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I didn't play the first Endless Frontier, but I played the untranslated second one (with Aredy and Neige as the heroes). It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, and every enemy encounter felt like they were punching bags (the music was kick-rear end though).

I'm really curious about Ingram's role in Alpha now. See, Alpha was one of the series I never got to play because I couldn't find a translation for them anywhere. I have a fairly good grasp of the plot due to other SRW games' references to it (particularly Gaia Saviour), but drat, I need to get back into these.

edit: removed a sentence regarding EF because I felt it might be a little too spoilery, even with tags.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 6, 2015

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

@Omni
That actually clears things up a bit. It sounds like Ingram's character wasn't changed, it was just dumbed down a little due to not having the usual 3 dozen mecha animes intervening in the Divine Crusader war.

I always thought EF made fun of the fanservice bits rather than re-emphasized them. Again, I can't speak for the first one, but in the second one, you play a not-overly-bright, muscle-headed oaf (Aredy) who treks around with some busty elf princess (Neige) and continually gains companions who are amusingly bad anime stereotypes, starting from the playboy bounty hunter (Haken I think is his name?) and all the bimbo princesses that accompany him. It's like it's intentionally trying to be as absurd as possible. And just like the mainstream SRW, it's mandatory to make fun of each other, from outrageous outfits to equally ridiculous personalities.

edit: CmdrKing beat me to it

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 6, 2015

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

On that note, are Balmarians just humans from another world? Do we ever actually see a real one? The only one I've seen is Euzeth Gozzo, and he's wearing a mask.

My ignorance may be showing, especially since I've played a wide variety of the series, but Alpha always eluded me.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I'm not gonna go back and find all the quotes, but in regards to the Balmarians being human, I guess Euzeth Gozzo does have a face under there, further supporting this. Just to be safe, I'm gonna spoiler tag a few things from OG2 II (Gaia Saviours):

I never got to the ending because gently caress is this a long game, but the game's main villain, a slick politician and arms dealer named Arteil Steinbeck, turns out to be Gozzo in the "true ending". I ran some translations for his big reveal, and it's left ambiguous as to if that's really what he looked like or if it was some sort of RPG-themed magical disguise to make himself appear human. However, because this is an OG game, it may be off base because again, I never played Alpha to fully understand Gozzo's character (if it even has any relation to the role he plays in OG2 II). And this never donned on me, but the Inspectors and Guests are humans from other worlds as well.

Also, I'm with whoever wanted some non-humanoid looking aliens in the SRW games. That's a cool idea.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

It's a little presumptuous before the ending, but congrats on clearing OG1. I'm really looking forward to OG2, it's one of my favorite SRWs :allears:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Well, I never played the OGs version of OG2, but this whole prologue is already reminiscent of OG Gaiden. I'm kinda scared of all these "new missions" and other additions, because my knowledge of OG2 is likely to go kaput.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Onmi posted:

you know except for all those protagonist females, like Ibis and Setsuko and Selena and Lamia and-

Ooh, I agree here. Banpresto may have plenty of helpless damsels, but they have more than enough badass heroines to even things out. I gotta add Ariel Org and Calvina to that list too.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about Echidna :eek:

edit: I forgot to mention, I really hate Lee. And not in the sense of one of those "love to hate" guys, but in the general sense of I think he's a dirtbag and no more. (Archibald might fill the "love to hate" spot, though)

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

Alpha 2 stuff

I always wondered about Ibis' role, starting in Alpha 2 (I picked Sanger because I wanted a sword that smites evil...and I hadn't played Gaiden yet, so his unusual past seemed pretty cool at the time), but in the OG universe, it almost seems as if she was supposed to be the main pick due to storyline circumstances. After all, her obvious relationship to Filio/Sleigh is played out, and in OGs 2, she's the one who befriends little Irui.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

After catching up on the last few updates, I'm fairly impressed at the little bits of information mentioned here and there about certain plot elements eluding to OGG. I'm not calling out any spoilers, but It kind of makes OGG seem interesting all of a sudden (which, in my opinion, has one of the more boring stories of the OG series).

Also, was Murata pulled from the Masou Kishin series? Or am I thinking of someone else? He seems weirdly familiar, but maybe I'm making that up. The SRW universe is huge.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I still have yet to ever see the Kusuha/Bullet route for Alpha 3. I'm told it just has more appearances of Son Ganlong's amazing hat more than anything. (/ignorance is my bliss, since the only route I ever played was Selena's, whose rival was a badass bitch with a retarded name.) I need to refresh my memories on the Alpha skill sets.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Ashram posted:

You also get to see Sanger smiting Bullet while Kusuha (and a character who we have yet to see in OGs) laugh about it.

Also Kusuha is pretty amazing in Alpha 3. Starts with Support Attack and Guard for 10 Sp (though that could be because of the "11/11 B" birthday)

I never knew that about Kusuha's starter skills; I've been looking them up and honestly, I'm a little mad I never played her route, but I had little time with Alpha 3. I only chose Selena cause I liked her theme music the best and because I already played Sanger to death in Alpha 2.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Did Zeorymer only ever appear in J?

On a side note, I never understood why Banpresto went with Hades Project Zeorymer; I kinda feel like it's barely known and the story, while creative, isn't nearly long enough to be entertaining. If they had to pick one of Takaya's works, shouldn't it have been Guyver? I mean, if Tekkaman can get away with appearing in SRWs, Gigantic-G and Aptom shouldn't be out of the question :colbert:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I had no idea Zeorymer was in MX. It was one of those SRW games I deliberately missed because I felt the OG story was covered in 2nd OGs (MX is the one with Hugo, Aqua, creepy Dr. Elde, and AI-1, right? Or am I continuing to confuse my SRWs?) I do need to get around to playing it some time, though. The 3 Z3s ( :dance: ) have been consuming my SRW fix at the moment.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Were those guys' faces shaded out in the GBA version? I seem to recall we immediately got to see some brand new enemy faces, but maybe I just forgot. I certainly forgot about that obnoxious beam absorption though.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

As long as we're comparing Sanger to things, Wodan's also a homage in Endless Frontier Exceed, where his appearance matches the main villain, Gagun Laos. It weirdly took me forever to figure this out.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I'm with the rest of these guys; this mission looks annoying as all hell. But I weirdly don't remember it when I played the equivalent on the GBA version...Did I repress it? Or did I always go the moon route? Regardless, these types of missions used to make me want to throw my GBA in frustration.

Also, Lee's such a negative, disagreeable fellow; I mean, how could you not like our pack of loveable Federation clowns?

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Government incompetency? Absurd. :fsmug:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Onmi posted:

This however seems like a good time to bring up Super Robot Wars OG2, Ver.A This is a japanese romhack of Original Generation 2, which along with some other changes, notably has the main story switch of Axel into the position of Lamia. The exception of course is you can actually recruit Lamia back.

That's actually a pretty cool concept. Although since OG2 was my very first experience with the SRW series, I'll always remember Axel as the "crazed rival" regardless.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I never knew about the whole fourth wall deal in that mission :aaa:
I was never that "devoted" to trying to beat them all down in some special order anyhow, but it's kind of cool how the game actually acknowledges the accomplishment, even if it is more funny than rewarding.

Also, until the update, I never actually realized Wendolo was just a kid. I knew he was a younger guy than his cronies, but I didn't realize he was a child. I'd like to know more about his original appearance in SRW3 (since I never played it, let alone found any translations of it), but I suspect I'm delving into spoilers here.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Finally! I was beginning to forget all about the Mystery Gourmet :allears:

Also, Vigagi's so creepy looking. What's wrong with his head?

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I played OG2 before Alpha 3, so in the back of my mind, I always justified Mai's poorly developed recruitment in Alpha 3 to be exactly like it was in OG2, after Judecca's fall. It's weird, but until it was brought up, I didn't realize how minuscule her story-related presence even was.

I'm not sure which came out first, so I can't really justify which is better other than the order I played them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Super Robot Wars OG Xtreme Beach Volleyball

• Locked thread