Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I have a couple of friends who were on the localization team at Atlus USA, and they tell me that another big barrier to this game coming out in the US was Sony's insistence on a complete dub for PS2 games. And if you've seen how truly, grossly massive the voiced script for this game is, you'll realize that hiring enough voices to fill in all of the roles would've probably cost more than the modest amount of money they expected to make from curious SRPG fans and fans who would be willing to buy the game a second time in English. There were also issues with disc space that fans of SRW would probably have taken them to task on, since it would've meant cutting the entire Japanese language track.

So it's not JUST licensing that made Atlus go "fuckit" with the series as a whole...

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shouldn't his name be Plisken, like Snake "I thought you were dead" Plisken?

You can't trust the spelling of a company that names its songs Woman the Cool Spy and Fairy Dang-Sing.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

quote:

"Dinner? ...Shower?"* He wants to make his report first, as Sanger approaches.

A nuance that's lost to many English audiences - this is part of an old joke about what to say to a spouse coming home from work. "What'll you have first? Dinner? Shower? Or me?"

Excellen's coming on to him reeeeeally hard and making a joke. Kyousuke's completely ignoring it.

I love these two.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

OG2 is a lot harder then OG1 in general, so it's not just you.

Anyone have a picture of That Level ready? Or was there more than one That Level?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

Wait, people hate Rai and Aya now? Especially Rai, he's a good straight man to Ryusei's wacky antics.

I love Rai! He has a German last name, therefore he is one of the most overpowered characters in the OG series.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He Isnt his brother.
Therefore he isnt OP.

His cousin's pretty OP too.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

You could he has... the touch.

I would say he has the glow.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Never did like the SRX b-team.
Though Latooni is a super dodge machine. Literally the best dodge tank in OG.

Not to keep tooting the horn, but the entire Branstein/Garstein clan has 10-14 more dodge than she does. They're just kept back by not having maneuverable machines in OG1. Leona is my dodge waifu.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Yeah but they all ride high damage output mechs. Dodge Tank is there to look like an weak target and put out that essential scratch damage so the big bots can do clean up sweeps and not waste time and resources on chaff.

I guess that also eliminates Excellen from consideration too, since she also has 10-14 higher dodge than Dodge Tank at all times?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

This is almost even worse. Good grief.

Is this where we start pulling out the pictures of other robot shows and use the feeble "well, [Y show] is even worse, therefore OG isn't bad" defense?

No? Okay, never mind then.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Excellen doesn't have Genius so she's not nearly as dodgy despite the Evasion stat lead.

I honestly forgot that she doesn't have it, so I looked up everything again. Leona gets NewtypePsychodriver+Attacker instead of Genius, so that's a semi-wash, while the Weiss and the Lion both have slightly higher maneuverabilities than anything Latooni gets.

So basically, dodge waifu is a title that several characters can hold.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 19, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Including Rai and his brother! (assuming you either take Rai out of his slow-rear end defaults or throw cash into their mobility until it doesn't matter)

Yeah, dodge tanking is pretty common and powerful in OG. There aren't that many Mazinger Z-type originals, who can damage tank until the cows come home.

Amusingly, the Kouji-style character is so unique in this game that the Japanese nickname for him is Defense (ディフェンス).

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

In the GBA version (I'm not sure if it happens in this one too) Bullet imagines that with Kyosuke as the new guy Excellen won't pick on him any more. He's so naive. :allears:

That is, quite literally, what he is saying here:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Sanger's more into bushido and codes of honor than proverbs, all things considered. And cleaving things with a hammy attitude.

While Sanger doesn't get wordy with his proverbs, he spouts tons of Japanese idioms, especially ones from the samurai age - he makes extensive use of (and cribs off of) a lot of Yojijukugo.

This one, for example, means "Focus your entire being on what is in front of you".

His most famous one, which we won't see for quite a while, is a good ol' Japanese pun via kanji substitution. During the transformation for Tatsumaki Zankantou, he shouts 刃馬一体, "the blade and the horse are one", which is a variation of an actual saying from samurai of the the medieval era: 人馬一体, "the horse and his rider are one".

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 20, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Oooh, mind telling?
SRX Banpreios? or something else?

I still like the Alt quite a bit more than that hunk of bulk.

But it has knife-horn-things sticking out of everywhere! Knife-horn-shoes! Knife-horn-backpack-wing-things! Knifehorns EVERYWHERE, how can you hate that

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Silvergun1000 posted:

I dunno, I feel like anything that can't Rampage Ghost is out of the running of the cool game. I know everybody loves a certain other combo attack, but for me, that one sets the standard.

I was making fun of how many pieces of bullshit hang off of Ryusei's ultimate toy. It's a fun design principle I learned from Koge Donbo: to make a girl cute, you can just keep throwing on accessories and extras. If you do that to a guy (or a robot), they just look stupid.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Shaezerus posted:

I'm half-convinced that you can spell virtually any Original in this franchise however you want and it's correct according to some incarnation of official media. Poor Rathgrith. :v:

Unless it's German or ends in -Lion, then they actually have rules to adhere to!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I really like Katina and Russell and I wish they got more screen time. The psychotic murderess/straight man characterization is pretty basic but it's enforced by the fact they actually work like this gameplaywise. Russell is also a pretty drat good pilot no one really used because of his plain portrait.

Russell is a generic wall in a game full of dodge tanks and roving death machines who can throw up 不屈 (I can never remember its English translation) every turn. The OG fandom treats him affectionately (his Japanese nickname is Defense), but they also treat him realistically as the filler unit he is.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Just like Daitetsu's commanding Beard/Pipe combo, Kai's 'stache should immediately show anyone that this is a guy whom you can entrust with a squad straight away.

That reminds me. Daitetsu is 100% Captain Bruno J. Gloval, but is Tetsuya supposed to be anyone in particular?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

You bet your life I'll be doing that one. Three years from now. :shepicide:

That's the secret I learned the word Giblo from! :shepicide:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Does this mission introduce the Treue BGM, or does that not come up until later? I'm a big fan of the song, even though I found out a few weeks ago that they remixed it and gave it words for some godawful reason.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

That's a thing some SRW fans do for whatever reason. There haven't been official character vocal themes that I know of since Alpha, and no robot vocal themes since Alpha 3. (and even then it was just the the ones that got remixed from Alpha) Everything since then is fan-done, with the resulting levels of quality.

Treue is just a remixed Trombe! anyway

It's real. They did it to Fairy Dang-sing in the TV series, and Sakakibara Yui also performs the song in concert.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

All things considered, males with long, luxurious hair should be a giant warning sign in the OGverse. I can't think of a single one who doesn't either directly or indirectly deserve a punch in the face.

Point of clarification: Does Irm's mullet qualify as "long, luxurious hair"? Only half of it? Science demands an answer.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

The Hagane is holding at 2500 meters, and still no sign of enemies on sonar. Eita helpfully points out that they're coming up on the deepest section of the Izu Strait; at 10000 meters it's well past crush depth even for the Hagane. Rio responds with something clever, which Eita doesn't take too well.

:eng99:Yeah, I'm stumped. My limited grasp of Japanese can't parse this one, and this little exchange isn't actually in the Atlus version. Unless somebody else wants to come to the rescue this will remain a mystery FOREVER.

Would you believe that she's making an awful pun here? From the context, she's splitting the difference between そんなことかい (sonna koto kai) -> "Is that so/is that all?" and "圧壊" (akkai) which is "being crushed by severe pressure". Eita's line pretty much translates to "That's so corny."

As a note, this is where the Acguy gets its name.

quote:

Just not yet, because Daitetsu only has enough SP for two casts and we want to make them count. The submarines on this mission are actually different from the Killer Whales we've seen before; they're the Killer Whale DS. As far as I can tell, "DS" stands for "drat lovely" or something similar because the main difference from the regular model is 7500 health instead of 15k.

This one's a little less punny. I'm willing to bet that it stands for "Deep Sea".

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 27, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

I am quite certain that my interpretation is correct. :thejoke:

In my defense, once you're in "find the pun" mode it's hard to get out of it. Also puns are awful :(

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

That's not the Nadesico.

Does the Battle 7 even enter this conversation? I just remember it dodging everything for no good reason because Max was piloting it.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

When Bian talks about the Earth or about what needs to be protected, he refers to it as "this star." I generally take this to mean that he views the solar system, or at least the area of space around the Earth, as humanity's domain. Unless 3rd OG reveals that he was actually an alien all along or something similar.

:eng101: He's not being that poetic or expansive. The word 星/"hoshi" refers both to both stars and planets. So he's saying "this planet" most of the time, though the man does love his poetry.

Translation Nitpicker Squad away! (goes back to translating high school kids in dating games)

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tempest's long internal monologue, worthy of Shakespearean drama as he ponders the nature of war itself as Hamlet once did.

Tempest: Can I really do it?
Tempest: Can I kill a child?
Tempest: Yeah, I guess I can.

Deep, man. Deep.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

And this is why I never take Tasuku out of the Giganscudo.

But--but you miss so many puns jokes this way! As far as anyone can tell, Banpresto just let Yamaguchi Kappei make up his lines while he was in the studio, and it's amazing.

Light truck! Heavy sword!

First up, scissors! And then, scissors! And as the finisher, scissors again!

Sonic... blahblahblahration!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

They've never really elaborated on how that gets handled, as far as I know. Granted, a lot of voice actors who work on the series do love what they're doing and have fun with their lines, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

In my imagination, Midorikawa Hikaru hovers over everyone's shoulder at Banpresto at all times, giving his input on everything from unit placement to sound mixing to just how loud you need to scream "Jet Magnum". It explains a lot to me.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

I had the same problem what I was trying to translate the colony names. Someone told me it was 'Spes', which is supposedly Latin for hope and therefore fits the naming scheme, but as I don't know Latin I can't verify this.

Wikipedia to the rescue! Spes is the Roman goddess of hope, the counterpart of Elpis.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Is there really ANY character song in the OG games that is actually "bad"?

I absolutely despise Suzuka's theme in Endless Frontier. Does that count?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

This is the Keitoragouken, whose kanji I cannot parse for the life of me so I'm just going to go with the Atlus "Calamity Sword" translation. You'd think it would be a dynamic kill, but no, not this time.

:eng101:

This one's a toughie, so I don't blame you at all. Keito and Ragou are the Japanese names for the Hindu astrological "planets", Rahu and Ketu, the severed head and headless body of a demonic snake which cause eclipses when the snake eats the sun or the moon. I'm no astronomer, so I don't exactly know what the "north and south lunar nodes" mean, but anyway, Rahu is bad luck so "Calamity Blade" is totally easier to explain to people than "They're the asura that were created when Vishnu cut Svarbhanu's head off and the head and body fused with a demon snake that eats the sun and the moon and they're bad juju"

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

This must be what it feels like to be Inez from Nadesico, popping up at random times and pontificating about random subjects whether anyone wants to hear it or not.

Anyway, Irm and the Grungust are among my favorites marriages of pilot and machine in OG, because he always has something to contribute as a solid frontline tank. He may not be spectacular, but the Mullet and his Getter-alike always come through in the clutch, even before his ace bonus kicks in and makes him the Love Machine.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Welp, now you've done it, I'm hearing all of Shu's lines with a Scottish accent.

He's a McSword, not a MacSword. Imagine him with an Irish brogue instead!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

What's everyone's favorite non-OG SRW game?

My first was W but I imported J, and that game is a hilarious romp of overpowered mecha. Valstork and Gao Gai Gar could clear that game by themselves.

I'm pretty partial to Z2-1, it has the classic Getter Armageddon team (I love Ex-Con Ryoma and rear end in a top hat Hayato like you wouldn't believe) and the goofiness of TTGL on its side.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Alacron posted:

If we're thinking of the same video, I think it involved two twinned units, one support attacking for the other, and all four individual mechs were using combination attacks.

Unfortunately I can't find that video either :shrug:

There's one version of it here. It has a ton of spoilers for attacks and characters that don't happen until OGS2, but it is also 5 minutes of pure super robot carnage with 10 pilots getting in on the action. Alternate tags are "why you should turn animations off toward the end of the game" and "Stop, stop, he's already dead"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaQ3Y523f0A

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 9, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Yeah, if you guys could at least spoiler-tag links that say "hey surprise, character x ends up becoming a spoiler" that would be nice.

Done. I keep forgetting that the spoiler tag is way more important than the actual warning "this is a spoiler"

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

Nope, the "dancing". is still completely stupid-looking.

Excuse me, sir, I think you misspelled dang-sing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

[Also I just realized how silly it is that we have a character named Leona piloting robots named Lion. It is never alluded to in-game, so it's most likely just a silly coincidence, too.

THAT's what trips your silliness sensors?

• Locked thread