Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Developing story, details and sources are kind of mixed right now.

quote:

Rich Willis, who was at the track, said he didn't see exactly what happened but his sister down in Turn 1 did. He saw Stewart and Kevin Ward get into the wreck.

"People (who could see it better) said the guy got out of his car and was gesturing angrily at Tony Stewart when Tony Stewart came by during the next lap under yellow," Willis said in a phone interview. "He approached him and evidently when he was driving by the guy standing on the track gesturing at him, he gunned his engine.

"What happened was the back end kicked out and clipped the guy and the guy flew across the track."

Deadspin has a good collection of sources so far.

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-st...dium=socialflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This page has a lot up:
http://carolinasportsthoughts.blogspot.com/2014/08/tony-stewart-runs-over-competitor-in.html

Several posts saying a life flight was cancelled and there's crime scene tape up. Doesn't sound good.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Holy gently caress.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Has Darren Rovell come out with the monetary figures that Stewart might lose if sponsors pull out? It's important I know as soon as possible.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Do we really need two threads? The NASCAR thread is on top of this and most discussion that I would trust is in there.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BMB5150 posted:

Do we really need two threads? The NASCAR thread is on top of this and most discussion that I would trust is in there.

This is going to be a shitstorm so probably, yeah.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

BMB5150 posted:

This happens in SAS and yeah, I'd say this is a story that will somewhat transcend the NASCAR thread. I'm sure the NASCAR fans here can find this thread and manage to contribute too.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress. Hopefully most of this is just Twitter-inflated bullshit and not as serious as it appears.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It doesn't appear to be.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

RumbleFish posted:

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress. Hopefully most of this is just Twitter-inflated bullshit and not as serious as it appears.

Naw, seems to be pretty much confirmed that it happened and the kid is between "seriously injured" and "dead".

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

RumbleFish posted:

No many eyewitness reports saw and heard Stewart slam the throttle kicking his car out and :nms: running him over and then sending him flying.:nms: Yeah with how things are slowly coming out and not getting dismissed, Stewart is completely hosed.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Has SAS seen anything of this level since Benoit?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Matlock posted:

Who?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

BMB5150 posted:

Considering this wasn't a NASCAR event, I'd say it deserves this.

Just for help, this is a picture of the car used in the incident.
https://twitter.com/ESSprints/status/498195707422322688

e: for clarity, that is not Kevin Ward Jr. near the rear right tire.

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 10, 2014

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Matlock posted:

I remember the Pistorius threads were pretty big around the time of.

Granted it was mostly thirty posts a minute making variations on "he doesn't have a leg to stand on" but still

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Matlock posted:

Aaron Hernandez springs to mind.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
All we can do is really pray. The helicopter was cancelled so honestly the kid is probably dead.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
I mean, isn't Stewart notorious for petty fights that get out of control and trying to wreck other drivers? What did they think would happen?

edit: wow this is some local speedway poo poo? what the gently caress, throw him in jail already

Brogeoisie fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 10, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

soggybagel posted:

Aaron Hernandez springs to mind.

Yeah if this dude is dead this is a huge bomb being dropped on the sports world. Frankly its bigger than Aaron Hernandez because it actually happened during a sporting event and involves a HUGE name in the sport.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Brogeoisie posted:

I mean, isn't Stewart notorious for petty fights that get out of control and trying to wreck other drivers? What did they think would happen?

Wrecking a dude, punching a dude, calling a dude an rear end in a top hat =/= running someone over.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Brogeoisie posted:

Was. He has calmed down a lot from 10 years ago where every week he would get his rear end into trouble. Now it's like once a year... so he was due for his temper to blow, but this is pretty loving stupid he did.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Fox Sports 1 seems to be covering it, haven't seen anything come out from ESPN.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Brogeoisie posted:

He definitely used to be. I don't watch NASCAR as much as I used to, but I'd gotten the impression that he had kind of mellowed out and matured over the years. Like if this had happened in 2006 or something, maybe it wouldn't be nearly as shocking, but still.

Obviously a more informed fan can confirm or deny this.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Fox Sports 1 seems to be covering it, haven't seen anything come out from ESPN.

Well, they just lost the NASCAR rights, so this may as well be NHL news now.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Teddybear posted:

I remember the Pistorius threads were pretty big around the time of.

Granted it was mostly thirty posts a minute making variations on "he doesn't have a leg to stand on" but still

Cory Lidle will always be the king of sports related death threads

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is he no longer in NASCAR? What was he doing at a little track like this?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is he no longer in NASCAR? What was he doing at a little track like this?

A bunch of drivers race on dirt for fun.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

No one wants to touch this with a 10 ft long pole. All of this is really fuzzy except Stewart hit a guy. I don't think ESPN wants to say anything dumb or Fox say anymore than an accident happened.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
SportsCenter actually went live with the story.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
@13WHAM · 3m
UPDATE: FF Thompson Hospital in Canandaigua confirms they have a driver from the motorpark speedway who is battling serious injuries.

Rochester NY news station

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

17 years old, jesus christ Tony.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

17 years old, jesus christ Tony.

Some internet sleuthing done by someone else seems to indicate he's actually 20 and his website hasn't been updated in a few years.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
There going to be anything official tonight or are the cops just sitting on it so far?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SporkOfTruth posted:

Some internet sleuthing done by someone else seems to indicate he's actually 20 and his website hasn't been updated in a few years.

I suppose that's slightly better, in a minuscule cosmic way. :smith:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

davecrazy posted:

There going to be anything official tonight or are the cops just sitting on it so far?

@NewsBreaker
Was just told Ontario County Sheriff currently meeting with victims parents. Will talk to media momentarily. - @thadbrown7

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

davecrazy posted:

It'll probably be a couple hours before you hear something from the cops. There's a lot of notifications that have to be done, especially if this guy is dead/has life-threatening injuries.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So from what I've read, most of the people even somewhat connected to the sport are saying Stewart did it on purpose, based on how the cars react mechanically. Am I getting that right?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It'll probably be a couple hours before you hear something from the cops. There's a lot of notifications that have to be done, especially if this guy is dead/has life-threatening injuries.

https://twitter.com/thadbrown7

media update in 10 minutes, this Rochester station doesn't have streaming though...

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

sba posted:

https://twitter.com/thadbrown7

media update in 10 minutes, this Rochester station doesn't have streaming though...

I wonder if any of the big sports channels will be able to pick up the presser that quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I wonder if any of the big sports channels will be able to pick up the presser that quickly.

Fox Sports 1

• Locked thread