Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He'll just run him over too.

maybe those cops shouldnt be on the track??? just one average guy's opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

priznat posted:

They just attempt to chase him in police cars through however many laps of Watkins Glen

I'd pay to watch this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Blitz7x posted:

Smokey and the Bandit 3

Approximately how many jumps are there on the Glen? Not enough I'm sure.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

priznat posted:

Approximately how many jumps are there on the Glen? Not enough I'm sure.

The other drivers will just have to contribute for the sake of spectacle.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Teddybear posted:

The other drivers will just have to contribute for the sake of spectacle.

Well that's not very entertaining, Stewart's car barely jumped in that video.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ch3cooh posted:

How many local officials do you think the France's are bribing right now?

None, money means everything to NASCAR and there's no way their sponsors will be cool with Stewart racing tomorrow. Regardless of whether he is at the track, the chances of him actually racing are pretty much zero, even if he never gets charged for this.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Even if he avoids jail time that's one hell of a civil suit judgement for the victim's family.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
"Scoring isn't killing, Mr. Frankenstein. It's part of the race."

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Playing devil's advocate here, I think some of you guys may be quickly jumping to some yet unfounded conclusions. I'm not saying whether he intentionally hit him or if it was an accident, but I wouldn't say it's definitively clear either way from that video.

Stewart's well-known road rage will certainly work against him as people form opinions. But the kid also did position himself very close to Stewart's car, and from reading about these cars, apparently the back naturally fishtails as you're going through turns. Considering that it was the right rear tire that hit him, it's very plausible that it was an accident, the product of the kid getting very close to the car and the right rear fishtailing as Stewart drove past him in the turn. That being said, there's also an argument that could be made that Stewart knew the car would fishtail and hit him as he got close, but that's also a bit speculative. Let's wait and see how the investigation plays out.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

davecrazy posted:

Playing devil's advocate here, I think some of you guys may be quickly jumping to some yet unfounded conclusions. I'm not saying whether he intentionally hit him or if it was an accident, but I wouldn't say it's definitively clear either way from that video.

Stewart's well-known road rage will certainly work against him as people form opinions. But the kid also did position himself very close to Stewart's car, and from reading about these cars, apparently the back naturally fishtails as you're going through turns. Considering that it was the right rear tire that hit him, it's very plausible that it was an accident, the product of the kid getting very close to the car and the right rear fishtailing as Stewart drove past him in the turn. That being said, there's also an argument that could be made that Stewart knew the car would fishtail and hit him as he got close, but that's also a bit speculative. Let's wait and see how the investigation plays out.

Oh I agree with you 100%. The kid was a dumb fuckin idiot kid and Stewart wasn't trying to kill him, but he has a temper and was trying to big-time him.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Stewart gunned the throttle.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

He will do some dumb weepy press conference, get away with murder, and probably sentenced to some probation. Maybe lose all his sponsors and have to not be as rich I guess.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

davecrazy posted:

You must have missed the part where he audibly got on the gas hard as he approached the guy.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
It's not as fun if I have to put my terrible posts from other forums in quotes. :(

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Cubey posted:

You must have missed the part where he audibly got on the gas hard as he approached the guy.

It ain't gonna matter

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

davecrazy posted:

It's not as fun if I have to put my terrible posts from other forums in quotes. :(

I was talking with my friend who gets all his news from reddit and apparently the consensus there is along the lines of "Tony did nothing wrong and even if he did Ward was asking for it"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As a hockey fan, I have experience with seeing athletes trying to literally murder each other on the playfield. The phrase "implied consent" has come up before. None of them actually succeeded in the murder attempts though. However, they weren't driving 700+hp murder machines.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Jesus gently caress ESPN ran the video.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Looks to me like Kevin Ward wins a Darwin Award, and Tony Stewart wins felony manslaughter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

priznat posted:

As a hockey fan, I have experience with seeing athletes trying to literally murder each other on the playfield. The phrase "implied consent" has come up before. None of them actually succeeded in the murder attempts though. However, they weren't driving 700+hp murder machines.

The only thing that would be even remotely comparable would be if a hockey player took off his skate and lunged at another's neck with it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

This kinda reminds me of Casey Cizkas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Cizikas#Personal_life

quote:

During a rugby football game in 2007, Cizikas tackled Manny Castillo in what was described by Cizikas as a "headlock". Castillo died of a head injury two days later; it was noted by physicians that two weeks prior to the battle with Cizikas, Castillo suffered a major concussion. One doctor testified that Castillo’s concussion was severe enough that it should have kept him out of competition with physical contact for a full year. The Castillo family supported Cizikas throughout his ordeal and believed the death to have been accidental, asking that Cizikas be spared punishment. Their request could not be met due to Peel Regional Police and their support of conviction because the tackle led to a death. Castillo's father provided a statement that called for fighting in youth hockey to be abolished, but again did not blame Cizikas for his son’s death.

In 2009, Cizikas was found guilty of manslaughter by Judge Bruce Duncan who believed Cizikas used “unnecessary force”. He was given a sentence of one year probation and 100 hours of community service.[13]

Similar situation. Castillo did dumb stuff that directly lead to his death, police still went after a manslaughter conviction for Cizikas

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Welp, the media narrative is settling nicely on "tragic accident" - and I'm sure Stewart will claim he was attempting to avoid Ward (backed by talking heads repeating that Ward should have never rushed to the middle of the track in the first place) and made a fatal error.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The only thing that would be even remotely comparable would be if a hockey player took off his skate and lunged at another's neck with it.

Luckily, Happy Gilmore is the sole holder of that record.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

Welp, the media narrative is settling nicely on "tragic accident" - and I'm sure Stewart will claim he was attempting to avoid Ward (backed by talking heads repeating that Ward should have never rushed to the middle of the track in the first place) and made a fatal error.

With all the eye-witnesses available to testify that Stewart deliberately gunned his engine so as to fishtail his back-end into Ward, I don't think this is going to be quite that simple for Stewart.

Stewart is a professional race-car driver. He won't be able to credibly claim that he didn't realize his vehicle would do what it did. Criminal prosecution has made do with much less.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 10, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The only thing that would be even somewhat comparable would be if a hockey player took off his skate and lunged at another's neck.

There have been some pretty bad skate cuts over the years. However none of them were intentional, thankfully. There have been some pretty good belts with a stick upside the head and sucker punches, though.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

ninotoreS posted:

With all the eye-witnesses available to testify that Stewart deliberately gunned his engine so as to fishtail his back-end into Ward, I don't think this is going to be quite that simple for Stewart.

They say versus I say.

They will say deliberate, he will claim a last-ditch effort to avoid Ward with tragic and unintended consequences.

The truly sad thing is that hundreds of PR executives will be RACING to their offices on a Sunday morning to pitch their services to Stewart.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 10, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MaoistBanker posted:

It doesn't matter what the media narrative is, what matters is what conclusions the authorities come to.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

MaoistBanker posted:

The public at large is dumb but you'd think a judge would be able to see that a professional car driver could control a car going ~40 mph and not whip into a dude. I really dont think he was trying to kill a dude, but he was trying something for sure. Just happens he ran a dude the gently caress over.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Cubey posted:

It doesn't matter what the media narrative is, what matters is what conclusions the authorities come to.

Because the court of public opinion will wait for a verdict to be ready oh, 20 months from now?

shiksa posted:

The public at large is dumb but you'd think a judge would be able to see that a professional car driver could control a car going ~40 mph and not whip into a dude. I really dont think he was trying to kill a dude, but he was trying something for sure. Just happens he ran a dude the gently caress over.

Involuntary manslaughter, heavy civil suit penalty, no jail time is my guess.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
The sport needs to be purged of its lash-out angry toddler mentality, right down to the helmet and hans device throwing. But then again Edwards v. Keslolwski didn't do it when they put fan's lives at risk. It has never failed to celebrate retaliation. It just becomes highlight fodder, same as it always does. So in a the three years it will take to become desensitized to this tragedy, it will be included in some promo reel for your local dirt track.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

They say versus I say.

They will say deliberate, he will claim a last-ditch effort to avoid Ward with tragic and unintended consequences.

By the expert driver deliberately manipulating his back-end to fish-tail sideways, conspicuously into the victim?

Sense, does not make.

Ward was an idiot practically asking for it, but Stewart isn't some average joe driver that's going to be able to pretend he didn't know exactly what his vehicle would do.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 10, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rene Bork posted:

Stewart gunned the throttle.
Roid rage

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cubey posted:

It actually matters more. The court of law will either give him a slap on the wrist or do absolutely nothing, and likely won't have an effect beyond a year.

The court of public opinion will determine wether he has spponsors on his car next race, which basically determines whether or not he still has a racing career. Even if he gets convicted of manslaughter, if the fans think it's an accident then the fans won't ditch him, the sponsors won't ditch him, and a conviction won't really hurt him.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

ninotoreS posted:

By the expert driver deliberately manipulating his back-end to fish-tail sideways, conspicuously into the victim?

Sense, does not make.

IT WAS A TRAGIC ACCIDENT!

Dude, I'm with you. I'm just telling you that I strongly believe that Tony Stewart will not have to pay as heavy a price as you or I think he should for killing another man with his vehicle. Go look at Fox Sports or Forbes for their coverage of this crash - the words "accident", "unintentional" and "tragic" appear often.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

ninotoreS posted:

Sense, does not make.

Determining intent is hard.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This is the statement from Stewart-Haas

quote:

A tragic accident took place last night during a sprint car race in which Tony Stewart was participating. Tony was unhurt, but a fellow competitor lost his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. We’re still attempting to sort through all the details and we appreciate your understanding during this difficult time.

An accident happened at a place Tony Stewart happened to be driving

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wolfy posted:

Jesus gently caress ESPN ran the video.
Hey, they warned you it was graphic! Also I don't know how you accurately convey something like that happening in dirt track racing to the average viewer without showing the clip, because when I first heard about this I was baffled at how the gently caress you run over another driver on the race track.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

xbilkis posted:

This is the statement from Stewart-Haas

An accident happened at a place Tony Stewart happened to be driving
"Fortunately, Tony was unhurt. Sucks about that other guy though. What was his name?"

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

Dude, I'm with you. I'm just telling you that I strongly believe that Tony Stewart will not have to pay as heavy a price as you or I think he should for killing another man with his vehicle. Go look at Fox Sports or Forbes for their coverage of this crash - the words "accident", "unintentional" and "tragic" appear often.

I'm with you too, but I also think that in theory, the prosecution wouldn't struggle to make a case for voluntary manslaughter here.

As for the wording of the preliminary news reports, remember that reporting has to be very careful about defamation in a still developing situation.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Thank you Stewart-Haas for proving my point on "tragic accident". I also believe the fact that Tony killed some 20 year-old kid and not, say, a known Sprint Cup racer will have an impact on how this all plays out.

"Who did Tony hit?"
"JEFF GORDON!!!!"
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

versus

"Who did Tony hit?"
"I don't know, some kid?"
"Wow.... that sucks."

• Locked thread