Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Magugu posted:

Ive drove 360 sprints with ASCS. I think I know a thing or two about racing cars. At medium to high speeds, yes, you have to use the throttle to get through a turn. At low speeds they turn very easily, its just wobbly as hell.

There isn't a fuckload of weight on that right rear, and the ground pressure with that big tire levels it out to drat near nothing. I almost want to say that kid tried to get up on the nerf bar or something equally stupid. I never would load up on tear-offs, and by the end of the main I was always scraping mud and had the visor cracked to see, add in piss poor lighting and everything else and coming in from the blind side...

And Tony tried to mud the dude I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

If Stewart hadn't wanted to be a dick to a car he'd just helped put in the wall, he would have kept to the lower part of the track instead of drifting out wide and wouldn't have hit him in the first place.

2 very poor decisions have killed a man.

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, someone had the loving line and someone thought they could have someone back down. Put in the wall my rear end, that was a standard loving racing on dirt. Kid should have backed down and not tried to do an outside pass on the end of the corner.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you're walking on the track you're a loving idiot. I feel for the kid but come on, it was a complete boneheaded tough guy move and it got him killed. This is why when you're a kid it's pounded into your brain that you never walk close to moving cars. Apparently when you become a big shot racecar driver it stops mattering because YEAH GOTTA BE A HARDASS but really. It's stupid. Tony Stewart could have handled it better and if he gunned it to prove a point then yeah he's at fault as well but the kid put his life in a very dangerous position and met the unfortunate consequences. Bad things happen when you ignore safety, it's not always as clean and nice as person A killed innocent person B.

I'm still wondering if that kid tried to jump on the nerf bar and got sucked under.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

I know very little about sprint cars or racing in general but don't those cars have brutal blind spots as well from the wings on the end of the spoilers?

Yes.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Are cautions meaningful in this sport?

Race back to them.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

keep in mind you're also wearing that huge helmet that doesn't give you much peripheral vision.

Don't forget 14 laps of mud on your visor as well.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Glambags posted:

Pedestrians have the right of way. Checkmate, Tony Stewart apologists.

This is not true. But please feel free to try it on the road!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

ideally what will happen is the police and the DA will bring no charges, the civil suit will be settled out of court, and then when Stewart wins a race from now on mouthbreathers everywhere can scream MURDERER in unison at the top of their lungs

yet another vast NASCAR conspiracy

I hope if Ward's parents try to sue, Tony Stewart counter sues for lost points and earnings from a missed race.

Just because I want more drama.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

leica posted:

Why is everyone assuming that Tony even knew what the gently caress was going on? He could have been completely clueless until he was right on top of the guy for all we know.

There are a couple of tracks that require all pit crew people to wear white pants for that very reason. Guys wearing dark jeans and shirts getting mowwed over in the pits because the drivers can't see them walking around. Hell, I saw some race official get smacked with a push truck once.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Interesting, as one of the local sprint car drivers here was talking about this on Tuesday, and said that after watching the video a bunch of times, he thought that maybe Ward had grabbed the wing to try to jump on the nerf bar, missed and got sucked under - either badly misjudging the speed of the car, or just being a dumb kid making a terrible decision. Of course he's just one more guy speculating, but given that he's driven Sprints for 15 years (and isn't much of a NASCAR fan, to put it kindly) I thought his speculation had a bit more weight than say, Cowherd and co.

The second angle should tell the story if it doesn't pan away as the 45 car passes.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm still wondering if that kid tried to jump on the nerf bar and got sucked under.

:psyduck:

Goddamn, if I'm right, what do I win?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...vwgIaAstc8P8HAQ

Just FYI, take a look at a throttle pedal from a sprint car.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

An attaboy? :)

Do you race at Canyon Speedway, or did I just do a really good job of subconsciously channeling your post wording into someone else's spoken words in my brain?

:iiam:

It's been over 20 years since I last backed it in on a dirt track, so no. I've just seen stupid poo poo, but never this stupid before.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's also about the money.

He had everything to lose, and really nothing to gain by doing this. At least I could argue running something like "The Chili Bowl" allows one to carry a bit of prestige, and I imagine the risk is substantially lower running an event like the one where his leg broke, and the one where he...you know...killed a guy.

If he wasn't being paid millions of dollars to run cup...

If he wasn't co-running one of the top teams in NASCAR...

If he wasn't trying to build up a short track racing empire..

Then I could understand it. But he's trying to do all of those things.

For reference here's what happened to him LAST SUMMER:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/08/06/nascar-tony-stewart-breaks-leg-sprint-car-crash.html

Would you look at that, smacked a rear marker on the blind side. You'd think by now people would stop hanging around the right side of his cars.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's posts in this thread literally blaming the loving victim.

People kill themselves all the time by charging a train or semi truck, Ward is something all right, but it sure as gently caress isn't a victim.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

animeliker posted:

It was Katawa Shoujo you stupid loving oval office. I am so sick and tired of trolls.

What The gently caress dude?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

canti32 posted:

But it's not a "lower series", its a completely different style of racing. It's like saying that the AFL is a lower series of the NFL.

http://www.woosprint.com/drivers

Lots of people need to take a peek at this list here.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

the educated loaded the uneducated onto trains

:kiddo:

Gawd drat.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

Obviously you have not read this thread.

It's like pushing a shopping cart with a bad wheel wobbly.

• Locked thread