Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Punchsport games exist. This is the thread for them.

WWE Games
------------

First, the greatest game of all time:

WWE Supercard was developed by 2K and it is great. Really great. Insanely addicting. 5/5. Not joking.

~~~

In about two and a half months from the time of this posting, 2k Sports will be publishing their second WWE video game, WWE 2k15, though it's the first that could really be referred to as theirs.

WWE 2k15 has been developed by Yuke's alongside 2k's celebrated sports sim studio (and VFX powerhouse) Visual Concepts. Details about the game are just starting to trickle in at this point, and while it's not at all clear what the division of labor was, the influence of VC in the game's development is already apparent:

These images appear in sharp contrast to the level of visual quality that we'd come to expect from WWE games under their old publisher THQ.

The game modes and features are being rolled out all month on IGN and the official roster reveal panel will happen at Summerslam. Maybe they can hire JR to host it so he can get fired again. Anyway, there's little we know for sure about the game at this point, but here's the gist:

- There will be a "MyCareer" mode ala NBA2k14's, wherein you can create a wrestler and run them through a story mode that will see them go from blue chip prospect to (presumably) some sort of triumph at Wrestlemania. In a move that's upset a bunch of people, this mode will only be available on next-gen systems (ie the XB One and PS4).
- Universe Mode is still there.
- New animation and VA recordings are substantial, x5 and x4 the total amounts offered by WWE 2k14, respectively.
- There's been talk of changes to the way match lengths are handled and a greater differentiation in wrestling style. The core gameplay has been "extensively modified", but nothing has been shown yet.
- Sting is this year's preorder bonus guy. There's a special edition that's all Hogan bullshit.

Other WWE Games

There have been all-time classic WWE games and abysmal ones, and unfortunately we haven't had a game truly memorable in its core experience since Here Comes the Pain in 2003. They all followed in design from the old beloved Smackdown! games of the Playstation 1 era, but a lot of things (the models and pacing of matches, mainly) didn't age well. The lineage was so blatant that old code and some animations have survived through the series until this point. WWE 2k14 was the latest (and possibly last) in the line, and it saw a not-inconsiderable but not amazing uptick in quality from previous years - AIs provided more challenge and the endless chain reversals were replaced with more flow-preserving moves. It's plagued by some maddening technical issues (random lockups in certain menus, the inability to book 6-man bouts or set up a title match with more than 2 wrestlers), but when you're actually in the ring? It's a decent game.

Non-WWE wrestling games
------------

A lot of people talk up Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, a Japanese-made wrestling game for the PS2, and it must be good, because people are still going on about it and even now there are goons organizing AI vs. AI tournament series for viewing on PSP streaming sites. There are a lot of FPW games and the most recent is a 360 downloadable game that uses your Miiavatar. It's not any good from what I hear. Suda51, the game designer who made No More Heroes and several other bizarre and not-actually-very-good games, was behind a FPW game at some point, and I believe the game ended with a suicide. So you can't say they're resting on their laurels when it comes to new experiences in wrestling gaming.

A lot of people around here also play Total Extreme Wrestling 2013, a hardcore simulation game for the PC that allows you to act as the owner and / or booker of wrestling feds large and small. It's a very complex game (100% text and spreadsheet-based) that requires some commitment to learn, but once you get the hang of it, it gives you the opportunity to act the GM like few if any games can, playing out your crazy / stupid / smarky booking fantasies. How well you do will depend on how closely your booking matches the product definitions you set for yourself (for example, setting "hardcore product" to very low and booking a deathmatch main event won't go over well) and the chemistry (often randomly determined) that your wrestlers have with each other. You can use the (very deep and considered, with lots of continuity) "Cornellverse" fictional world database or download obsessively populated real-world rosters from different points in actual wrestling history. Do yourself a favor and resist the temptation to start booking a nationally-ranked company from the jump. Start small and learn the ropes.

Want to establish a successful puro fed stateside? You can try, but good luck. Want to take ECW and demolish WWE / WCW before Paul inevitably bleeds you dry? It's doable. Push 3MB, bury Cena (probably shouldn't, but), create an unstoppable stable of former indie darlings with wacky gimmicks like "demon hunter", "ninja" and "bad wrestler". There have been a number of good-to-amazing TEW Let's Play threads in PSP - the one going right now has goon booking teams directing and writing WWF and WCW shows during the Monday Night Wars. Ultimate Warrior seems to be pulling off his new Ultimate Lawyer gimmick and it wasn't long ago that Big Show got over quite well as a timeline-hopping version of his future self.

For the cheap among you, TEW's 2005 ancestor Extreme Warfare Revenge has some but not all of TEW's booking and convenience features and is available as freeware. People have run games off of it here as well. Rarity ran a modern-day WWE LP (archive access req'd) through EWR and it was utterly spectacular, probably the best resource on hand for demonstrating what can happen in a game like this (and when you've got goons running a game by committee).

MMA Games
------------
I've never played any of the UFC games but I'm told the most recent one is bad. That's about all I can say, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will buy 2k15, the first time I have bought a WWE game in years. And it is going to own.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
UFC 3 Undisputed had PRIDE Fighting mode and that was cool. Maybe I will upload a new FPWR save with just minor edits to some attires and stuff.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kinda curious about WWE 2k15. I kind of feel like maybe I should give a WWE game a try again. I honestly have not touched one since the N64 THQ Wrestlemania 2000.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The 360/ps3 versions being gimped and no custom music (unless there is a streaming option? can a XBone/PS4 owner verify that these consoles can stream music as a media server?) on the next gen consoles is a deal breaker for me sadly :(

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Valeyard posted:

I will buy 2k15, the first time I have bought a WWE game in years. And it is going to own.
There's no reason to expect 2k15 to "own." It's a new publisher but the same old developer, and two months away from release and they've only shown a couple of screenshots. Hell, they announced pre-order stuff before even the first screenshot was put out there. That is not an encouraging sign of a publisher with faith in their product. So far, 2k15 is following the build up of most games that turn out to be utter dreck. It's also stuck in the position of being the first title on the latest hardware, which traditionally means it'll be stripped back, load slowly, have a dodgy frame rate and be riddled with bugs.

That's not to say it can't possibly be good, but adjust your expectations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh btw if anyone can help me with this (from last thread)

quote:

Alright, so in TEW I've got a product that's key on traditionalism, heavy on mainstream and medium on realism (with a smattering of very lows in things like hardcore and and cult). I'm somewhat perplexed regarding how to get my guys gaining momentum. Essentially what I've done is classic TV wrestling stuff - I've taken face / heel pairings of my "native" talents in the main event and upper midcard to be booked as never-losers, slotted into feuds with one another, and kept the remainder of my talent as dudes who trade wins with one another and job to the high card. The thing is that no matter what I do, show to show their momentum rarely rises above E+. My fed is currently in E- popularity / prestige and D+ momentum in my home region (it's pretty young). Is worker momentum shackled to fed momentum the way show grades are shackled by popularity?

I've also got two expensive guys who are pretty well-known and good workers (Drew Mac and Homicide) in a feud also on the never-lose list, and I've been getting solid D+ shows (good enough for awesome post-show reviews) by booking one in the main event and one in the semi-main every show. I could spend a lot more money to goose the ratings with a more over undercard but I'd rather do this on the cheap.

My product rates dudes evenly on performance and popularity, and I don't know if this is screwing me and keeping my dudes who aren't popular perpetually unpopular. I am managing to slowly build up momentum on my storylines and kinda-sorta cheating with angles to make sure everyone looks good (basically going heavy on classic promos where dudes putting both themselves and their rivals over), but I haven't had any blowoffs yet so I don't know if that will help.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So while trying to play TEW on my iMac seems like it would take too much work, I looked to see if it was possible to play EWR and found this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/wukpw/ewr_as_requested_i_ported_ewr_to_mac_come_and_get/

I've found some good reviews of it, has anyone here had any luck? Would you recommend downloading and installing it to play?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

2k15 might be the game that will finally put me over buying something next-gen. Still, going to wait for reviews to trickle in before I make the decision.

John Cena posted:

The 360/ps3 versions being gimped and no custom music (unless there is a streaming option? can a XBone/PS4 owner verify that these consoles can stream music as a media server?) on the next gen consoles is a deal breaker for me sadly :(

I keep hearing that the PS4 will either patch this up, or use a stream service for music? I'm not sure, I keep getting different responses and they're never straight on. But I think the idea is that the custom music issue is known by Sony so they might be working it.

Nothing from Microsoft so far.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The music thing was something that caught Sony by surprise and they've been assuring us it will patch in since launch

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yo on the MMA side, we need to spend a few moments talking about EA UFC.
Pros:
-use the cage to do funny kicks and punches
-landing a submission is satisfying as hell
-cool blocking mechanics

Cons:
-very arcadey, expect to throw 100 strikes per round
-goofy capoeria movesets
-no cagewalking
-ref standups are spastic as gently caress
-no sprinting
-no pride mode

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Basic Chunnel posted:

The music thing was something that caught Sony by surprise and they've been assuring us it will patch in since launch
No time frame on that, though, and even if it's something added to the console later this game may well not support it as it's not been an option during development and launch. It's a safe bet for 2k16, but this year it's very unlikely to be supported.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Will probably get 2k15 for the PS4 since I haven't played any of them for a couple years. As long as I can make my custom finisher repeatedly punching and kicking a guy in the nuts as is my tradition then all will be okay.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I know there are various preorders available for 2K15, but has anyone heard anything about possible system bundles? I think (assuming the reviews are great), I'll wind up getting a PS4 for this game, but it'd be great if a bundle were going to exist to get it all at once.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

quote:

"Alright, so in TEW I've got a product that's key on traditionalism, heavy on mainstream and medium on realism (with a smattering of very lows in things like hardcore and and cult). I'm somewhat perplexed regarding how to get my guys gaining momentum. Essentially what I've done is classic TV wrestling stuff - I've taken face / heel pairings of my "native" talents in the main event and upper midcard to be booked as never-losers, slotted into feuds with one another, and kept the remainder of my talent as dudes who trade wins with one another and job to the high card. The thing is that no matter what I do, show to show their momentum rarely rises above E+. My fed is currently in E- popularity / prestige and D+ momentum in my home region (it's pretty young). Is worker momentum shackled to fed momentum the way show grades are shackled by popularity?"

- Book an E momentum guy against a guy with D momentum, and have him win. Raise a guy up the card, and try not to kill the momentum of anyone you want to be credible too badly, ie - E guy beats D+ guy. Have D+ guy beat another D+ guy the next game. Some must die so that others may live. Storyline successes and storyline popularity build momentum as well. So do heel turns. Manager pairings. Gimmick changes. Winning matches and creative builds momentum. Learn how to build momentum because otherwise you'll have a hard time bringing people up the card.

quote:

I've also got two expensive guys who are pretty well-known and good workers (Drew Mac and Homicide) in a feud also on the never-lose list, and I've been getting solid D+ shows (good enough for awesome post-show reviews) by booking one in the main event and one in the semi-main every show. I could spend a lot more money to goose the ratings with a more over undercard but I'd rather do this on the cheap.

- OK.

quote:

My product rates dudes evenly on performance and popularity, and I don't know if this is screwing me and keeping my dudes who aren't popular perpetually unpopular. I am managing to slowly build up momentum on my storylines and kinda-sorta cheating with angles to make sure everyone looks good (basically going heavy on classic promos where dudes putting both themselves and their rivals over), but I haven't had any blowoffs yet so I don't know if that will help.

- Yes. Yes it will. You can have a pretty even feud, where both guys get a big boost of momentum at the end of the story. Or you can have one where one guy gets a huge boost and the other guy isn't hurt. Or you can sacrifice one worker to put over another like a mega star. You're choice. A lot of guys wait until one worker gets a fantastic storyline rating and then pulls him. I never quite mastered that, I'd usually pull one guy at Great or whatever was after it.

At the end of the day, when you start a game the momentum is random. You can get screwed big time if you get an unlucky roll of the dice, right off the bat. It's really hard to build momentum for anyone when nobody has it.

High gimmick ratings, charisma, superstar quality, menace, these things determine how fast a guy will get over, and in a way, how you should book them to get over. Book them based off that if nobody has any momentum.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 11, 2014

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Phenix Rising posted:

I know there are various preorders available for 2K15, but has anyone heard anything about possible system bundles? I think (assuming the reviews are great), I'll wind up getting a PS4 for this game, but it'd be great if a bundle were going to exist to get it all at once.

Never gonna happen. Also thinking of upgrading to PS4 just in time, though.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Little Mac posted:

Never gonna happen. Also thinking of upgrading to PS4 just in time, though.

There's a Destiny bundle that I believe is still available that will be $450, the PS4/Controller are white and it comes with a copy of Destiny. Available on 9/9.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Destiny does not look interesting, though. :(

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I think 2k15 is probably going to be much like a lot of first year next-gen titles where its shinier and prettier and does some new stuff but will probably be pretty lacking terms of modes and content. as long as its fundamentals are better than the games have been in recent years that'll be pretty good.

looks real nice in stills, though. I thought that Orton screenshot was a photo for a second.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

More about the rivalry mode:
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/11/wwe-2k15s-historical-rivalry-mode-stars-cm-punk-shawn-michaels/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Little Mac posted:

Destiny does not look interesting, though. :(

Agree, the beta lacked suplexes.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I was wondering if CM Punk (and now, ADR) would be in. They usually lock the roster in place around WrestleMania, but have started development before then. Oh well, make the most of it, won't get this again next year...

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Wow, that's even less impressive than I expected. I understand they had/have a lot of engine work to do, and resources are probably tight, but after the last couple of years it's quite a step down.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

petewhitley posted:

Wow, that's even less impressive than I expected. I understand they had/have a lot of engine work to do, and resources are probably tight, but after the last couple of years it's quite a step down.

Yeah, but at least they confirmed Punk. :v:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
You too can experience CM Punk's failure to ever get a 100% clean victory over John Cena! I wonder if you get to pick which guy you go through the rivalry with.

The story modes seem secondary to universe mode these days which is fine. I did like the Wrestlemania moments story mode from the past game just because it was nothing but matches, no awful "drag a guy to a hidden hotspot" thing like Attitude Era mode.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The HBK/HHH feud is a bit of an interesting choice.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I can't think of a "famous rivalry" I care about less than HHH/HBK. I liked Wrestlemania mode, even if I still haven't been able to beat The Rock with John Cena yet for the last one.

I'm not upgrading to next-gen anytime soon, so I really hope Universe mode is at least in 360. And I really hope some kind of storyline ever actually happens/matters in Universe mode.

vvv But wouldn't Universe mode be in the next-gen versions, too? Or would that version be the souped-up version and the 360 would get the same ol' same ol'?

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Steve Vader posted:

I can't think of a "famous rivalry" I care about less than HHH/HBK. I liked Wrestlemania mode, even if I still haven't been able to beat The Rock with John Cena yet for the last one.

I'm not upgrading to next-gen anytime soon, so I really hope Universe mode is at least in 360. And I really hope some kind of storyline ever actually happens/matters in Universe mode.

I believe Universe will remain in 2k15, especially since feuds are next-gen exclusive so taking out Universe would leave it with only exhibition matches. I would imagine it will be relatively untouched from 2k14 though, kind of like the Madden franchise modes in old gen consoles after they start producing for next gen.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They haven't said whether universe or rivalry modes are exclusive. I'd imagine they aren't if it hasn't already been brought up. They were quick to point out that the mycareer mode was.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

They haven't said whether universe or rivalry modes are exclusive. I'd imagine they aren't if it hasn't already been brought up. They were quick to point out that the mycareer mode was.

I thought they were confirmed earlier this page or last?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm pretty sure just the Career mode was "next-gen only," but who knows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder if this means we'll get poop-brown tights Shawn from his last World title win.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In my TEW game, Chikara hired Vince Russo as their head booker. The shows seem to be doing okay for their size? C- average. He's booking himself in angles with Scott Hall. Anyway, for this crime against wrestling, Quackenbush must pay. As soon as I gain size enough to do so, I'm going to war, and Chikara shall be naught but cartoon ashes smoldering on the ground.

In my other game they actually declared war on CZW and I'm unsure who I would like to see win.

Meanwhile the empty ~American Puro~ promotion that I added for another game was bought up by Bret Hart and he's building a pretty good roster.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Eva Marie confirmed

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
'gameplay'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LWpEk7CDw

Looking good.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Yeahhhh... no animation, no buys.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeahhhh... no animation, no buys.

At first I thought this was a joke, but then someone posted an IGN link, so maybe it's not. I'm confused, but still laughing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How is this game 2 months away, and they haven't shown anything from it aside from some still images?

Anyway, IGN posted more details on how the gameplay works today

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/12/wwe-2k15-first-hands-on-ign-first?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Seems more simulation than being able to start the match with a running clothesline which we all probably are use to doing.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wonder if that means the matches are going to have a lot more close-up angles and such if you're 'lockpicking' moves each time, and then I wonder how the hell that's going to translate to Royal Rumbles and such, if you pick a guy and see through his eyes the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

More Sim than arcade is good to me, but I hope the minigame stuff is over quick cause that could get old fast.