Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Tato posted:

Just a comprehensive book taking a look at every wrestling video game ever made, up to WWE 2k18, including unreleased games, games featuring wrestlers, interviews with some developers, etc. Every game gets at least half a page, but most have several page write-ups. Just an astounding number of games I never knew existed for obscure overseas computer platforms.

this sounds cool, is it a big book? i need a coffee table book that isn’t my favorite depressing semi local artist (jack malotte)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kennel posted:

How many pages for MDickie games?

hopefully none so it pisses him off even more

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Kennel posted:

How many pages for MDickie games?

2 full pages!

quote:

Wrestling with Pixels
This project has been in the works since 2013, and I’m excited (and relieved) to say that it’s almost done. One of the reasons it took so long is because there really was a ton of stuff to cover – I think the author underestimated how much there was when he began working on this, but the end product is one of the largest color books we’ve done (over 230 pages with 115,000 words), covering over 250 games as well as other products like pachinko games, pinball cabinets, LCDs, wrestlers featured in other video games, and many other features.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wrestling-with-pixels-complete-preview-pdf-available-for-kickstarter-and-patreon-backers/

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

2 full pages!

Didn't realize they crammed literally every game he ever made into just two pages because they're just asset swaps of one-another :v:

Anyway this is great news that the book is finally coming out, for a long time I thought the project was permanently stalled out, and thus would've been the first thing I backed that never came to light, but I got my .pdf last night as well, just need some time to read it.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://twitter.com/TheShiningDown/status/1212216796700430336

Y2K20

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The ride never ends

https://twitter.com/TheShiningDown/status/1212216796700430336

https://twitter.com/newLEGACYinc/status/1212231633543274496

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
How do you even manage something like that? :psyduck:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

How do you even manage something like that? :psyduck:

Same way MLB 2k12 stopped working once the 2012 baseball season was over, causing the "play a real game from today" option to cause a crash on launch trying to find a game in the now-nonexistent schedule unless you used a .bat file to override your system date. This was on PC, no idea if it happened for consoles.

Point is 2K is bad at understanding the flow of time and its effects on game code.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Did they seriously code planned obsolescence into a video game?

:psyduck:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
God I wish we'd just gotten a PC version of WWE 2014 so I could've stopped caring about new wrestling games years ago.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Did they seriously code planned obsolescence into a video game?

:psyduck:

I think in this case it's unplanned

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

WWE (this game will stop working at the start of) 2k20

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I Before E posted:

I think in this case it's unplanned

At this point I'm not ruling out that a disgruntled dev team put that and every other insane bug in the code before being frogmarched out of the office.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That’s loving amazing. Cry laughing at that bug.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Elsewhere on the internet somebody asked 'how is this possible?' when he learned of the WWE2k20 crash bug.
I took great delight in explaining it to him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I mean they had a realistic expectation of how long people would want to play this

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Tato posted:

Just a comprehensive book taking a look at every wrestling video game ever made, up to WWE 2k18, including unreleased games, games featuring wrestlers, interviews with some developers, etc. Every game gets at least half a page, but most have several page write-ups. Just an astounding number of games I never knew existed for obscure overseas computer platforms.

But does it have the GOAT, Socko's WWF Sim?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
A pretty awesome full NXT mod for No Mercy was released on the first, one of the best MODs since the WCW Feel the Bang one

http://akilive.boards.net/thread/1026/nxt-takeover

Takuan
May 6, 2007

So it looks like 2k games actually did something right and updated the Logo Uploader to work for both 2k19 and 2k20.

And in the Fire Pro Mod world, Custom Trons are now a thing, and they're pretty simple to make, too. Really excited by this development but dreading how much time I might end up spending on them.

And more importantly:
Tonight at 8:00PM EST on W.A.V.E. Pro-Wrestling: Ayako Asami vs Busho Zetsumyona for the W.A.V.E. World Ultraweight Championship! Jimmy Stardust vs War! The Smoothboiz vs KyodAI for the W.A.V.E. Tag Team Titles! and much, much more!

https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:stare:

custom weapons, custom trons, gently caress I might have to start streaming again

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Takuan posted:

And in the Fire Pro Mod world, Custom Trons are now a thing

Holy poo poo.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

You would think that the tron videos in fire pro would be, y'know, videos. But they're not. Each video is a single image divided into segments for the frames of the animation. The downside to this is that you can't just like, throw a video file into a folder and have it work. The upside is that making simple 2-3 frame trons of alternating images is pretty simple. Something I'm looking in to is replacing the tron animations with the arena texture underneath it, so it looks like the screen isn't even there.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fire pro modding has brought a step closer to exploding dildo deathmatches

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Tato posted:

A pretty awesome full NXT mod for No Mercy was released on the first, one of the best MODs since the WCW Feel the Bang one

http://akilive.boards.net/thread/1026/nxt-takeover

what are the other good no mercy total conversion mods? These two plus nL was playing a very cool lucha underground one. I fell like there is a tna one too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Here's an odd question for the wrestling game thread... My 5 year old daughter has had an interest in fighting games, and we played WWF No Mercy on N64 the other day and she kind of got into it. Unfortunately, the game is really dated and she only wants to play as the girl wrestlers, and I only have the 1 N64 controller that works these days.

I was thinking of what other retro wrestling games we have that would be easy for her to get into, because it could be fun doing a tag team with her and beating the computer on easy. I am not a fan of the new WWE 2K games where you need to time the kick out, because even I get pinned instantly with that poo poo.

Day of Reckoning 2 on Gamecube seemed like a winner with graphics that are not horrible and at least 4 women that she can pick and mix in with the guys. And the controls seemed straight forward. I cannot remember if WrestleMania X8 was any better though, but it has a bigger Women's roster. But it's an older game I think.

I also have WWE 13 and WWE 2K16, but I can't remember which one of those doesn't have the pin kickout mini game which I hate.

I basically have a Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS3, and PS4 with enough controllers to play a game with her.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Astro7x posted:

Here's an odd question for the wrestling game thread... My 5 year old daughter has had an interest in fighting games, and we played WWF No Mercy on N64 the other day and she kind of got into it. Unfortunately, the game is really dated and she only wants to play as the girl wrestlers, and I only have the 1 N64 controller that works these days.

I was thinking of what other retro wrestling games we have that would be easy for her to get into, because it could be fun doing a tag team with her and beating the computer on easy. I am not a fan of the new WWE 2K games where you need to time the kick out, because even I get pinned instantly with that poo poo.

Day of Reckoning 2 on Gamecube seemed like a winner with graphics that are not horrible and at least 4 women that she can pick and mix in with the guys. And the controls seemed straight forward. I cannot remember if WrestleMania X8 was any better though, but it has a bigger Women's roster. But it's an older game I think.

I also have WWE 13 and WWE 2K16, but I can't remember which one of those doesn't have the pin kickout mini game which I hate.

I basically have a Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS3, and PS4 with enough controllers to play a game with her.

Been thinking on this for a couple days. Day of Reckoning 2 is probably your best bet, as the more recent you go the more complicated the controls tend to get. For a five-year-old I cannot in good faith suggest anything WWE related past the PS2 era, and even that is pushing it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ShadowedFlames posted:

Been thinking on this for a couple days. Day of Reckoning 2 is probably your best bet, as the more recent you go the more complicated the controls tend to get. For a five-year-old I cannot in good faith suggest anything WWE related past the PS2 era, and even that is pushing it.
Yeah... we played 2K16 for a while. It looks pretty and has more girl wrestlers, but I am literally doing the kick outs for her because she's horrible at them at her age. We're also getting our rear end kicked on easy mode as well because the game just controls so horribly. But it kind of works. Thought I can't figure out how to do a regular tornado tag match that is not in HIAC. WE also can't do a 10 person royal rumble, even though there are enough girls on the roster.

DOR2 is fun, and we've been making some CAWs to make the female roster a bit bigger. But it's disappointing that it has the worst roster of all the Gamecube era games, even though it's the most recent. The roster is Christy Hemme, Stacy Keibler, Torrie Wilson, and Trish Stratus. At least that game lets us do intergender stuff so we can beat down some male wrestler together.

I'm honestly wondering if 2K20 is as bad as I remember during my rental of it, because it has a women's roster of like 47 unique women without getting into DLC. I never ran into the glitches you would see posted online.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I remember 2k19 being fairly positively received by recent standards so maybe go for that one?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Astro7x posted:

I'm honestly wondering if 2K20 is as bad as I remember during my rental of it, because it has a women's roster of like 47 unique women without getting into DLC. I never ran into the glitches you would see posted online.

It's worse.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the winter stars dim,
an absence in my heart rends soul,
def jam vendetta

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Buy 2K20

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Astro7x posted:

have you considered fire pro world ? lots of characters to download and kicking out is a button press but mashing is also allowed, same for submissions

if the timing of a grapple or strikes are tricky, can turn down the difficulty i believe

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
A few years ago, on the Grey Dog Software forums, I ran a game based off of Wrestling Spirit 3 (aka the bastard child series of the Ryland combat games). I’ve been thinking of reviving that in Rowdy Ringsports and/or giving it a run in the Let’s Play section if there’s enough interest in it.

It’d end up being quite similar to this, with characters being played by the members of SA here. (Link is to the final “season” of this thing I ran back in 2014, for reference.)

In the five-plus years since I last ran this game, I’ve toyed with some different mechanics and tinkered with some of the formulas that I use behind the curtain. While I doubt I could go all-out again with a website like I did back then (when I had more free time to use Adobe Dreamweaver and FTPs to move webpages over, and a job that was more lenient with me spending my slow hours at work getting things done for this game), I think I have a way around that issue that would still let the players know exactly where they stood at all times in the game compared to others.

At this point, I’m gauging interest to see if this would be something that folks here would be interested in trying out. It’s been a while since we’ve had a game thread that I’m aware of, and this is different enough from TEW that it could be intriguing to the right crowd. I’ll answer any questions that I can without giving away too much of the behind-the-scenes information.

Consider this me casting the interest check for this project into the void of cyberspace.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it just me or is Day of Reckoning 2 total pants? It’s awful to play.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pollyanna posted:

Is it just me or is Day of Reckoning 2 total pants? It’s awful to play.

I've been having fun with it after revisiting it again.

Is it really any different than No Mercy, other than storing finishers?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ShadowedFlames posted:

A few years ago, on the Grey Dog Software forums, I ran a game based off of Wrestling Spirit 3 (aka the bastard child series of the Ryland combat games). I’ve been thinking of reviving that in Rowdy Ringsports and/or giving it a run in the Let’s Play section if there’s enough interest in it.

It’d end up being quite similar to this, with characters being played by the members of SA here. (Link is to the final “season” of this thing I ran back in 2014, for reference.)

In the five-plus years since I last ran this game, I’ve toyed with some different mechanics and tinkered with some of the formulas that I use behind the curtain. While I doubt I could go all-out again with a website like I did back then (when I had more free time to use Adobe Dreamweaver and FTPs to move webpages over, and a job that was more lenient with me spending my slow hours at work getting things done for this game), I think I have a way around that issue that would still let the players know exactly where they stood at all times in the game compared to others.

At this point, I’m gauging interest to see if this would be something that folks here would be interested in trying out. It’s been a while since we’ve had a game thread that I’m aware of, and this is different enough from TEW that it could be intriguing to the right crowd. I’ll answer any questions that I can without giving away too much of the behind-the-scenes information.

Consider this me casting the interest check for this project into the void of cyberspace.

If i don't have to do e-fed levels of upkeep then that would be fun

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Cavauro posted:

If i don't have to do e-fed levels of upkeep then that would be fun

Oh god no. I did that for years. Both as a player and for a brief time actually running a place. I wouldn’t expect anyone to put that much effort into it.

Besides, I’m the only one who should be putting that much effort into this endeavor since I’m doing the record keeping, running matches, writing, etc.

Maybe once a week, few minutes to send training, tops. As long as you’re willing to give that little effort, that’s all that’d be needed.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'd try it

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm def interested at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~