Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
+ Rowan
+ Gallows and Anderson
+ Alicia Fox
+ Jake "The Snake" Roberts
+ Curtis Axel
+ "Chad Gable "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

So battlegrounds is definitely going to have 3 types of premium currency and 4.99 character packs of like 3 dudes right? God I wish literally any other company would make WWE games.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

So battlegrounds is definitely going to have 3 types of premium currency and 4.99 character packs of like 3 dudes right? God I wish literally any other company would make WWE games.

Not that I necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but a new dev/publisher wouldn't change that element. They all do microtransactions now.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I forgot how silly random injuries could be in TEW2020; a luchador suffered a separated shoulder in a freak eyebrow-plucking accident.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Testekill posted:

I forgot how silly random injuries could be in TEW2020; a luchador suffered a separated shoulder in a freak eyebrow-plucking accident.

Putting on the goofy injuries settings is required for games like that.

In Out of the Park Baseball my closer was out for 5 days because he got hit by a train.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Putting on the goofy injuries settings is required for games like that.

In Out of the Park Baseball my closer was out for 5 days because he got hit by a train.

I had a guy suffer a career ending injury because he fell off his roof once

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/wwegames/status/1295389991518887938?s=21

2k19 servers are staying up until 2k22 releases

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Battlegrounds roster

judging by this roster and the names this dumb game has been in development for awhile lol

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

KungFu Grip posted:

judging by this roster and the names this dumb game has been in development for awhile lol

Come on, they had to have everyones favorite superstars *consults notes* Alicia Fox, Lince Dorado and the Good Brothers in the base game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

no nxt wrestlers

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

no nxt wrestlers

Rhea Ripley is on there.

So is Brian Kendrick and I don't know where he wrestles anymore.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

JOHN CENA posted:

no nxt wrestlers

Finn Balor

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was afraid that the roster was going to mainly be top tier current roster members and legends, and like 20 people tops... especially when they made that trailer with Asuka, Cesaro, Kofi, and Big E not playing as themselves.

Glad to see that the roster is fairly fleshed out. Looks like it was based off the 2K20 roster and just doesn't have NXT people except for Rhea

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Very cool that they could get AEW star Jake The Sanem.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not much to see yet on this game but the roster looks pretty dang good.

https://twitter.com/VirtualBasement/status/1298268429619621888?s=19

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Battlegrounds characters look similar to the models used in some WWE mobile games like the Bejeweled ripoff. Wonder if they included so many fired wrestlers since they already had assets created or something.

I'm looking forward to the reviews, don't understand how anyone could feel comfortable pre-ordering a WWE game for any bonuses given how bad the last two WWE games were (Also the games immediately go on sale like 50% off a week later anyway).

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If it reviews good with that roster I'm gonna prob pick it up on Black Friday.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tato posted:

Battlegrounds characters look similar to the models used in some WWE mobile games like the Bejeweled ripoff. Wonder if they included so many fired wrestlers since they already had assets created or something.

I'm looking forward to the reviews, don't understand how anyone could feel comfortable pre-ordering a WWE game for any bonuses given how bad the last two WWE games were (Also the games immediately go on sale like 50% off a week later anyway).

ehhh....19 wasn't terrible.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only halfway good WWE game I've played in the last decade was uh...SVR2011? And that wasn't even great, just fine.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

19 was fine

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

19 was good and I still play it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

19 was good and I still play it.

me too. not often but i just like booking universe mode.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's got a lot of freedom in the creation suite and I like to gently caress around with that. I find it relaxing in a way that other people probably find Animal Crossing relaxing, or doing mundane side quests in Red Dead.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's got a lot of freedom in the creation suite and I like to gently caress around with that. I find it relaxing in a way that other people probably find Animal Crossing relaxing, or doing mundane side quests in Red Dead.

I’m the same way, I spend most of my time in wrestling games making CAWs

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nowadays I'll come up with new wrestlers in Fire Pro but I'll often then go into 2k18 and do more detailed creation, give them an entrance, etc. And I do every so often go back to Universe mode to advance it by a few shows because I do like how it lets you shuffle brands.

It's just, you know, playing the matches that always slows it down.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

an ideal game has fed management of universe mode with the sim gameplay of firepro world. fire promoter is close but falls a bit short with presentation and customization. its also a little too restrictive

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nowadays I'll come up with new wrestlers in Fire Pro but I'll often then go into 2k18 and do more detailed creation, give them an entrance, etc. And I do every so often go back to Universe mode to advance it by a few shows because I do like how it lets you shuffle brands.

It's just, you know, playing the matches that always slows it down.

I've tried but don't like the Fire Pro creation suite. I just can't seem to get good-looking CAWs out of it, though I've seen other people make amazing ones.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It also manages to take an extremely long time, even compared to the 2K games which got more and more dense every year

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

It also manages to take an extremely long time, even compared to the 2K games which got more and more dense every year

This is true - in all aspects (not just creation) I feel like I'm actively fighting against Fire Pro's interface and I just don't have the bandwidth for that when I'm playing games anymore.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is true - in all aspects (not just creation) I feel like I'm actively fighting against Fire Pro's interface and I just don't have the bandwidth for that when I'm playing games anymore.

I feel that. I love making CAWs in Fire Pro but it can be a total pain in the rear end sometimes.

I got the entrance craft and thought it could be pretty cool to make some iconic entrances... Except you have to re-do the entrance for every single arena. No way of copy and pasting the entrance details because each arena has different amounts of lights, pyro, etc. Started trying to do that but it just burned me out completely on Fire Pro.

That, and trying to get custom music working. Talking about trying to fight Fire Pro on that one. It has to be a certain file type, certain length, hell even a certain bitrate! And even then, there will be something that causes the song not to appear. It doesn't tell you why, just doesn't show up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Most things about fire pro are too clever for me but the one that gets me is that you cannot predetermine outcomes (and thus have storylines, etc) in fire promoter. Or at least I could not figure out how. Perhaps i am a decadent western dog for wanting pro wrestling to be fake, though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Most things about fire pro are too clever for me but the one that gets me is that you cannot predetermine outcomes (and thus have storylines, etc) in fire promoter. Or at least I could not figure out how. Perhaps i am a decadent western dog for wanting pro wrestling to be fake, though.

Most GM/Promoter modes in games that aren't specifically about booking tend to be like this, unfortunately

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Most GM/Promoter modes in games that aren't specifically about booking tend to be like this, unfortunately

2K19 does have this, weirdly enough. You can’t set a winner during a match, which is a (here comes the) pain in the rear end, but when you skip a match on the schedule you can decide a winner.

I don’t get much out of it, though - not only do you need control of outcomes in GM mode, I think you need metrics to make booking an actual mini
game. TEW does this, FirePro has metrics but no control, HCTP also.

The dream is a game that is easier to play than TEW but allows for the same competitive mode of booking cards to top your rivals, doing the best you can with what you have in terms of roster, making your own top guys etc. I understand that HCTP came closest to this with its brand split GM mode.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basically we need a game with top guys topping one another. A vers game, if you will

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

I completely understand what you mean. I've been enjoying Fire Promoter now that I've committed most of its weird menu options to memory but the menus in that game are so god drat confusing at times.

And the CAW mode is confusing and I don't really have the patience to get good at, at least I can download characters (through a pain in the rear end website)

I'm not mad I spent the money on the game (and all the DLC) because it is pretty awesome and watching matches play out with CPU vs CPU is 100000x more interesting than watching the WWE2K CPU fight itself, but I would have loved a better menu set up or at least a second pass on the translation so things are a bit more clear.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Basic Chunnel posted:

The dream is a game that is easier to play than TEW but allows for the same competitive mode of booking cards to top your rivals, doing the best you can with what you have in terms of roster, making your own top guys etc. I understand that HCTP came closest to this with its brand split GM mode.
MDickie may not be the hero we deserve, but he's the one we need right now.

For all of its many, many, many, many flaws, his promoter/booker mode is still the most fun I've had with promoter/gm/booking games. And the career mode is second only to Socko's, which I lost a few new laptops back but proves that "rock paper scissors but punchsport" is a timeless formula, even when programmed in Basic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I actually find FPW wrestler creation way faster than WWE's. The latter I get hung up on trying to really get the look right, and you fall into the trap where it's detailed enough that you can never quite get it the way you want. (2k14 was a little easier because the graphics were a bit more cartoony.) Similarly the attires can sometimes be detailed to a fault, having specific textures that you don't necessarily want despite the overall shape being right. Whereas in FPW I can just pick a face that's sorta like what I'm going for, gently caress around with clothing layers, etc. It's abstract enough that I'm more about the concept. And of course there aren't quite as many move slots (though doing the AI arguably takes up that time.)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
The main thing is that testing a wrestler and iterating on it is much more fun in fire pro. For me at least. I can whip out a fully formed edit in about an hour. After that it's the aforementioned testing. Which could take some time.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Basic Chunnel posted:

Basically we need a game with top guys topping one another. A vers game, if you will

so it's only for Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I do with the parts were a bit deeper, horizontal stripes, but no vertical stripes, for example? I know parts creator would be helpful and eventually I'll get it, but I'm not artistic.

Creating movesets and logic, and testing them out is more fun anyway. You can have a strong edit and put on good and fun to watch matches even with lower level competition. When SaltySuplex was still running, there were some edits I couldn't stand because they seemed to be way too cheap.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 28, 2020