Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Japan_Women%27s_Pro_Wrestling:_Queen_of_Queens

Has anyone played this because it sounds amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0hLk0oXspA

its very different. soundtrack is hype tho

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm streaming more Fire Pro World tomorrow at 6 PM EDT. Check it out if you want!
https://www.twitch.tv/punkboy412

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

updating from "sounds" amazing to "is" amazing

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fellow TEW players who bought 2020; is anybody else lamented how goddamn difficult and time consuming it is to elevate people out of the 'unimportant' position. It's like the game resists your every attempt to get them over.

1) TEW 2016 had a mechanic that would let undercard workers establish at least a baseline of popularity in a bigger company just by being in matches. I don't know if that mechanic even exists in 2020 but if it does it is significantly less useful and the threshold is much lower.

2) If you try to put on a match between unimportant workers it invokes one of the most brutal match penalties in the game and inevitably turns the match into an utter disaster and nobody gains any pop.

3) If you try to put an unimportant worker over even a recognizable worker the recognizable worker will probably throw a fit about it. And even if you decide to go through with it the unimportant guy probably won't gain much pop and it might knock the recognizable worker down to unimportant in the process.

4) It feels like you almost have to use the buddy system in this situation but even then the unimportant worker just gets overshadowed half the time anyway.

There's no way for an unknown worker to hit the ground running like say, Bray Wyatt or Kane did. Having Vader destroy Inoki wouldn't work at all. There's no way to get the crowd invested in a jobber feud like Avalon and Cutler. There's no way to put on a show that showcases undercard talent like the Young Lions Cup. You can't have Will Hobbs get more popular by bodying somebody lower on the card than him. You practically have to do it by tiny degrees and it is infuriating.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

JOHN CENA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0hLk0oXspA

its very different. soundtrack is hype tho

This is delightfully early to mid 90s feeling.

Some joshi promotion should do a parody video of it

Takuan
May 6, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Fellow TEW players who bought 2020; is anybody else lamented how goddamn difficult and time consuming it is to elevate people out of the 'unimportant' position. It's like the game resists your every attempt to get them over.

A lot of design decisions in TEW 2020 seem to revolve around the idea that previous versions were 'too easy'.
Personally, I bounced off the games insanely restrictive 'product' system.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know it's one guy, but shouldn't the goal of TEW be to do what Paradox just did with Crusader Kings? Keep all the crunch the grognards love, but make a UI and tutorial that actually works so outside people play/buy/stream?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

So WWE Battlegrounds came out I guess? It's being streamed by some folks right now at least. I haven't enjoyed a WWE game in 20 years but has anyone here played it?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/TigerDriver9X/status/1306736974896812032

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

So WWE Battlegrounds came out I guess? It's being streamed by some folks right now at least. I haven't enjoyed a WWE game in 20 years but has anyone here played it?

New Legacy seem to think it plays ok and is just as chaotic as All Stars

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

ChrisBTY posted:

1) TEW 2016 had a mechanic that would let undercard workers establish at least a baseline of popularity in a bigger company just by being in matches. I don't know if that mechanic even exists in 2020 but if it does it is significantly less useful and the threshold is much lower.

2) If you try to put on a match between unimportant workers it invokes one of the most brutal match penalties in the game and inevitably turns the match into an utter disaster and nobody gains any pop.

3) If you try to put an unimportant worker over even a recognizable worker the recognizable worker will probably throw a fit about it. And even if you decide to go through with it the unimportant guy probably won't gain much pop and it might knock the recognizable worker down to unimportant in the process.

4) It feels like you almost have to use the buddy system in this situation but even then the unimportant worker just gets overshadowed half the time anyway.

There's no way for an unknown worker to hit the ground running like say, Bray Wyatt or Kane did. Having Vader destroy Inoki wouldn't work at all. There's no way to get the crowd invested in a jobber feud like Avalon and Cutler. There's no way to put on a show that showcases undercard talent like the Young Lions Cup. You can't have Will Hobbs get more popular by bodying somebody lower on the card than him. You practically have to do it by tiny degrees and it is infuriating.

I only have one long term save with CVerse going so my experience is kind of limited. But I personally haven't had many issues with the matter (I believe my product currently Episodic Sport), but my booking is extremely formulaic. Put them in tag matches with a more popular partner against expendable people in the pre-show and have them score the fall. Rinse and repeat until over enough to start winning singles. Worked for two of my biggest stars at the moment. Also, use them in good angles with "great success" in storyline progression, even if they aren't in a storyline. Yes, it's gamey, but I've had some results with it.

TEW has always been kind of iffy with repeating real-world booking patterns. "Getting over by losing" was nerfed in... 2013(?) if memory serves correctly because??? The Vader destroying Inoki situation would not work in TEW because Inoki would throw a shitfit (and just refuse to lose because he has creative control), the crowd would riot (wait...) because no one knows or cares who this gaijin with a large helmet is and the score would suffer as well! And that is a shame.

As much as I enjoy TEW, it seems that Ryland wants the game to be a puzzle to be completed his way and not a more free form booking simulator.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It is probably a product thing. In the real world mod I ran, I basically copied the AEW product and had very little issue building up jobbers into going concerns by simply booking them consistently over a matter of weeks. An unceremonious squash or out-of-the-blue win on top guys might not be ideal but the bog standard strategy of giving your guy a good, over valet / mouthpiece and wins over workers closer to his current position works. Have them take down a big(ger) name at a PPV, in a storyline, and that will put them in a good position to jump into higher echelons. Then you can strap a rocket to them.

Even then, in that mod with those product settings, I was getting relatively unknown guys strong card positions if their very first appearance in the fed was booked well. A worker with higher pop can absolutely debut in a title match and win.

But TEW is designed around the carny business of wrestling. Even workers at default settings aren't going care about your grand plans for the future of the fed, they want to get paid and they want to preserve their perceived value. So you're going to get people upset over losing. If you want to book it anyway, make them upset. If they have creative control for some reason, find another way. These are the challenges that make up the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

apparently that new Battlegrounds game only has like....6 or 7 universal movesets spread out to 100+ characters, barring their finishers? That seems like the bullet in the head for if that game would be any good. How loving lazy is that???

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

apparently that new Battlegrounds game only has like....6 or 7 universal movesets spread out to 100+ characters, barring their finishers? That seems like the bullet in the head for if that game would be any good. How loving lazy is that???

i think the intent is it's meant to be an arcade style Pick Up and Play game, so less focus on depth and more focus on wild party game action.

can't wait for GM Mode mobile app game, i've been wanting that forever.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure everyone here that wants to own all things Fire Pro World related have already done so but just in case you haven't there's a massive sale going on from 9/18 to 9/20 on Steam of Fire Pro and related DLC. Entrance Craft, Parts Craft and Fire Promoter are all 40-60% off (Move craft is already free), all other DLC except for the Takayama charity packs and the NJPW 2018 Wrestler pack are 30-70% off. And the game itself is 70% off.

newLegacy has a tweet summing it up
https://twitter.com/newLEGACYinc/status/1307049783534772224

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Angry_Ed posted:

Pretty sure everyone here that wants to own all things Fire Pro World related have already done so but just in case you haven't there's a massive sale going on from 9/18 to 9/20 on Steam of Fire Pro and related DLC. Entrance Craft, Parts Craft and Fire Promoter are all 40-60% off (Move craft is already free), all other DLC except for the Takayama charity packs and the NJPW 2018 Wrestler pack are 30-70% off. And the game itself is 70% off.

newLegacy has a tweet summing it up
https://twitter.com/newLEGACYinc/status/1307049783534772224

I actually really appreciate the heads up as it might make me bite the bullet and buy it again on PC for mods

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If anyone gets Battlegrounds with the WWE SuperCard code and doesn’t want it, could you PM it my way? Yes I still play that dumb card “game”

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I'm actually stunned to only learn just now that Battlegrounds is a 40 dollar console game with micro-transactions and not a F2P mobile game with them. Also that this was the replacement for 2K21 this year.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Apparently almost the entire roster is locked at the start, all the characters basically share 5 movesets, and (shock) the AI is incredibly broken and dumb

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/wwe_2k_battlegrounds

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I wonder if my 6 year old daughter would enjoy playing Battlegrounds with me.... does it have stupid kickout mini games, or just mash buttons?

She loves playing the older games with me, but insists on being girls... but she sucks at that kickout timing game and I have to take over for her.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Tato posted:

Apparently almost the entire roster is locked at the start, all the characters basically share 5 movesets, and (shock) the AI is incredibly broken and dumb

FORTY DOLLARS

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really wonder how they thought they could get away with just copypasting the same 5 movesets onto every goddamn character. the game is somehow legit worse than a normal 2K yearly release.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’ve no interest in it at all but I’m pretty sure that’s classic arcade design. Think more NBA Jam than… actually I can’t remember how varied the Def Jam FFNY movesets were

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How varied were the All Stars movesets?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Each wrestler had four signatures and the moves were so customizable/chainable that they didn’t repeat very much.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tato posted:

I find it really easy to believe, especially given the dated roster, that the game was mostly abandoned until 2K20 was such an amazingly terrible game that 2K said "gently caress it, this'll be our 2020 release while we try to unfuck the main series, do what you can to finish it."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’ve no interest in it at all but I’m pretty sure that’s classic arcade design. Think more NBA Jam than… actually I can’t remember how varied the Def Jam FFNY movesets were

there were like five generic movesets, and you could mix any two for an extra one (though only about a third of the mixed styles were actually good). all of the rappers had one of the preset movesets (either a single one or a mixed one) plus their own unique finisher, and I think Crow had his own unique moveset but it kinda sucked.

Battlegrounds seems to be working on similar logic, just without the unique finishers and with a slightly smaller pool of movesets

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Battlegrounds seems to be working on similar logic, just without the unique finishers

Wait, in a wrestling game?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Battelgrounds looks to be worth about $10, and it's very possible to see it at that price by Black Friday.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Matt McMuscles' take on Battlegrounds is pretty on point.

https://youtu.be/4S4f_gT_Xq0

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
https://mobile.twitter.com/WWEgames/status/1309596055948767234

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Deleted, what did it say?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Deleted, what did it say?

An in game screenshot of Charlotte coming out with someone I'm assuming was Ric as her manager and a comment about it being national daughters day.

It wasn't a flattering image.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ric was also as nude as you can be in the game iirc

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They posted another one later with him way more clothed

https://twitter.com/WWEgames/status/1309651751339917312

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ric looked like an oiled up nude goblin

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Haha i will never not be amazed at how uniquely lovely 2K20 looks

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ric looked like an oiled up nude goblin

PAC DLC skin confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Ric was also as nude as you can be in the game iirc
yeah it didn’t read as wrestling gear at all, it looked like he was just standing around in his underwear