Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Fire Pro has never and will never sell enough to be a noticeable challenge to the WWE games on the market. World has only sold like 50k last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Nothing will ever, ever change until Yuke's is fired.

Edit: For God's sake, they're still using animations from the first SmackDown! game on the PS1.

If only the animations were all that good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Edit: For God's sake, they're still using animations from the first SmackDown! game on the PS1.

I mean... they still look fine, though? Updating animations just for the sake of updating them seems like a silly direction to point their effort in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The point is more that they're still Frankensteining bullshit onto an engine that's nearly 20 years old, and Yuke's will continue to Frankenstein bullshit onto an engine that's nearly 20 years old until 2K elects to go with a different developer (:laffo: at WWE agreeing to something that would derail their yearly release cycle and that sweet licensed products revenue).

TheCool69 posted:

To nobodys suprise EA has made UFC3 a micro transaction/loot box shitshow

https://www.astutegaming.com/single-post/EASPORTSUFC3BETA

EA responded few hours ago

EA's already making plans to respond to this outcry in a different way; their CEO wants to move their yearly sports titles to a subscription model.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 10, 2017

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

I don't know this for a fact but I like to think the problems with these games are more on the dev cycle/budget then just Yukes' incompetence. They've been doing this for a really long time, they could probably make a solid wrestling game if they had the money or time to do so, but 2K's not going to give that to them for this weird niche sports game that still sells okay every year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Dudebro posted:

I don't know this for a fact but I like to think the problems with these games are more on the dev cycle/budget then just Yukes' incompetence. They've been doing this for a really long time, they could probably make a solid wrestling game if they had the money or time to do so, but 2K's not going to give that to them for this weird niche sports game that still sells okay every year.

That's a known issue with every yearly sports game. With Madden, for example, when the game finishes "testing" (lol), the team does a postmortem and identifies one big thing they'd like to add one and two years from now, and like three smaller things they want to fix from this year's version. The last few years of Madden had significant dev resource drain because of EA's mandate that all its games run on Frostbite. Because, you know, it's totally easy to make a football game work on an engine written for Battlefield.

But Yuke's is still loving incompetent.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Timby posted:

That's a known issue with every yearly sports game. With Madden, for example, when the game finishes "testing" (lol), the team does a postmortem and identifies one big thing they'd like to add one and two years from now, and like three smaller things they want to fix from this year's version. The last few years of Madden had significant dev resource drain because of EA's mandate that all its games run on Frostbite. Because, you know, it's totally easy to make a football game work on an engine written for Battlefield.

But Yuke's is still loving incompetent.

Yeah but Madden's a huge seller so they're going to throw way more money at it than they're willing to throw at the wrestling game

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Dudebro posted:

Yeah but Madden's a huge seller so they're going to throw way more money at it than they're willing to throw at the wrestling game

My point was that it's hard enough to make a yearly release that doesn't suck even when you're working with current code and technology.

WWE games will continue to be lipstick on a necrotic pig until there's a dev change.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also 2K have managed to run the 2K basketball franchise into the ground, somehow.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I guess is it better to be working on one of these yearly title and under a semi-permanent crunch time schedule because it's a solid gig that's not going anywhere, vs. working on another title and being let go once it's released and the publisher's trying to avoid paying out bonuses?

answer :capitalism:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The problem is that a two year development cycle is not going to sell twice as many games.

I am honestly surprised they are not trying to shoehorn an arcade style game mid cycle like what they did with WWE Allstars.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Astro7x posted:

The problem is that a two year development cycle is not going to sell twice as many games.

I am honestly surprised they are not trying to shoehorn an arcade style game mid cycle like what they did with WWE Allstars.

Because those sell even less. All-Stars was fun for a short amount of time and the endless reversals system was nifty.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

EA's already making plans to respond to this outcry in a different way; their CEO wants to move their yearly sports titles to a subscription model.

This isn't the stupidest idea I've ever heard and may signal the next thing for gamers to complain about after loot boxes.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

unimportantguy posted:

Fire Pro has never and will never sell enough to be a noticeable challenge to the WWE games on the market. World has only sold like 50k last I heard.

that's apparently more than what 2K18 has sold on steam apparently

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

dont even fink about it posted:

This isn't the stupidest idea I've ever heard and may signal the next thing for gamers to complain about after loot boxes.

Madden, NBA 2K, and WWE 2K would all be prime candidates for it. $7.99 a month or whatever and they upgrade you to the new version of the engine for the new season or whatever. WWE season ends at Mania.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Kvantum posted:

Madden, NBA 2K, and WWE 2K would all be prime candidates for it. $7.99 a month or whatever and they upgrade you to the new version of the engine for the new season or whatever. WWE season ends at Mania.

I feel like this would be like WWE with the Network: the new model makes sense, except when it comes to the financial aspect. I imagine there's not enough new buyers to make up for the loss from people who previously spent $60 on the full game only paying for 3 months sub

That's exactly what I'd do with the NHL game I buy every year anyway

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

triplexpac posted:

I feel like this would be like WWE with the Network: the new model makes sense, except when it comes to the financial aspect. I imagine there's not enough new buyers to make up for the loss from people who previously spent $60 on the full game only paying for 3 months sub

They'd probably sell it for $9.99 / month with a 6-month commitment.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

The point is more that they're still Frankensteining bullshit onto an engine that's nearly 20 years old, and Yuke's will continue to Frankenstein bullshit onto an engine that's nearly 20 years old until 2K elects to go with a different developer (:laffo: at WWE agreeing to something that would derail their yearly release cycle and that sweet licensed products revenue).

That's almost a good idea. Like I would prefer there being more than one of a given sport game out there and so have variety and quality but the value of the licenses means that won't happen anytime soon.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Timby posted:

WWE games will continue to be lipstick on a necrotic pig until there's a dev change.
This is untrue for two reasons. One, publishers won't put time and money into a new codebase, it's not worth it for them. And two, when you've got a codebase this old and this mutated from its origins, the people working on it are, more than likely, the only ones who can make sense of the pipeline. The current course is the only rational one for 2K. It has to be this engine and it has to be this developer. Switch engines and you're in for a huge cost sink. Switch developers and they'll be paralyzed by the kludge.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
And like 2k15, it would be barebones most likely and everyone would complain even more :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

In this years 2k18 there are 46 new wrestlers. If instead of putting out a new game this year, they just released the wrestlers over a period of approx one a week, and charged, say 1.99 for each person, that's almost a hundred bucks right there. It could give them a extra year to work on developing the game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Davros1 posted:

In this years 2k18 there are 46 new wrestlers. If instead of putting out a new game this year, they just released the wrestlers over a period of approx one a week, and charged, say 1.99 for each person, that's almost a hundred bucks right there. It could give them a extra year to work on developing the game.

You underestimate the people that buy this game for $60, buy the season pass, gently caress around with it for a month, and then move onto the next game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is untrue for two reasons. One, publishers won't put time and money into a new codebase, it's not worth it for them. And two, when you've got a codebase this old and this mutated from its origins, the people working on it are, more than likely, the only ones who can make sense of the pipeline. The current course is the only rational one for 2K. It has to be this engine and it has to be this developer. Switch engines and you're in for a huge cost sink. Switch developers and they'll be paralyzed by the kludge.

Fine, I will revise my statement: WWE games will continue to be lipstick on a necrotic pig.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I place no value whatsoever on the roster and make CAWs.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The "games as a service" thing doesn't really work when you're also cranking out yearly full price releases... the loot box situation gon' be uuuuuuugly for 2K19

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81xptqjjvmQ

:shittypop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjWXqvWezyY

:chanpop:

fire pro can put on some insanely dope matches

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ok so WWE 2K17 still has some life in it. I decided to put together an all women's Universe and the first match on the first show is Asuka vs Bayley.

Ivory walks out to annoy Asuka. At some point after the cut scene where Asuka left the ring and was clotheslined from behind, Ivory just decided to join the match and it turns into a handicap vs Asuka because the Ref is just WELPing all over the place with regard to rules I guess.

Bayley also removed two turnbuckle covers because apparently Bayley wants to turn heel.

Then Ivory decks Bayley and it becomes Ivory and Asuka vs Bayley. And round and round it went.

This went on for like a half hour until Asuka stopped loving around and tapped Bayley.

Watching the computer Sim matches is kinda hysterical

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Man 2K18 is really just a joyless affair. This game without DLC should be like 20 bones at the most. Its an outstanding set of creation tools (that they really screwed up this year without allowing free body morphing to make freaks) that you can't do anything with. Almost all of it is locked for use in career mode without tons of grinding.

I'm usually more positive about these games than most but this year is the first that just makes me sad about where the product is going.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/FireProWorld/status/940422242386698240

More Details from the Twitch Stream:
Leaving Early Access on the 19th! So they can focus on the PS4 version. There will be a 33%-off sale from the 19th until January 5th, before a final price raise to $30.

Management mode will be based on Final Fire Pro's, with 14 different promotions with at least six wrestlers each duelling for supremacy. Management mode will be the first of two paid DLCs. There'll be a season pass to get both DLCs for a good price, but they won't talk prices until January.

There will be an official Yoshihiro Takayama charity DLC on the 18th. It'll cost $3 and get you an official licensed Takayama character and a new move, Spirit Rush Punch. All proceeds will go to Takayama's charity foundation to help him with rehab. This won't be part of the season pass for obvious reasons.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 12, 2017

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The Spirited Punch Rush is the Frye/Takayama clinch punches btw. The Management mode means 14 of your own promotions. You'll need at least 160 characters because that includes free agents??

Also there is some interesting news they have that will have to wait in January though for their next stream. Everyone got excited in the chat, but the director told us all to be Tranquilo.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 12, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is the 14 promotion count a minimum or a maximum?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Is the 14 promotion count a minimum or a maximum?

The only option. I think. Minimum at most. A promotion needs at least 6 people is what I think they said

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So is it like a competitive GM thing like TEW or strictly an autobooker thing? Is it treated as a shoot or can you arrange results beforehand?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

So is it like a competitive GM thing like TEW or strictly an autobooker thing? Is it treated as a shoot or can you arrange results beforehand?

Going on history, it's a shoot, brother.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So glad to have this information. I had a feeling the game was close to done but it's good it'll be out before year's end- capping off a HELL of a year for video games in general.

And management sounds fun.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Can someone explain the management at all? Is it just booking, or a universe kind of thing?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

simosimo posted:

Can someone explain the management at all? Is it just booking, or a universe kind of thing?
From the stream summary the FPA dudes wrote up:

quote:

In a nut shell, it's a mode where you get to manage your own wrestling promotion. You want to raise talent and book matches to increase the size and scope of your promotion. There's all different kinds of ways how you can grow your promotion. Putting on good matches is the bedrock but there's all sorts of other little stuff like signing broadcast contracts, finding new talent or maybe even stealing talent from other promotions. If you do steal talent, you have to be careful since you can build up animosity with another promotion. You can also partner up with other promotions and do cross-promotional matches and things like that.

To give you the scope of the mode...you need to have 14 other promotions and each promotion has to have a minimum of 6 wrestlers signed. Which means you need a bare minimum of 100 wrestlers to begin the mode. Personal created wrestlers and Steam Workshop wrestlers work in this mode. Dave made a mistake. You also need free agents so you'll probably need a minimum of 150 wrestlers. So if you're the person who'd be interested in management mode, you'll probably have far more than 150 wrestlers. Director clarifies. This is more like creating your own wrestling alternate reality.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
That's loving incredible.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Crikey, that sounds good. Let's hope they can pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Sensible World of Wrestling