Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Just saw an interesting 2K18 glitch on nL's universe stream. Becky Lynch beat Carmella then after the match Carmella got attacked by a ghost and Becky ran said ghost off.

It's .... it's certainly something that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Testekill posted:

Just saw an interesting 2K18 glitch on nL's universe stream. Becky Lynch beat Carmella then after the match Carmella got attacked by a ghost and Becky ran said ghost off.

Ghost Problems!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Don't worry, it was just John Cena

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is what I meant by randomized earlier. Destiny is a game feature and is always turned on, full stop. However, if you look at an individual worker in a database, you can see where they have an actual starting potential rating that can be set to none, low, medium, or high, and it has an effect on variance of their stats/caps as separate from the hidden "destiny" modifier.

Yeah, I checked their 'potential' settings, of the ones I checked, they were all set to 'random'.
I just never quite got how 'Destiny' was different than 'potential' mechanically speaking.

Edit: La Parka and Terry Funk have great chemistry as a tag team. This makes me very happy.
Also Rey Mysterio Jr. and Dave Taylor, but that's more of a curiosity.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 19, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Potential is about the degree to which their skills can improve, whereas destiny is about what the “floor” of their popularity is, iirc. That is, a character with high destiny will reach a high overness and stay there even when they’re not given a Hogan “win every match” push (or are out, as with injury or taking time off). I think you can still bury them but they’ll recover more easily.

As I understand it, the way you determine destiny is the Next Big Thing tab in fed overview. There’s a post on the TEW forums that goes over how to read those tea leaves (I think the game will only evaluate workers with midcard pushes and below)but I can’t remember where it is. All I remember is that “born to be the face of a company” indicates 90+ destiny. Those are the guys you want to build up to the high card.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah I've read and utilized that post extensively. I just figured that was part of potential.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Testekill posted:

I thought that was loving hilarious. Watching them break 2K18 has certainly been more entertaining than playing that pile of garbage would've been.

almost as great was SURPRISE BRIAN KENDRICK on the SD episode afterward

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 20, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The recent 2k games are a sizable improvement over past years in all but one thing, they are still not very fun to play at all.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The loading times alone have reached Sonic '06 proportions. Like I'd honestly put up with a lot of this poo poo more easily if every single thing didn't require a progress bar.

(Yeah, I bought this thing. It was on sale. I know that is no excuse.)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Testekill posted:

It's just CIWW superstar The Invisible Man.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So that WCW 2000 game probably just torpedoed.
Long story short: TNT and TBS won't negotiate with me, but because I'm under the Time Warner Media Group I can't negotiate with anybody with conflicting coverage.
Now I can edit things so TNT and TBS will negotiate but even then neither does PPVs and I can't negotiate with a PPV broadcaster in any region with conflicting coverage.
My lone option here seems to be to rewrite TNT and TBS to cover nowhere then make deals with other networks.

Or I can play the more polished WCW Lives mod, which is actually designed for TEW 2016 and is a better mod overall.
Torpedoes my plans of counter-programing WM 17 with La Parka winning the world title though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah there are certain things in TEW that are realistic, but add nothing. Having networks not negotiate with you is one of them, it’s no fun being stuck on one network with no escape

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its tough converting an old mod to 16 because so much changed, especially with the whole tv, ppv, and media system. That just got a total rework so any converted mod is going to be a mess. I have a personal massive mod I converted and it took forever for me to fix the broadcasters into a somewhat workable game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well I banished TNT and TBS to Australia and am continuing the mod with lesser television deals.
Maybe too lesser. I might not be able to make enough money off these deals to pay all these idiotic contracts.
Piper and Savage are gone though, that should be some relief. I don't know if it will be enough.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Is there a half decent guide anywhere for what TEW wants you to book/do for a good match/card? Spending like 4 hours talking wrestling with an old friend has me wanting to try it again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's going to depend on what your product definition is. A sports entertainment product is going to be graded roughly 75% on the popularity of the workers involved and 25% on workrate (not a scientific estimate), with substantial bonuses / penalties for worker chemistry. A PWG or puro product is going to be the opposite. Workers' pop will, as a general rule, move based on the average rating of their matches and the angles they are active participants in (meaning, angles in which they are judged on something).

In terms of whole cards, most of your overall rating is going to come from your two highest-rated matches, which are judged as the main and semi-main regardless of where they are on the card. That way, you can run low or no-heat matches between less over dudes and it won't kill your shows. But if you throw too many matches in there, it will start to pull down the ratings.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of feel like the best way to figure that out is to set all your notes to be readable, book a show, run it, read all the notes, and then close the game without advancing past the final show page. Then load it back up again and run the show again after making changes based on what the notes said, and follow the same process. Do that until you get a good show and/or think you're understanding the game mechanics.

Like, it can be hard to know how much is too much for booking a guy or how to balance your matches to keep the crowd in or what to make the matches focus on. So doing a few trial runs with the same basic card kind of helps me make some sense of it.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I've got a Raw Deal case chock full of old cards, with decks like Bischoff and Christian, etc. Would anyone be interested? I can take pictures later, if you want.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Writer Cath posted:

I've got a Raw Deal case chock full of old cards, with decks like Bischoff and Christian, etc. Would anyone be interested? I can take pictures later, if you want.

I sent you a PM so we don't clog up the thread too bad.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Now that I think of it, the local game shop here in town (Millennium Games in Rochester, NY) claimed to be the #1 seller of Raw Deal in the entire country about 10 years ago. I always kind of wondered if that was true.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Raw Deal was a legit great system that eventually got bogged down with a shitload of modifiers and mechanics but I still think some kind of digital mobile card game for that system would be fantastic

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I miss when you could buy a Yu-Gi-Oh! style game on DS before microtransactions were huge and you just unlocked all the cards through free boosters in game. Now you'd have to buy a pack with cash to have better than a .0001% chance of pulling Triple HHH or whatever.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DLC Inc posted:

Raw Deal was a legit great system that eventually got bogged down with a shitload of modifiers and mechanics but I still think some kind of digital mobile card game for that system would be fantastic

WWE taking something fun and over complicating it to the point of irritating everyone? Are you sure we're talking about the same company?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
My understanding was that the Raw Deal design and development guys would regularly ignore playtester feedback, leaving to the embarrassing clusterfuck that it became. Fun game while it lasted though.

The card titles were super fun to read out to. My girlfriend and I would go to game shops and play Raw Deal games sometimes and people would get interested when I would whip out my Chris Jericho deck and start playing cards like You Sanctimonious Son of a Bitch.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh, and the fanboyism.
RTC was the best Superstar(s) in the game for a stretch because the head designer and his friend were huge Stevie Richards fans.
Years later Andre would come out and it would read and play like somebody's superpowered OC in card game form.

My friends were huge into Raw Deal (like 'go to Gencon in 2001 and win every tournament' huge). They even did a bit of QA down the road for them. They have stories.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 24, 2018

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ChrisBTY posted:

Years later Andre would come out and it would read and play like somebody's superpowered OC in card game form.

To be fair, this is also true in both real life and wwe canon

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

ChrisBTY posted:

My friends were huge into Raw Deal (like 'go to Gencon in 2001 and win every tournament' huge). They even did a bit of QA down the road for them. They have stories.
You can't post something like this and not give us story time. :justpost:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
How long was Raw Deal in print? I heard about it when it first came out, but nothing beyond one or two expansions.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I think it was like 1999-2004. The last thing I remember was the publisher basically rebooted the game with a second edition.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Did anyone else play With Authority! back in the day?

I remember wasting like £20 on it when that was a month’s allowance, and losing all the time

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

I remember wasting like £20 on it when that was a month’s allowance, and losing all the time

I played a ton of it when it was WAP2P. That way you had all of the cards which enabled some pretty impressive deckbuilding. I was really bad at it, though.

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

You can't post something like this and not give us story time. :justpost:

Oh hey Raw Deal talk. I definitely have stories. I'm going to tell them as if you all actually know the mechanics of Raw Deal somewhat.

So as for being playtesters we didn't do much. Started out as an "in the elevator at GenCon suggestion to Barron Vangor Toth (the lead designer) about one of his cards in his upcoming tins called "Brothers of Destruction" It was 7 handsize, 4 SSV with the ability "once per turn instead of drawing a card from your deck you make take one card from your discard pile and put it in your hand". We told him that that would lead to The Undertaker and Kane turning into a turtling control deck and that's just stupid. We suggested you had to burn two cards from the top of your deck, which he liked and kept and we stuck around as actual playtesters for the Mania set, but the "playtesting" was pretty haphazard and BVT didn't like to listen to critisizim of his product much so we were quietly let go the next set.

Most of our stories come from GenCon '01 and GenCon '02 which include:

Our friend Rob (who is at best mediocre at card games) winning the first tournament at GC (98 people total).
Our best player Mike Canu winning the next bye tournament and going on to win not only GenCon but the first world championship at WMX8
Our team beating Team Canada in a Survivor Series challenge. (one of my favorite alternate formats of the game)
My tag partner John and I winning a 46 team tag tournament for the Tag Team chapmionships at GenCon '02.

The game was a ton of fun and I really wish they had switched to a rolling format sooner (Survivor Series 3 would have been the ideal time). John and I tried to create an updated remake of the game and even pitched it to a local game distributor, but the license is a bit of a byzantine nightmare at the moment. I've heard Xavier Woods wants to do a iOS version of the first two sets but havne't heard anything about it since.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh, and the fanboyism.
RTC was the best Superstar(s) in the game for a stretch because the head designer and his friend were huge Stevie Richards fans.

lol I am gonna need elaboration on this because it sounds amazing. I never knew Steven Richards was an OP card set.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's hard to explain without knowing the specific mechanics of the game.

Basically RTC came out in the 3rd Raw Deal set, Backlash. Their deal was they couldn't use Face/Heel cards, which were powerful subsets of cards in the set. But they had a super-powerful, always available reversal and the ability to cycle their hands every single turn plus probably a few more powerful tricks that I can't remember because it was 17 years ago.

So RTC emerged as the front-runner among all of the Raw Deal Superstars at this point. At which point Baron (the lead designer), responded by giving them another super powerful card that allowed them to prevent their opponent from playing a named card of their choice at the beginning of the game. Which was sort of the Kevin Durant to RTC's Golden State Warriors. So they became even more powerful.

Also, At WM 19 Axxess they held the Raw Deal invitational world championship, where the champions of the first two GenCon events (Including our guy Mike Canu) and two other guys competed to be Raw Deal world champion. But Barron decided that no two players at this event were allowed to play the same superstar. So the guy who had first dibs on a Superstar chose RTC and won. This caused Canu to leave the game entirely in disgust.

All this because Barron was a big Stevie mark and his best friend was Stevie's webmaster at the time.

(I should add this: we all liked Barron as a person, we just thought he was not a good designer)

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

It's hard to explain without knowing the specific mechanics of the game.

Basically RTC came out in the 3rd Raw Deal set, Backlash. Their deal was they couldn't use Face/Heel cards, which were powerful subsets of cards in the set. But they had a super-powerful, always available reversal and the ability to cycle their hands every single turn plus probably a few more powerful tricks that I can't remember because it was 17 years ago.

So RTC emerged as the front-runner among all of the Raw Deal Superstars at this point. At which point Baron (the lead designer), responded by giving them another super powerful card that allowed them to prevent their opponent from playing a named card of their choice at the beginning of the game. Which was sort of the Kevin Durant to RTC's Golden State Warriors. So they became even more powerful.

Also, At WM 19 Axxess they held the Raw Deal invitational world championship, where the champions of the first two GenCon events (Including our guy Mike Canu) and two other guys competed to be Raw Deal world champion. But Barron decided that no two players at this event were allowed to play the same superstar. So the guy who had first dibs on a Superstar chose RTC and won. This caused Canu to leave the game entirely in disgust.

All this because Barron was a big Stevie mark and his best friend was Stevie's webmaster at the time.

(I should add this: we all liked Barron as a person, we just thought he was not a good designer)

Chris, the card you're really forgetting is Right To Interfere, which was a 0F 7D midmatch reversal that reversed any maneuver as long as you were behind in fortitude. It was way worse than any of their other BS.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I had no idea about this game until I went to an estate sale and saw these cool tins I thought would be great for Commander boxes. Turns out they were full of Raw Deal cards. I went online and found out people are still making sets through, I dunno, proxy cards or something, and still have tournaments and stuff. I wanna learn it and try playing it at least once, but haven't gotten around to it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ChuckBTY posted:

Chris, the card you're really forgetting is Right To Interfere, which was a 0F 7D midmatch reversal that reversed any maneuver as long as you were behind in fortitude. It was way worse than any of their other BS.

That was the 'super powerful, always available reversal' I was talking about.
Censorship Match was just the icing on the cake.

Takuan posted:

I had no idea about this game until I went to an estate sale and saw these cool tins I thought would be great for Commander boxes. Turns out they were full of Raw Deal cards. I went online and found out people are still making sets through, I dunno, proxy cards or something, and still have tournaments and stuff. I wanna learn it and try playing it at least once, but haven't gotten around to it.

Oh gods, don't look at those fan sets. It's worse than looking in the arc of the covenant.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Once of you guys needs a real avatar so I can tell you apart

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

St Evan Echoes posted:

Hell yeah, I never put any money into it but I had a gimmick Shane McMahon deck that wasn't very good, but was set up to get some miraculous late-game draws to come from behind. When I would pull it off against a pay to win guy the immediate flaming in the chat was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TEW 10 is in a $1 bundle with a bunch of other (probably terrible) games if anyone is interested in an incredibly outdated version of the game

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/dollar-viva-bundle

e: WMMA 3 is also in this bundle (the current release is wmma 5)