Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's looking like the way that works is by combining existing move animations, but it's still neat.

EDIT: top of page, might as well show it:

https://twitter.com/newLEGACYinc/status/978207102295527426

https://twitter.com/TheBaileyAce/status/978215045283762176

Sounds like it was a real challenge to figure out though so it'll probably remain a secret as to how they discovered how to do this but that mod pack has 100 new moves. Also they seem kinda tetchy about letting anyone outside of Fire Pro Arena know it even exists but nL already tweeted about it so whoops.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i think the only real secret thing is the mod that lets you make the moves because it lets you inside the guts of the game

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I just saw on nl's twitter that fire pro people have figured out how to mod moves into the game now??? Crazy

There are 100 moves now - the yes kicks, 4 or 5 superkicks, two Hammerlocks, Styles DDT, corner to center v-trigger, a bunch of rain aka ripcord moves.

They also figured out how to assign multiple moves to one move slot which is so daunting I don't know where to start.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
The move thing is complicated enough that at least one modder just posts goatse at anybody who asks how it's done.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Sad but not unexpected, Promoter Mode pushed back to focus on the PS4 version.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Now Super Duper glad I didn't drop money on this in January.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

PublicOpinion posted:

Sad but not unexpected, Promoter Mode pushed back to focus on the PS4 version.

Frustrating, but given how much of a small project (and thus small budget) this is for spike the PS4 release is probably more important from an income perspective.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Do the marks at chunsoft think that people will buy this on ps4

Give me booking mode marks

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

From what I understand the past games did quite well on consoles.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 27, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What what I understand the past games did quite well on consoles.
Also, the Japanese console market is quite a bit larger than the Japanese PC gaming market.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What what I understand the past games did quite well on consoles.

Depends on your definition of doing well. We're talking hundreds of thousands of copies, not millions.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I mean i bought Fire Pro on ps3 and my only concern for buying this on ps4 would be if all the edit guys will be available.

But still, give me booking mode. Marks. Cater to me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Do the marks at chunsoft think that people will buy this on ps4

Give me booking mode marks

Yes, because I don’t have a way to run it on computer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

Now Super Duper glad I didn't drop money on this in January.

I mean, the game as is, is excellent. It's not incomplete or anything. (UI could stand to be more accessible for the first time player though.)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I was looking forward to a more focused gameplay experience but I got what I paid for. I've only started poking at the mods a little because I don't want to get too attached to things that will get broken with a patch, but what they've done is highly encouraging for the game's life after official support ends.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I havent modded the game yet because booking Nick Diaz vs Super Shredder is still fun enough

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I'll wait after Management eventually comes out to dig into the Carlzilla stuff just in case there's any compatibility issues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DdMSK-Z-Dg

Asuka on UUDD! I hope she keeps the gimmick alive and wins this tournament.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gaz-L posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DdMSK-Z-Dg

Asuka on UUDD! I hope she keeps the gimmick alive and wins this tournament.

Xavier trying to keep a straight face and ultimately failing when doing the intro of Big E and Kofi is great

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Xavier trying to keep a straight face and ultimately failing when doing the intro of Big E and Kofi is great

Big Wool broke the entire room.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
well... I caved. WWE2k18 was like 60% off on the PS4 store and I miss playing pretty princess dressup with my wrestledolls.

I haven't owned a WWE game since 2k14. The gap between how great the graphics look versus how shallow the gameplay is is pretty wild. Ultimately, I enjoy designing characters and playing gimmick matches, but I would kill for a FPWW CPU logic engine under the hood. FPWW is a hoot to play but everything looks samey with no oomph to the moves. 2k18 looks great but the gameplay is samey (and weirdly, little oomph to the moves).

Is this the curse of Eden, to never have a perfect wrestling game? :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Imo I think better sound effects would add to FPWW's "oomph".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mary had a little clam posted:

well... I caved. WWE2k18 was like 60% off on the PS4 store and I miss playing pretty princess dressup with my wrestledolls.

I haven't owned a WWE game since 2k14. The gap between how great the graphics look versus how shallow the gameplay is is pretty wild. Ultimately, I enjoy designing characters and playing gimmick matches, but I would kill for a FPWW CPU logic engine under the hood. FPWW is a hoot to play but everything looks samey with no oomph to the moves. 2k18 looks great but the gameplay is samey (and weirdly, little oomph to the moves).

Is this the curse of Eden, to never have a perfect wrestling game? :smith:

It's amazing actually. The gameplay is shallow but also needlessly complicated that you don't want to just pick up and play a few matches either.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's still the drat reversals. Limiting them didn't really solve the problem that they're your only way to react to what the other player is doing (apart from a few specific interactions like chain wrestling and carries.) If you're out, you just have to lie there and take it until you recharge. FPWW avoids this by A) making reversals be more about the other person trying something they shouldn't and B) having every grapple be an opportunity to do a thing. (It also cuts down on selling vs 2k which I'm told is more a Japanese wrestling thing- you don't take a few seconds on the ground for every bit of offense the other guy does to you.)

The paradox is I've heard some people say that FPW is more a simulation of wrestling while the WWE games are more arcadey, but where the 2k games fall down is trying to rigidly recreate things like the selling of moves and the importance of counters, and being beholden to their motion-captured animations of moves, etc.

What stands out are the weird moves they made outside of the wrestling game itself- like I understand they're working with a pile of old code that they have neither the time nor the money to throw out and rebuild from the ground up, that's just the way that is. But- why does going between menus take so much loading time? Why can't I filter wrestlers by brand when booking a match in Universe mode? Why can't I use letters in the "group images" thing to make a standardized logo? All this weird little stuff which I can't blame on the engine or WWE's brand control.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically the WWE games peaked in like 2003 and it's been iffy at best since then. Motion capture turned out to be a huge mistake, it makes the animations look worse, not better, and removes some of the appealing cartoony aspect. You can't realistically motion capture a guy taking a really stiff arm drag, and several of the moves are just plain wrong in motion capture. The Here Comes the Pain big boot off the ropes alone looks a million times stiffer and more fun than anything going on in say 2007-onward. The powerbombs and other big power moves are brutal.

The motion on everything is fluid and most importantly fast.

The games are getting slower and slower-paced with each new release and now it feels like you're wrestling in Jello. There's not that many transitional animations, so within like a day the game feels like a predictable plod through the motions and the only real appeal is the dressup. If you don't have friends to play it with it's... Not great.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Maxwell Lord posted:

But- why does going between menus take so much loading time? Why can't I filter wrestlers by brand when booking a match in Universe mode? Why can't I use letters in the "group images" thing to make a standardized logo? All this weird little stuff which I can't blame on the engine or WWE's brand control.

When you're dealing with the kind of codebase 2K seems to have on their hands, doing *anything* to it is going to take many times longer than it should be. If you consider they're probably prioritizing all the issues, and then cutting everything in the bottom half until the next year, that's probably why these small quality of life changes are never getting done. It's not really an issue of "boy this one system is kinda lovely" it's "everything is bad and iteration times are so slow it is hard to make any meaningful change."

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I've played a bit of 2K18 since my brother got it, and the reversals/finisher kickouts combined with how slow and clunky the gameplay is are just too much for me. By and large, I just like to beat up people and do goofy poo poo on wrestling games, and the Smackdown games up through HCTP were awesome for that.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

2k18 career mode would have been great if it didn't force you to sluggishly jog around backstage before every match (and in the beginning, there's like a point where you don't even wrestle for a bunch of matches, just run around and talk to someone.)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I miss being able to chuck people out of the ring with random moves.

I also wish that there was a fun version of RAW 2's season mode

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Testekill posted:

I miss being able to chuck people out of the ring with random moves.

I also wish that there was a fun version of RAW 2's season mode

I miss the entrances most of all. From importing theme music from the hdd, tweaking lighting colours / effects, niceley transitioned character motions, to all the words you could chain together during entrances for the announcer to call you. Never again have I experienced Amazing Evil Ninja Bossman, locker room bag tamperer and master of the backstage crate drop.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

dont even fink about it posted:

Basically the WWE games peaked in like 2003 and it's been iffy at best since then.
Pretty much, yeah, with the exception of Smackdown vs. RAW 2006 which I think is the second best game in the series after HCTP. It kept some of the annoying gimmicky poo poo from the first SD vs. RAW like the face/heel meter (Want to play as a heel with high-flying moves? Well gently caress you, you'll never gain any momentum) but the stamina system was a great addition and it's the last game in the series to allow for long back-and-forth matches, with Last Man Standing in particular usually turning into the Kevin Steen/Super Dragon Guerrilla Warfare match. The roster was terrible because this was a WWE game from 2005, but CAWs made up for that at the time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

super macho dude posted:

2k18 career mode would have been great if it didn't force you to sluggishly jog around backstage before every match (and in the beginning, there's like a point where you don't even wrestle for a bunch of matches, just run around and talk to someone.)

That's what I hated about the SYM career mode. Just give me a list of people to "talk" to, then teleport me there.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

dont even fink about it posted:

Basically the WWE games peaked in like 2003 and it's been iffy at best since then.

Peak wrestling game is WWF Raw on SNES because the game let you play against your friends as Doink and just constantly drop kick them out of the ring over and over until they punch you IRL.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

FullMetalJackoff posted:

I miss the entrances most of all. From importing theme music from the hdd, tweaking lighting colours / effects, niceley transitioned character motions, to all the words you could chain together during entrances for the announcer to call you. Never again have I experienced Amazing Evil Ninja Bossman, locker room bag tamperer and master of the backstage crate drop.

Or the times when the person who was supposed to interfere in a match on your behalf started beating you up instead, because the AI was borked and never targeted your opponent. :laugh:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Or the times when the person who was supposed to interfere in a match on your behalf started beating you up instead, because the AI was borked and never targeted your opponent. :laugh:

Or when your enemies will interfere to help you win. Raw 2 was a bad game but at least it was super amusing.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

Pretty much, yeah, with the exception of Smackdown vs. RAW 2006 which I think is the second best game in the series after HCTP. It kept some of the annoying gimmicky poo poo from the first SD vs. RAW like the face/heel meter (Want to play as a heel with high-flying moves? Well gently caress you, you'll never gain any momentum) but the stamina system was a great addition and it's the last game in the series to allow for long back-and-forth matches, with Last Man Standing in particular usually turning into the Kevin Steen/Super Dragon Guerrilla Warfare match. The roster was terrible because this was a WWE game from 2005, but CAWs made up for that at the time.

Would it be worth it to go find an old copy today? I still have a PS2 that I play on now and again, but I never tried any wrestling games in the time between the N64 games and WWE13

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Much as I loved 2006 back in the day, and it is the prettier game, it was the first step in the direction that WWE games have taken since. Here Comes the Pain has a much better roster, and is, of all the Smackdown games, probably the most fun to play.

The only issue I have with HCTP is that CAW are pretty ugly compared to the in game roster and by SVR 2006 the CAW were a lot easier to look at, even if there was still a gap.

Edit: HCTP also has the fast paced Rumble still whereas 2006 has the meter filler Rumble that has been a pox on the series for more than a decade.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 31, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

NL showing that fun can be had with new WWE games.This is an amazing video. Check out sassy hunchback Ricochet at around 16:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmJEz7B-dhM

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Qoey posted:

Would it be worth it to go find an old copy today? I still have a PS2 that I play on now and again, but I never tried any wrestling games in the time between the N64 games and WWE13
If you only get one of the PS2 Smackdown games, get Here Comes the Pain for the reasons already mentioned by remusclaw. Then again, you can get these games for like two bucks each on ebay, so might as well grab SVR 2006 and maybe SD: Shut Your Mouth while you're at it.

remusclaw posted:

Much as I loved 2006 back in the day, and it is the prettier game, it was the first step in the direction that WWE games have taken since.
I think the first step in that direction was the first SD vs. RAW game (which is awful and was disappointing even at the time), whereas SVR 2006 added back some of the cool stuff from HCTP such as longer matches, and the stamina system was a really nice addition. SVR 2007 was when the games really started to go downhill in my opinion.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

As bad as 2K18 is, SvR 2008 is still the worst game in the history of the series. I'd say it's possibly the worst wrestling game ever, but I'm still waiting for Scotsman to review WCW Thunder.