Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Davros1 posted:

It's probably just a re-skinned backstage brawl. The last one I bought was 2K17, and I swear, all you had to do was whip you opponent into the environment twice to score a win.
Fun memories of obsessing over my CAW's moveset in an earlier game (2010 I think?) only to have every career match be a backstage brawl with completely standardized alt grapples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, THQ and 2k after them are especially good at taking things fans want and making you regret you ever asked for it. The only thing approaching fun to play in the series is straight singles matches and everything else is there just there to be able to say it’s there. It wasn’t always that way, but post HCTP they moved in a more sim direction and and outside of 2006 which was pretty good, it has been a disappointing series since.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Even if the engine weren't an eternal problem, there are just fundamental mechanical things that are holding them back. Reversals are too important- limiting them didn't make them less important, instead it's just "either save your reversals and spend entire minutes helpless and stunned, or risk running them out and ALSO being helpless and stunned for long amounts of time."

It's hard to think of how they could fix this short of just stealing Fire Pro's mechanics (and I'm not sure grapple timing would be easy for people to pick up).

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Even if the engine weren't an eternal problem, there are just fundamental mechanical things that are holding them back. Reversals are too important- limiting them didn't make them less important, instead it's just "either save your reversals and spend entire minutes helpless and stunned, or risk running them out and ALSO being helpless and stunned for long amounts of time."

It's hard to think of how they could fix this short of just stealing Fire Pro's mechanics (and I'm not sure grapple timing would be easy for people to pick up).

The whole game has revolved around reversals since it was good, and you can tell no one making the game has noticed that since there has never been any work done to make them satisfying or varied in any way. Reversal are completely random in fire pro and yet they went out of their way to make the actual reversals jive to the style of the wrestler, and in WWE games, where they are the game, you will see the same animations over and over again, every match.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Maxwell Lord posted:

is using the game where most people seem to tell me "it's fun to make the AI fight" really the one you want to steal mechanics from?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

spongeh posted:

is using the game where most people seem to tell me "it's fun to make the AI fight" really the one you want to steal mechanics from?

Fire Pro has pretty good gameplay mechanics whether you’re playing it or Simming.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Reversals need to be tied to some sort of resource (like meter in a fighting game) or do the Fire Pro thing where fatigue and other behind-the-scene factors determine success. Like you shouldn't be able to do a reversal 100% of the time just because you got used to the rhythm.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I like fire pro and I like the early Smackdowns, but we already have a good basis for a wrestling game, and that is the aki series. It was, the most eminently playable wrestling game series ever, and it only got better until it was ignominiously put to pasture after Def Jam 2.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The reason Fire Pro has a lot of people just simming it is because the AI is varied and each match will play different as a result, but the actual gameplay is good too- the way it’s built around the grapple timing takes care of offense and defense in one move (which is good because you need defense in a game but actual wrestling has very little of it) and each lockup is an opportunity for both wrestlers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Reversals need to be tied to some sort of resource (like meter in a fighting game) or do the Fire Pro thing where fatigue and other behind-the-scene factors determine success. Like you shouldn't be able to do a reversal 100% of the time just because you got used to the rhythm.

The problem is they’re tied to a resource now, but that just means when you don’t have that resource you’re almost completely helpless. And when you do have the resource you can be waiting a long time for a prompt to finally appear. It’s just not fun to be on the defensive ever, which works against the natural flow of a wrestling match.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love playing Fire Pro, gets me all fired up. Don’t think that it’s for simming only

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I love playing Fire Pro, gets me all fired up. Don’t think that it’s for simming only

I really enjoy it too when I remember to play. I admit I kind of miss the SNES era absurdity on what would result in you falling out of the ring, as now only relatively big throws will do it, but back then just about anything would result in a huge neck bump on the floor, even to the person doing the move if the animation placed them too close to the ropes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I actually played quite a bit of the Ironman Road mode in Fire Pro 2 on the GBA and loved it, until I got to tag matches and it became impossible to prevent the opponent from breaking up pins. But it was definitely fun, I'd just say the slight barrier to entry on understanding the mechanics makes it difficult to recommend to people from a playing standpoint.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Highlights from nL's Drawful stream with Dakota Kai, Brennan Williams, and Shane Thorne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5Nu7sRmdI

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

spongeh posted:

Fire Pro is fun as hell to play, it's just that the versions prior to World are kind of arcane and World only just recently got any kind of single-player content other than exhibitions.

The reason it's fun to sim is because the AI is insanely granular and you can get weirdly close to a wrestler's actual style with it, and this also lends itself pretty well to interesting matches with player involvement.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

coconono posted:

I hate being THAT guy but that looks like poo poo. When your wow reel has physics jank in it, you're not even trying anymore.

Oh don't worry it looks terrible. Model quality is PS2 era and actually looks like it backslid from some previous games. Compared against similar offerings like UFC games (which looked better 10 years ago) it's a travesty. Mocap continues to leave the animation quality at sub-HCTP levels (literally none of the moves in that video looked good).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah Fire Pro's actual wrestling gameplay is far superior but its got an unfriendly curve to people that aren't longtime fire pro fans. Its like a co-op exhibition of cool moves and acting like a badass. Which is a big departure from the brawler style approach most wrestling games go for.

There's also a ton of under the hood arcanum that nerds love.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Fire Pro is fun as hell to play, it's just that the versions prior to World are kind of arcane and World only just recently got any kind of single-player content other than exhibitions.

The reason it's fun to sim is because the AI is insanely granular and you can get weirdly close to a wrestler's actual style with it, and this also lends itself pretty well to interesting matches with player involvement.

Yeah, once in a blue moon, Yukes' bullshit manages to ape the actual wrestlers (I once played a match against an AI Kevin Owens and the first thing the AI does was take a powder and stall outside the ring for like a minute, which is very on point, but other times it's basically generic), but Fire Pro seems to do a much better job broadly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I was really hoping Spike would've given us a heads up about a new release date for the NJPW collab on Firepro by now.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
They named names:

quote:

The following tracks were chosen for the WWE 2K19 soundtrack:

* Champion by Fall Out Boy (chosen by Alexa Bliss)
* Devil by Shinedown (chosen by Baron Corbin)
* Override by Slipknot (chosen by WWE Intercontinental Champion Seth Rollins)
* Passion by Awolnation (chosen by Daniel Bryan)
* Ric Flair Drop by Offset & Metro Boomin (chosen by Charlotte Flair & WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair)
* Rockstar by Post Malone (chosen by Elias)
* Skin by Bullet For My Valentine (chosen by The Miz)
* Spit Out The Bone by Metallica (chosen by Triple H)
* Survival by Eminem (chosen by WWE Champion AJ Styles)
* The 11th Hour by Rancid (chosen by Sami Zayn)
* Ungrateful by Wale (chosen by The New Day)
* Work Hard by Migos (chosen by Samoa Joe)

i saw rollins at a set your goals show, but i guess you never truly leave iowa

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

beggar posted:

They named names:

i saw rollins at a set your goals show, but i guess you never truly leave iowa

It's odd. I'd assume something like this would basically be mad libs with wrestler names and the songs that 2K or WWE picked for the soundtrack, but a few of those do make sense. Like Joe and Hunter being fans of Migos and Metallica respectively is not exactly something either guy keeps secret.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Weren't a lot of those songs ppv themes though?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
WWE 2K19's DLC:

Lacey Evans
Dakota Kai
Candice LaRae
Hanson & Rowe
EC3
Mike and Maria Kanelis (Maria playable?)
Ricochet
Lio Rush
Bobby Lashley

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i do like the new tradition of just forgetting the incumbent nxt champion each year especially when that champion has already been on the roster for years

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Getting that full wave of partially on-disc DLC plans on twitter for goodwill before they've shown even a second of unproduced gameplay or said what changes are in this year.

They 100% left Dakota Kai as DLC because the few thousand newLegacy fans are the only people who still buy these games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Does this mean they actually have the entire main roster on Raw/Smackdown in the game this year by the time it's released?

Here is the updated missing superstars roster I guess....

quote:

Missing 205 Live Superstars / Cruiserweights:
Brian Kendrick - active in WWE, was in WWE 2K18 PERPLEXING REMOVAL
Buddy Murphy - returned in February 2018
Drake Maverick (GM) - 205 Live GM, hasn't actively wrestled in WWE
Mark Andrews

Missing NXT Superstars:
Aliyah
Cezar Bononi
Danny Burch - Oney Lorcan's Tag Team Partner
Fabian Aichner
Kona Reeves
Nikki Cross - active in WWE, was in WWE 2K18 PERPLEXING REMOVAL
Raul Mendoza
Riddick Moss
Taynara Conti
Tino Sabbatelli
Tommaso Ciampa - active in WWE, was in WWE 2K18 PERPLEXING REMOVAL
Trent Seven - prominent in NXT UK and NXT COULD BE DLC
Vanessa Borne
Wesley Blake
William Regal (GM)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ciampa, Cross, Seven and Kendrick are weird omissions. The three because you could literally port over the old model and moveset, and the last because the rest of British Strong Style are in. Buddy Murphy is trickier because you'd have to actually do a little work to bring him up to date as his 205 Live self. Still lame not to have him. But otherwise, the rest all make sense and are inessential.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There’s rumours on Reddit that Cross and Ciampa can be unlocked through the new ladder mode but it’s all merely speculation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There’s rumours on Reddit that Cross and Ciampa can be unlocked through the new ladder mode but it’s all merely speculation.

I've seen people speculating that since the roster was announced and they weren't on it. Along with Kendrick and Mark Henry

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Mark Henry was a significant chunk of Bryan's career when he was feuding with him and Big Show for the Wold title so Henry has to just be an unlockable character through career mode

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Psychepath posted:

Getting that full wave of partially on-disc DLC plans on twitter for goodwill before they've shown even a second of unproduced gameplay or said what changes are in this year.

They 100% left Dakota Kai as DLC because the few thousand newLegacy fans are the only people who still buy these games.

I like New Legacy largely because they play these lovely games so I don't have to buy or play them myself

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Is there a good starting video for NL?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Genericide posted:

The Brawl 4 All are all pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/GukV6WuQQA0 or this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

The Brawl 4 All are all pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/GukV6WuQQA0 or this

Agreeing with these and also The Saga of nL Slip https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXL2gsozhzhp4mQfF6fwdv--r2-fkv-tD

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Genericide posted:

this is where I started many moons ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY

The NL Slip saga on Wrestling Revolution is their best stuff IMO, although the brawl for alls are also hilarious. The main event of the 2013 B4A and the Linda/Dixie match from the women's B4A are must see.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 20, 2018

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The B4A and the mdickie NL Slip saga are great as mentioned, I also thought the 2k18 universe mode stuff has been a lot of fun, even though I didn't find the previous year ones very interesting when I watched some of them

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Stand your face into the winds and laugh into God's fury

Me and my wife literally did this Friday Night. It was scary.

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. We made it through just fine and GAME Pro Wrestling will return tonight at 8:05 EST with The Beach Episode!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
https://youtu.be/81EVlR5Fh5I

MyCareer trailer.

Holy crap... it looks good.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Since that url doesn't work for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na01Eb9ArNo

Adbot