Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A feud will reliably produce some sort of cutscene or event every week, but for the most part they are all-purpose incidents - attacks before a match, distractions, etc.

I haven’t played enough to really say whether they form anything like coherent storytelling, but you can set the “intensity” of a storyline, with very high being “wild brawl every time they see one another”. From what I’ve seen, low intensity feuds might create ally relationships or even tag teams. They typically start with, like, a post-match handshake. I assume face/heel settings affect what specific cutscenes show up. No idea what a medium intensity feud entails. They’ve definitely come a ways since a universe feuds were the same two workers in singles matches every single week. Now they’re relatively rare outside of PPVs.

This year they focused on a lot of little quality of life details beyond the MITB stuff and Elimination Chambers finally working. For example, you can set the alignment of a worker (though they don’t use face/heel terms) separately from how crowds actually react to them. So you can create a Cena-style hated face or a whole smark fed where all the heels get cheered. And when you create a show or a PPV you can adjust AI match booking, so you can make an ECW show where every singles match is a hardcore match, or a show that’s 100% tag team matches, or a PPV built around a first blood match, or whatever.

There are also things like promo disposition - the actual content of the text promos are goofy and way too wordy but they have a number of set animations, from hyperactive in-your-face types to Undertaker “just stand there” types, which is a nice touch. Universe mode managers mostly seem to work but at base settings at least, refs don’t throw them out as often as they should. Pulling the ref out of the ring doesn’t even get you ejected.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basically I don’t think it’s a stretch to say this is easily the best non-sperg, non-text wrestling game since HCTP. There are still things that suck - I think submission balance is completely hosed such that the AI is highly resilient against finisher-level holds while any kind of submission is impossible for players to resist if the body region has taken even moderate damage, and it can stop tense matches cold with infuriating ease.

If they just brought back the AKI-style rubber banding momentum / special meter I think it would be a legitimately great game. But ultimately if the core gameplay doesn’t agree with you it’s a lot of nice glaze on a soggy piece of meat

Takuan
May 6, 2007

To whom it may concern: No show this week. Haven't had the time or emotional capacity to put one together. See the official generalspooky thread for more details.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
A while ago someone posted about Journey of Wrestling, a browser based booking sim. It just got an update that added gimmicks and overness, which makes it a little more deep, although it's still pretty simple. A lot of the scenarios are still out of date but it's worth checking in on again.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CascadeBeta posted:

A while ago someone posted about Journey of Wrestling, a browser based booking sim. It just got an update that added gimmicks and overness, which makes it a little more deep, although it's still pretty simple. A lot of the scenarios are still out of date but it's worth checking in on again.

Oh awesome, I've been waiting in that update. I just wish it was a bit more challenging since right now it's way too easy to beat all the other promotions in a scenario once you get into a groove. I think the fact that promotions can't poach talent and there's no theoretical length to contracts is probably the issue there though (at least, as of this time)

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 30, 2018

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
I really wish they'd do a proper mobile version of JoW

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

reach42 posted:

I really wish they'd do a proper mobile version of JoW

The latest version of 80's Mania Wrestling is pretty good for a mobile lite booking sim/card game.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Tonight @8:05 EST!
-The first round of the Co-Op Open commences with Tracer & Faith Conners vs Kirby & Cuphead and Duke Nukem & Juliet Starling vs Megaman & Frank West!
-THE DOOMSLAYER takes on Ickybod Clay!
-2B, hot off her recent heel turn faces Captain N!
-Cody Travers, Kenny Haggar & Guy Ibushi vs The Mad Gears & Goro Majima!
-And In the Main Event: King Bowser, Ganondorf, Dracula and Johnny Cage in a 4-Corners Elimination match to become the Number One Contender for the PCGP Heavyweight Championship!
-Also in action: Chun-Li, Solid Snake, Sub-Zero, & Ms. Fortune!
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Apparently nothing has happened in the realm of Video Game Wrestling for the past week except my goofy Fire Pro Show.

-I don't have time to write a full preview, but Zangief will fight A Literal Bear!
-Plus the Co-Op Open continues as MegaFrank takes on Cuphead & Kirby for a shot at the Co-Op Championships.
-The first ever Dot TV Champion will be crowned!
-All this and much, much more!
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

titans pack looks like its gonna drop thanksgiving week. no word yet on if the korauken hall or tokyo dome venues will be patched in for create an arena but no denial yet either.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Tonight @8:05 EST! Live from the Ballroom of Dracula's Castle, it's Wrestlevania(Presented by Dracula)!
-Terra defends the Dot TV Championship against the runner-up from last-week's battle royal to crown the first champion, Captain N!
-Johnny Cage faces A New Challenger!
-Kirby & Cuphead came out on top in the Co-Op Open and now get challenge the Co-Op Champions, The Super Mario Bros!
-Last time Link and Zangief encountered each other was at the Grand Prix Finals. Since then neither of them have had much success. Now they face each other one more time to try to turn their individual momentum around!
-After a backstage encounter that escalated due to a toxic combination of ego and pettiness, Mettaton and Dracula are feuding now!
-Sabin tests his might against NEMESIS in a Last Man Standing match!
-Rainbow Mika vs Tina Armstrong Title vs Mask! If Tina loses, she has to start wearing a mask!
-And in the Main Event, Gilgamesh defends his PCGP World Championship against Ganondorf!
-https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Somebody on the stream last night asked how many title defenses Giglamesh had. The answer is 3, arguably 4. His first defense was against Mettaton(giving Mettaton his first ever loss in the process), his second defense was in a triangle elimination match against Link and Scorpion. Gilgamesh eliminated both opponents via pinfall, so this could arguably be considered 2 defenses. His final defense was against Zangief. He went a month without defending the title due to the Pan-Console Grand Prix, where he had a 5-2 record, and tied for first place in his block. Gilgamesh held the title for 127 days.

In greater Fire Pro News, there's been tremendous movement in the mod scene over the past few weeks, and the vast majority of mods have either already been ported over to 2.0, or in the works. The director of Fire Pro World made a vague statement about new arenas sometime in the future(maybe) and this motivated Carlzilla to start actively trying to port the mods over to 2.0.

The director also, more recently, stated that the rest of the DLC has been delayed(again) because they've changed development teams(again). Maybe Fire Promoter will come out in January. He also mentioned releasing official tools for fans to create moves and edit parts.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Are they using independent dev teams? I thought the whole idea was this was just the small fraction of people in Spike Chunsoft who aren't occupied with Danganronpa and other VN stuff (ie where they make money), and that's why everything takes forever.

Good to hear about more mod stuff coming to 2.0 maybe. I'd be most interested in the booking options and the proper royal rumble mod though I imagine the latter in particular is tricky.)

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 16, 2018

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Real tools for edit parts would be sick as hell.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Are they using independent dev teams? I thought the whole idea was this was just the small fraction of people in Spike Chunsoft who aren't occupied with Danganronpa and other VN stuff (ie where they make money), and that's why everything takes forever.

Good to hear about more mod stuff coming to 2.0 maybe. I'd be most interested in the booking options and the proper royal rumble mod though I imagine the latter in particular is tricky.)

It sounds like it was a group of people from Spike, but they've switched to using a dedicated team so they can actually fix the game and make progress on it, but who knows. With how much turnover the dev team has had, Carlzilla is probably actually the one person in the world with the most experience and familiarity with Fire Pro's code at this point. Booking options and the royal rumbles are in the testing version of the mod suite that's on the discord. Eventually, a "public" version will be posted at firepropc.com.

I don't think it got posted over here, but there's a reddit translation of a Famitsu article where Blessed Holy Emporer Taichi verbally rips in to Director Matsumoto for his failures.

It's probably a work, but it's fun to read.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

It sounds like it was a group of people from Spike, but they've switched to using a dedicated team so they can actually fix the game and make progress on it, but who knows. With how much turnover the dev team has had, Carlzilla is probably actually the one person in the world with the most experience and familiarity with Fire Pro's code at this point. Booking options and the royal rumbles are in the testing version of the mod suite that's on the discord. Eventually, a "public" version will be posted at firepropc.com.

I don't think it got posted over here, but there's a reddit translation of a Famitsu article where Blessed Holy Emporer Taichi verbally rips in to Director Matsumoto for his failures.

It's probably a work, but it's fun to read.

Taichi posted:

Grand Theft Auto 5 has upwards of 30 players shooting at each other, but there’s no lag at all, and it plays smoothly

Yeah this is a work, that's bullshit. GTA 5's netcode is hilarious in how it can't even handle one player running over another properly. The whole thing reads like Taichi making a fanfic of what he'd say to Matsumoto if he got the chance. Surprised there wasn't an "and then everyone stood up and clapped" bit at the end. Not to say the criticisms aren't valid, but I just don't buy the story framing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The ultimate face Taichi :swoon:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah this is a work, that's bullshit. GTA 5's netcode is hilarious in how it can't even handle one player running over another properly. The whole thing reads like Taichi making a fanfic of what he'd say to Matsumoto if he got the chance. Surprised there wasn't an "and then everyone stood up and clapped" bit at the end. Not to say the criticisms aren't valid, but I just don't buy the story framing.

I buy it because Matsumoto's explanations make pretty much perfect sense. Like, all the stuff he explicates in the interview is pretty much known to be true regarding netcode: games like Fire Pro just straight up aren't gonna work well online unless there's some sort of lag compensation, and even with that, playing on wi-fi is gonna be loving miserable.

The WWE games can get away with more online because their timing isn't nearly as strict; GTA5, even as poo poo as its netcode is, is able to hide this from the player in most instances due to how the game functions, with the player only constantly observing their own character. Fighting games and stuff like FPW are in a much tighter spot, with rollback netcode like GGPO being pretty much the only silver-bullet solution.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Black Friday sales have started, and I was wondering if picking up WWE 2K19 for $30 is worth it? I last bought 2K17 and thought it was alright, but not worth $60, for context.
Also: If you want a physical copy of Fire Pro for PS4 it's on sale at Gamestop.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I buy it because Matsumoto's explanations make pretty much perfect sense. Like, all the stuff he explicates in the interview is pretty much known to be true regarding netcode: games like Fire Pro just straight up aren't gonna work well online unless there's some sort of lag compensation, and even with that, playing on wi-fi is gonna be loving miserable.

The WWE games can get away with more online because their timing isn't nearly as strict; GTA5, even as poo poo as its netcode is, is able to hide this from the player in most instances due to how the game functions, with the player only constantly observing their own character. Fighting games and stuff like FPW are in a much tighter spot, with rollback netcode like GGPO being pretty much the only silver-bullet solution.

I mean that part's fine, I'm more annoyed with the assertion that some games don't have lag at all when they definetely do (and GTA V is a prime example), and so the more I read (including the end part with "fix it or I cut off your head") the more I felt I was being worked. :shrug:

Like, Matsumoto's explanations were real-feeling enough, it's the other half of the discussion that felt crazy

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 21, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

punchdaily posted:

Black Friday sales have started, and I was wondering if picking up WWE 2K19 for $30 is worth it? I last bought 2K17 and thought it was alright, but not worth $60, for context.
Also: If you want a physical copy of Fire Pro for PS4 it's on sale at Gamestop.
If you like the 2K gameplay / pacing I’d say yeah

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They've tightened up the speed of a lot of animations and have a lot of goofier touches, as well as ripping off some things from NetherRealm's fighting games. Gameplay is still the same essential think, although the new 'Payback' mechanic actually works pretty well. (Lets you do things let get an extra reversal stock or play possum to sucker the opponent into a cradle after you take enough damage)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one feature of the game i do particularly enjoy as a little touch is if you pull off a cradle really early into the match, your wrestler will automatically slink out of the ring and celebrate outside

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Carlzilla's modpack for Fire Pro 2.0 has officially been released. As an extra bonus, you no longer have to join a discord to download it. You can get it from a plain ol' website:
http://firepropc.com/t/mod-2-0-mod-pack/315

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Woooooot

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And I had some difficulty getting the new Mod Suite up and running, but good to have it back. Had an issue where it was hanging on loading a match forever, and eliminating either the "entrances in Yuraken Hall" feature, the "Interview" feature, or the Title Match graphic thing took care of it. And I wasn't hung up on using those, so I'll let someone else figure out what went wrong there.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I would wager it's the interviews mod. That one's caused a lot of trouble, and has numerous bug fixes in test-versions on the discord. It'll probably be working once there's a new Public Version.

-It's time once again for the first ever Cross Tag Battle! A 16-team elimination-style trios tournament!
-Full brackets available at: https://challonge.com/he8w073a Make a prediction whynot!
-Cody challenges Terra for the Dot TV Championship!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match: Blood Dragon(Dracula, Billy Lee, Jimmy Lee) vs MADGEARS(Andore Jr, Poison, Faith Conners)!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match:Zangief, Rainbow Mika, & Tina Armstrong vs Fuerte Guererro, Veneno, & El Hijo De Gigante Armadillo!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match:Sons of The Atom(Duke Nukem, Solid Snake, EDF Soldier) vs Makai Galaxy(Rangar, Yuugai, Praxis)!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match:The N Team(Captain N, Samus, Inkling Girl) vs Team B.O.W.S.E.R.(Bowser, D'Vorah, Ickybod Clay)!
-And in the Main Event, Executioner Smough faces THE DOOMSLAYER in a No DQ match!

- https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Takuan posted:

-It's time once again for the first ever

:thunk:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hey he’s promoting wrestling, carny gotta carny

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

so does the carlzilla mod work with the latest patch? specifically the real royal rumbles?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Yes to both.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

-The Cross Tag Battle Continues with the second half of the first round!
-Terra defends her Dot TV Championship against Gato The Singing Robot!
-Andore Jr and Frank West** square off on a No DQ Match!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match: The Substitutes(Patty Acosta, October Schmidt, & Samantha Sugar) vs STARMEN(STARMAN, STARMAN, & STARMAN)!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match:The Super Mario All-Stars(Mario, Luigi, & Princess Peach) vs ATHF(Shake, Lock, & Wad)!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match:Team Bonetrousle(Johnny Cage, Link, & Markiplier) vs Liturature Club(Yuri, Natsuki, & Monika)!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match:Wily-Gun(Mettaton, 2B, Shadow Lady) vs Deadbusters(Juliet Starling, Zeke & Julie)!
-And in the Main Event, Ayla faces [b]Trevor Belmont
!

-https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1071440697943838722

The actual announcement:

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542407

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Finally, a wrestling game

I’m curious about it, ‘16 was great except for how static and unresponsive the AI tended to be.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This sounds pretty promising and I'm excited

quote:

For TEW2020, I've instead completely taken the game apart, rewritten the underlying architecture, and then put each feature back in one-by-one, revamping and upgrading as I go along. The end result is that while you're still going to recognise the game as being part of the TEW series, it's effectively a much sharper, quicker, more intuitive, better quality piece of work. This is going to be the biggest jump forward in terms of quality the series has ever seen (I can say that with confidence because it's already blowing TEW2016 out of the water and there's still at least a year of work to come!)

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
No mention of compatibility with Apple Macs or a mobile version is disappointing though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tbf it is one dude and TEW was literally an extremely complicated Microsoft Access project, that’s a fairly limited medium

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

waiting for the return of adam jennings and promotion wars revenge

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rovert posted:

No mention of compatibility with Apple Macs or a mobile version is disappointing though.
unless he's written it in something other than .net that's not gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

unless he's written it in something other than .net that's not gonna happen

.net core is real