Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

KoldPT posted:

.net core is real
i mean sure but the majority of the work in a rewrite would be recreating the ui and core won’t help with making that cross platform, you’d still need to write the frontend in electron or w/e

E: maybe you could do the whole thing in xamarin? idk

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TEW2020 update 1: Child Companies mode (aka NXT/Evolve/etc mode)

quote:

#1: Playing as child companies

A new addition to the game is the ability for the user to play as the owner or booker of another promotion's child company. This mode works in the same way as running a normal company, except that the player must deal with several extra challenges - primarily that the parent can send workers there for development, call workers up, fire workers, and has the final say on all matters which means that they can, for example, block certain actions that the child company wishes to take. They do, however, have the advantage of not having to worry too much about finances (as any profit or loss is absorbed by the parent and so it's impossible to go bankrupt), although the parent is not going to be happy if the financial performance is overly poor.

The child company has the option of whether to proactively sign talent or just utilise the workers they are provided with by the parent. However, they have no power to fire workers who have been sent there on developmental contracts and so must be very careful about roster management, especially when it comes to negative influences.

This mode is unrestricted in that the player can run a child company regardless of whether the parent is human or AI controlled. If the parent is AI controlled, they will always give the child a warning ahead of time if they are planning to call someone up, giving the user time to switch any titles, do a farewell match, etc. If the parent is human-controlled then it is entirely up to that player - they are free to do things without warning if they so wish.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

It'd be cool if the owner's personality determined how much(if any) warning you got before a call-up.

My biggest wish for the new TEW is to finally be able to do block TV tapings, like literally every company(including WWE) has done at some point.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Really needs a name other than "child promotion".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tbh there are worse terms. One of my first exposures to smarkdom was some Youtuber who had a lot of strong feelings about how the best young boys come from Japan

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I assume the term “young lion” is a more polite translation of the same word

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Davros1 posted:

Really needs a name other than "child promotion".

Mat rats?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
would like to see an LP or something where a person runs the developmental promotion and someone else runs the parent promotion and possibly messes with the former's booking

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

would like to see an LP or something where a person runs the developmental promotion and someone else runs the parent promotion and possibly messes with the former's booking
can i interest you in Real Life WWE

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Where the gently caress is Fire Promoter?!?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Sandman McMahon posted:

It's in the file marked "things we lied about to trick people into buying fire pro"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sounds like they did their research a little too well

Takuan
May 6, 2007

For what it's worth, there's a mod available called MotW that does most of what Fire Promoto is probably going to do(and possibly more depending on how fleshed out Fire Promoter eventually is.)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Its been forever, but didn't Returns have a promoter mode?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

coconono posted:

Its been forever, but didn't Returns have a promoter mode?

Yes, you used the base roster.

Fire Pro Wrestling maybe be somewhat a name, but this is still very much a high budget indie game with a skeleton crew working on it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KungFu Grip posted:

Yes, you used the base roster.

Fire Pro Wrestling maybe be somewhat a name, but this is still very much a high budget indie game with a skeleton crew working on it.

yeah I'm happy to have a ps4 Fire Pro game to play whenever the mood strikes me but unless you're committed to the deepend of editing or AI tweaking, there's really not a whole lot beyond playing a few matches for funsies.

in many ways, it reminds me of the Armored Core series. If you're into the deep nuances, you're gonna buy everything but if you're not really sure what you're getting into there's no real help in game to get you started.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been doing all sorts of eFed stuff in my head anyway. I even have separate time frames for the PS4 and PC versions.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

projecthalaxy posted:

It's in the file marked "things we lied about to trick people into buying fire pro"

Super glad I didn't bite the line then.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

I have heard Jan 2019, in the meantime I just make events on a spreadsheet, sim the matches, then record the results.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

In early November, Fire Promoter was announced for December, then a week later they delayed it to January. It may be worthwhile to temper your expectations for Fire Promoter. Apparently a significant chunk of the coding is already in the game, and it appears to be a straight port of the GBA version, which is very, very limited in terms of booking options. There's the possibility the final release will be more robust, but considering their track record, there's also the possibility that it won't.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah honestly if it's a 1:1 port of the GBA booking then that's not great (literally you can only do 1v1 or Tag Matches, no BR, no multi man, etc. ).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If they had any courage, they would ship fire promoter and then just make it play the R-Truth got your money lol gif when you select that menu option.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

projecthalaxy posted:

If they had any courage, they would ship fire promoter and then just make it play the R-Truth got your money lol gif when you select that menu option.

except make it Kenny Omega got that funko pop money

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm happy to own Fire Pro on PS4 and equally happy that I didn't jump the gun on the season pass

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Dangerous Person posted:

I'm happy to own Fire Pro on PS4 and equally happy that I didn't jump the gun on the season pass

:yeah:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

There's a strong possibility that by the time Fire Promoter comes out, there will be 2 different mods that do it's job better. Also

Tonight @8:05 EST!
-The Cross Tag Battle Continues with the quarter final round!
-Terra defends her Dot TV Championship against Starman The Singing Robot!
-Megaman and Protoman finally meet in a one-on-one match-up!
-Cross Tag Battle Quarter Final Match: The Substitutes(Patty Acosta, October Schmidt, & Samantha Sugar) vs Team Bonetrousle(Johnny Cage, Link, & Markiplier) !
-Cross Tag Battle Quarter Final Match:The Super Mario All-Stars(Mario, Luigi, & Princess Peach) vs Wily-Gun(Mettaton, 2B, Shadow Lady)!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match:Blood Dragon(Dracula, Jimmy Lee, & Billy Lee vs Zangief, Raibow Mika, & Tina Armstrong!
-Cross Tag Battle Preliminary Match:Sons of the Atom(Duke Nukem, Solid Snake, & EDF Soldier vs Team B.O.W.S.E.R.(Bowser Koopa, D'Vorah, Ickybod Clay)!
-And in the Main Event, Ayla faces Frank West for a shot at the Cross-Platform Championship!

https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Whats the second mod besides MotW?

Takuan posted:

For what it's worth, there's a mod available called MotW that does most of what Fire Promoto is probably going to do(and possibly more depending on how fleshed out Fire Promoter eventually is.)

Has carlzilla improved Management of the World much? When I looked at it a few months back it was kinda clunky and I couldn't get it to work with reading my save so I would've had to manually input everything.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
2K19 really does feel like an improvement over the previous games. I don't know if the AI is actually better or this was just luck, but I did a match as Ali vs Bryan, kinda trying to see what a main event type match between them would look like and the finish was pretty hot. Bryan gets the knees up for the 054, puts the Yes Lock on, I get to the ropes, he basically snaps and starts doing the Baszler elbow stomp, and the double-wristlock stomps followed by Cattle Mutiliation. I escape, counter and get my signature, get knocked to the apron, counter again and hit the diving neckbreaker, followed by the finisher for the win.

:shobon: I thought it was pretty cool.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whats the second mod besides MotW?

Has carlzilla improved Management of the World much? When I looked at it a few months back it was kinda clunky and I couldn't get it to work with reading my save so I would've had to manually input everything.

There's a promotion management mod in the early stages called Fire Promotion Wars.

MotW is still kind of clunky, but it seems to be the thing Carlzilla is most focused on recently. I don't really mess with it, but there's been a bunch of bug-fixes and new features added, including a way to script in-ring promos, and a random event system that's tied to a personality system.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I got 2k19 as well. As usual, I've spent 10x the amount of time building the Universe as opposed to actually playing the game. But, from what I've played, it definitely seems like the best 2K game by a good chunk.

Not mind blowing or anything. But, everything is very tight and refined. Probably about the best they could do with this engine, honestly. I like it. I just had a pretty epic 8 man pin/submit battle royal for the NXT title with Cole, Strong, Dream, Aries, John Morrison, Monty Brown, Alex Shelley, and Jay Lethal at Wrestle Kingdom that got down to the AI controlled Cole beating me after a couple of finisher reversals with his own finisher.

I approve.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I've heard some encouraging things but I'm not even thinking of touching 2k19 unless they introduce a "Night Mode" for the menus.

That is some of the worst UI design I have ever seen (though I saw someone stream Unlimited SaGa once) and this is a game where you spend a LOT of time in menus.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

From the TEW 2020 Developer Journal

quote:

#3: On-the-fly booking

This will be a very short journal entry for a very large change!

TEW2020 will feature on-the-fly booking for the first time. This means that when you're running a show you can "drop out" of the live event and back to the booking screen whenever you like. Obviously you won't be able to alter segments that have already taken place, but you can edit the rest of the show.

This allows for both proactive and reactive changes. In the former camp, you might feel you're losing the crowd and so move one of your more exciting matches forward in order to wake them back up. You might want to change someone's character details so that they can work multiple matches on the same show under different identities. As far as reacting goes, injuries or audibles might force you to rebook parts of the show, or you may just be so impressed or horrified by someone's performance that you want to rebook a later segment to add them in or write them out.

All in all, this just gives you a lot of extra flexibility and makes the shows feel more like a real live experience.

A very interesting feature. I've had more than one 1 night tournament ruined because someone booked to go to the finals got injured in the first round. I wonder if having wrestlers work under different identities in the same show will have any sort of mechanics behind it? Maybe there will be support for multiple characters/personalities by the same worker. There's a fairly strong precedent for it in wrestling- The three faces of Foley, Keiji Mutoh/Great Muta, Abyss/Joe Park, etc.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I fully approve of Nitro mode.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Speaking of TEW, anyone have any tips about moving your promotion up in size? I feel like every time I do it, I end up falling back down within a week or two and it makes me delete my game in frustration.

For now I'm just maxing my company out at Cult because I'm nervous about jumping to National.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I think the thing to do is set a cap on your size and then when your cup runneth over, so to speak, you bump it up. The system is a bit obtuse - it seems to rest on your ability to poach stars from a bigger promotion.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Yeah, you should limit your size until your show ratings are equivalent, if not better, than your national competition and you come within a hundred points or so of them in the National Battle score. You can survive losing national battles if your show ratings are good enough to counteract the losses. But if not, yeah, you're gonna get sent back to Cult fairly quickly.

The On The Fly Booking thing made me think it'd be kinda fun if you were playing as a Booker, not an Owner, there was a chance for your owner to re-write your show after you booked it, if the had a certain type of personality.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You could also just electrocute your nuts, if you’re looking for predictable pain. Zap those dudes.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

This is a huge deal for anyone that's played as a small or medium sized company:

quote:

#4: Switching Player Order

In previous games you've always had to play in turn order but that's now been thrown out the window. During AM mode, there's now a Switch Player button on the left hand menu. You can switch back and forth to your heart's content, even multiple times per turn. So, player A can do his thing, player B can then come in and do some stuff, player A can come back and do things, etc, etc. The turn only ends when all the players have set themselves as being done. Obviously this has no impact if you only play single player games, but I think this is a real bonus if you're doing a multi player game or like to control multiple companies at once.

(This next bit is super minor, but I'm going to throw it in as it's so closely related to the above.)

In PM mode, in the past it was always split so that all the players ran their shows, then the AI. There's nothing particularly bad about this method, but it did mean there was one annoying niggle in that the AI would have to "guess" who would have been used on the big AI-controlled shows and this was not always 100% accurate - it meant that occasionally smaller companies did not have access to talent that technically they should have.

What happens in the new game is that the shows happen in size order, regardless of whether the company is controlled by a human or the AI. This means that the guesswork is removed, so if a bigger company does not utilise one of their roster then that worker is potentially available to work for a smaller company that night. As I said above, this is a really minor change and, honestly, I doubt if most people would have even noticed, but it does get rid of a small irritation and I wanted to flag it up so that people didn't mistakenly think that they could switch player order in PM mode too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You know what, just have Paradox do a booking sim. Interface would still be bad but you’d at least get some cool music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Two Point Carny would be a good game