Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

doubt it's happening but i'd buy a crappy 2k game if it was njpw2k instead and there's a historical link there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Takuan posted:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/wwe-2k-studio-creating-rival-wrestling-ip/

Yukes is looking to make a wrestling game separate from the WWE IP to foster 'internal competition'. It could amount to nothing, but it's an interesting possibility.
Gonna be super hyped when it's Rumble Roses 3.

ed: actually whichever RR game it was I played totally was better than WWE2K18 & 19

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 14, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors tbh. It’s pretty typical for modern game studios to hold internal game jams where people just follow their passions, they just don’t publicly announce the results, because they’re basically scratch paper exercises in service of the work they’re actually paid to do.

Unless they’ve got a publisher for their “internal competitor” lined up, I wouldn’t believe any line on it that pegs it as a real thing. It just says a lot about how bad things are for Yuke’s that they would publicly acknowledge that their work has been subpar and their creative staff is uninspired (!). It’s basically the video game equivalent of the Domino’s “our pizza was lovely, but it isn’t anymore” marketing blitz.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors tbh. It’s pretty typical for modern game studios to hold internal game jams where people just follow their passions, they just don’t publicly announce the results, because they’re basically scratch paper exercises in service of the work they’re actually paid to do.

I thought about this, and the only answer I can think of is that they announced it as a way of gauging interest.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean the problem with the modern 2k games is there isn't really any back and forth. The only thing that matters is how many reversals you have and whether or not you have a signature/finisher ready. So out of the nearly one hundred stats or whatever you have to customize your character, the only thing that really matters is Reversals (For pure quantity, damage doesn't really matter) and Momentum (For quicker signatures/finishers). I was going to try and make a minimum rating character besides those two stats and see how well I could do but :effort:

To really improve the game you'd have to rework the core systems from the ground up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wrestling games are just way too loving complicated now. An indy studio making a clone of No Mercy with some new moveset options here and there and a few new match types would be 100x more fun than the endlessly intricate poo poo that 2K has morphed into. There's just way too many subsystems and reversal meters and movesets for "opponent is on rope plus you're running off a ladder" and I don't need that poo poo at all.

I'm actually still surprised it's 2019 and there's been nobody competent* who has successfully made "No Mercy 2."

*I say competent because I know mDickie has chugged along for 20 years but honestly his products are janky messes that look and run like dogshit. They're fun for a while but they are not competently made, it's one guy trying to do way too much.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Even the HUD in the 2K games is overly complicated now, and also packs so much information into such a tiny area of the screen that it's utterly incomprehensible for a new player.

Thankfully, there's a simple explanation on Reddit:

quote:

Green, Yellow, Red bar - health bar: when you take damage it decreases, the orange spots after damage taken is damage you can regain. When you get to the red bar, you can always regenerate a bit as long as you kick out, but submissions will be bullshit, even if it's on a body part not damaged.

Light Blue, Blue, Purple mini bar - stamina: when you do moves, this decreases... When you pass the light blue altogether, you can't get that back (whether by doing moves or getting out into the yellow health bar). When you delete the darker blue bar, you can't get that back either (turns purple completely, ether by doing moved or moving into the red health bar). The people bar regenerates if completely delete, but this means you're tired and can't do moves... You need AT LEAST 25% of the people bar to do a signature, and 50% to do a finisher or OMG.

The last thing is the number at the bottom, this is called momentum (doesn't really make sense though, as it doesn't deplete unless a signature is reversed)... When you reach 100% you gain a signature move. When you reach 150% you get a finisher.

Well, that clears it up then, it'd be great if the game ever bothered to explain these things. Then there's the minus and plus signs that appear over your limb damage display (which are apparently the buffs or debuffs activated by taunts), and the tiny icons for your special abilities. I feel like I need a degree in something obscure to make sense of all this bullshit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I fuckin' love doing an OMG

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If I was 2k I would take one year to strip the game down and build it back up in future iterations.

E.g. say "we're going to build a new engine/mechanics for this game, and because of that this year's edition features only the 20 most popular WWE wrestlers"

Focus on making the game itself better, less on having a 65-man roster all with unique animations, entrances, etc. Once you have a good foundation, start scaling up again.

I say this knowing full well most of their dipshit audience would send them death threats over like, Tucker Knight not being in the game

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Is the AKI engine copyrighted? Is that why no one's tried using it?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Is the AKI engine copyrighted? Is that why no one's tried using it?
yeah companies in general don’t just hand out their own code to the public without a good reason to

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

NBA Jam demonstrated that the mass market won’t pay for an arcade nostalgia trip, even a well-made one at a budget price. The non-NFL Blitz game demonstrated that real talent is a pretty significant draw in sports gaming. I knew guys who made surprisingly decent money filling out the real names of every player in the NCAA football games and selling the memory cards.

WWE is the only fed with the profile to provide talent for a mass market game and they’re in with 2K, who won’t shell out for an overhaul of their series’ aging codebase, let alone for building an entirely new game (and probably have an accurate read on the ROI of those things). One has to imagine it’ll be a few years at least before AEW has the profile to justify a deal for a big budget contender game, if they last that long, and then a few years after that before a good game could be built.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 15, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're gonna do a wrestling game, I'd look real hard at the MMO style model.

Start with a base game and some decent creation tools. Then instead of a new game every year, you release add-ons(like new moves or set pieces for your wrasslin arena). Maybe if it does well enough you can license the likeness of various wrestlers or organizations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

pressedbunny posted:

Gonna be super hyped when it's Rumble Roses 3.

ed: actually whichever RR game it was I played totally was better than WWE2K18 & 19

I loving wish.

Rumble Roses belongs to Konami though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

wrestling games are just way too loving complicated now. An indy studio making a clone of No Mercy with some new moveset options here and there and a few new match types would be 100x more fun than the endlessly intricate poo poo that 2K has morphed into. There's just way too many subsystems and reversal meters and movesets for "opponent is on rope plus you're running off a ladder" and I don't need that poo poo at all.

I'm actually still surprised it's 2019 and there's been nobody competent* who has successfully made "No Mercy 2."

*I say competent because I know mDickie has chugged along for 20 years but honestly his products are janky messes that look and run like dogshit. They're fun for a while but they are not competently made, it's one guy trying to do way too much.

Even simplified, a game like this is still a LOT of work compared to an RPG or even a 2D platformer. Even Fire Pro World with its not-quite-3D approach was pretty intensive for a small section of a not-huge game studio. Games like this live or die on the feel and flow of gameplay, on the interaction of character models and things like collision detection and making the physics work the way you want them to, on top of all the mechanical decisions on just how you're going to model a scripted sport in an unscripted environment. Think of all the moves a player would want to be able to do, and how you'd want different wrestlers to have different ones, but also balancing them against each other somewhat.

There aren't a lot of studios that are big enough to do something like that but aren't being put to work on the latest AAA title that the publisher needs out by November. Plus as others have mentioned, the market for sports games is now really, you can have the one that's licensed and is aiming to be the most "accurate simulation" of the sport there is, and that's mostly it. People just went off the goofier arcadey titles (or possibly, the audience didn't grow with the games industry as it became even more of a behemoth in the HD era) and it's a real tragedy.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean part of the issue with a pro-wrestling game is that you're effectively recreating the wheel of what fighting games have already done. While you could make a WWE Fighting game that's just all your favorites in a 2d Street Fighter style game, I don't think it would actually stand out at all beyond the branding. You'd lose the performance and storytelling aspect of it, and I think that's what's the trickiest part of it. It's not enough to just have two dudes slap each other until one falls down. There's pinfalls and submissions and ropebreaks and ring escapes and all sorts of other poo poo that wouldn't really work in that type of combat. You'd basically have to do a game that has Mortal Kombat's fatality system that your opponent can escape from and try to make a comeback from 5% health or whatever, and I'm not sure that'd be that fun to actually play.

So you end up with this super janky hodgepodge game that is absolutely jam packed with stuff and numbers and systems and none of them matter at all, but then it also really wants to be a true to "life" simulation of WWE TV and it just completely falls apart somehow even further.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They did it twice before. They just are scared going back won't be received well because they've trained the new audience to only want the new poo poo.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
So I've been started playing TEW again lately. Started unemployed, hopping from company to company and finally got a job at a newly founded small fed with a big solid starting balance and

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TEW.jpg

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I envy the EWR/TEW player who has enough self control NOT to have a bloated roster.

When I play a big fed I basically establish 2 or 3 developmental promotions within the first month and then give THEM bloated rosters.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Roster management is sort of like forest management, if you had to cut one tree to make another grow. You either need a huge roster and ample TV time to approach a sustainable cycle of pushing and depushing workers, or you play slash and burn with a small roster, bring a small group up and bury the rest.

It’s hard to do anything else, at least in a landscape made to resemble the current day, which is both stratified in terms of worker popularity and rife with big fish feds that have their workers locked down. A more flattened territorial system would allow a broader full-system circulation of workers with very few Flair-style megastars and an abundance of regional stars who can be pushed sustainably.

As it is, in a modern game you’re constantly sweating the thermodynamics of popularity. The possibility of heat death is real - guys always drop more heat when they lose than they gain when they win, so all things being equal, in the long term you’re looking at a heterogenous roster of squeezed-dry jobbers and protected top guys, who will eventually cool off one by one.

I’m interested in seeing what mechanics will inject heat into the system outside of that zero-sum trap come the new release. One hopes that, for example, poaching an underused or jobbed-out worker from a rival promotion will allow you a fresh start to build heat (with the natural exception made for guys that are purposefully buried before the change)

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

As it is, in a modern game you’re constantly sweating the thermodynamics of popularity. The possibility of heat death is real - guys always drop more heat when they lose than they gain when they win, so all things being equal, in the long term you’re looking at a heterogenous roster of squeezed-dry jobbers and protected top guys, who will eventually cool off one by one.

I have never had this issue in any TEW game I've ever played. You can use angles and properly booked storylines to boost/maintain popularity and momentum outside of straight wins/losses. Maybe its because I generally play as either perf>pop or perf=pop products.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i know nobody plays 2k19 but i just threw these online for anyone who is interested. the first one i made before the actual belt was unveiled so im glad that they wound up going in that direction!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TEW2020 Developer's Journal #48 posted:

Finally, taken from WMMA5, a Quick Fill feature is available. This allows you to quickly add workers, companies, or broadcasters to your game. The way this works is that you fill in some basic data and the number of records you want to create and the game will auto-generate the content for you. For example, you may decide there's a lack of female talent in the British Isles area, so with a few clicks you can pop 25 new rookie female wrestlers there. This feature is available both in the main editor and in the in-game options menu, so you can use it either to build up your database or to freshen up an ongoing save game too. Therefore this benefits everyone, even players who don't care about the editing process.

This actually has me more excited about this game than a lot of things so far. I like the idea of generating an entire company of nobodies out of the ether as your start condition, and then trying to get the promotion running from there.

EDIT

Actually, it gets better, because Journal #49 adds an aging/deaging option that takes potential into account if you're aging a person up. So you can start a game with a totally new company, with workers created at random from scratch, and then age up a few of them to different levels of career to have some solid veterans to show your younger kids the ropes.

That's really something.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 27, 2019

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Hi there! My name's Takuan and you might remember me from the Classic New Japan Match thread, the three times a year I stay awake late enough to live-watch NJPW, and maybe also from this very thread!

Today I'm here to tell you about a new efed called W.A.V.E. Pro Wrestling. What is W.A.V.E. Pro wrestling? Well, W.A.V.E. stands for "Wild Action Vibrant Entertainment." But what does that mean? It's a realistic, down-to-earth show that's also swarming with magic robots. It's going to deal with real-life problems like you see every day, and also have far-out situations involving futuristic technology and supernatural elements! It's going to be character and story-driven with a focus on in-ring action and sportslike presentation. It will be all things to all people.

So come and see!

The first episode premiers this Thursday, June 6, at 8:00pm EST on Twitch over at twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
YES

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Welcome back to streaming Pro Graps Takuan! I look forward to what you do within the new paradigm.

Also, did you delete all the old Gamepro Wrestling vids on Twitch?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I didn't delete the videos from Twitch. Twitch deleted them for me.

However, most of the old videos are still on my YouTube Channel, which I will also be posting future WAVE Pro Wrestling shows to.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i know nobody plays 2k19 but i just threw these online for anyone who is interested. the first one i made before the actual belt was unveiled so im glad that they wound up going in that direction!

You're doing good work my dude, thanks! I'm still playing 2K19 ftr.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Takuan posted:

I didn't delete the videos from Twitch. Twitch deleted them for me.

However, most of the old videos are still on my YouTube Channel, which I will also be posting future WAVE Pro Wrestling shows to.

Ah cool. A while back a discord I got into somebody asked about people doing like stories and stuff with the game and I thought I would point em at your twitch channel but I go and look and there isn't anything there. Shame. Thanks for the Youtube link, subscribed!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Takuan posted:

Hi there! My name's Takuan and you might remember me from the Classic New Japan Match thread, the three times a year I stay awake late enough to live-watch NJPW, and maybe also from this very thread!

Today I'm here to tell you about a new efed called W.A.V.E. Pro Wrestling. What is W.A.V.E. Pro wrestling? Well, W.A.V.E. stands for "Wild Action Vibrant Entertainment." But what does that mean? It's a realistic, down-to-earth show that's also swarming with magic robots. It's going to deal with real-life problems like you see every day, and also have far-out situations involving futuristic technology and supernatural elements! It's going to be character and story-driven with a focus on in-ring action and sportslike presentation. It will be all things to all people.

So come and see!

The first episode premiers this Thursday, June 6, at 8:00pm EST on Twitch over at twitch.tv/gameprowrestling
Can I win things by watching?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
gently caress yeah, was wondering when the new show was coming. Definitely gonna tune in

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Can I win things by watching?

You can win about an hour and a half of entertainment just by tuning in:tipshat:!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1134696106359762944

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Takuan posted:

So come and see!

OMG YAY. I've been waiting for this since I saw the promo on Youtube.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Do all of the FPW PS4 DLCs have moves associated with them? A couple of my downloaded edits can’t be used because they apparently use DLC moves, and if I can avoid buying all the DLC, I’m down for it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Promoter doesn't have any moves or character parts, both the New Japan ones do.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

So, hey, my new E-Wrestling thing, WAVE Pro-Wrestling starts at 8:00pm, EST! Check it out why not!

https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Come watch old footage of malls and listen to Vaporwave with me in the meantime!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

Promoter doesn't have any moves or character parts, both the New Japan ones do.

If he's playing on PS4, the normal NJPW stuff is part of the base product. So only the junior DLC would be needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

NewLegacy streamed and uploaded some of the story mode from the first Smackdown vs. RAW, and it's somehow even worse than I remembered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDM0mJf5xa8

If you're not familiar with that one, it's the first SVR game with (terribly) voiced cutscenes and the story is mainly about creeping on the Divas. I'm assuming THQ had an actual script based on real storylines for the mode like they did in the previous two games, but it got replaced with Kevin Dunn's personal fan fiction at the last minute.