Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
The mod pack also has (or at least it did at one point, haven't used it in year or two) a setting so that matches won't end off a chinlock or other weak move. And then later it was expanded to setting finishes to only occur after specific moves of your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The mod pack also has (or at least it did at one point, haven't used it in year or two) a setting so that matches won't end off a chinlock or other weak move. And then later it was expanded to setting finishes to only occur after specific moves of your choice.

yeah, that's part of the match pacing and booking mod. You can set a winner, or allow anyone to win, and then pick a finish. This can be any move, only signature or finishers (I enable that for big matches, it's great if you build your characters around that)
or If you pick a winner you get to pick the specific move that ends it. Countout is also an option sometimes (but a little wonky). But it's not idiot proof, the finish has to be a submission or a move that a wrestler pins after. Carl is vehemently against idiot proofing anything. In big part because that can be a lot of work, but also because he doesn't like idiots. So you could just set the finish to be a standing chop that doesn't even down the opponent if you really wanted to. Match will last forever but you can sure do it.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 16, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thinking of picking up Old School, but got a couple of questions:
1 - Are there wackily deadly arenas/fights in the game (like the subway or a match that has half the mystery presents being explosives or something)
2 - Can you edit the characters?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Skill issue but even on easy in showcase mode I get my rear end beat in 2K. Roddy Piper hits Beet Hart with PAC level offense and squashes me lol

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Skill issue but even on easy in showcase mode I get my rear end beat in 2K. Roddy Piper hits Beet Hart with PAC level offense and squashes me lol

Running clotheslines are usually the answer I found

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
The showcase mode is like absolute worst implementation of what the concept of the mode should be. The idea is to relive classic matches, moments, and finishes from WrestleMania history. So they still treat the matches like shoot fighting game fights with spots that didn't happen in the match, like a heavy combo or an Irish whip that sends them flying over the top rope. And most of the time you don't even play the finish you just watch it.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
God bless this thread for making me feel slightly less insane for playing Fire Pro mostly with a spreadsheet. Although the relief lasted mere seconds before turning to ‘drat, I’ve really gotta up my game’.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Answers Me posted:

God bless this thread for making me feel slightly less insane for playing Fire Pro mostly with a spreadsheet. Although the relief lasted mere seconds before turning to ‘drat, I’ve really gotta up my game’.

I definitely need to learn how to automate more stuff cause it's a pain in the rear end manually updating this drat thing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have so much custom workshop poo poo installed into Fire Pro World + the Carlzilla mod suite that loading the game takes like almost two whole minutes lol. There’s a lot of installed older wrestlers I want to delete but sifting through everything is like going through a file cabinet from 1980

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Just start a new save at that point. And only add the stuff to it that you actually know you want. Downloading thousands of edits because you think you might possibly use them at some point, bloating your save is the biggest newbie trap of the game. Trust me, starting over is easier than cleaning up.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 29, 2024

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got 2K24 from the local library. It looks pretty. There are a lot of situational moves that are definitely missing from Fight Forever that I can appreciate. But the game still isn't fun, and I still don't feel like I fully know how to control the wrestlers.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Got 2K24 from the local library. It looks pretty. There are a lot of situational moves that are definitely missing from Fight Forever that I can appreciate. But the game still isn't fun, and I still don't feel like I fully know how to control the wrestlers.

Because it sucks op

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fight forever gameplay + 2k customisation is the ideal that developers should be aiming for

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Fight forever gameplay + 2k customisation is the ideal that developers should be aiming for

Literally yes. Give me just that and a Universe sandbox and I'd be happy.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

flashy_mcflash posted:

Literally yes. Give me just that and a Universe sandbox and I'd be happy.

its honestly preposterous for a major wrestling game to be released in the modern age without any sort of "hey you can run your own shows and get the belts on the action figure guys you want" mode like, even with bs customization i would've been there for fight forever with some sort of mode like that but like

I dont want to play online so idk how this game is for me, you didn't need to reference the n64 games with the features too, drat!!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I liked whichever early Smackdown game had that super rudimentary Create A Show mode. No bullshit, you just picked matches, played them, and it gave you a TV rating/PPV buyrate after you were done

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Hell, WWF Attitude had a rough create a show mode, for that matter

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah but did WWF Attitude let you play Penta Says and other incredible mini games

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

The337th posted:

Hell, WWF Attitude had a rough create a show mode, for that matter

i spent so much time playing that game, fully aware how much it sucked to play

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

shiksa posted:

i spent so much time playing that game, fully aware how much it sucked to play

me too :(

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

played the hell out of it too, not at all jealous of the N64 kids the whole time

at least it had sweet custom music

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The337th posted:

played the hell out of it too, not at all jealous of the N64 kids the whole time

at least it had sweet custom music

i played it on the n64, i didnt get no mercy until later. i think i played the full calendar career mode through twice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I played a decent amount of the ECW games that were on the same engine. It's how I first got exposed to ECW, actually.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

i played it on the n64, i didnt get no mercy until later. i think i played the full calendar career mode through twice.

that's just tragic

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The337th posted:

that's just tragic

i was so jazzed when i got booked on HeAT and not shotgun, just 30 more matches against golddust and godfather and ill maybe get booked on IYH

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Was that the show where the match times on simulated matches were completely random and had no bearing on the actual length of the show so you'd have a Sunday Night Heat card with like, 4 matches in a row that all went to 57 minute count-outs somehow?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Was that the show where the match times on simulated matches were completely random and had no bearing on the actual length of the show so you'd have a Sunday Night Heat card with like, 4 matches in a row that all went to 57 minute count-outs somehow?

WM2000's Road to Wrestlemania mode

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

fond memories of seeing big boss man vs chaz 56:32 Double Count Out then undertaker vs jeff hardy vs mideon 5:00 mideon pin

if i had spent my time playing wm2000 instead of WWF Attitude i would be a mega millionaire but i was set down the wrong path

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if i had to sit through a chaz vs big bossman broadway i might have to storm the ring

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Miss when WCW Mayhem had those PPV codes that built the card for you. But they were still missing key roster members.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astro7x posted:

Miss when WCW Mayhem had those PPV codes that built the card for you. But they were still missing key roster members.

I remember that WCW Mayhem accomplished the seemingly impossible task of being more loving broken than the Acclaim WWF / ECW games.

And then Backstage Assault was released and we really found out how bad it could get.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Do any of these games feature Robocop as a playable wrestler? I want to recreate Capitol Combat '90

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Do any of these games feature Robocop as a playable wrestler? I want to recreate Capitol Combat '90

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1126568371

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/InsiderGamingIG/status/1778439913895010362

quote:

"Around a third of the planned launch features" for AEW Fight Forever didn't happen and "may still not happen" with the game being forced to release last year as it went "over budget."

Speaking with InsiderGaming, one source told them that the game was released in June 2023 because they "needed to recoup money from developmental" and that there was "pressure on the developers to not only deliver something great, but deliver something faster than what it should've been."

Another source told them that AEW "knew they were going to lose money" on the game but there was "a lot of pressure to make money back solely because of how overbudget the game went."

Regarding the future of the game, InsiderGaming was told that the team have been trying to implement bigger matches but that it may be a feature that has to wait until the next game unless AEW "put extra resources to it now."

Speaking of the next game, they were told by one source that "No one knows what’s going to happen when the planned updates are done... We know AEW wants a second game to be made, but as far as who will make it, that’s completely up in the air. Them [AEW] owning the game engine puts the ball in their court for where to go from here."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Let's hope they get a billion dollar tv deal and put half of the money into the second game.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

next time just copy tekken but with pins

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Trying posted:

next time just copy def jam fight for new york

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

like almost exactly, like yoshimistu is riho with a pipe

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sounds like pretty much exactly what everybody figured happened. I do think they should just save ideas for bigger matches for a second game, there's nothing that could possibly bring this back from the dead. I have to wonder how many DLC packs they've even sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Looking at it from a level-headed POV, this is probably a situation where AEW / Embracer had unrealistic expectations for both time and budget but YUKES was so desperate for a lifeline they knowingly overpromised. That they signed away the engine certainly suggests as much.

YUKES, as always, is YUKES. But to be quite frank they still might be the best candidate to make a sequel. Even if AEW have the option of shopping the project around with a game engine made and ready, that only differs by degrees from shopping around with no engine at all.

You don’t go to a new dev and be like “here’s a custom engine, go nuts.” They’d need a lot of time and money to learn how to work with the tools efficiently, as much or more than it might take to make another engine from scratch … and if plain language documentation in the code itself is sloppy or doesn’t exist (wonder what we can expect from YUKES there!) it can be next to impossible to do well.

This is one of the reasons devs tend to gravitate toward catch-all engines like Unreal Engine 5 and customize them off the shelf as needed for whatever type of game you’re making — new people you hire for the project will at least have a baseline understanding of what they’re working with. Plus all the work of like, physics and visual stuff becomes way simpler as you use industry standard middleware.

That difficulty with custom development’s hard even before you factor in that FF uses the same extremely old codebase as its pre-AEW ancestors. Or that your options for experienced devs working on this kind of game are basically nonexistent beyond YUKES. Or that if its staff quits or retires or is laid off, YUKES itself could lose familiarity with their own tools.

There’s no good way forward, essentially. If they haven’t hammered out an agreement by now…

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 11, 2024