Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I love Roberts' "anytime now, John" facial expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Daniel Bryan posted:

It's a better looking 2K14.

I'm not surprised. As long as they have to devote resources to the legacy systems and deal with an engine that's had a decade of lovely code layered on top of it, we aren't going to see real improvement outside of the look.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astro7x posted:

I do not understand why they have not attempted to basically recreate No Mercy as a cheap digital only title. With poor low quality characters and all. Didn't that just happen with RBI Baseball? NBA Jam and NFL Blitz were also brought back as barebones digital games

All three sucked out loud.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Regrettable posted:

As long as someone makes some decent modding tools, it should still be alright. That's shady as hell to wait until a week before release to announce that most of the features have been cut, though.

I wouldn't be shocked if they were trying to cram a bunch of stuff into a day-one title update (hence not saying one way or the other if the features were in) but finally threw up their hands and said, "gently caress it, we'll do it next year."

At least they came out and said something. THQ would have gone on Twitter and said that removing all the creation modes was actually a feature aimed at ensuring players' focus is on the in-ring gameplay so they could appreciate all the small tweaks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jubs posted:

Let's take a look at unsuccessful games/franchises Visual Concepts have made:

NFL 2K

The only reason NFL 2K doesn't exist anymore is because EA bought exclusive publishing rights for NFL games.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheJoker138 posted:

Remember Wrestlemania 20 for Xbox and how it was so broken at launch that they had to issue a patch via the Xbox's firmware because there was no way for the game to connect to the Live servers?

Good times.

WrestleMania 21, actually. Because THQ thought it would be a great idea to assign the game to the studio whose only other credit was motherfucking Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

OK, according to 2K15, Punk should still be WWE champion, because I sure as gently caress can't beat him as the Rock in this story mode. Mostly because the game is really, really finicky about where you can do the People's Elbow from.

The engine's been really, really finicky about that for like ten years.

This series is never going to get better until Yuke's gets kicked to the curb.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1st AD posted:

I remember really liking Raw 2

:stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

simosimo posted:

Prepare to be disappointed - wwe games post No Mercy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I mean he never feuded with SCSA, right?

Didn't Austin wrestle Hall at WrestleMania 18 because he didn't want to job to Hogan?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delsaber posted:

Bryan is Pacific Northwest as gently caress, there's no way he doesn't have strong opinions on craft beer.

Wasn't he strictly vegan until his doctors told him that the diet combined with his lifestyle would kill him?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

What the Christ is going on with Foley's tie :psyduck:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

triplexpac posted:

It's interesting hearing pretty glowing reviews here, as opposed to the Giant Bombcast guys just burying the game.

I trust the opinions more here, but Dan is a huge wrestling fan and hates the game so it's interesting to hear the difference of opinion

This is the yearly cycle in PSP. New game comes out, everyone buys it and is all "Hey, this actually feels like an improvement this year," then a month later everyone realizes it's still the same old broken poo poo from Yuke's.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BisonDollah posted:

Any specific team tips from PSP team #1?

Don't play Supercard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

its me glenda posted:

no crowd noise in universe mode in 2k17. if anything, gotta give 2k props for being innovative with their game ruining glitches.

Nothing is ever going to change until Yuke's is sacked as the developer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

As soon as the next gen versions of the game were introduced, the PS3/360 versions got stripped down to barely nothing, so next gen users need to stop complaining that the old gen were what were holding the games back.

Yeah, what's holding them back is the duct tape and glue they've been using to keep Frankensteining the series ever since the first SmackDown game on PS1.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

simosimo posted:

I think the best new of the game is the commentary has been scrapped and they've been forced to make fresh lines with Graves/cole (and Byron I think?). You can here some in the 2 entrance vids.

I'm sure it'll still have Cole saying "a vicious stomp" 317 times a match.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Julio Cruz posted:

SuperCard's new game mode (Ring Domination) is absolute poo poo.

There, that's better.

ribtstu posted:

ign writes about playing the new 2k game. they re-introduced the carry system from SVR 07.

Oh, good, because that worked so well the first time around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

I genuinely don't understand what people want from these games when they bitch about the jank, but then bitch about the anti-jank features too...

The problem is that when Yuke's adds something in what is ostensibly an attempt to fix something that's janky, it winds up breaking eighteen different things elsewhere.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Croc posted:

Remember when we all hoped 2k taking over from yukes would make the game not broken.. And welll now here we are... Still broken.

2K didn't take over from Yuke's. It took over from THQ as the publisher. Yuke's has developed every game since the original.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DLC Inc posted:

on one hand, the Switch is less powerful than a PS4, but on the other hand, DOOM loving runs on it, so I'm just gonna blame this on 2K being dogshit devs since these games are broken anyway. idk how they get away with this every year though I guess people have just accepted it? I'm hoping Fire Pro on consoles gives them competition to drive some kind of change.

Nothing will ever, ever change until Yuke's is fired.

Edit: For God's sake, they're still using animations from the first SmackDown! game on the PS1.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 10, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The point is more that they're still Frankensteining bullshit onto an engine that's nearly 20 years old, and Yuke's will continue to Frankenstein bullshit onto an engine that's nearly 20 years old until 2K elects to go with a different developer (:laffo: at WWE agreeing to something that would derail their yearly release cycle and that sweet licensed products revenue).

TheCool69 posted:

To nobodys suprise EA has made UFC3 a micro transaction/loot box shitshow

https://www.astutegaming.com/single-post/EASPORTSUFC3BETA

EA responded few hours ago

EA's already making plans to respond to this outcry in a different way; their CEO wants to move their yearly sports titles to a subscription model.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 10, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Dudebro posted:

I don't know this for a fact but I like to think the problems with these games are more on the dev cycle/budget then just Yukes' incompetence. They've been doing this for a really long time, they could probably make a solid wrestling game if they had the money or time to do so, but 2K's not going to give that to them for this weird niche sports game that still sells okay every year.

That's a known issue with every yearly sports game. With Madden, for example, when the game finishes "testing" (lol), the team does a postmortem and identifies one big thing they'd like to add one and two years from now, and like three smaller things they want to fix from this year's version. The last few years of Madden had significant dev resource drain because of EA's mandate that all its games run on Frostbite. Because, you know, it's totally easy to make a football game work on an engine written for Battlefield.

But Yuke's is still loving incompetent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Dudebro posted:

Yeah but Madden's a huge seller so they're going to throw way more money at it than they're willing to throw at the wrestling game

My point was that it's hard enough to make a yearly release that doesn't suck even when you're working with current code and technology.

WWE games will continue to be lipstick on a necrotic pig until there's a dev change.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

triplexpac posted:

I feel like this would be like WWE with the Network: the new model makes sense, except when it comes to the financial aspect. I imagine there's not enough new buyers to make up for the loss from people who previously spent $60 on the full game only paying for 3 months sub

They'd probably sell it for $9.99 / month with a 6-month commitment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is untrue for two reasons. One, publishers won't put time and money into a new codebase, it's not worth it for them. And two, when you've got a codebase this old and this mutated from its origins, the people working on it are, more than likely, the only ones who can make sense of the pipeline. The current course is the only rational one for 2K. It has to be this engine and it has to be this developer. Switch engines and you're in for a huge cost sink. Switch developers and they'll be paralyzed by the kludge.

Fine, I will revise my statement: WWE games will continue to be lipstick on a necrotic pig.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, I played a bit of The Arcade Game on my SNES Classic the other day and holy poo poo I forgot how awful SNES wrestling games were.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

projecthalaxy posted:

Mine was hitting people with a bucket. Raw was the only wrestling game i know of to feature bucket based violence

Almost positive Attitude had buckets.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The UFC games are by EA. Who are also, well.

And apparently Microsoft is looking at purchasing EA to shore up its first-party Xbox offerings. Look forward to the UFC games being even more cocked up!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rarity posted:

As part of my ongoing journey through a ton of last-gen games I started playing SvR 2007. The first thing that happens in Season Mode is Stephanie naming Cena the #1 contender because it's "best for business" :suicide:

As I recall, 2007 was a massive step down, they took decent strides with 2008 and then it all went to poo poo with '09.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Testekill posted:

Because, and I hate to say this, 2kYuke's WWE games are poo poo and they don't fix anything that isn't super game breaking.

Fixed that for you. 2K is just the publisher. Nothing will change as long as Yuke's is churning them out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So we've come full circle back to WWF Attitude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Takuan posted:

Tonight @8:05 EST!
GAME Pro Wrestling presents The Pan-Console Grand Prix Night 2!
-Trevor Belmont vs Matt Riddle
-Scorpion vs Princess Peach
-Duke Nukem vs NEMESIS
-Link vs Tracer
-Gilgamesh vs Bowser
-Dracula vs THE DOOMSLAYER
-Ganondorf vs Zangief
-Mettaton vs Solid Snake
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

No one loving cares.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah they suck rear end and are riddled with microtransactions

This is not an exaggeration. The NBA2K games are brazen cash grabs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Testekill posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousEncouragingPuffinUnSane

Here's the highlight of the elimination for anyone that didn't see it

Pro tip: Mute the sound unless you want to hear a pair of jackasses doing a lot of high-pitched squealing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brokenogre posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MasonSteelWWE/status/1185285328464044032

Aparently you fight LITERAL SATAN in the my career mode

Triple H's final form.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chris James 2 posted:

Giant Bomb's Quick Look is also really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsNnOrjhVLs

Dan at 1:01:08 "I know all the hilarious stuff is all the glitches everyone's tweeting, but this game is mostly working as intended so far in this Quick Look [where they show off 1) part of the created-character story mode and 2) part of the 4 Horsewomen showcase], and it still loving sucks"

Other highlights that I've seen so far (I'm a little over an hour in):
5 minutes in Jeff loses it over how bad cover star Becky looks
Around 10:25 in Jeff loses it over how bad Dusty looks
20:55 in everyone loses it over how bad Savage looks
During the first match the gang tells Abby about WWE hating its fans and she's like "relatable"
37:05 Dan shows everyone the MyPlayer points tree/DNA helix, and it takes a full minute for everyone to recover from the sight

How on God's green earth is a nearly two-hour video a "quick look?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FullMetalJackoff posted:

The load times of HCTP and the entrance theme sound quality of No Mercy.

I know Rogue One or X-Wing is a completely silly game, statistics-wise, and small taps into numbers are not exactly going to set the universe on fire as it is; no one is going to look at some giant-rear end, Corellian freighter that looks like the dregs of the galaxy. It's the smaller bits, like Mark Hamill getting completely and utterly engaged as he "fires" on Luke that just desired, for lack of a better phrase

(Suck on it, then, my lovely friend, bur it turned the pottle to havesucky lovely. :) )

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I really hope this game happens someday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuTdgznrl1U

Half the animations are better than what 2K Sports has poo poo out over the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The nL stuff would be much more tolerable if it weren't for the dumbshit who feels the need to giggle at everything, shout out at a spot and generally dominate the discussion.