Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

2k14 was a huge step up that a lot of people missed. Having the AI hit you back and moving away from those awful repetitive reversal animations was big.

Some of the biggest problems with making a good wrestling game (pacing - any kind of "competitive" metagame is completely different from how real wrestling matches are, you just have to hop online and get owned by a 12 year old to figure that one out) actually seem like they aren't that easy to work through and while everyone always talks about A New Engine as if poof, it'll fix everything, I'm not really...sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Holy poo poo

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Refuses to negotiate yesss

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I don't want to buy a PS4 to play a WWE game (because that's a ridiculous thing to do) but 2k14 was a legit good video game, enough to make me think that they got their poo poo together post-THQ.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I thought 2k14 was good, definitely by WWE game standards. It gave me a bit of hope for this one but ~that's what I get for believing~

One of the Giant Bomb guys said what I've been thinking for years: a game that presents a worked sport as a real sport you're actually trying to win will always have hosed up pacing. You see that the most when you're playing online and the other guy is sprinting around the ring for half the match.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

triplexpac posted:

That's one thing that really bums me out about TEW. I wish it was something where there is a X% chance of getting someone really over quickly by putting them in a program with a main event guy.

Another big problem is that there's a huge gap between indy stars and total nobodies when for a big company it shouldn't really matter. Exposing Chris Sabin to a WWE audience and building him up wouldn't be that much easier than building up a "0 overness" guy.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The real issue is honestly that they're faces and they're a trio when everyone else is a tag team. It makes no sense.

A smiley dancey tag team with any two of those guys wouldn't be great and it wouldn't be that over, but it wouldn't be a mess.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I've only played the WS demos a couple times so maybe it has more depth than I think it does - I always thought it would make a good-rear end app or browser game, hard to justify $30 or whatever though.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Was 2k15 a big step down from a gameplay standpoint or was it just bad single player/create tools that made everyone negative about it? I was surprised by how much I liked 2k14, like I still play it every once in a while.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

drat I wish my laptop could run this thing. Imagine...buying a new expensive computer for a low effort port of an old WWE game :spooky:

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

There might not be too many "pick up and play games" out anymore but you'd think Wrestlemans could be something you can just play with roommates - between the pin thing and (really) the control scheme in general, the learning curve is extremely high for what the game is.

There are a ton of hard design choices like that with this series. I'll just settle for anything that makes the wrestlers feel different from each other.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Well re: the new game, even if Raw isn't treating him right, the new game is doing right by Rusev https://instagram.com/p/84HAI3lUWS/?r=1699829137

He even kicks the back and everything :3:

I hope you can assign those taunts to people and get Eva Marie to yell in Rusev's voice

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Sup bb

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The fans of this series probably care as much about the entrances as they do about the way the game plays

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

A vicious stomp!

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I simulated ten years into the future from like a 1998 dataset in TEW just to see wtf the game would spit out and a midget was the undisputed best wrestler in the world

ed: not daniel bryan but like medically a midget

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

TEW2016 announced, nice. Second quarter of this year. I was worried he might just stop making them since 2013 was a big step up.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I think they usually try to tackle things that are happening in real wrestling and shoehorn them into the game database, so a network, internet distribution and more focus on development make sense.

I don't know what the work-around can be for playing as WWE in one of those games. It's just not fun by design, there's way too much to do and time doesn't move fast enough - but the level of minutiae they go for is (imo) perfect for a low indy game where you only have to deal with one show a month or maybe weekly TV.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

It really does, but I keep it on in personal games because I play with big companies with deep, popular benches and without it there's almost no challenge at all in booking a show.

*btw, is anyone running TEW2013 on a Windows 10 machine? I'm getting weird CTD errors whenever I try and start a game or join a new company in the middle of an existing game. I suspect it's some problem with file permissions.

You always have to run it as administrator, if you're already doing that then I'm not sure

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

2k15 PC is really cheap now. Assuming it's still not worth buying (a modern WWE game with a bad create mode?) and the "mod scene" hasn't done much yet.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I was able to get them to reset my key after I told them my laptop got stolen. I'm sure they'll do it for you if you ask, it's hard to expect everyone to remember to deregister their three year old wrestling spreadsheet game before changing machines, running system restores etc.

With a niche product that would stand to lose a lot from piracy, I actually don't blame them for their DRM.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

WWE 2K16 is up for pre-order on Steam ($45). So now we can all experience maybe the best WWE game in ages?

I just hope it runs better than 2k15. You need a lot more than the minimum settings, like my laptop is totally decent (runs GTAV on near-max) and 2k15 is barely playable (and only with no crowd, and only in singles matches)

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Is Terminator in the game?

For some reason, there are two different Terminators in the game.

The entrances are so fuckin creepy with 0% crowd. I love it.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Wait so in CAW mode now in the WWE games, if I want like my head to be thinner or something, instead of going up and down on the Head Thinness Slider I now have to lovingly massage like twelve head shape points on a tiny diagram? And just kind of hope that when I'm done, what I'm dealing with is still approximately a human head? Awww yeah

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I like how every new WWE game seems extremely hard for like an hour, then you get a hold of the new rhythm with reversal timings and it's extremely easy.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Is there any way at all to get the AI to submit in 2k16 when you're not playing? The rest of the AI vs. AI is so good but boy howdy is that part dumb

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I wish TEW had the option to simulate ahead for longer than a year at a time, with any of these management sim games I always love to see what the game engine coughs out in the future

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

If you like EWR and this

then TEW is pretty good

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I do not like the TEW renders with this kind of face and I try to switch them out for an alternate whenever I can. Is this...autism

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I like how they came up with the great idea to customize match length - "short, normal and epic," or whatever it was - so guys would take more or less damage and you could simulate both squash matches and PPV main events. And instead of adding to this feature - maybe making it a long sliding scale, maybe showing how much time it would take to complete an average "epic" or "very epic" or "10/10 epic" singles match, maybe adding a random option so you don't know how long it will go - they got rid of it. And there's no way it's coming back, right?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

rovert posted:

Fleisch has uploaded data for September 2016 for his real world mod for TEW 2016
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533463

I don't play the game a ton but I have no idea why the stats are so much lower across the board than the default database.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

This is the second year in a row I've bought WWE for the PC and had it just straight up not run. Last year, I had an older graphics card so this year I have brand new RAM and a brand new GeForce 1060, should be well above minimum requirements, but nothing happens when I run the executable. Run as administrator? It just runs in the background and nothing happens.

Looks like second year in a row I'm getting a refund for a shoddy PC port.

Not an expert on PC gaming in general but I think this has to be a verify game cache/dual graphics card defaulting to integrated kind of issue. Last year's port wasn't bad, I run it fine on a very average laptop.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

It's good that there are about a hundred different attributes now, including Left Arm Durability and Dick Size

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

There has to be a random character select

r-right?

ed: for normal matches not just battle royals

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 15, 2017

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Bahaha what the gently caress why is there a water level in a wrestling game

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

There are a couple things I'm actually interested in (the squash match option, the different match lengths, Community Creations which always surprises me with how good it is, the "harder AI" that everyone thinks is a thing on launch day before they learn the new reversal timing) but yeah, you're just talking about touchups on a ten year old game.

My guess is this: because wrestling is fake and the pacing of a wrestling video game is all wacky, the online PVP (where the real money is) will always suck rear end compared to real fighters, FIFA or NBA 2K, and it's a smaller property anyway, so why bother.

I'll probably end up buying it for PC, especially since I can get the DLC and stuff like intergender hacked in by someone who probably has a username similar to xXxWWExSLAYERxXx, but it is what it is

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

There are three hitlers and a stephen paddock

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Someone buy the fpw developers an account here at something awful and let me tell them to let us alphabetize characters by name without reordering all 2000 of my ninja turtles by hand.....

The carlzilla mod suite stuff does that, under the "better wrestler organization" tab. It's not the best interface in the world but it's full of neat functionality like that.

Re: the TEW mod, you sure it's not fog of war just saying everyone's "decent" or whatever? Giving everyone the same stats sounds lame even for a TEW mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

There's an option in the mod suite to sort your wrestlers by edit points, which is super useful if you have a lot of stuff and don't know what needs to be nerfed + buffed. Honestly for me having idk Bayley and Rusev be unstoppable monsters that don't wrestle anything like they do in real life because some random person made them that way is part of the dumb charm of the game