Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is TEW 2016 still the defacto management sim? Universe mode in the 2k games was okay until they took away the ability to choose the storyline for your feud (unless I'm just missing how to in 2018).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm excited. The other thing I think is hilarious is how everyone hangs out backstage, which is fine, and my Universe constantly has Akam and Rezar palling around with me, which is rad, but since everyone backstage is in their entrance gear. they decided to chat with me while wearing their full faceless riot masks.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The worked shoot stuff of the WWE 2k career could be interesting if the writing wasn't so terrible and if they went all the way with it. Nothing you do in the game feels any different then your average RAW or Smackdown. Which I guess is the point but when the average show is really terrible that's not what you should strive for. I'm not saying the games should revert to beating up construction workers or anything but the current games are really bland and I don't expect 19 to be different.

It's on the same level as the "Brock isn't willing to drop the title!" poo poo right now really.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
That looks really promising. Totally gonna kick them 15 bucks to support them.

Edit: Haha the scale can go to 6 stars for match ratings.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 23, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

triplexpac posted:

Dang, Adam Ryland has said he isn't planning on launching a new version of TEW before 2020 at the earliest.

2016 had some nice QOL improvements over previous versions, would be nice to keep building on it. Top thing on my wish list would be to play as a child company. Would be interesting to play as NXT, maybe having developmental goals set by WWE and dealing with your top people getting called up.

Is there a good crash course on how to dig into TEW? I started trying to make headway on a TNA 2009 scenario but holy cow there's a lot going on. It's hard to know where to start, let alone how to do poo poo right.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

triplexpac posted:

Do you have any specific questions or issues you're running into? Happy to help, I play way too much of this.

I'm going to try and play more of it, I kind of threw my hands up and then lost my install during a reformat and haven't gotten my key back yet from the devs. I do appreciate the tips, I definitely didn't know what to do with the company product screen, especially when it's like, they want 10% stunts or extreme or whatever the value is, but I don't know what the difference between 10% or 20% or 0% is.

Also I just picked TNA because of the amount of times I said to myself "I could book this poo poo better", and I figured I'd put my money where my mouth is. If I can't cut Xplosion I'll try another company, maybe RoH. I think the scenario I grabbed starts with Impact having no TV deal but Xplosion does, which is kind of the worst of both worlds.

From what I can remember, a lot of it is just overwhelming numbers. There's a lot of values to consider and that's why I got hooked on Journey of Wrestling for a bit. The problem with that game is that it's too far in the other direction: it's so simple that it's impossible to have bad matches unless you're deliberately/forced to use bad guys with bad work rates. It was basically impossible to have below a 5 star show after a certain point, with every single show having 3 or more MotY candidates. I still think that has tons of potential though, and am gonna check back with it every couple weeks.

I figure though if I could bust through the CK2 learning cliff, I can probably do TEW.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, part of the challenge is that the mods are often trying to be "real-world accurate", but don't account for being fun to play. So you can end up in a rough starting position that is hard to pull out of. Kind of similar to how picking the right starting country matters a lot in CK2.

You could also go back to play EWR. It's kind of a middle ground between JoW and TEW.

I'd never heard of EWR, I'll have to look into that. I have a feeling based on how I am that eventually I'd end up in TEW anyway, though, so I'm gonna give that another honest shot.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Part of me wants to get the new game just for a crack at the million dollar tower cause I'm stupid good at these bad games.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

So at first glance the freebirds and von erichs at least are joining Ciampa on the discard pile from last year. Cool. Maybe they will cancel table matches next. Excited to see just how much these devs can undo their jobs for no reason.

I mean there was that one year with the engine transition where they removed virtually every gimmick mode.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Testekill posted:

That was when they introduced the 'ultimate control' moves originally like 10-11 years ago right?

I was thinking more along the lines of WWE2k15. You had an extremely bare bones career mode that ended as soon as you won the WWE title, a pretty lackluster showcase mode (although at least it had one), no custom championships/arenas, probably the worst create a wrestler mode I've ever seen (You couldn't even make women wrestlers!) and a lot of missing match types.

That being said, I don't know if 2k18 was better than 2k15, because 2k18 was also horrendous.

Edit: I was getting the 2k itch and instead decided to learn King in Tekken 7 and it was a far more fun and rewarding experience.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 12, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mary had a little clam posted:

edit: Whoa, Bryan Danielson on the roster? Never thought i'd see the day

B+ player at best.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Apparently 2K19 removed elimination modifiers from multi person matches. You can still do survivor series style matches but no 3 or 4 way elimination matches. 2 steps forward, 1 step back...

Like, why? Why would they remove something like that? It would take a willful act to remove something like that from one game to the next. What is the purpose?

Also I wrote like 2k words on wwe 2k's reversal system today and I don't know what to do with it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
A while ago someone posted about Journey of Wrestling, a browser based booking sim. It just got an update that added gimmicks and overness, which makes it a little more deep, although it's still pretty simple. A lot of the scenarios are still out of date but it's worth checking in on again.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Basic Chunnel posted:

2K19 demonstrates if nothing else that Yukes has the willingness to go winningly stupid with their story mode, even if the gameplay won't go stupid in the same way... not in the way they intend, at least. Not yet.

The problem is still that the only stats that really matter are reversals and stamina, and then reversals are so stupid and so low risk/high reward because momentum is EVERYTHING that there's no reason not to spam out reversals. And if you end up behind in reversal amount, you're screwed.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Steve Vader posted:

Yeah, she's done a bit of high risk, I guess. Por ejemplo.

There has also been some sarcastic grousing that Cena's sculpt should have been done with transparent plastic.

Not only that but the crowd seriously thought she was going to win with a loving high cross. It was a hell of a nearfall.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

coconono posted:

Fire Pro is less prone to physics goofs, which is the flip on the wrestling gameplay coin.

Yes, people want to have compelling 5* epics with their faves BUT people also want to have that weird moment where a chairshot on top of a ladder causes the ring to inflate and explode.

https://gfycat.com/unfinishedconscioushectorsdolphin

I was waiting for this to happen in a real match but it never did. :(

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean the problem with the modern 2k games is there isn't really any back and forth. The only thing that matters is how many reversals you have and whether or not you have a signature/finisher ready. So out of the nearly one hundred stats or whatever you have to customize your character, the only thing that really matters is Reversals (For pure quantity, damage doesn't really matter) and Momentum (For quicker signatures/finishers). I was going to try and make a minimum rating character besides those two stats and see how well I could do but :effort:

To really improve the game you'd have to rework the core systems from the ground up.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean part of the issue with a pro-wrestling game is that you're effectively recreating the wheel of what fighting games have already done. While you could make a WWE Fighting game that's just all your favorites in a 2d Street Fighter style game, I don't think it would actually stand out at all beyond the branding. You'd lose the performance and storytelling aspect of it, and I think that's what's the trickiest part of it. It's not enough to just have two dudes slap each other until one falls down. There's pinfalls and submissions and ropebreaks and ring escapes and all sorts of other poo poo that wouldn't really work in that type of combat. You'd basically have to do a game that has Mortal Kombat's fatality system that your opponent can escape from and try to make a comeback from 5% health or whatever, and I'm not sure that'd be that fun to actually play.

So you end up with this super janky hodgepodge game that is absolutely jam packed with stuff and numbers and systems and none of them matter at all, but then it also really wants to be a true to "life" simulation of WWE TV and it just completely falls apart somehow even further.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

KungFu Grip posted:

I hope with Hogan being the main story we get playable Akeem and Zeus.

Playable IRS, Beefcake in a Face Mask, WCW Warrior, Bischoff, Jay Leno, Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone

For all the celebs they'll probably do what they did with Tyson in the Austin career mode and replace him with a generic wrestler like THE BODYGUARD.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Basic Chunnel posted:

For those who want to play a good game, SLAMMED! is on sale

I picked this up and finished it twice in the past week. It's so funny how wwe 2k19 tried to do a similar version of this games story but because it's WWE'd up, it's completely ridiculous and impossible to take seriously.

Slammed! Rules.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

jesus WEP posted:

I bought Slammed! too and it’s cool but I honestly think they should have just made it so Wrestling Is Real In This Story because the work/shoot hybrid is kinda clunky to me

I agree but I enjoy the ride so much that it doesn't bug me as much as it should.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

coconono posted:

I don't think you can top Chocolate Drop so why even have story creator included ever again.

I am still waiting for the much anticipated sequel of Ghost Problems.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Fat Lowtax posted:

The gameplay of 2k19 is decently customizable (stuff like making resiliency charge faster has a big effect) but I wish there was an option to just do the pins/submissions without the minigame, treat you like an AI.

A lot of modern games don't care about local multiplayer anymore but these games are, like, actively hostile.

As someone who's played waaaay too much mDickie's wrestling Mpire which did pins/submissions that way, you don't actually want that.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Wrestling Mpire might be horrible but goddamn if it's not the funniest thing to kill another wrestling in the ring with chairshots, get cleared of responsibility and then headline his memorial show the next week.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

Once, while playing a Royal Rumble in No Mercy, the bell rang, and the CPU wrestler immediately ran across the ring and clotheslined me over the top rope.

I accidentally locked myself into the royal Rumble in 2k18 on the highest difficulty from the number 1 spot. The only way I was able to win was by deliberately putting all the wrestlers that came in on the top turnbuckle and kicking them off because they were way less likely to counter and immediately throw you out instead.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Fat Lowtax posted:

They used a fake voice for John Cena last year. John Cena opened his mouth and some other dude's voice came out. Should have went a step further and did all the Shield showcase stuff, with Dean Ambrose replaced by a completely different game model named "Jeff"

When they did the Steve Austin showcase they replaced Tyson with a white guy named "The Enforcer".

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Last year's was the most confounding with a random disturbed song on it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
https://gfycat.com/unfinishedconscioushectorsdolphin this was the best part of wwe 2k19 and it happened to me within an hour of launching the game. It was all downhill from there.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Do they not want people making AEW's belts or something?

I seriously have no clue why you'd remove CAC except for that.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

Has anyone actually paid $60 for the wwe game, ever? Seems like most people wait til the inevitable panic sale and do that

I bought that first one on pc on launch. That's it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Just play SLAMMED! tbh

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Actually I do have the wwe 2k bug a bit but I think I'll just reinstall 2k18 or whichever one had the career mode that was basically just do x things to get into the hall of fame.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

What the gently caress is this lame rear end poo poo?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

How on God's green earth is a nearly two-hour video a "quick look?"

:thejoke:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

forkboy84 posted:

I cannot get over how lovely the story mode in WWE2k20 is. So poorly written even compared to last year, the framing of flashbacks interspersed with the Hall of Fame induction is really boring, the whole "do this thing to progress" meaning that even when you're completely dominating you go into a cutscene where the male character promptly does something very boneheaded & loses. That sure makes for satisfying gameplay. And generally the male character is so bad that his stupidity isn't endearing, it just makes him contemptible. Why the gently caress are you meant to care about him at all? I get he's meant to be comedy relief but it's comedy written for a 7 year old. Or Vince McMahon I guess, on a par with Dean Ambrose's gas mask shtick.

So what you're trying to say is that it's good poo poo?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
WWE 2k20's story mode is like Vince saw the Spike Lee NBA game story and was like "do that".

And then he ripped up the script a month before the game went gold.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Astro7x posted:

Target Black Friday ads are out.

You should feel bad if you bought this game at full price

30 dollars too much for 2k20

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

triplexpac posted:

I picked up that Journey of Wrestling game again. It’s fun, the dev has been consistently adding features over the last year. It’s a nice compliment to TEW if you want something that is less deep and moves a lot quicker.

I just want him to make it into an app rather than a website, it would be perfect for playing on the subway.

I just ran an angle that generates a random feud. Now I have to do Kenny Omega vs Allie for the world title.

Journey of Wrestling is absolutely tremendous.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does anyone have links handy to some of newLEGACYinc's best stuff? I only started watching recently, like the highlights from this years Royalest Rumble and the 2k20 storyline mode, and I enjoy them.

While I don't have the link on hand, the saga of NL Slip in Wrestling Revolution 2d needs to be witnessed either in highlight form or its entirety. I think there's a Playlist of highlights on their channel as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

but then how will you play the new story mode and find out that all wrestling fans are idiots who should be killed? Its an important part of the experience

New Legacy Inc needs to continue their playthrough. I must find out what happens to "Lunchbawx" Louis Chador and Mrs. Helena Sal