Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Edit: has anyone seen an in game Caw on new gen yet? Can't wait to see if they still look like cartoons next to the actual roster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHzKyT4hVg

posted in this thread when the vid came out originally.

at least "oh my god this first game on a new console is not all steps forward!" is more entertaining to read through than pavlovian card chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
poo poo, someone get bill from marketing onto the tech team. Can't have him waste his time on packaging and getting Hulk to sign stuff, he needs to be working on create a story instead!

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
don't get me wrong, i'm excited to be disappointed in ways that only yukes can manage, but i'm honestly not shocked, and personally not bothered since i never used most of that crap anyway, that that kind of stuff would be cut first

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Cyberball 2072 posted:

the yukes defense squad is running out of excuses.

Are you 12? do you use the words "xbot" and "micro$oft" when typing to other people?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Nut Bunnies posted:

I'm interested to see what their excuse will be next year, since they won't be able to lean on "Well it was a transition year" like they have in the last two.

if it helps i'll say right now i'm not expecting next year to be amazing, either. more dramatic gameplay changes, hopefully continuing to rip out awful yukes PS1 era code and engine crap, return of some of the removed stuff, but not all of it, and continuing online issues that 2K have been with the NBA games for a couple of years now so far.

and I'll probably still buy it (or skip a year as I've been doing) because there's no other wrestling game out there, and because it will generally move the whole package in a positive direction. problem is they've got a lot of ground to make up, and aren't going to inflate the budget to do it.

spongeh fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 17, 2014

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

coconono posted:

JR and Lawler always sound so enthused when they're doing VO work.

I'm surprised WWE hasn't forked over mic only audio for Yukes or whoever to splice and play with. Given a large enough sample size, you could probably invent new material out it(think like Siri). But you know innovation, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

YEA!! why DOESN'T 2k have a computer speech research lab for their sports game! fuckin just trying to make a quick buck off of DLC instead of trying to solve very hard computer science problems for their games!

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
people also found crashes in halo:mcc on day 1 that result in full stacktrace/frame information dumped onto the screen, which is supposed to be an instant horrible cert failure, but here we are.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Stardust did a top 10 games list for Giant Bomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/stardust-s-top-10-games-of-2014/1100-5137/

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Delsaber posted:

But what happened to that art we saw last week of Roman Reigns as a literal Roman soldier? He's got more of a generic space marine thing going on now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_kWuFOrItI

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
at least this skinner box has some vague tenses of gameplay!

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

triplexpac posted:

Haha so they just announced a new Supercard sale, 50% off all card packs but you can only buy one per day? Guess they don't want money from whales?

is this supposed to be a bad thing? that they don't want their game to be taken over by whales?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
http://www.wwe.com/inside/2k/wwe-2k15/wwe-2k15-windows-pc-announcement-this-spring-27315901

it's happening!

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

triplexpac posted:

It may be a completely mediocre game, but this news makes me really happy

official 2k spokesperson John Cena has put my fears to rest with his real quotes in the announcement, however.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
not shipping every year doesn't make the rosters anymore up to date. they still need to cutoff at a certain point so the assets can be created. it just means players will be playing with a roster that's 30 months out of date by the time the next game comes out instead of 18. whether you release every year or every 2 years, creating a complete character is still going to require x months of work before the game's shipping date

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/38621825267808572/B4FADFFF0C274CAE1E187AE4ACB706BE50DCFCF3/

yup

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I was too slow on the screenshot. That smoke was from Cesaro being on fire. Yea it's replay only. Seems like an average port otherwise.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
bink is optimized for streaming off of discs/disks. putting it inside another container format just adds needless cpu overhead for playing back videos. there is nothing wrong with leaving the videos open in a folder like that.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jesus Christ I hope that guys going to be the exception rather than the rule, insular circle jerking mod communities are the loving worst.

Same forum is responsible for the guy who made the packer tool, who is charging a $14 "mandatory donation" so... yea I think they're going to all be horrible people.

Hoping an open source unpacker will come out, I'd love to see if any of them or the other author bitches about it.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

RBX posted:

Blame the paid mods thing and valve. They screwed with the entire community with that.

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Nah, the mod community has always been filled with insane people who dont want others to "steal" their work

this, and xpacker and xray have been "mandatory donations" for a quite long time now.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Gough Suppressant posted:

You're a complete idiot. This has been like that for a long, long time.

I actually don't have a problem with the xpacker guy charging for his programs since they seem to be a significant time investment, are very useful, and the older versions can be found for free.

The "I won't post download links, only send to people I trust" kind of thing is loving garbage though and that guy should get in the bin.

it's more of the label "mandatory donation" just loving call it a paid product don't pretend that it's some sort of alturism.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

woo boy this looks bad and basically rock paper scissors

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
It helps that the Impact game was off the shelf Unreal Engine, compared to the Yukes poo poo that apparently still had PS1 code in it even today.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Minidust posted:

I thought PC modding would allow them to replace the "Main Event" graphic overlays and things like that. I'm sure those CAWs took a lot of effort but what about them involved modding? Maybe I've just been spoiled by really good CAWs over the years... I mean even on consoles they had some insane CAWs based on some sort of PC texture editing tool.

They're new models, not CAWs. But yea, they don't seem particularly amazing looking, but they are definitely doing stuff past the constraints of both the new and old CAW system.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
it's fun to figure out who they body scanned and who didn't.

see: tyler breeze

that or their hair rendering is just that bad. that line between beard and skin texture on roman reigns is pretty funny. i get that you're not going to see it in a real match, but then don't release 4K screenshots that close up.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

projecthalaxy posted:

If I'm reading that correctly they are using Virtual Pro Wrestling style reversal tokens, instead of a timing based reverse button. That's a big change.

you aren't. you still need to time it correctly.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's the long con. Get people outraged this year from their exclusion (but not outraged enough to not buy the game), put divas in a more prominent role next year, release a special edition with a diva on the cover so they get all that sweet press for being so progressive and :homebrew:

they can do all of that just as successfully without leaving them out this year

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
2K just scans everyone. it's real dumb and probably just lovely priorities but it's not like you can just scan someone and throw them in the game.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
while it is clear that 2k is supporting their attempts to get their engine up to a modern level, their tech is so far behind that they're going to be severely limited by what they can do in realistically 6-8 months without risking breakage. there's no reason (and it appears they finally got this in this year) that there should be loading screens if you watch through the ring intros, for instance. but streaming assets asynchronously is only that only became realistic with the 360/ps3's multiple cores

i also believe their tech didn't even support normal mapping before 2k came in. they were just making up for it by throwing characters with hundreds of thousands of tris. they have the talent to some degree looking at ufc undisputed 3, but they have so much technical debt that they need to overcome first.

and that's without even getting into the gameplay of it, but i just think trying to present a fake thing as if it's a real competitive sport in a game is never going to work. i don't find any of the wrestling games to be any fun, especially when compared to fighting games. and i'm not even good at those. i just play it because i like wrestling.

spongeh fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 12, 2015

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Gaz-L posted:

I see this complaint all the time and it baffles me. What would you prefer? A game where you're working the match? A: What would that even look like? Octodad? and B: Even if there's a good way to do it, who's the audience? Your average WWE 2K player doesn't care about how Heath Slater's selling makes him the best worker to do a squash match, they want to pretend to be Brock Lesnar in kayfabe and kill dudes.

It's like a perfect storm of unfun and unmarketable.

i don't know! all i can really say is if wrestling games didn't have wrestlers in them there would be nothing appealing to me about them, even no mercy and wcw/nwo revenge and such. i've had fun with fire pro despite not knowing any japanese wrestling, but i'm not a huge fan of the sprite style. i've definitely enjoyed the 80s arcade games, not so much the wwf raw style games for the snes though. maybe the whole concept is just unworkable at a really basic level for me. i usually end up picking up the games every other year, or on sale, but it's due to the strength of wwe's characters, and not based on the merits of the gameplay.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Narrator posted:

Strikes me as difficult for the WWE PC games to ever get much of a mod scene of they have a yearly release cycle. 2k16 would probably be the better bet as far as getting good-looking custom characters (and create-a-stadium and all the other features) if it ever gets a PC release, but still not worth full price. 2k15 "mod scene" is mostly custom superstars from what I can tell, but they still end up looking a bit off because of the toolset they're working with.

I don't think I even played 2k16 on console more than a few times since I bought it. The tediousness/clunkiness of the mechanics finally caught up with me, and the career mode was such a drag it took forever for anything to actually happen.

the mod scene on PC is always going to not be great because the only people making tools to view/edit files are charging stupid amounts of money, and the smacktalks community is filled with a whole bunch of people that can't do anything for themselves

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
anything >$0 is stupid amounts of money for mod tools for pc games that don't even have a lot of people in it in the first place. they're also generally garbage and aren't worth >$0 on their own merits.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I've definitely seen people doing modded intergender stuff that I think just flags that character as a man or a woman but I don't know the specifics.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
If they don't build the 2K showcase around goldberg it'd be real dumb, but it's not like austin hasn't ever been in the WWE games either.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/08/09/wwe-2k17-finn-balors-full-ring-entrance

woo boy does that not look good.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Basic Chunnel posted:

Citing game industry experience without naming shipped titles is... not encouraging

Big hitters

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
$6.4k after 2 days. As if it wasn't obvious from the start... yea this thing doesn't have a shot in hell, esp not for a $280k goal.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Minidust posted:

Clunkiness aside, "subscribing" to a CAW is pretty great, if it really works the way it sounds (dynamically updating the CAW as the original creator makes new edits).
:vince:

You'll get updates when the author updates it in Steam Workshop.

No clue how well Workshop works when you have hundreds if not thousands of wrestlers and other items like I'm sure some people will manage, but we'll see I suppose! Hopefully someone figures out how to package a whole bunch into one file, so you can just subscribe to a WWE pack.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Shellman posted:

Is there a good guide for how to play a Fire Pro game somewhere? Went through the tutorial stuff and got fairly comfortable with the grappling timing, but then it dumps you into "win a match by pinfall" and I have so many questions still. (Do you have to input something to kick out of pins or fight out of submissions? Dragging yourself to the ropes? How do you counter something?)

There's a tutorial in mission mode, which I think is under offline play. Play that. I had no clue how to play either.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Honestly, I've found FPW easier to pick up than the WWE games, but I haven't finished the tutorial yet so I don't know what stuff I"m missing out on. Especially since I don't play the WWE games enough to maintain knowledge of the controls from year to year. I'm often relearning most of them for each game, and I don't think I bought 2k17 on any platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

simosimo posted:

FPR was as soon as the wrestlers 'clicked' , now it seems to be when the grapple animation stops completely you should grapple. I thought the game was broken, but after doing the tutorial missions I am now ready to rumble again.

Oh and also, If you are an ultra wide user like me, you need to edit regedit to get the game to run in 21:9

If you know how to use regedit go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\spikechunsoft\FireProWrestlingWorld\ and edit the Screenmanager Resolution Width_h/Height_h to 1440/3440 in Decimal.

The game renders the menus in 16:9 but the game plays in 21:9, as far as I've tested.

This looks like it's cutting off the top and bottom to achieve the aspect ratio.