Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's not so bad, at least this time I wont be playing the game for a week before it sets in just how disappointing it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

GenericMartini posted:

I wanted to convert some myself but the links to the converter on Fire Pro Club are dead.

http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/

The Club is pretty dead now but the arena is still pretty active and everyone from the club is pretty much there now.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Madtrixr posted:

Anyways while we're on this topic, let's gush more about how good VPW2 is. The shoot-fight mode is actually more thought out than I was expecting, actual takedowns and mounts. I'm not an MMA guy but I won't lie it's pretty fun.

It is so great. I have thousands of matches logged in that. I love that the game keeps full win, loss, and draw stats for each wrestler. The only thing I don't like about it is how god drat long it takes unlock all the stuff in the Royal Road succession. It is the only reason I still have my N64 ready to go under my tv.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 stuff

Region blocking is just physical tabs. My old copy literally just has them sawed off, not that I would recommend that if you have another way.

This is a decent translation guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/576850-virtual-pro-wrestling-2-oudou-keishou/faqs/6766

And here is a good edit guide, if pretty out of date now, for all the non AJPW guys in the game, as they are changed visually for copyright reasons: http://web.archive.org/web/20050212214351/http://home.att.net/~jfarnham/VPWedit.txt

The edit guide is in order, but includes unlockable wrestlers and some of the edits have parts that need unlocking as well, so a save that gets you all of that would help you immensely.

Finally booting the game something like 20 times will unlock all the WCW revenge moves, and I think it's 40 times for all the WWF Wrestlemania 2000 moves. I could be wrong on those numbers, but when you hit the right number it will show a silhouette of a wrestler doing a move from that game when you start the game indicating that you have unlocked them.

This guide has some good stuff in it that can be easy to overlook, including how to unlock all the stuff: http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/576850-virtual-pro-wrestling-2-oudou-keishou/faqs/6901

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 22, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you have the difficulty high, the AI will eat you up, especially in tag matches. If you have the difficulty low, It will just take forever because there are a lot of matches in the Royal Road Succession season mode, and the unlocks require you to get to various points of it with a variety of characters, all of whom you have to start over with.

Tag matches are great in this game bye the way, you will have to fight like hell for your finishes in them, its just that doing a million of them in a row to unlock one guy, a mask and some arm bands will really test your patience.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 22, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WWE 2k15 is on Steam now. Will release on the 28th. $44.99 right now.

VV Cool, thanks. VV

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 22, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Minimum requirement lists directx 11. My old tank may not be up to the job if it wont run in 10, bummer.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On the PC it at least has the chance to rise up above itself and only be mostly bad.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A lot of what made the AKI games good was in things that are simply done differently than in the Smackdown series. There were different reversal styles, so a giant never flip arm-dragged out of power-bombs. One of the best things was how running attacks could be countered into arm-bars or guillotine chokes, making them far more risky than in the Smackdown series. Also, while there was a timing system in place for avoiding and reversing strikes, and for avoiding grapples, the reversals of grapple moves into other moves was based on randomness and momentum, meaning that the AI could actually put up a fight without the matches turning into a reversal repetition derby. The AKI games were the last Wrestling games I have ever played that felt relatively balanced for multi-player. They were also the last ones I played where a hard difficulty didn't mean reversal spam city.

Strikes and top rope moves had a solid feel to them that really has never been bettered. Animations as a whole were fantastic. You could actually hit rebound strikes off the ropes into running opponents, something the Smackdown series has made really hard since the introduction of free run. No Mercy had a great weapons set up, no physics, but they didn't drop through the ground and could be used in moves, little is more satisfying than repeatedly beating a dudes head into the ring-bell in that game.

That is not to say they didn't have issues, they were ugly to a fault. CAW, though good for its time is pretty limited now. There have been a lot of new moves introduced since 2001, and they can be missed playing this series. The two WCW games had a glitch that could get you out of pins and submissions at will. No Mercy had the famous progress deletion glitch and removed some of the better reversals from the previous games. There were no finisher reversals, though you could reverse strikes into finishers.

All together though its a fun series, and maybe still the best one to play with friends to date. If you have a PS2 with no region locks, I would also suggest King of Colosseum 2, which may be the best wrestling sim of all time.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 26, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well yeah, the Def Jam games looked great. The game-play started going in interesting directions too. I really wish we got the canceled Backlash game, the WCW jumps between No Mercy and then would have made for a really cool roster.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 26, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The worst part about the Yukes games by far is the reversal system. The way they are set up, reversals make up like 75 percent of the game play once you get good at the timing. Despite this Yukes has never really put any effort into making reversals fun or interesting at all. Reversals dominate the game, yet it may be the main stream wrestling series with the least variety of animations for them.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure you can only turn off reversal damage, which only makes the reversal fest matches last longer. The sliders just make the timing more precise, but the timing is easy, so the reversals continue. Can you turn off reversals on next gen? Seems it would make the game pretty much unplayable.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 27, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You could block, reverse, or dodge strikes and grapple attempts by timed button presses of L for grapples and R for strikes. Actual grapple move reversals and stuff like diving to ground reversals were partly random, partly based on spirit meter. Different fighting styles had different reversal animations. No Mercy cut down a bit on some of the Japanese style reversals the earlier games had, like the german suplex no sell to running strike. The lack of full control on reversals didn't allow you to dominate the game like the fully timing based setup in the Smackdown games do. To be fair Fire Pro has a similar problem with its timing based game-play, but if you put the difficulty high enough in it you will lose grapples.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 27, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Any issue with timing based game-play aside, Fire Pro had interesting and varied reversals. I never got timing down perfectly from difficulty 5 up anyway, so it at least could be challenging when you wanted it to be. What issues I have with Fire Pro come mostly from endless amounts of chop, stomp, and abdominal stretch finishes.

The WWE games of late suffer similarly, as so many matches end in abdominal stretches and chinlocks. SVR 2008 had a pretty good fix for that actually, you had to take an ability that let you win matches with non finisher submissions. SVR 2008 was otherwise one of the worst in the series however.

I never got to play Giant Gram 2000, only ever heard of it, Is it better than King of Colosseum 2?

The bad finishes in FP are way worse when simming, if you are into that.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 27, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I would say No Mercy reversals are mostly based on spirit meter. Fire pro works a lot like what you mentioned. I actually kind of forgot about FP auto reversals for trying big poo poo too early because I have gotten so used to the gameflow that I just instinctively move up to bigger moves right around when they become viable now. Getting too good at wrestling games actually kind of sucks alot of the fun out of them.

I like how submissions are handled to a point in Fire Pro, being based on spirit more so than on limb damage. The big name guys should take forever to tap in wrestling, even when you're pulling on a broken leg. I like how the AKI games handle limb selling though. Needs to be a good middle ground found there.

Did Fire Pro Returns lower the amount of time holds are held? All the 5 count DQ moves break on their own way too fast to actually get DQ'd. Though, now that I think about it, that could just be me using slow counting refs.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 27, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One of the cool and potentially infuriating things about the AKI games spirit system is that it cools down over time simulating the flow of a back and forth match. It is the only wrestling series that lets you play both as Larry Zybysco, and in the way Larry Zybysco is meant to be played. Taking a breather on the outside when the other guy goes all no sell on you. Against a human opponent it even gets heat on par or better than spamming running attacks in a Smackdown game, and has the benefit of being true to genre. Although Roman Reigns seems to have built a lot of his style around spamming running attacks.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 27, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Once you have the timing for reversals down in a particular game in this series, you will only rarely ever take a grapple move. I wish they went back to two button Strike/grapple reversals like in the first few Smackdown's, made game-play more interesting.

Another thing the early Smackdowns and AKI games did better were Rumbles. This boring as poo poo meter based elimination game is tedious as all hell and I long for the days when stray strikes and gorilla pressing giants could eliminate people without warning. In the modern series 90% of the time you eliminate people in ways that in a televised rumble would just be a rest spot.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 29, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That lovely AI, while extremely lovely still, is a massive improvement over couple of years ago when the CPU opponent would just stand there a lot of the time doing nothing, or spin you around on the turnbuckle endlessly, or exhibit obsessive tendencies toward the announce table. 2K14 was a really big improvement just by having the AI be more aggressive.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That was only a thing in WWE 13, it was fixed in 2k14. Still haven't played next gen 2k15, my 2009 gaming laptop has turned into a pumpkin and I have no interest in a next gen system before I get a newer PC. I have played way too many of these goddamn games over the years, the only reason I persist is an unrequited love for pro wrestling and the fact that this series, as of last gen anyway, still has the best creation suite for characters I have found.

Another little tidbit from 2013, if I remember right, is that in the roll-up pin sequence the AI would never kick out of the backslide at the end. It's no wonder Ric Flair always seemed so terrified of backslides.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 29, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I will take an absolute mess with potential on pc over a moderately broken console game any day. Just look at what modders did for Saints Row 2. 2K15 PC will work correctly someday, even if it takes a ton of work. WWE 13 still doesn't have 2 counts.

I just remembered that for quite a few years releases, copying CAW outfits into a different attire slot would reset the Wrestler's moveset.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Does it still have the Osaka street cutter in it? That is a move animation that I don't think has changed since Smackdown 2 on the PS1.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You at one point could also grab and hide behind a ref, who when you tossed him away would seek out your opponent like a guided missile to collide with him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One of the dumb things about CAW in last gen Smackdown that dates back many years now is that high heeled shoes do not make the wearer taller. The CAW's shins just shrink to accommodate the new height of the foot. With a short enough wrestler and tall enough shoes you can replicate the injuries of Cotton Hill.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yukes wrestling games are unstable in general. For a pretty solid run of playing recently my reason for stopping and doing something else was 2K14 or 15 just freezing randomly.

On last gen, for a couple of years now you can have falls count anywhere matches in universe, even though they are not matches you can book yourself. They were removed when match editing was introduced a few years back because they became redundant due to the falls count anywhere option being in the editor. Because they were removed the options for them cant be edited permanently, meaning if you decided to turn off replays for instance, you will be stuck with them there unless you edit them every time. I turn off replays because they tend to be a hotspot for freezing. Additionally, Universe mode has a fetish for Falls count anywhere matches and almost books them as much as submission matches.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 19, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I absolutely love that there are occasional JR calls for guys who weren't even in the game last time he was a regular in game announcer.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The true question how far back do we go with Austin, I'm hoping for his greatest opponent, Savio Vega.

I also want his spinebuster back, he has been in almost every game for the last ten years and I think they took his spinebuster out in 08.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That's how I first got my taste of Fire Pro too. Another good one on SNES is Fire Pro Queens Special which is a Joshi game. When I play now though I just play Fire Pro Returns on the PS3, as you can get it on psn classics and it has the benefit of being in English. It does everything X premium does and a lot more. though I do sometimes miss the slightly slower pace and just about every move in the game sending the wrestler flying out of the ring end over end..

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Can you critical on shin kicks?!
It's just a pin after the crumple sell isn't it?

E: Almost all wrestling games have the weak finish problem, including unfortunately, most of the best ones. IE Fire Pro, King of Colosseum II. Some of the SVR's had an abilities system that made it so you couldn't finish matches with submissions unless they were finishers or you had a submission master ability, but those games were otherwise pretty bad.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 19, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On last gen, for the last two years, I have never managed to finish a mixed gender tag match without the computer getting disqualified for hitting a diva.
Once during a universe mode cut scene, Andre the Giant attacked AJ Lee with a pipe.
Every time an Undertaker Wrestlemania match happens in Universe in 2k15 the undertaker wins the non title bout and the cut scene after it shows the undertaker as the loser and the other guy as the WWE champion.
It's actually something like a 50/50 chance as to whether the guy who jumped a wrestler in a cut scene will be the wrestler who is knocked out on the ground at the start of a match.
In universe mode, sometimes playing early tag matches on a show will result in the game seeming to freeze, it doesn't actually freeze, it just takes about ten minutes to load the next screen.
Sometimes when a match ends the guys in the ring just stop moving, the victory screen doesn't appear and you have to restart the game to get past it.
Both of those previous issues will happen again if you try to do the same match after restarting.
A good amount of moves have no sound effects including the new stone cold stunner.
Some of the moves from the path of the Warrior pack, like the new warrior splash, will freeze the game in create a move-set if you preview it.
The titles are all called wrong, and created titles are not immune to announcing fuckery.
Uploaded Create a Wrestlers will sometimes vanish from the server, but will still count as one one of your uploads, and unlike the uploads that still appear, you cant replace it, effectively lowering the amount of created items you can have up.
All of these apply to WWE 2k15 on the PS3, I'm remusclaw and i'm an addict.

Extra: There really isn't much reason to play these games anymore, I do it out of habit and the fact that I like creating wrestlers, and even that has little appeal when the game is such a mess. Next gen looks terrible for CAW and last gen hasn't updated CAW much at all in a few years, we got one new hair style a year or two back and a couple of body textures in one of the DLC's last year. The created characters look the same as they did in SVR 2011, and the in game wrestlers on last gen have never looked as good again as they did on the 360 version of SVR 2007.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 11, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So the venerable Fire Pro club website closed down about a week or two ago, and as of right now, Fire Pro Arena is down too. The former is a permanent closing from what I read at Arena, and Arena being down is new to me. Hopefully its temporary, because I cant think of many other places to get big edit packs.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I created a pumping Iron era Arnold for WWE 2013. Give us that and he fits right into a wrestling game, as is. Plus they get some use out of that flexing tech they put in some years back.
Give him an entrance t shirt and put him in his body building attire, he looks no more out of place than the Von Erich who wrestled shoe-less.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 3, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Perfect recreation of the 70's and 80's locker room environment.

E: It will suck if hes old guy Arnold in face and body.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What problems they have aside, and there are a few, King of Colosseum 2 and Fire Pro R get one thing perfect, and that is a dedicated A.I. adjustment menu that lets you fine tune each wrestler into acting like an individual.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On the one hand, he doesn't get tired, he will not stop until you are dead.
On the other hand his work rate is atrocious.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I do really like how the AKI movesets make a lot more sense in the Puro world. Moves I laughed at when I was a teen who only knew WWF are now awesome.

They really do, back in the day I was always baffled as to why pile-drivers were so poo poo tier in AKI games.

some differences between WM 2000 and VPW2
Shoot fighting and free combo fighting styles
Shot fight match styles
A small but effective caw logic menu
A cool mask creater in caw
Running grapples
Full win/loss/draw records for every wrestler

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 10, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nah VPW2 was the first with running grapples. Kobahi had his running neck-breaker and Akiyama an exploder.

No Mercy has persistent weapons.
New animations like the 360 sell for clotheslines and the spaz out sell for top rope dives.
removed a lot of reversals like the german suplex no sell into a running attack
Had Slowdown in matches with more than 2 wrestlers.
removed created titles with records replaced them with WWF titles, but left out records
Better textures

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Apparently turning the music off helps with the slowdown, nothing however helps with the random and regular deletion of all your progress.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Weren't dirty pins in the game like 5 years ago? It's funny seeing "new features" added that the game had in the past.

They are still in on the last gen version of 2K15.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That the no kick stunner was a cut-scene bums me out, the last time that was an in game move was the Acclaim games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Archbishop Karaoke posted:

Go back and watch the Stunner in 1996 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3fTqzN_SLs - it was a lot less theatrical for the first year (or at least until Royal Rumble 1997).

Oh I know. I was just hoping for proof that is was in the moves list. Back when WWF Warzone was the only game I had, it was the stunner I used to finish as Stone Cold because it had a way easier button combo than the kick version. I always liked how the stunner looked like it killed people early in that run, but I can see why he changed it up.

E: The Yukes games have had a long history of adding cool looking versions of a move in a story cut-scene but not actually putting in the game. Vader's moonsault a few years back is a prime example.

The move-sets have always been weird, they remove too many moves that guys need to feel right, like a ton of Booker T's kicks and his knee drop, and Austin's stomps and his over the shoulder spine-buster. The game that came out a year before they made a deal with Macho Man to be in the game, they actually added some of his moves and taunts, I am pretty sure this is where we got that weird version of his elbow drop that moves too fast. Well they also added his rope hang clothesline, where he grabs a guy by his head and runs and drapes his throat over the top rope. Great right? Well the next year Macho is actually going to be in the game, and lo and behold, his rope hang clothesline is gone, never been replaced either.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 26, 2015