Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Is there or was there supposed to be some big emphasis on tag teams in this game? I like that The Natural Disasters and The Bushwhackers are in WWE 2k17, but I don't really understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

remusclaw posted:

The new No Mercy has long been the promise of every new non WWE game and has always proven a mirage. Nobody ever go's and hires Syn Sofia(AKI), they just say oh, were making the new No Mercy and all you end up with is the TNA game and (eventually) what Pro Wrestling X turned into.

I'll always wonder how much Syn Sophia would even charge to license the Aki wrestling engine, if they just sold it to EA or lost the source. The nostalgia is big enough that I imagine you could build an online version of No Mercy with generic wrestlers and at least make enough money to do a nicer version second time around.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

Don't feel bad. I've been buying these things every year since Smackdown 2 (skipped 3 because I didn't have a ps2 until SD4 came out. Best Xmas) and every year I tell myself I won't Pre-order.

I am mark for these dumb games.

You should be happy you missed Smackdown 3, it took up more than half of your memory card.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

GenericMartini posted:

so nintendo has a partnership with Spike Chunsoft, so that whole rumor of Fire Pro for the new nintendo console might be true?

Well, if the Switch is the replacement for the Wii U and the 3DS, it's much more likely that Spike Chunsoft would be making a Danganronpa, Fossil Fighters, Shiren the Wanderer or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game for the system. It's not impossible, but don't get your hopes up.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

How do MMA matches work in the FirePro engine? I remember seeing a much older version of the game where there was a cage, but it didn't have the grappling positions that the UFC games have.

If I recall correctly, they're essentially normal matches with rounds, no pins, submission and KO only. I don't remember if you can irish whip people into the cage. It doesn't change a wrestler's moveset to be more MMA-esque or anything like that.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I don't understand why they position the ring like that.

It's for practicality purposes. Isometric perspective is used because that way you only have to draw the characters from two directions (22.5 front facing and 112.5 degrees back facing) and then mirror them. If you had the ring head on and wanted to use the front and back ropes you'd have to draw an additional direction, and front and back views are sort of difficult to animate in. It also makes it too likely that things will get obscured if a lot is going on at once.

It's why so many strategy RPGs are in this perspective (Final Fantasy Tactics, Shadowrun, etc), and those that aren't tend to have battle cut scenes instead of the fights happening on the field.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

beggar posted:

In WWE2k14 they had mixed tag matches, and if you so much as brushed against the other gendered opponent you were hit with an insta-DQ regardless of the ruleset. We tried about three matches that all ended in dumb DQ calls before we gave up and did Diva only Hell in a Cells. I imagine they "improve" on that by canning you into a tag animation whenever the other team tags out among other stupid decisions in appeasement of ???. I guess the logic is these are real performers as opposed to other games where this is and never has been an issue, but when Nintendo games and the dang Lego games are more lenient than the WWE games on the issue, its fuckin' goofy.

This information comes from a class I was in taught by the lead modeller for Mortal Kombat in 2007, so I can't totally vouch for how accurate it is, but he claimed that to achieve a T rating your game could have blood in it, or it could have inter-gender violence in it, but not both. I believe the second pressing of No Mercy had the blood taken out of it because it would have been too difficult to take out inter-gender violence. So maybe the ESRB has relaxed on that a bit and 2K is just selling it as a bullet point.

Perry Normal posted:

The Switch is more or less as powerful as the original versions of PS4 and Xbone, isn't it? I imagine it should be a lot better than during the Wii days when the system specs were a lot weaker.

I got Smackdown vs Raw 08 or something for Wii back in the day, holy gently caress that was dire. No specialty matches and so much loving waggling.

I wouldn't expect it to run at 60fps in TV mode, at the very least. If it's not the PS3/360 version updated, I would expect it to have most lighting stuff taken out of it and for the audience to look significantly worse. On the upshot it might load faster. The load times on the PS4 aren't great unless you're using the on-disc wrestlers. It's upwards of 2 minutes for an all custom wrestler tag match.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Wrestling Revolution 3D is out. I can confirm that it is... interesting. MDickie hasn't compressed any of the files so you can directly edit all the texture files as .jpegs. You can add more to the game by simply naming them properly. He was also nice enough to include a modding guide .PDF!

Did he seriously save all of his textures as jpegs?

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

harperdc posted:

I didn’t see that yesterday but yeah it confirms the Steam version will get a New Japan DLC pack. Glad it’s coming to both versions.

There's a lot of DLC coming for this game, but if the DLC over the course of this year and going forward brings the game's price up to 60 bucks I won't be bothered in the slightest. This is the first time in over a decade where I've felt totally satisfied with a wrestling game purchase. It's refreshing.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Black Friday sales have started, and I was wondering if picking up WWE 2K19 for $30 is worth it? I last bought 2K17 and thought it was alright, but not worth $60, for context.
Also: If you want a physical copy of Fire Pro for PS4 it's on sale at Gamestop.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
The Fire Pro Move Craft DLC is such a weird combination of extremely difficult to use and incredibly easy to use. There's already some wild poo poo out there, and I don't see it letting up any time soon.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Artelier posted:

This cracked me up hard!

I booted up Fire Pro and peeked into the Move Creator and I am incredibly intimidated though.

The devs themselves recommend starting by editing already existing moves, and it really does help. Even then, there IS a lot going on, and it's not totally intuitive. As an example: You can cycle through each pre-existing frame of animation, which is helpful, except they're unlabeled, not organized in a logical fashion and there's over 20,000 of them. You can rotate each piece of the body, but they don't anchor to each other. But honestly this isn't the worst animation program I've used.

I think the high barrier for entry is probably why this is free.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Also some of the worst cage match logic, for a match type that is basically always poo poo in games.

Is there a good cage match in any wrestling game? They were absolutely dreadful in No Mercy and I'd say in a few of the Smackdown/WWE '# games the best they ever got was "generally inoffensive."

It's wild because ladder matches are generally pretty fun as long as the ladder has some weight to it, despite also being about climbing something to win.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Dacap posted:

I know this game will likely be vaporware but it’d be cool if it’s actually good

https://twitter.com/kiddbanditpro/status/1483153743482818560?s=21

I feel like if I was doing mocap I'd ask for the big spandex ping pong ball suit even if they're not necessary any more.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

I would argue that all decent wrestling games have pick-up-and-play issues, just because there's so much to do in a wrestling game, but exacerbating it is maybe the greatest sin this system keeps committing. Which is wild because until they left the PS2 I feel like the Yukes games were sometimes insultingly simple.

NikkolasKing posted:

Was I smart to have stopped playing wrestling games with SVR 2006?

WWE 2K13 and WWE 2K19 were the last versions before a big overhaul, and were pretty good as a result. I'm under the impression that if you're just in for gameplay, you should only be buying a sports game from a series once every three-five years.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Fly Ricky posted:

I just realized that by using the same trick and putting them in “Legends” they won’t populate career mode and stuff.

There are quite few MDickie originals even using guides. Haven’t counted but I’m sure there are >30.

Be aware that if you play career mode long enough, people in the legends section get recycled into new wrestlers periodically. It's why the "back-up roster" option is there.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I was trying to find Wrestling Empire mods and apparently all you can is texture stuff. That kinda sucks because all I want is a way to refill my health to max between matches. I hate sleeping and I hate waiting for some random event to let me "sleep" and regain health. Starting matches with like 25% hp is trash and not fun. It takes forever to get up and mashing sucks

It feels like MDickie thinks he's making the true successor to No Mercy, but I think his engine would benefit way more taking from the PS1 Smackdown games. Getting caught in a submission for 30+ seconds at the start of the match, which does barely any damage to your character makes no sense and seemingly happens at random. Struggling to get up from being punched once at full health. It's got a solid control scheme, and I don't mind the way it looks, but I really wish the game was faster and snappier.
I would settle for knowing what MDickie is trying to go for, since I'm not even sure my criticisms track with what he's trying to do.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
I'm just happy the wrestlers don't look like they've been inflated like Daffy Duck in a cartoon from the 30s any more.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

I swear we better get the limb loss that he keeps on teasing on twitter.

Going back through his twitter, it seems like he's making it for a horror game on the same engine, and claims he's only going to put it in the game if it "makes sense," which sounds like code for "this might gently caress me with the ESRB"

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
You can't count all the match types because they're probably going to be adding poo poo for a while. I recall them (or maybe just some random person on this forum?) saying they could only launch with a 50 character roster, and will add things over the course of a couple years. It's not unreasonable to assume that's going to be the same thing for match types.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Hoping for eventual Dark DLC that adds sixty hours of nonsense commentary from Excalibur and Taz.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm glad the game's going so well that Yuke's let their legendary programming dept work on minigames, as a treat, after everything else was locked down and functional

I worked on an educational game for almost four years and whenever the art team or programming team got ahead of the other, or management was dragging their feet approving something, it resulted in a mini-game. We wound up with something like 40. These probably aren't taking away from anything else.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I am guessing Yukes couldn't make THE BIG RIG work so they are holding them off until they get tag team finisher's in order

The 3D was incredibly hard to pull off in No Mercy so that's not a surprise.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

I believe the big sticking point might just be how much blood stays on the canvas. The game isn't going to have anyone on the Muta scale but it staining the canvas could be pushing it over the edge.

The rule may have changed since 2006 or whatever, but I remember the guys who made the WWE games saying that they couldn't have blood AND intergender matches and receive a T rating, and they had just made a new blood system, so they took out intergender matches as a result.

The problem is that it's effectively the FIRST THING they advertised for Fight Forever, and is going to have a smaller initial roster, meaning that you'll really feel the lack of intergender matches if they take them out.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
I want to get hype about Fight Forever but until I see more CAW details it's hard to get TOO excited.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I love how I look at the "professional" impressions of the game and they are knocking based on poo poo like low polygon count or whatever.

Then I come here and everyone is like "look at this goofy poo poo, I love it!"

I know we haven't played the game yet, but it just looks fun from everything I've seen so far.

I signed up for this very forum because this thread provides the best and most even-keeled discussion on wrestling games and whether or not I, personally, would enjoy playing them. Spending that 10 dollars probably wound up saving me $600 by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

wouldn't surprise me given how godawful the devs are at communication of any kind. the discord for the game continuously has the devs parroting "we can't do or say anything without aewgames final say" plus they're also busy releasing the new Trine game.

Writing my "The Acclaimed scanned for TRINE?" clickbait article as we speak.