Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Liar Lyre posted:

Pretty sure they just assigned the current gen development to rookies and interns. If the next gen version is garbage, then we can start panicking.

It's making me a bit unsure about my PS4 pre-order. On the fence about cancelling it until I see reviews. The one thing that's keeping me from doing it, is that we all knew ahead of time the PS3/XBOX 360 versions were going to be about this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's worth noting that if you're picking up 2k15 for PS4, there's a Digital Deluxe edition which includes Hulk Hogan and the Showcase Season Pass for $80, which is cheaper than the game + Season Pass.

I went ahead and cancelled my Amazon pre-order for this version, thanks for the heads up. The limited CAW space is kind of a downer, but I only used like 15 in 2K13 so it's not a deal breaker to me, especially since we probably can't import music. My Career sounds like it'll give me a lot of game time alone. Looking forward to that.

I don't have my PS3 anymore, so I can't play any of the older games or Fire Pro for that matter. Needs me a punchsports game. Ideally I'd wait for a PC release, but eh, I'd probably pick it up on a steam sale if it went cheap enough and there were mods for it.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
WWE 2K15 unlocked for PS4, let's do THHHHIIIISSSSSSSSS?!

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
Commentary is still abysmal in this game, not surprised though. I've just come to expect it in this series. Cole has different inflections, that one moment it sounds like he's on the edge of his seat, then immediately afterwards there's one where he's practically hushed. Lawler's is a lot more uniform.

Movement wise, this game is so much better than previous versions. People have weight to them and you're not just zooming around using run all the time anymore. The stamina system is working out quite well too. There's three stages of your stamina bar, light blue, dark blue, and purple. If you completely drain a stage, you can't get it back. The first few matches I played, I went balls out trying to land every move I could, while it did hurt the stamina of my opponent, I also dropped to the last bar of stamina which made closing out the match a bit more difficult. I actually found myself losing some matches because I couldn't keep up on offense as much once that happened. It took a lot longer to get back up and gave my opponent time to recover. A few good reversals and the CPU put me away.

Also, triggering the comeback ability (aka rapidoooooooo mode), gives you unlimited stamina for a period of time. Thank god they balanced it too. You can't do finishers or signatures during that time. Otherwise you could store finishers, trigger comeback, and hit them all without losing any stamina.

The visuals are... Meh. I can tell they were going for accurate ring lighting, but something just feels so... washed out about it. I bet if they took a year off to really polish the next game, it'd look a hell of a lot better. Models are also hit and miss, textures are a lot sharper and more defined though, so that's a plus.

Tonfa posted:

So does this just make the gameplay even more imbalanced in favor of (super)heavyweights than before, or are there actual tradeoffs?

Heavy guys lose stamina a heck of a lot quicker. So even though they hit hard, they won't be able to rapid fire their moves as much as a lighter guy. It also seems like the window to reverse is tighter when facing a guy who's faster. Playing the John Cena vs Rey Mysterio match I couldn't reverse Rey's ground attacks at all. That could be a combination of me being bad and playing on legend difficulty though.

Lazer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 18, 2014

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
Successful storylines help. I was trying out Global Force Wrestling with no starting roster and had a 4 person NWA Title feud with Chris Sabin (face), Devon (face), Elijah Burke (heel), and Christopher Daniels (heel). I booked them in segments and matches that actually made the majority of them look good in the storyline. I decided to run with Chris Sabin for the title, and he came out of that storyline with A+ momentum. I somehow turned him into John Cena, I don't even... The storyline ended with a C+ heat, was up to a B at its peak.

I found that you don't want a guy losing to people lower on momentum, it can really kill theirs and it becomes hard to recover. Good quality matches help build momentum (in relative terms of the company, if you're D- then having matches in the C/C+ range are really good), same with segments.

Think of it like this. You have Arn Anderson who's won 5 matches in a row, and you want Ricky Steamboat who's lost his last 3 matches to go over Arn for whatever reason. Ricky's C or D momentum will increase a little bit because he just knocked off a strong opponent, but Arn's momentum will take a big hit because he just lost to a guy who really wasn't on a streak. Even if you gave Arn his win back the next show, he'd still be worse off than he started. Essentially the momentum system will leech more momentum than it dishes out, unless you have a really solid storyline or match.

If you find yourself running out of momentum for all your wrestlers, consider turning people. I think gimmick changes may also affect momentum as well.

Of course take this all with a grain of salt, I barely play the game, but that's what I've noticed in my couple of plays. I completely screwed Sabin's A+ momentum trying to bring up Elijah Burke. Sabin dropped down to a B+ during that and Elijah Burke is at a C+ now. I should have used Devon to build Burke to Sabin's level and then start the feud.

e: If you don't have enough time for the majority of the roster and keep storylines running, it might be best to cut some people free or look into more time for your events if you can swing it. I had everyone at positive morale on my GFW roster running 2 shows a week (One TV and one event). As for titles, putting people with low momentum in the title picture can backfire on you.

Lazer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 25, 2014

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

mearn posted:

The WWE 2k mobile game got released today, anyone spent eight bucks to find out how good that is yet?

There was a hands on posted at Game Informer. Sounds pretty light in terms of content with a repetitive career mode.

quote:

In the end, WWE 2K is a bare-bones, yet mechanically functional mobile title. If you want to be able to fire up your phone while waiting in line at the bank and beat up John Cena as Rusev you can do that without problems. If you're expecting depth anywhere close to WWE 2K15, then just keep walking. Though the fact that there isn't a year attached to this game makes me think that we'll see more improvements and add-ons over time. If that happens, WWE 2K might become more universally recommendable. As of now, most should take a wait and see approach.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/wwe_2k/b/ios/archive/2015/04/16/is-wwe-2k-mobile-worth-a-try.aspx

Lazer fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 17, 2015

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
So I was dumb and got the game, but this happened and was pretty cool

https://youtu.be/W6KoMHlgmbo

Finally getting used to that submission mini game, man it's a pain in the rear end at first.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

gypsyshred posted:

Wasn't the SCSA Showcase going to have the WCW/ECW stuff? Like the Whiplash title match? Mine starts at the KotR final with Roberts.

So far the main showcase follows KotR and on, but bonus matches are littered in throughout the timeline that you can select manually. The first one being Bash at the Beach '94 Austin vs. Steamboat.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

I don't know why... What continues to bother me to this day are the crowd animations. The defaults of the jumping, the first pumps, clapping, just seem so out of place half the time.

It's a minor complaint compared to other things, but that Finn Balor entrance makes it so hard to not notice it. On the plus side everybody goes Woooooooo and throws up their arms. So I guess it cancels out?

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
I'm on the fence about buying WWE 2K17, but $60/$90 bucks is a hard sell. Any major improvements to the Career mode?

I read about the promo thing, but I'm worried all that will become repetitive fairly quickly.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
Thanks for the input. Yeah going to hold off on this game this time around, or maybe pick it up when it's cheaper (or on PC). I'll just continue playing TEW2016 to scratch that wrestling game itch.

Lazer fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 11, 2016

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Basic Chunnel posted:

Speaking of entrance music, I'm assuming all the generic wrestler themes are noticeably quieter than the real ones (like, you can't hear them over the crowd) because their budget ran out before they could actually test them. They're also basically mid-priced keyboard presets.

Man. Instead of licensing menu music (that you can't use), they should totally pay CFO$ to make the generic CAW themes. That would be great.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Cubone posted:

Man how much do you think it would cost for a private citizen to commission a WWE theme song for themself? I feel like I would happily go into the lower 5-figure range for something on the level on Bobby Roode

Depending on the artist, for like a 5 minute long song... I'd guess you probably pay something in the high thousands to low double digits. Why buy a car when you can carry around a boombox to play your theme whenever you walk?

The pyro would probably get even more expensive in the long run though. Also, god forbid you decide to turn and need a different tempo style of song.

Lazer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 16, 2016

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

triplexpac posted:

Anyone have any TEW16 scenarios to recommend?

The Ruthless Aggression 2004 mod is alright if you want to try turning TNA into a modern day WCW (had to convert it from TEW 2013 through the in-game thing). If you're a smaller promotion, it's very possible to get steamrolled though. I kind of like having new real world workers slowly debut in the game world from now until 2014/2015 and not the auto-generated ones.

I'm slowly biding my time, buying out promotions and stealing important WWE talent where I can. I had to throw everything at Christian that Dixie would let me get away with. 21.3k per month, a large signing bonus, 10% bonus per event, 5 year contract, no non-compete contract, and nothing lower than Upper Midcarder status. He now helps anchor my main angles and matches and gives me more options to pull B and B+ shows each week.

I'm able to turn a profit and am running a regional development farm to stack my roster once I'm in position to switch to national size.

But that being said, every time I need a PPA expire so the worker leaves my roster, Dixie jumps in and renews them for like 2 years. It's really annoying.

Lazer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 27, 2016

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Yeah, I'd always just lose my mind when my owner would immediately have their first goals be 'don't hire anyone young or old or interesting at all or YOU'RE FIRED'

I think it adds a different challenge to game. I kinda go about it making my user the lowest reputation booker and working up my rep.

It's actually kept me from just grabbing any worker I can. It's mostly the older guys who have the popularity, so I have to pick and choose who's worth pissing off the boss for the long run advantage.

But yeah, bad rolls can happen. I remember having a hiring cutoff at age 32/33 in a game before. That made things a bit too difficult.

Plus, it seems to put you more in an underdog position. I've had to let potential bidding wars go because the owner didn't want me spending way more than necessary. So I'd have to get creative with other perks.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
I decided to get into WWE Bejeweled edition and sent an request to gWO. Goodbye Futurama match 3. You will be missed :(

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
So I did a stupid thing and decided to buy the $9.99 Shane McMahon thing awhile back.

But with the money I've been getting, I finally have a proper tag team after getting stardust like 3 times.

https://i.imgur.com/dYlRr6T.jpg

It's an interesting combo. I'll usually throw out bubba first because he has protect gems. I'll only take 1 damage a turn once that gets going. Then bring in D-von to clean up. His finisher takes so much to charge up though.

I also got the prime time players for my free pulls during the campaign. Not sure if I want to invest in enhancing them though now that I have 2*s

Lazer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 18, 2017

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

MotU posted:

i hate that nxt rollins is so good b/c i already got striker rollins and i hate usin doubles. I got Kofi drawn at 2* gold tho so I guess he will be my focus acrobat. Shame about Orndorff tho

Did they nerf NXT Rollins a little bit? I recall him being able to change three gems at one point instead of two.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

:staredog:

MMA cages. This is going to be good.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
I've been mostly sticking to the 2004/2005 era mods for TEW2016, but I decided on a whim last night to try out the real world mod for June 2017. Started a local promotion based in the south west with a cash pool of $100,000.

I ran monthly events for 4 months and managed to grow to small (and limiting myself to that right now). Product is based more on wrestling and gimmicks don't matter. Ricochet has held the main championship title since the first event and has elevated it from B+ to A* prestige. My midcard tag titles were held by The Young Bucks and finally dropped to The Briscoe Brothers after a three month chase. The matches elevated that title from C- to C+, so good progress there. NJPW ended up getting Will Osprey a written contract, but it was right before my show so I got one more match out of him at least. I'm worried the same will happen to Ricochet at some point.

The other problem is, I was running out of money and could only afford one more monthly show. My last show won the regional battle and beat out Lucha Underground and PWG. So in an effort to have access to more talent and save the company, I started a consortium alliance with Lucha Underground and AAA (I was surprised they both accepted the invite). The shared pot gave me 175k in one month. I might start running two shows a month now to get over that hump. Also need to bring in that sweet YouTube viewership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

gif Probst posted:

fire pro release date announced on 6/21.

For a second I thought this said it's being released on 6/21

...Then I just realized it is the date of the announcement of a release date. :smith: