Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
It's sad how even the FPW Arena guys are greeting the Spike Chunsoft Fire Pro tweets with little enthusiasm. I think the X360 avatar game made them all cynical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Now here's the odd thing. In Fire Pro the wrestlers don't grapple and dip like that. Timing is for exact moment of the grapple. That dip after the grapple is for the timing from King of Colosseum.

It was actually like that in some of the Super Fire Pro Wrestling games on SNES.That and the way the ref moves are clear callbacks to the SNES games.

Edit: Probably should've appended :goonsay: to this post. Didn't realize how spergy it came off.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 2, 2017

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

The FPW Arena guys were going absolutely nuts as the press conference happened. Great vibe. If any goons were around I'm unimportantguy there as well.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Fumaofthelake posted:

I think you are allowed to drag them back in the ring then pin after hitting the move, just don't hit anything else.

Not even that. You just have to do a dive at some point in the match, then win. It's poorly worded.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Thinking about making a "ROH All Stars through the ages" set of CAWs. Is there a good guide or FAQ to help figure out the kind of wonky interface?

I don't know that anything specific for World had been released yet, but a decent chunk of the stuff in guides for Returns is still applicable.

Relevant: the showmanship, discretion, and flexibility settings are poorly explained. Showmanship determines the percent chance an edit will attempt to throw the opponent into the turnbuckle or it off the ring if in the right position. Discretion influences how often the edit stops to breathe. Flexibility will override hammer throw/Irish whip logic if the opponent has one of the MMA fight styles.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 18, 2017

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

Is there any way to get an idea of how damaged you/your opponent are as a match progresses? I noticed a visual cue in my opponent's stance changing after I worked over one of his arms the entire match but that was after just endless submission attempts.

Also, is there a way to increase the chances that an opponent submits when in a hold? Every time I try mashing I end up breaking the hold myself.

There are no direct visual cues for overall damage. There are visual cues for damage to specific body parts, which are mostly fairly obvious, and occur when the health for that specific body part is low.

For submissions, you just generally want to hit a lot of moves first. Submission occurs when the opponent's spirit meter gets low enough, and they get a boost of Spirit any time they break a hold or kick out of a pin, so applying a hold over and over again can actually draw out the match and make it harder to submit them.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Current community trend seems to be to follow the "less than 180 points" rule used in online play.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Minidust posted:

Does the alignment of a stable determine crowd reactions or anything?
Knowledge from FPR but should still apply: crowd reaction changes on offensive style. Stable alignment is mostly cosmetic, but iirc affects interference when in tag matches and when a wrestler is a second on the outside.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Wait is that Suda51 thing for loving real holy poo poo I need to play that right away

Not mentioned in the video: Flair can also beat you to death in the ring during the climactic title match, in addition to the normal pinfall/submission.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Nut Bunnies posted:

Ugh, Fire Pro won’t open on my computer. Just open to the spinning progress wheel and the end process window. Reinstalling and removing some workshop content hasn’t worked.

This happened to me once before and weirdly, restarting Steam fixed it for me. No idea if it was just my specific car or what though.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Might I recommend: https://github.com/kactusken/firesave

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

The later stages of a tournament seem to act just a little funkier- I've noticed wrestlers bringing out the big moves earlier in the final match, and there's been a tendency to have really great matches in the first part while the final has yet to get above an 80%. I'm wondering if that's deliberate and simulating the fatigue of the end of one of these things, or what.

Yeah, that sounds like damage carrying over. Damage carried over from match to match in tournaments in previous games, but not in Returns. People used to speculate whether this was intentional or a bug. With it being in in World, I'm leaning towards "bug."

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Just downloaded this patch and the move lists in edit mode are now super fucky. It lists the applicable moves for each category, and then underneath them a list of every other move from that position that you can't move down to. Weird and visually confusing.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 4, 2017

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

That was fast! The dev team remains super responsive and I'm loving it.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Fire Pro madman djkm has a set of logic template edits or there that might help as well. Never used them myself, but his work is highly regarded by many.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

They seem pretty responsive to both Twitter and the steam forums, but the most direct line to the devs is probably the regular stream/chats held with the game's director. One's coming up soon I think.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Suspect it has something to do with the way it loads sprites into the engine and some antiquated thinking regarding memory usage.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

If people will indulge me tooting my own horn a bit here, I just recently put a collection of my fictional wrestlers on the workshop. Check it out if you like women's wrestling and/or fictional wrestlers. :toot: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1113775060

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Having spent a small amount of time with this patch, that Irish whip fix is loving game-changing. Like, you poo poo.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

So the new venues are solid. One is basically your average WWE show, one is a big Mexican arena complete with dancing girls, and the Spike Dome is the Tokyo Dome.

Kinda wish they'd add something on the opposite end, though- like a sparsely populated VFW or a bingo hall.

Specifically, SCS Stadium is NXT at Full Sail. It's a super cool venue and I'm happy to see it.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

I have a question about point values for wrestlers in Fire Pro. I'm making wrestlers for my own personal women's e-fed, and initially they were all going to be 185pt. But after checking point values of other wrestlers in the workshop, I'm wondering if that's too high, maybe?

Points are all over the place with a lot of creators. My women tend towards values between 125 and 150 or so, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish with the individual edit.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

The new Fire Pro update is so drat exciting! The possibilities opened up for high-flyer edits with the new logic are, in particular, fantastic. Ospreay edits can now properly do a fairly reliable screw kick > Oscutter> Pin sequence, for instance. Great stuff.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I may have to create a separate Gruesome Fighting promotion to move off some of the characters, both downloads and in-game- like the fighters built for MMA seem to have an advantage. Maybe it's the logic pushing them to repeat reliable moves more.
Pro Wrestler edits tend to have low defenses against the MMA moves, which are also tuned to do an assload of Spirit damage to make flash submissions a thing in Gruesome fights. Also, the MMA-centric fight styles make the edits block Irish whips a lot, counter pro wrestling moves into MMA moves, and generally be enormous dicks. It's generally recommended to keep wrestlers and MMA fighters separate unless you're making then yourself and really know what you're doing.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

It's so nicely animated to!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

24 gig? The gently caress? Skyrim is only like 4GB, and LA Noire was only 12 (assuming you have the cart in both cases). That's almost literally the entirety of the onboard storage if you don't have an SD card installed.

The download if you buy digitally is 32gb from what I hear, so 2k took a game that could theoretically almost all fit on a Switch cart and then cheaped out and used the 8gb carts, offloading the cost of storage onto the customer.

To top it all off, the save file is another 1gb.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Fire Pro has never and will never sell enough to be a noticeable challenge to the WWE games on the market. World has only sold like 50k last I heard.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Is there a way to change downloaded wrestler's names in Fire Pro? I've got a bunch of people only identified in Japanese.

Copy 'em. That's it as far as I'm aware. Downloaded stuff is entirely the original edtor's stuff unless you make a local copy.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

Is this a sentence that makes sense because I have read it about a dozen times now and it's like what

There is a head part thing in the hair list that is half a bald head and can fill in most of the partial heads from the older games for when you want a different hairstyle than originally intended. Only the heads that are new for Fire Pro World have full heads under the hair, as head and hair being separate parts is a new feature for the series.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Many people, especially newer editors, tend to think of the upper edit point limit provided by the game as "This is where the strongest wrestlers should be," at which point it goes without saying that international superstar wrestlers are up there with 200-300 points. This flies directly in the face of people who use lower point totals. It really depends what your power scale is. I've heard suggestions for individual wrestlers ranging all over the map, with, for instance, Triple H edits ranging from 150 points right on upward to the point cap, depending on who made them. I get the impression that some edit makers enjoy watching/using their edits to win matches, rather than to play/see entertaining match-ups. Why you would view watching AI wrestlers as a competitive thing, I've no idea.

This is why I make all my own edits.
:goonsay:

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 25, 2017

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Career mode sounds like a lot of fun, and could be a good impetus to come up with a new dude. I'm also excited about some of the new moves coming out in the next patch, and the management mode is coming soon! Lots to be excited about as a Fire Pro player right now.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

My understanding was that the Raw Deal design and development guys would regularly ignore playtester feedback, leaving to the embarrassing clusterfuck that it became. Fun game while it lasted though.

The card titles were super fun to read out to. My girlfriend and I would go to game shops and play Raw Deal games sometimes and people would get interested when I would whip out my Chris Jericho deck and start playing cards like You Sanctimonious Son of a Bitch.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

My friends were huge into Raw Deal (like 'go to Gencon in 2001 and win every tournament' huge). They even did a bit of QA down the road for them. They have stories.
You can't post something like this and not give us story time. :justpost:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Raw Deal talk: I had a lot of fun playing Raw Deal but my god was the design all over the place. I won a tournament once simply because I brought a completely broken deck (Edge + Fans Love An Underdog + I'm the Underdog!) and nobody thought to have the counter card on-hand.

Y'see, for some reason, the designers were allergic to ban or restricted lists and instead just published specific counters for broken cards. Forget to bring that counter card to your opponent's completely broken strategy? Out of luck. In this particular case, the card combination I had allowed me to make it practically impossible for my opponents to stop me and end my turn early in the game, and I would get on absurd rolls where my opponent never got a turn. I'm pretty sure I retired that deck afterward just because it wasn't fun to play against.

I really enjoyed Raw Deal play a lot though, and wish there were still something like it around. The fan sets just don't cut it.

Edit: I have to admit playing that deck one time was pretty great. See, Edge's starting hand size was equal to twice the opponent's Superstar Value. I'm the Underdog! raised the opponent's Superstar Value by the number of Fans Love an Underdog cards you had played during the pre-game phase. Evolution had a Superstar Value of 10. My opponent stared in horror as I drew a 26-card opening hand, assuring that I had whatever card I would need to stop his first turn cold, *and* the tools to make sure he wouldn't be able to stop me from playing whatever I wanted when my turn came around. The final keystone was the Edge-specific card Never Gonna Stop Me,which reads, "When this card is in your ring area, on your opponent's turn, before his Draw Segment, you can discard 3 cards and end your opponent's turn." So once I got going, the other guy wasn't getting any turns. Like I said, broken as hell and not fun to play against, but pulling it out that one time was pretty entertaining.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 27, 2018

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I wanted to come up with some kind of coherent response to this but all that comes to mind is :vince:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

DoctorDelaware posted:

Is there a decent guide for setting the AI for created characters on Fire Pro? I'm at the point where I need to stop creating wrestlers and actually try to get the existing ones right. (I know someone asked this a while back, but never saw if they got responses and can't find the original comment now.

I don't think there's a definitive logic guide for FPW with all of the most up-to-date knowledge in it, but it's worth poking around the World of Guides subforum on the FPW Arena. In general, if you have specific questions about edit-making and AI logic, feel free to post over on the Arena; the community is knowledgeable and friendly.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Decided to start working on Logic for a dude in FPWW and I have to keep reminding myself a 75-uper80s% matching rating isn't really a bad rating, lol [edit] Especially since I'm using my straight-shooting fast-count ref instead of my "main event" ref who is slower and looser with the rules.

Honestly, I frequently see matches in the 70%-80% range that I think are way better than matches that the game will give 95%-100% to. The game is very biased towards long matches with lots of rope breaks, kickouts, and outside brawls. For myself, I can only respond with a disgusted sigh when a wrestler kicks out of a finisher 3 or 4 times, but the game's rating system loves that poo poo.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

DoctorDelaware posted:

Starting to dive into the CPU logic, and it's kind of fun. Now if only I could figure out how to make guys go for corner grapple or corner-to-center finishers.

Entertainment logic affects whipping into the corner. Theoretically a higher rating should see more whips into the corner late in the match. Obviously, the percentage chance of Irish whips happening also will have an effect.

As far as corner to center moves, they're kind of a crapshoot. Make sure the percentage is extremely high (I often set them to 100% and still don't see them very often), and make sure you have moves in the Large grapple section that will leave the opponent in the standing dazed position closer to the center. Putting percentage points in the RB headlock move and setting discretion high should help the edit drag it's opponent to the center so the corner to center moves will happen more often.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

The move thing is complicated enough that at least one modder just posts goatse at anybody who asks how it's done.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What what I understand the past games did quite well on consoles.

Depends on your definition of doing well. We're talking hundreds of thousands of copies, not millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Speaking of people using this thread to promote their FPW stuff, I just finished running a big tournament over on the FPW Arena. Check it out if you like fictional edits, big tournaments, and promos.