Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
You too can experience CM Punk's failure to ever get a 100% clean victory over John Cena! I wonder if you get to pick which guy you go through the rivalry with.

The story modes seem secondary to universe mode these days which is fine. I did like the Wrestlemania moments story mode from the past game just because it was nothing but matches, no awful "drag a guy to a hidden hotspot" thing like Attitude Era mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

From the observer:

quote:

WWE video game sales are actually up from last year even though company revenue is down and talent royalty payments are way down. The difference is the deal structure.

So no matter how much the game sells, it appears the time of big royalty checks is gone for the wrestlers.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

"Not all people can climb the turnbuckle" reeks of that awful SDvsRAW game that gave wrestlers roles like "brawler," "high flyer," etc, and then severely limited all your move sets. If I want to have Great Khali do a shooting star press, I should be able to. gently caress off with this nonsense.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Can you combine 2 pro cards? As in, if I have 4 rare Justin Gabriels and combine them into 2 Pro Rare Justin Gabriels, can I then combine the pro cards together?

At some point, you really just have to get lucky and get a good Diva card to drop in your lap. I was able to get two rare AJs, max them out and combine them into a pro, but she's still no match for the Super Rare Funkadactyls that get pulled out from time to time.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Tato fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 18, 2014

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I feel like whomever worked on this game is like the world's biggest Erick Rowan fan. He has crazy good stats and has a Legendary level card when half the guys on the roster don't, including Bray Wyatt. It's almost as funny as the WWE Slam Attax set where The Miz was basically the world's greatest wrestler.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

John Cena's neon shirts just make it doubly apparent that the crowd consists of three models repeated infinitely.

I love Super Card except my brain still doesn't want to accept that CM Punk is no longer part of the WWE world and his lack of cards makes me face the truth.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Once you reach a certain level, around Ultra Rare, the drops of good cards become so scarce that you pretty much end up with one or two great cards and others that can't hang at all because you'll never get a second drop to make them Pro.

I've had success at this level by straight up throwing every tag match I get. The computer teams are fairly predictable and will usually waste 1 or 2 of their good cards on a tag match, sometimes they'll even waste a stat boost on it. Much better to just pick your worst 2 cards, lose the tag match on purpose, and then use your good cards to win the individual matches and then win 2 out of 3.

Of course, this strategy kind of requires that you have a good diva card that can always win you those matches. I have a maxed Pro AJ that basically never loses, so this is a sound strategy at the moment until I luck into better cards someday.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I wonder how the licensing agreements work with updates and wrestlers that are no longer under contract. With the WWE 2k games it's just based on year to year active employees at the time the game is made, it sounds like Super Card is just going to keep going and receiving updates. I wonder if they will just remove Del Rio cards from the game or change them into another wrestler so people don't lose cards.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I'm pleased with this development. Even though I don't have a new generation console yet, I'd prefer that the focus on new features and fixing things go to the newer systems so that the old version of the game doesn't hold things behind. Is the PS4 supposed to add the ripping of music at some point? It would be nice if that could come back in next year's game.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Was considering getting a new system to coincide with 2k15, no chance now. 25 CAW slots is a loving joke, they obviously aren't trying very hard with this year's release. Seems similar to EA's half assed NHL game this year. Hopefully just concentrating on next gen stuff will make 2k16 acceptable.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

This is pretty much what happens almost every time an annual sports franchise moves up to the new generation of consoles. I remember Smackdown vs Raw 2007 ditching a lot of modes, having a very small roster, and being pretty horrible as far as the match mechanics worked. They slowly added things back and improved it again year by year. The new NHL game is apparently missing a ton of poo poo and EA tried to pull a "Oh, we didn't know you guys wanted all this content we cut out."

Pretty disingenuous to do it at the last minute and act all "Gee golly guys, we really meant to do this and tell you but we were just working so hard on this game that went gold weeks ago" about it though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

You could ask the same thing about the Xbox One itself.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It sounds a lot like the career mode of Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth, where you would just win and win and win and win but no matter how much you did, every time you went backstage to talk to the GM about a title shot they'd say you need to keep working. It was pretty much impossible to get a title shot unless you won the Royal Rumble or the KOTR, but the WWE 2k15 career mode doesn't even give you that option from the sounds of it.

Pretty loving accurate simulation.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Attitude was horrendous. The graphics and control were just as bad as War Zone, but the game thought it would be super fun to make you wrestle lots of handicap or tag matches with those atrocious inputs, so you would just get demolished in the corner by dudes while futility trying to remember how to do a sidewalk slam. The two WCW Aki games ate their lunch and Acclaim just stood pat and didn't improve a single loving thing besides CAW. And then continued to not change a drat thing for the ECW games. Acclaim were hard workers.

Still, I will never be able to get rid of all the generic "Player One" taunts from my brain.

*hits guy with a board 300 times because the controls are too terrible to do any moves* OH YEAH. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

That would be cool. There's already a ton of guys on YouTube who upload themes that have had the arena noise and crowd noise added to them, I always appreciate that.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Please re-program the game so that there's a 1 in 10 chance you get hit by a MITB case thrown from the crowd when you play as Roman.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I think both of the systems suck (and I'm honestly not sure how to do this well in a wrestling game at this point), but it's cool when they give you the option to pick which one you want to use. I honestly prefer the mashing to the dumb slider that plays like old NES golf videogames, but the mashing makes it harder to do pin reversals and stuff like that.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It's easy to catch on to. It still sucks and is no fun.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah, I think that would work. It's really hard to figure out what works best and can simulate both the idea of regular pins and reversal chains that occur during a match and pins that occur after a guy has had the hell beaten out of him and taken a finisher. The sliding bar makes more sense as a player when you have wrestlers who aren't too damaged and are trying to put each other into holds and reverse them. The button mashing makes more sense when a guy is tired as hell and just been hit with a devastating move and has to summon all the strength he has left just to get a shoulder up. A dynamic switching between kickout systems might be a cool idea.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

oldskool posted:

I feel like there was one of the WWE games with both mechanisms combined together, where mashing raised up the bar slowly but it maintained that height for the rest of the pinfall & holding a button raised it faster but it dropped back to where you'd left off mashing if you missed; if you could mash it fast enough to get it in the zone you would kick out, but usually you would mash it to get it close enough to have several chances to time the sliding portion.

I think 2006 did this, which was the last one on the PS2. I much preferred this because it gave you both options and you could mash/hold as necessary to get the bar where you wanted it. 2006 is still pretty drat good and has a lot of match types and features they still haven't brought back. Leveling up your CAWs totally sucked in that game though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

does the part where I have to catch Steveweisers tossed into the ring require a sliding bar, button mashing, or QTE prompts?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I've never actually played a single Divas match since they removed the ability to have intergender matches, I loved being able to powerbomb Triple H through a table using Candice or other women wrestlers, but ever since they added the intergender restriction I haven't cared.

This is actually the first year I've wanted more women wrestlers in the game thanks to all the great matches, so of course all the great women wrestlers have been excluded from the drat game. WWE games are amazing.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I thought they dramatically cut the royalties for the video games with the 2k contract. I believe all wrestlers just get a gift certificate to Waffle House now. They had to give Mick Foley a certificate for each persona to get him back on board.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Selling off a lot of my video game collection over the past few months and finally got up to the N64 stuff. Played games just to test that they worked, ended up playing WCW/nWo Revenge for 3 hours.

The sounds in these games are so satisfying. The loud SNAP when a clothesline gets reversed, the weird grunting when you have a guy in a submission and he's going for the ropes, the nice smack when you nail someone with a strong attack. I get that the new WWE games are all about replicating the home viewer experience, but I miss the goofy wrestler sound effects at times. Much better than hearing Michael Cole.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Still waiting on my Wrestling with Pixels book years later, I resolved not to support another Kickstarter until I get it. The lack of experience and cost are not reassuring for that game.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Hahahah I was just reading that baby's updates on why the book isn't done. I can't believe it's 2016 and you probably won't have that book in your hands. The fact it went to someone else to publish ...man they should kickstart a book on the drama of some of these kickstarters.

"Botched Productions" indeed. Three years is just too short a time to paste and arrange some paragraphs in InDesign.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

As far as modern WWE games go, I really like 2k14 and am not a big fan of the new mini game type grapples and stuff in the next gen games. Are the Xb360 versions of the new games like 2k16/17 using the same exact engine as 2k14 but with new rosters? If so I'll probably pick them up when cheaper.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Are the 360/PS3 versions just WWE2k14 with new characters, or have they added in stuff like the lock-up minigames? If it's just a roster update, I'm interested in that once the new one is 75% off in November.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I broke down and re-downloaded Super Card after quitting in Season 1, was instantly overwhelmed by all the new customizing and combo mechanics, uninstalled it. I feel like I dodged a bullet not going down that dark road again.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

MotU posted:

man i need stupid gold 1* Boss tokens to evolve my showboats but i dont know where the hell they drop. i got like a ton of everything else except that

I think outside of The Road missions where the token is a guaranteed drop, your best bet is any limited time tour that drops colored Showboat posters and tokens. The game usually shows you what you can expect to see as the featured loot. For example, the Thursday Uncaged tour drops showboat microphones and training points and the Road to the Chamber tour drops high flyer shoes and training points. Playing the Thursday Uncaged tour and making an effort to get as much loot as possible might net you some tokens. I've also gotten some just from free loot. But the tokens are by far the most limited factor to leveling up the wrestlers and there's no real guaranteed way to get any outside of one-time The Road missions.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah. Unless you want a super huge roster so you can just play and play and play and play, you really only need one wrestler of each type and then just focus on leveling them up. The game gives you so many health packs (and the factions can heal you), that if you just play the game casually like I do, you're always good to go.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

God I hate tag matches so much. I can stomach the normal candy crush cpu cheating stuff fine in a singles match, but when you have to beat two guys who just "happen" to always fall into four and five gem combos plus they can break up pins plus they can tag out, just ugh.

Come to think of it, I universally hate tag matches in all wrestling games when you're playing single player. No
Mercy, SDvsRaw, WWE 2k. I feel like in the entire history of wrestling games, tag matches have existed to do nothing but be aggravating and unfun in single player. All the games love sticking them in story mode to torture you.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Embrace it and un-install the app, the spell is broken. I always get initially sucked into these games like Supercard and Champions because I want to collect all the superstars, but that's really pretty much impossible without spending money on the game and even then you'd have to spend a ton. I like the collecting aspect more than the gameplay itself, so it takes me a bit to realize "Oh yeah, this isn't that fun" and uninstall. I feel like the WWE Topps virtual trading card thing is more up my alley, but I've tried it out and don't really understand that well how you're supposed to even get half the cards.

Forget it Jake, it's mobile gaming.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I'll probably pick up the Switch version when it gets put on sale, knowing drat well everything will be downgraded for the port. As long as it functions it will be the best portable wrestling game ever released by default.

*cue horrific flashbacks to WWF Game Boy games and the PSP game that had 5 minute loading times between screens*

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

Another new feature added, meant to enhance both gameplay and story, is the notion of the quick pin - the idea that one player can land a schoolboy roll-up or a crucifix-style leverage pin, ending a bout quickly, just like the matches on TV sometimes. To aid this, there are now 12 different new match interference scenarios - from run-ins to walk-ins to just entrance music blaring - that will create a targeted distraction and open up a quick pin window. After the bell, the loser, still with full energy, will then have the option of beating down whoever it was that just scored the "fluke win."

at last I can replicate the true experience of WWE television

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The Legends are kind of weird. I'm never going to complain about having more people in a game, but I wonder how many people are enthused to pick the game up so they can immediately play a Buddy Roberts vs Larry Zbyszko match.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I'm not sure what to expect from WWE2k18 on the Switch, but according to previews the Switch version of NBA2k18 has all the features as the Xbox One and PS4 versions. However, it runs at 30 FPS instead of 60, even when docked. It also requires you to have a microSD card in your Switch for storage in order to access all the modes. I would imagine the Switch would have the least amount of people uploading Community Creations out of all the versions, but you might need an SD card to use that feature. Might be a case of a company cheaping out and releasing the game on a smaller sized Switch card and then requiring you to download the rest of the game to your storage.

I'll take it for the ability to have a portable wrestling game worth a drat.

Tato fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 4, 2017

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Kinda shocked TM61 made it in. Also inexplicably pleased about Rick Martel.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I just like brogue kicking guys. Every video game should have the running brogue kick in it. Hoping they put this in Super Mario Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Doubly bizarre because the games are always on heavy Black Friday discount for 35 bucks but then go back to full price and rarely budge.