Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Has anyone messed around with 80's Mania Wrestling on iOS? I stumbled across it last night and it's an ok time waster. Sort of like a super dumbed down EWR or TNM with a bunch of off brand 80's wrestlers. My only real complaint is the whole normal mobile game "2 currencies, 1 you can get by playing, the other you have to pay money for."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

triplexpac posted:

Hmmm that sounds like it could be ok. I've always wanted a mobile version of EWR, it would be like my perfect game

Don't get TOO excited; like I said, it's super dumbed down. Tanget: I do miss TNM.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

triplexpac posted:

Haha well I can't speak for this game, but in general a dumbed down EWR would be perfect for mobile. I miss the old days, where you had multiple competing wrestling sims. Remember Promotion Wars?

There was one where you couldn't actually pick the winners of the matches. You could just assign someone to get a push, and that would help his chances of victory. Every title match was a nail biter when you had plans for a guy.

Welp, then this might be right up your alley. If you've ever played those awful Filsinger Games things, this reminds me of those a bit. There's no winner picking, but guys are arranged into tiers of Curtain Jerker, Mid Carder, and Main Eventer, then have stats like Skill, Mic Work, Pop, Push etc. In general, a higher tier guy will defeat a lower tier guy, and your champions always have a bonus when they are defending (so it's harder to beat a champ, thus a mid carder going against a main eventer champion will almost never win). Guys can level up also, by appearing in segments that match their type, etc. THEN, there are "foil card" versions of each guy which are powered up versions of their base character with stats that are better than you can level the base version.

EDIT: After looking into this further it looks like Filsinger actually did have something to do with it. Crazy.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 9, 2015

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

triplexpac posted:

I've been loving around with it for the past 30 mins or so. It's a fun little game!

I wish I could just pay $5 and have a proper game though, I'm too wary to spend any premium currency just yet.

Edit: hmmm I seem to be stuck at an event where I don't have enough wrestlers to fill out a card

Dude, I had that EXACT same thing happen. I had to use the money I'd been saving and buy 2 scrubs. At least I got DangerZone out of it though, who's been a bit of a sleeper. I'd also totally drop $5 if there was a way to just receive cards through normal play. As it is, you'll get a token at the end of each game year. At that point, you can trade that token for $100,000 and use that to buy more guys from the market. Where they really strangle you though is that the market only has 3 guys and refreshes once every 24 hours, so that creates a funnel for bringing in new guys. Each year you'll also unlock a new venue, which will provide different income from each show. I went from bringing in $30-50 per show and now average $200ish. I also cashed in a token for $100k and sprung for "Jet Set Strutter" (totally not Ric Flair) who is a Main Event Bigmouth that will usually bring in *** matches and ****+ interview segments, so that increases your income as well.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

triplexpac posted:

I actually ended up starting a New Game+. You get to keep the cards and money you've gathered so far, and this time I spent $1000 on the promoter that gives you a bonus $100 per event. Figured it would pay itself off quickly.

I actually emailed the dev about the issue of hitting an event without enough roster members though, it's not very user friendly.

The game is a pretty fun little proof-of-concept though, definitely has potential if they can keep adding cards and features.

Yeah, I feel like there's an awesome game in there somewhere, but as it is, it is a really fun time waster. What I'd like to see added:

-Face/Heel turns-I've been using the Neon Express (totally not the RnR Express/Rockers) and they dropped the tag belts. I wanted to do a Shawn vs. Marty thing after that, but having face vs face was killing the match rating. Also, there are times where I run low on guys and my roster is face slanted due to the random market.
-Booking finishes-duh.
-More varied finishes-DQ's and such. They MAY be in the game somewhere, but I haven't seen any yet.
-Bigger marketplace. If it's going to refresh daily and be limited to 3 things, I'd like to see something like: 1 face, 1 heel, 1 flavor card (manager, match type, sponsor)

EDIT: Did your restarted league have all of the wrestlers you'd already acquired or did it give you a new random lot? Also, do you remember your starting group of guys? I'm curious to see if it's always the same.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 10, 2015

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

triplexpac posted:

When I did my New Game+, it started me off with everything I had in my last fed.

My main guys are Dr. B., Star Boy, Arizona Chance, The Piranna. Other than that I have a dirtbike guy, a karate guy, an amateur wrestler with a huge head? Oh and the Rockers too.

I had to buy Arizona Chance. He's leveled up nicely though, and now I have his action figure (Star Boy, too). I had Rad Racer, Johnny Kobra, and Pat Cabbage also, along with some Twisted Sister guy.

The whole thing reminds me of playing with my MUSCLE figures back in the late 80's, which is awesome.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MotU posted:

is there any way to see "experience" on a card? I would like to know how close I am to maxing it, or what their max skills are

Not to my knowledge. I just randomly get merch when guys max out. I'm at 4 now; 2 action figures, a video game, and a tshirt.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Howling Man posted:

How many folk around here are still active in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns?

I am getin' back into my groove with it. This time I've been creating my IDEAL VISION of a wrestling promotion and it's great to just sim the matches and watch the results. I am the creator and the spectator at the same time and feels p. good. No one's push gets derailed, wins and losses matter (ON MY SPREADSHEETS), plus I get to give out alllll the wacky gimmicks I want. Oh yeah and it's fun!

I still crank mine up from time to time, but I wouldn't say I'm necessarily active. Does anyone know if there's a new place to get rosters from? I'd really like an updated NJPW one with real Nakamura.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The American Dream posted:

Have they ever made an option for any of the 2k games where the controls are really easy to use like the n64 games?

All I loving want is wrestlemania 2000 and I'm willing to pay $60 for it every year like I did when I had to mow lawns and shovel driveways.

You're not the only one in this boat. There's Pro Wrestling X, which is a PC game that is pretty much exactly this, but it's very much a work in progress. Alternately, I'd pay $60 for Fire Pro with pretty graphics. As it stands, I have FPR on my PS3 and an N64 with No Mercy and my CAWS that I made back in 2001.

Edit: Does anyone in the world still mess around with TNM or are games like EWR or TEW the go to for booking sims now?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I played so much of this from like...I dunno 1997 until around 2003 or so? It was very much my jam, so I guess I should probably move on to one of those Grey Dog games or something. Does anyone remember another text sim called WLS (Wrestling League Simulator)? It focused more on simming a match instead of a fed, but it was cool because it played like a CYOA thing. Like it'd say "Mil Mascaras locks up with Bret Hart. What do you want to do? 1.headlock 2.armbar 3.punch 4.whip into ropes 5.politic to win" then depending on who won the grapple, new moves would unfold and so on. It was a pain to run full leagues, but was kind of cool in a timewaster sort of way. I also recall not being able to import wrestlers in it, so you had to go through and manually create every wrestler in your fed.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Is TEW 2010 worth a poo poo? I apparently bought it a while back and didn't realize it. I'd like something I can run in the background at work and mess around with. Is 2010 any good, or should I get a newer one?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Iskanderson posted:

I wish TNM was still around. I would have more fun with TEW if I could see the matches play out, without necessarily knowing who is going to win if I don't want to pick a winner. Basically I want to play as an in-kayfabe gm and not a booker/business person. Like the MMA game Grey Dog puts out but for wrestling would be okay.

Man, I played SO much TNM. Is it around in any capacity these days?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

tzirean posted:

Honestly, I think the only real successor to TNM is Fire Pro.

Well, there's that 80's Mania deal on mobile. It's like TNM with a bunch of features missing.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I can't get my controller to do do gently caress all in FPW. About to refund this bullshit.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

beggar posted:

What controller setup are you using? I had some frustrating experiences recently with Steam not liking my wireless Xbox 360 receiver setup. I had to go into Big Picture mode controller settings and from that menu un-check the "Xbox configuration support" option for it to get to recognize my controller. YMMV, but check those settings out before you refund if you havent.

P.S. i declare myself official president of the Alex THE WALL Thompson firepro fanclub

Steel Series 3GC. I got it to work eventually by checking and unchecking all that business, but now I can't taunt.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

thefncrow posted:

Right analog up/left/right/down.

Nah, that just makes me run.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

It taunts for me and I'm using a 360 controller as well. Are there controller settings in game? Didn't even check

Yeah, there are, but there isn't a parameter for taunts.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I've been playing FirePro for 17 years and have never once simmed a match. :shrug:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Taintrunner posted:

Do you think they might add in something similar to the Universe mode or whatever nightmare MDickie has in his games so we can pool our downloaded wrestlers into a career-type mode?

There's supposed to be a "Management of the Ring" mode coming at some point. Not sure if it's going to be any more robust than the one in Returns, but it's something.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I really miss "1-2-3 Of Blitz" X-Package.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Call Me Charlie posted:

Can somebody tell me how to jump off the cage using a 360 controller? I can't figure it out.

It's going to be easier to do it from the top or bottom corner as opposed to the left or right. What you'll do is just climb up and point towards that corner, then you may need to hit X (or whatever you have mapped as medium attack). You SHOULD stand up on the cage, then you can hit X again to do the dive. Make drat sure that fucker is beat down before you do, because if you're doing that one mission, then he'll just get up and climb out of the cage.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Holy poo poo this tag team cage match loving sucks.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I just spent 20 minutes downloading and installing the New Japan game and that poo poo is straight garbage.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone confirm that Takayama's "NOOOOOOOOO FEEAAAAAARR" vocal from D/Returns is in World? I can't wrestle a full match unless my edit has it mapped to as many moves as possible.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

SO I just noticed that this has "signature" and "special" in the Spirit meter, so I guess it'll be like VPW2 finisher/super finisher deal, which is AWESOME.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

IGgy IGsen posted:

Each character has up to five finishers/sigs. They showed a little bit of that at Gamescom.

Right, those are the dedicated slots though; What I mean here is that the meter itself actually changes, so that probably unlocks a different set of moves, like how you got the Burning Hammer and such in VPW2.

EDIT: We may be saying the same thing here.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

thatguyclint posted:

So in this case, the mechanic is almost the same as the Finisher/Super Finisher; you build up Spirit until it's flashing, taunt and you go into Signature mode. Wrestlers have up to 5 Signatures in their move set; once you hit one while in that mode, then taunt again, then you're into Finisher mode, and have up to 5 Finishers that you can choose from.

Differences:
1. You can't get Signature and taunt straight into Finisher like you could in VPW2
2. You're not limited to one use of Finisher like you were Super Special in VPW2

AHHH got it! This is still v cool!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cavauro posted:

i hope many of the 'taunts' available are little semi-idling animations like fixing your hair or adjusting boots rather than having to raise your arms or do the cut throat like 10 times in a match because it helps you keep your momentum. both can be in there at the same time so nobody loses if you do want to do the "suck it" 15 times

Bro if I can’t have Shiro Koshinaka’s weird rear end taunt with Takayama’s NOOO FEEEEEAAARR voice mapped to it and spam it constantly, what’s the point?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Scott Steiner was a lot of fun in AKI games since he had cool suplexes, the hurricn...errr FRANKENSTEINER, and then also had a couple of good ground submissions like the STF. I'll say that dudes like Sabu and Van Dam didn't translate well to videogames at all and despite being big fans of them, I never liked them in games.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Shard posted:

The Steiner Screwdriver was a loving killer. Sometimes you would bust them open, get the neck break sound effect and knock them out to win the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-2PSIrODg

Man that move was SO brutal in the game too. It was also a pretty quick finisher, so you could usually get 2 of them off when you had your special. I remember everyone wanting the Takaiwa multiple powerbombs into Death Valley Driver combo but that move ate up your entire special! Burning lariat was the pro move!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Fun Fact: If you do that move using Great Muta against Jushin Liger in VPW2, Liger has his Kishin Liger face paint.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Shard posted:

Last game I remember doing that was RAW 2. You could put music on the xbox hard drive and then use it in custom songs. Raw 2 had a pretty extensive entrance customization suite. You could customize angles, music, and when the pyro would go off. I remember spending like 40 minutes once making the entrance synced to the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLo2PU6gKMM

Was that the one where if you had a belt, you wrestled the entire match IN the belt, but for some reason, it acted like a sort of "waist halo" and floated around you?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Suplex Liberace posted:

did anyone post this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyiOBPYt7aA

the animations look a little stiff and the models look like junk but ill take any decent wrestling game

First created · 0 backed

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

oldskool posted:

did they ever figure out what caused this? i heard after a while there was a second version released that fixed it but tbh i've never heard of anybody who owned it, everybody i know who played No Mercy had their game erase itself at some point

No idea, but I, to this day, have my copy that I bought on launch day that never had the wipe issue and still has my dumb renames we did like for some reason The Rock was renamed to "Rocky Madavita" like he Italian or something.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did they pull 2K22 off the PlayStation Plus service? My copy doesn't work anymore and lol, it's listed as $79.99 in the store, same price as the new game.

Yeah I think they did! I know I had it at some point since I add all the games every month and I looked for it a couple of days ago and saw the same thing.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

DLC Inc posted:

CM Punk in none of those cheevo pics. Lance Archer and Miro are, though

He's right there on MJF's tshirt.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Is there any word on if the PS4 version has a free PS5 upgrade or if it's dual buy or whatever?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh it's finally up for pre-order on PSN but it looks like it's PS5 only...isn't there supposed to be a PS4 release also? I mean, I have a PS5 but tend to spend most of my game time in a room where I just have a PS4. Is this going to be dual buy/platform?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

How do you select alt attires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some of the character select models are hosed, and then their in-game models are fine. It’s weird as gently caress.

Before I saw an option at character select on some wrestlers which let me choose from their regular attire and then the same options for everyone which consisted of a terrible black t-shirt over black trunks looking thing, or their normal attire made entirely out of gold.

I can’t find that option again now though so who knows!

LOL wtf. I did hear that you have to create a second slot or whatever, but like, take Matt Hardy. He's supposed to have an alt attire but I can't figure out how to just assign that.

ALSO is the DLC stuff actually *out*? I have FTR but no HOOK or the baseball minigame.