Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Giant Gram 2000 is definitely a game you have to learn but once you do it's amazing. The way you can exchange counters is unlike any other wrestling game. IMO it's the only wrestling game where you can play to win and still have an actually entertaining wrestling match. The engine is designed that way.

On a base level it just seems like an arcadey wrestling game but they captured King's Road style so well. If you're into 90's AJPW / early NOAH it's a must-play. The animations and sound effects are also the best.

edit rant: For example, the Ganso Bomb is in the game but the only way to do it is for Kawada to try a powerbomb on Misawa, Misawa to try to reverse it into a huracanrana, and for Kawada to counter that reversal into the Ganso Bomb. (Edit2: guy before me literally mentioned this example whoops)

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Anyone know how to make revisions show up on your uploaded stuff (PS4)? I've made changes to an edit I uploaded but there are no changes or notes to the item on FPWNET. The only option I see in the menu in the game is to re-upload it as a new item.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Had one of my periodic "try to actually play FPW" spells and man, the 2K games got slow but they had the right idea about fudging the animations so that if you weren't in the exact right place to connect with a strike at exactly the right time, it would still work. It would be one thing if just the rhythm-game button prompts for grappling were demanding, but who played this and decided the success conditions for a simple clothesline were acceptable? Not even the AI gets it right, just bizarre whiff after bizarre whiff

I've been playing Fire Pro games since SNES so I'm admittedly speaking from a place of deep indoctrination to the gameplay, but to me that's just part of how the game is played. Expecting the striking to work like other wrestling games is expecting Fire Pro to be a different game IMO.

You just have to learn how to get the right distance to connect with strikes, and then you'll be better at it. Don't keep running into the same wall when you're not succeeding at playing the game. It's all part of the balance of the gameplay. For example, quick low/mid kicks aren't as strict with their hitboxes so you can hit way more of them, but they're light strikes that aren't going to change the course of the match. If you want to hit a big clothesline or head kick or something, you need to be able to create that opportunity and not be sloppy with when you're throwing them and how often.

I was actually surprised to see so many people talk about not actually playing the game in recent years. People talk about it as if it's the norm but no, these are video games that people have actually played and enjoyed playing for many years.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Shard posted:

After playing 2k23 for two nights I'm done. Honestly the create a wrestler mode is super detailed but it took me like 4 hours to finish the entrance, moves and appearance. One of the worst things is for the entrance you can't preview something without clicking on it and clicking on it brings you out of the menu and you have to go to through the whole list again to find your last spot. And there are like a million moves. So it's very detailed and you can lose yourself in it. The entrance creator just needs a little QOL

The story mode is so bad. The lipsync is terrible, the delivery is terrible and the dialogue is terrible. I would just try to skip through it all to get to the next match.

As for the matches themselves they feel good. Way better than 19 and I'm pretty sure they're better than that year it was so bad they actually had to skip the next one.

So while I think I should still be enjoying it I just don't feel like putting my time into this game when I can be playing Pizza Tower or Pathfinder 2 or SWTOR or Clone Hero. So if you're looking for a wrestling game to dive into I think you'll like this.

I haven’t tried the story mode but I totally agree with the points about the creation stuff.

It’s great that there are a million moves but the naming and sorting is so bad. In the RUNNING section there are like 80 moves called like “Running boot 03” but then there’s also just “Big boot 04” which is also a running boot.

I’ve taken two days so far to make my guy because I can only play for like 90 minutes at a time. Stuff like having to watch a grapple and an Irish whip when previewing every single “they’re running at you” attack takes up so much time. Fire Pro has a million moves but the previews start immediately with the actual move so browsing is easy.

Also bummed that they pretty much copy and pasted MyFaction from last year. It feels literally exactly the same and it was far from perfect.

edit: I do appreciate them getting their poo poo together with certain things like not having to create a wrestler twice if you want to use them for career mode.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 18, 2023

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

Controls still feel weird because I've got 20 odd years of old controls stuck in my brain but it feels much more responsive than last year.

Yeah it's cool that since last year it actually feels like a new game and not a Frankenstein's monster mess of every Smackdown! game since PSX.

The dumbest poo poo in the new games is when you try to attack or do something and your guy does a "why I oughta" kinda fist cocking instead, like Tim Robinson in the choking sketch. That always causes like 5 seconds of dumb bullshit before things get back on track.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

I think virtual pro wrestling 2 is better than no mercy but no mercy is a close second. The game looks and sounds brutal. Dudes screaming when they tap out, the moves look incredible, the sound of the bell when you hit someone in the nuts or with the bell, they way people just crumble when you ko them, the super quick replays, lots of little things that that all don't seem to be in the post n64 games. The gamecube games are fun but they seem floaty to me and a little too fast.

Yeah whenever anyone praises No Mercy they’re really praising VPW2. It’s the superior use of the engine.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

super finishers were cool did another game steal that?

I think King Of Coliseum had a similar thing.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

You take that back

SexualChocolate.midi is an all timer but nothing beats Misawa standing stoic-ly in his humble locker room while his song plays for 15 seconds before he walks out onto the ring-height AKI Dome ramp.

edit: while Ogawa stands there staring at him*

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

El Generico posted:

They let you turn off the dumbass timing based kickout system in 2K23, so it's my favourite wrestling game in forever.

You can also make it so you just have to hold the button instead of mashing it. It becomes such a better game immediately.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I was thinking about old wrestling games and I remembered that like mission mode that SVR 07 (08?) had where you had to do like 50 little challenges like making 5 people bleed as sandman and the finale was beating Khali as Mickie James and anyway either 2K or Fight Forever should bring those back

Yeah this kind of stuff works on me. Adding a bunch of little challenges to the THPS 1+2 remake gave the games a whole new life.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Am I missing something or does Universe just change the matches around when you simulate them? Like it’ll book a tag match and when I go to simulate it it becomes a singles match. Or the opponent will completely change.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

The darkest timeline where Vince is booking 80’s/90’s AJPW.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Cavauro posted:

i suppose the two announcers could simply do that irl and have carried it over to the video game. sorry if that's the case. i am not aware

Believe it or not there are three commentators. It is insane how generic Byron Saxton can be.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

Has commentary improved in the like decade since I've played any variety of sports game? Seems it's never reactive enough and you always end up hearing the same poo poo after a while.

I’ve already turned it off. It isn’t so bad in the story mode or whatever where they’re doing scripted dialogue to recap the story etc but in modes where it’s just wrestling it gets old fast.

They also say stupid poo poo like “I don’t know why they did that” if you release a hold to avoid being countered, or “stop wasting time and focus on your opponent” if you’re hyping up the crowd as a babyface.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've noticed this is happening with Rivalry matches, which will list just the participants in the rivalry but the actual match might have something different- like it'll be a singles match with members of rival tag teams, or it'll be one person in a rivalry against some other opponent but their rival shows up after the match, etc.

Oh wow yeah I think that’s what’s going on, I remember seeing something about rivalry on like all the matches it auto booked. Dumb and confusing.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Antitonic posted:

Probably worth taking a punt on. Certainly not spending any real money for fake money, but I kinda like the card system idea and working with what you get.

And that’s good about the choice of system. Button mashing is a super-shortcut to needing to recover from pain.

You can also select the mashing option but turn on an option to accept holding the button instead of mashing. I think it doesn’t work online but if you’re playing against CPU it works great and you never have to mash a button or lose a timing mini game to kick out.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Drakkel posted:

Tag and Multiman matches in 2K are borderline unplayable cause the AI is too good at breaking up pins/getting to the ladder/etc

The key to tag matches is hitting the touchpad button (or equivalent button on non-PS) to take control of your partner and prevent the CPU/s from breaking stuff up. Like I’ll start a charged finisher as the legal man, then swap to my partner and run across the ring to knock the other guy off the apron.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

continuning my exploration of ps2 wrestling games i finaly played King of Coluseum 2 and its pretty great. My only issues is that im having a hard time figuring out the timing of the grapples. It feels like fire pro in that regard but striking is way better. Maybe the best roster of puro wrestlers ever and they have alternate atires that change the finishers wow!

The difference in timing between KoC and Fire Pro is that in Fire Pro you hit the button as soon as you make contact, whereas in KoC there’s a little dip/squat after you grapple and the dip is when you hit the button.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Astro7x posted:

So what time does the Elite Edition unlock on consoles with the 1 day early thing? Like will I be able to play at Midnight EST tonight?

I just learned (and came here to complain) that for some reason they’re waiting until 9AM. There’s no reason for that at all.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Asnorban posted:

I just tried the good old New Zealand early unlock trick and came here to complain about the same thing.

It’s a real head scratcher. Like we had this all figured out already. Games come out at midnight now.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

No meter/timing indicator for kickouts is good. Makes for actual false finish moments. All the best games do it this way (Giant Gram 2000).

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

explosivo posted:

The description for disabling the "easy" reversals is kind of confusing, I know about the RB/LB reversals but that setting mentions something about pushing A/Y/X and can't tell if that is the easy reversal mode or if there's some more advanced form of reversals that I don't know about that uses the face buttons.

The “easy” mode allows you to counter by hitting the same button as the attack they’re throwing, so if they grab you and you hit grab right when they touch you it’ll be a counter, press kick when they kick you and you’ll catch it, etc. Non “easy” mode makes you have to intentionally use the counter buttons.

The only reason it’s “easier” is because you can reverse by accident sometimes if you were just hitting that button by chance trying to attack.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

People say this a lot and I just don't get it. Like, I feel way better about a 2.99 kickout if i just BARELY got the timing than mashing so hard my wrist hurts and having no clue if it's actually making any difference.

I do agree that mashing isn’t ideal. I like how it works in Fire Pro where you just hold X and the game determines whether you can kick out or not. I totally prefer that over a minigame but I also still prefer mashing with no meter over a minigame.

explosivo posted:

Ah okay, thank you! I was kind of thinking this was the case but the description is really unclear whether you are enabling or disabling the face button counters by turning it off.

Yeah some of the menus are written real badly.

Also someone was asking about Steam Deck and I don’t know if they got an answer, but it runs just fine. You can have all the graphics settings on “medium”. I initially had some weird freeze issues with the game not liking me going from the Steam menu UI back to the game and vice versa, but that seems to have cleared up after a reset. It’ll be a matter of time before they get the green check.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 1, 2023

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

This is a little weird because I thought the argument against minigames used to be that they were too hard and made it too easy to lose at random but now people are saying they're too easy and losing at random is good? :confused:

Personally, “easy” and “hard” don’t factor into my opinion at all. For me it’s the suspense that comes from not knowing if you’re going to kick out or not. That’s one of the funnest things about IRL wrestling and when a pin attempt becomes a minigame I think you kinda lose that feeling.

Again, Giant Gram 2000 is the best because while it does use mashing and no indicator for pin attempts, you get one chance to use up your special to kick out. You decide between risking kicking out on your own and having a special to turn the tides when you get up, or you use the special and survive but with no juice.

So you have the suspense of not knowing if you can kick out, but there’s also a mechanic where you use timing and strategy.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Hoss Corncave posted:

I may be misremembering but didn't GG2K's special kickout give both the kickout and activate burning state? I'm sure I remember there being a risk with being able to leave it until 2.99 seconds so you got more time in burning state. It might have been if you kicked out before 2 or something that you didn't get burning, but I'm pretty sure you still got it regardless.

I do remember arcade/DC Royal Rumble having the "use special stock to kickout" but that became too tedious because you could pretty quickly gain stocks which meant up to five consecutive kickouts when it's a case of "just lose already".

Oh poo poo you’re totally right and that’s even better. Yeah 2.99 gets you full burning. I knew I had something off about how it worked.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Oh boy I hope these mods that are coming end up having an easy way to get on Steam Deck. Is that likely? The steam deck is my first gaming PC.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

This thread taught me the trick to wear a shirt in the ring, but is there a reason my guy can’t wrestle in a singlet or any of the bodysuits aside from the dumb bear? I can get totally naked except for necessary trunks and they still can’t be worn with my attire.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

You gotta pick the briefs. That part's dumb, I don't know why they start you with accessories that lock off some attires (2k23 does the same thing but it's easier to remove stuff.)

Holy poo poo that’s dumb as hell

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah tbh No Mercy’s story mode is most memorable for its onslaught of grueling handicap matches against the APA and New Age Outlaws and Right to Censor (many memories of climbing onto pool tables to cheese the ludicrously unfair backstage brawls). Also no matter who you pick, you’re clearly meant to be Stone Cold based on how you talk.

Of course it isn’t clear if the glut of multi-mans in FF are an intentional nod to that sort of design, but it is commonly the case with hardcore nostalgists that the legacy crutches and bad design decisions of their old beloved games get wrapped up in the same golden glow of memory as the things that were actually good about them. There are still ppl who insist that THAC0 and save-or-die resistances were good D&D systems worth championing, because the games that were fun weren’t outright ruined by them.

Perfectly said. Nobody's favorite thing about No Mercy was the lovely handicap matches. I couldn't believe they felt like that was a good thing to revive and pay homage to. Might as well make the game randomly delete your data just like the old days.

Some things I do wish they brought back from that era is the ability to steal your opponent's taunts by waggling the joystick, taunts that are specific to pushing the analog downwards, and being able to put someone up on your shoulders for a doomsday device whenever you want.

I'd also like to see them scrap the current tables and take another shot at making them fun to use (in a sequel, I don't expect that as a fix). I don't think I've ever actually put someone through a table in this game. You should also be able to stand on them and jump off/do a piledriver up there.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 7, 2023

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Saucer Crab posted:

Some wrestlers have and you can enable a perk on a CAW that lets you taunt steal.

I’m pretty sure that’s just the case for stealing finishers and there just isn’t taunt stealing.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Wow that story does make zero sense I can’t believe it exists. I got the same J.R. line about how we’ll never know what just happened or why, and I figured I had like failed the story by losing or something, but that’s just how it goes?

I took Eddie to dinner and Thunder Rosa got pissed. Literally the only time I’ve seen Thunder Rosa in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Looks like Stadium Stampede plays completely different than the actual wrestling part of the game? Is this right? I’m seeing a lot of bad running around and scoop slams. If so, wild that this new mode doesn’t have the one thing people like about this game which is the wrestling gameplay.

Like I knew there would be some catch to going from 4 characters to 30, but I figured it would be like only 4 people are allowed in an area of the arena at a time and the winner moves on or something. Not just like, it plays like a dog poo poo indie game.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 24, 2023