Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

meteloides posted:

I wish I was good enough at cooking to just put things together without looking up recipes online. I don't know how to learn this skill without going to culinary school though, and I'm broke as poo poo.

I do plan to make molasses & coffee pork chops later tonight, tho. I found a recipe for it through Supercook, and I'm looking forward to it.

Culinary school Pah! Learning how to cook without a recipe is just about getting confident in knowing what you like and some basic techniques. The best book anyone wanting to learn how to cook more confidently is

Every recipe in it is really just a starting point, encouraging the reader to substitute and play with things they like. Give it a try if it interests you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
I ate at one of the best restaurants in America tonight on somebody else's dime and it was so good I don't even understand food anymore

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

I ate at one of the best restaurants in America tonight on somebody else's dime and it was so good I don't even understand food anymore

tell me more please

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

The best food makes you wonder how things in the world could ever be so good again.

i am he

I think the best meal I've eaten at a restaurant was veal head, tongue, and brain at a 1 star place in Paris. The brain was amazing.

Also I had pasta with boar sausage at a place in Florence that was memorably good.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Thank you for the culinary blue balls dct oh it hurts so good

joke_explainer

dogcrash truther posted:

I went to Pok Pok in Portland tonight.

Wait time: 180 minutes for 5.

Dishes:

1) Six fresh whole natural chicken wings marinated in fish sauce and sugar, deep fried, tossed in carmalized phu quoc fish sauce and garlic and served with Vietnamese table salad.

2) Charcoal roasted natural game hen stuffed with lemongrass, garlic, pepper, cilantro served with spicy/sweet/sour and tamarind dipping sauces.

3) Boar colalr meat rubbed with garlic, coriander root, black pepper, glazed with soy and sugar, grille dover charcoal and served with chilled mustard greens and chili/lime/garlic sauce.

4) Crispy broken crepe with steamed fresh mussels, eggs, garlic, chives, bean sprouts, and Shark Sri Racha sauce.

5) Northeastern Thai hand-minced spicy charcoal roasted catfish salad with fresh galangal, mint, dry chilies, lime, and toasted rice powder.

So loving good. I think it might be the best meal I've ever had. The place was ridiculous down to earth and friendly too, considering the amount of buzz it has generated over the last few years. Bill wasn't even that bad.

Afro Doug

The best place that I have ever eaten is the time when as a young man i visited the Mohonk Mountain House with my family. I don't remember exactly what it is that I ate, but it made a long lasting impression.

joke_explainer

Afro Doug posted:

The best place that I have ever eaten is the time when as a young man i visited the Mohonk Mountain House with my family. I don't remember exactly what it is that I ate, but it made a long lasting impression.

That place is amazing. Even if they had only the most mediocre food imaginable, the view and the experience there would make it worth it. We should all go hiking. And camping. And cook out camping. BYOB should explore the wilderness in our countries. BYOB should steward wild spaces and explore and experience them. We can venture away from our computers, to beautiful, serene places of incredible chill and return to talk about them and share our experiences.

Do you remember what anybody got tho?

Rock the boat
i got a decent filet mignon eyeballing me, begging to get eaten. i was thinking maybe asparagus wrapped in bacon but what else? help a brother out..

the unabonger
I'm really hungry now.

Rock the boat

The Fresh Prince posted:

I'm really hungry now.

if it makes you feel any better im really full. oh and i went With mashed potatoes since my cookingskills is level one

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Saturday night beef stew

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Stew update :shlick:

i am he

I love stew.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

i am he posted:

I love stew.

And how!

Savage For The Winjun

maybe sautee the broccoli like a human being so its edible

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Money shot! :fap:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Good stuff. I love beef stew but I can't make it anymore because my wife got some sort of bug that made her throw up everywhere the same night I made a nice beef stew. So now the thought of beef stew makes her faintly queasy.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Bo-Pepper posted:

Good stuff. I love beef stew but I can't make it anymore because my wife got some sort of bug that made her throw up everywhere the same night I made a nice beef stew. So now the thought of beef stew makes her faintly queasy.

Beef PTSD

dogcrash truther

i am he posted:

tell me more please

I am not eloquent enough to do justice to the meal but I got ASMR from like every dish to the point that about four courses in I started wondering if maybe I was having some sort of weird seizure or stroke instead. IT was like, okay, if you've ever listened to Thelonius Monk, sometimes he plays these chords that should be dissonant but aren't, like he's thinking about the music four dimensionally or something and he can hear a harmony that's beyond the notes, and that's what it was like, but with food, and also the way that the tastes unfolded was unreal, like each bite was being somehow organized as a sequence of tastes across my tongue and up my spine and directly into the pleasure center of my brain. ANd I lost track of time completely. i probably sound like a total douche right now

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

I am not eloquent enough to do justice to the meal but I got ASMR from like every dish to the point that about four courses in I started wondering if maybe I was having some sort of weird seizure or stroke instead. IT was like, okay, if you've ever listened to Thelonius Monk, sometimes he plays these chords that should be dissonant but aren't, like he's thinking about the music four dimensionally or something and he can hear a harmony that's beyond the notes, and that's what it was like, but with food, and also the way that the tastes unfolded was unreal, like each bite was being somehow organized as a sequence of tastes across my tongue and up my spine and directly into the pleasure center of my brain. ANd I lost track of time completely. i probably sound like a total douche right now

I love Thelonious Monk, and I think i understand what you mean. Sounds like a really good dinner lol.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

I went to Pok Pok in Portland tonight.

I got take out from Pok Pok NY tonight. I didn't take any pics but it was take out so presentation wasn't the thing. But the flavors were fully in residence. I got the braised pork would have looked like this:

The whole rotisserie chicken would have looked like this

Finally we got the pork salad which would look like this:

It tasted better than those pics makes it look and I'm well aware those pics make it look like it tastes better than anything ever.

Also don't underestimate how much the perfectly prepared sticky rice adds to it. I've never had better sticky rice in my life. My toddler couldn't get enough. I would hand him huge chunks and he would just stuff them in his mouth, yelling "More!" seconds later. Oh man.

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

I got take out from Pok Pok NY tonight.

Yeah, I'd never been to the one here before! It was confusingly good. I would love to go to the NYC one sometime just to see how it compares, I'm sure it's perfect if they managed to keep 3 restaurants running continually in NYC for this long. That sticky rice is so good too, we got like 4 orders of it for the table and ran out really quickly. Really important for some of the dishes. Glad you got to eat there too. It seems sometimes like restaurant people in Portland are just like beta testing concepts for rollout to NYC, but that's one I'm glad to hear is getting to more cities than just one.

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
i made pizza on the grill for my little brother and sisters and family because i am an incredibly great son and brother

half black forest ham half roma tomato, ricotta and fresh basil. also a pepperoni pizza but they ate it rly quick. turns out that making pizza on the grill owns because that motherfucker can hit like a million degrees and the pizza cooks up crispy and beautiful

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
i tihnk i made a total of six pizzas tonight and every time i'd put one down my family would descend on it like loving vultures

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
heres an illustrative video of my younger brothers/sisters eating a pizza https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVogZQtjI4&t=19s

a star war betamax

by Lowtax

a star war betamax

by Lowtax

poverty goat

My dad and his twin brother are in town for some golf or something. I had them over for dinner tonight and overcomplicated a classic southern dinner of fried potatoes, pork chops and corn on the cob.

I soaked the babby potatoes in water while the pork chops brined for an hour in a solution of salt, sugar, and molasses w/ fresh bay leaf and cracked peppercorns. After brining, I patted dry the pork chops w/ a paper towel, dusted lightly w/ hot hungarian paprika and seasoned with fresh ground black pepper, bagged them up and dropped them into my classy sous-vide bucket for ~3 hours at 65.5C (that's medium rare, and more than enough time to pasteurize the meat):

When the pork chops were almost done I blanched the potatoes in boiling water until almost done, then set them aside to cool and steam off excess moisture for a bit. As the pork chops came out of the bucket I added some rosemary, thyme, fresh garlic and parsley in butter over medium heat until fragrant, then got the potatoes going:

While the potatoes browned I unbagged the pork chops, heated my trusty cast iron to approximately the heat of the sun over a bigass gas burner and got to work searing the pork chops, just ~30 sec on each side and a quick sear of the fat along the edge:

I didn't take any pics of boiling the corn because it's loving corn. The pork chops were perfect and pork chops safely cooked to medium rare will totally ruin well-done pork for you forever, pushing it into the no-man's-land of overcooked steak and burned toast. The potatoes were crispy and delicious and I have leftovers to fry with eggs for breakfast.

dogcrash truther

yum!

Pedantra

by Lowtax

i am he posted:

I love Thelonious Monk, and I think i understand what you mean. Sounds like a really good dinner lol.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I got my hands on some great tomatillos because they're in season. Gonna make a nice salsa verde tomorrow. Everyone should!

The X-man cometh
Just cooked up the roux for my Chicken Creole (technically Chicken a sauce piquant, but that just confuses people). I'm going to try and take pictures as I throw everything in the slow cooker tomorrow. Using home-grown tomatoes and peppers for the first time.

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

I got my hands on some great tomatillos because they're in season. Gonna make a nice salsa verde tomorrow. Everyone should!

I just bought some today, though I don't know what to do with them! What's your recipe?

Rock the boat

Bo-Pepper posted:

remember to post with pictures resulting in mad craving

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

I just bought some today, though I don't know what to do with them! What's your recipe?

I don't really have a recipe. I'm just going to do what I usually do when making something for the first time. I type it into google and pick the recipe that sounds good and fits my time schedule. They all seem pretty similar. Here's the generic one I'm going with.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/basic-salsa-verde-mexican-tomatillo-recipe.html

joke_explainer

gggiiimmmppp posted:

My dad and his twin brother are in town for some golf or something. I had them over for dinner tonight and overcomplicated a classic southern dinner of fried potatoes, pork chops and corn on the cob.

Nice, I was hoping you would post in here with your sous vide stuff.

Savage For The Winjun

hi please tip your fine dining servers in cash and always leave the full 20% dont be a dick, thanks,

your food looks lovely bopeps i would love to sell it to people 4 u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he

Twilight Matrix posted:

hi please tip your fine dining servers in cash and always leave the full 20% dont be a dick, thanks,

your food looks lovely bopeps i would love to sell it to people 4 u

nice americocentrism