Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
I'm really hungry now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
made carnitas the other day, wish I had taken photos. theyre v good.

the unabonger

i am he posted:

has anyone here taken a one off cooking class?

took a couple vietnamese cooking classes in hanoi. super fun.

the unabonger
im bumping this thread so i can post what im cooking in a bit

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

this must be a really complicated recipe

I completely forgot about it, it was just a pretty easy baked mac and cheese and roasted cauliflower and andouille sausage. the Mac and cheese recipe is pretty lovely tho, I'll post more when I'm out of class

the unabonger

landy. posted:

does anybody know how to keep rice noodles from sticking together? every time I make a stir fry the noodles become a giant clump and the ingredients won't mix in.

you could be cooking them for a little too long. also, maybe try giving them a rinse in cold water/massage after you cook them? it can get rid of any excess starh which can be pretty sticky

the unabonger

Bo-Pepper posted:

also i don't know how similar asian noodle cooking is to pasta cooking but using pasta that still has a good bit of starchy cooking water on them is often a key part to binding the other liquid ingredients into a silky sauce like if you were to drain pasta and then rinse it with water afterwards somewhere an italian grandmother gets cancer

its not similar at all really. a good asian noodle dish doesn't have the same sort of sauce as pasta does...

the unabonger
i mean landy is making stir fry. at least when i make stir fry i dont really need to bind liquid ingredients in stir fry because there aren't many liquid ingredients, its just oil and sauce to taste...

the unabonger

Bo-Pepper posted:

i wonder about this since adding a corn starch slurry is common for asian sauces couldn't the starch in the cooking water substitute for some of that

not really. you want to cook the non noodle ingredients and get them perfect by themselves, and using a slurry that you know the exact proportions is much more reliable than using the noodle water.

the unabonger

Bo-Pepper posted:

my local farmer's market starts back up this month and i'm super excited

this is spoiled as gently caress, but honestly, i cannot imagine living in a place that doesnt have at least one year round farmers market.

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

the farmers market is only awesome may to november though anyway

maybe where u are...

the unabonger
kimchi is most excellent

the unabonger

Miss Psychosis posted:

Did she bring it to you on a tray or did you eat at the kitchen table like a good boy?

lol

the unabonger

The Goatfather posted:

im really happy with my bread

im also rly happy with my DIY brick oven

those are unglazed quarry tiles and you can get 44 of them at home depot for less than the cost of a pizza stone: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-...url__W425238599

that is a good looking bread. how did it taste?

the unabonger

Afro Doug posted:

how do you guys make coffee?

the unabonger
I bought myself a nice little konro grill nd some binchotan to burn in it. looking forward to making yakitori, robata, whatever else fits on the grill really...

the unabonger
When you all fry eggs, what do you use to fry it? I've lmost always used bacon fat but I don't have any right now and was faced with the option of using oil or butter. I was thinkin about browning the butter a little then frying the egg in that.

the unabonger
if you didnt have the bacon fat what would you have used?

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

Salad dressing! Most of us probably make it. What are your favorite salad dressings?

Here's one I used last week:

Some lemon juice
A diced shallot, left in the lemon juice for like 15-20 minutes
Pepper
Parmesan

Food processor or immersion blend it, pouring in extra virgin olive oil to make a nice emulsion.

That's about the simplest dressing you can make and it's very tasty. Any other dressings you guys make?

thats pretty much the exact dressing my mom and i make when we make "caesar salads" over summer (really its just romain and chicken and parmesan). we also do a balsamic vinigarette thats:
2:1 olive oil/balsamic vinegar ratio,
honey
dijon mustard
diced shallot
minced garlic
salt/pepper
then shaken to combine

and yeah generally when I actually have bacon with my fried eggs (not that often, I usually only make fried eggs for open face bagel sammies) I'l brown some butter and fry them in that.

the unabonger
ive been having a love affair with my konro:

(its an awful picture I know)

I really dont know whether its the grill itself or the binchotan charcoal but it cooks meat so tender its unbelieveable. that piece I was cooking fell apart as i tried to take it off the grill, and its definitely not the first piece that has done that.

the unabonger
probably but I use my back patio to cook it, I brought it in to take photos because the light is better here even though the photo still looks awful.

the unabonger
its a pain in the rear end because i cant keep the meat out there because charlie tries to eat it. i thought he would stay away from the meat on the konro because grill=hot but then the first time i used it he waltzed in with singed whiskers and a piece of chicken so i have to close the door whenever im not out there, which is the majority of the time so sometimes i burn the meat >:(

the unabonger
low temp, longer period cooking machine. you put stuff in a sealed plastic bag (or a vacuum sealer if you have it), then put it into a water basin thats warm/hot but not too hot, and cook it for an extended period of time. some machines circulate the water as it cook, some dont.

the unabonger
theres two basic kinds: one that has its own basin and one where you make your own basin:

one with its own bath:

circulator/temp control, for this one you supply your own basin:

the unabonger
Well it retains flavor and nutrients insanely well so I'm sure that it cooks vegetables nicely.

the unabonger
yeah thats the one my mom has too. its pretty nice, im a huge fan. I got her the modernist cuisine cookbook for christmas and drat if those recipes aren't amazing...

the unabonger
So I came as close to fine dining as I'm probably ever going to get tonight. Last night I made my own mozzarella, it seemed like a pretty daunting process at first but when I actually gave it a go, it really wasnt bad. it has alot of steps so im not gonna post em now, but if you really want to know how I did it feel free to ask. I definitely didnt use enough cheese salt but thats an easy fix.

then tonight I used one of the mozzarella balls on a burger. I made a black garlic burger where I pureed a head of black garlic, mixed it with a half a cup of mayo and then added enough sriracha so that it had a back end kick but not really any of the sriracha flavor. Black garlic has a delectable flavor on its own, i highly recommend it. the burgers themselves had a little bit of salt and pepper for the seasoning, and I cooked htem in a pan. Cooked one side of the burger, flipped it, put the mozzarella on top the cooked side, then covered the pan while the other side cooked. put the black garlic combo on the top bun, put spinach on the bottom bun, then the burger in in between and chowed down. it was very very delicious.

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

Another trick you can do come from Kenji, but it veers into the 'lots of work' territory when pancakes should be kept pretty simple I think. You can whip egg whites to basically meringue and incorporate them for ultra-fluffy, ultra-light pancakes. Still, his page on them (and the section in his awesome cookbook) is worth looking at for debugging your pancake woes.

this is a super pro move right here

the unabonger

Luvcow posted:

what if you often use your knife like a credit card (i.e. to get cash and procure needed items) will the magnet strip hurt the knife like it would an actual credit card?

lol

the unabonger
lol

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

I went camping for 3 days recently in a foreign country!

Nothing too fancy with the meals, but I do really enjoy cooking out in the middle of nowhere. We had a few cans of tuna and gluten free bread (friend is celiac), so made tuna melts with dijonaisse, nando's peri-peri sauce, and cheese.

Other meals were less complicated, like chili from a can heated up and with hot sauce and goat sausage added.

Lots of good food memories, but one I really liked were these all you can eat bowls of lamb stew:

at this place:

It was pretty good.

this looks rad as hell

the unabonger

HighwireAct posted:

made this v good meal tonight:

here's the recipe, if anyone's interested:

thats some nice plating

the unabonger
get big ones, rinse them, dry them, cut them open and get out their gills and guts, rinse their insides, then make a brine out of salt and water, then rinse them in that. pat it dry and then take some salt in your fingers, press it into the fins tail and gills, then rub it in lightly, then lightly salt the whole thing. get the grill hot, oil the grate, then grill them for about 3 or 4 minutes, then flip them using chopsticks or a spatula, grill them for the same amount of time, then serve with soy sauce and lemons.

the unabonger

King of Bees posted:

Thank k you for responding but I have questions. Please clarify the salt in your fingers sentence. And the soy/lemon would a ponzu lime sauce work? Thanks!

take a little pinch of salt inbetween your fingers, then sprinkle it on the tail. rub it in a little bit so its not just resting from the sprinkling but actually sticks on a little bit. don't do the rubbing too hard or the salt will start grind the tail, fins, and gills up. do the same on the fins and gill slits after doing it both sides of the tail, it should give them a little bit of a salty crust. I think that a lime/ponzu sauce would be nice, but just to clarify, I didnt mean a lemon/soysauce, I meant a slice of lemon to squeeze onto the sardines and soy sauce to dip them in.

the unabonger

The Goatfather posted:

Tomato basil bread! Almost all of the water in the dough was just fresh ripe tomatoes. It's good but not great, came out just a bit too sour imo

like too sour because of the tomatoes?

the unabonger
btw never stop making and then posting bread

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

but what if you end up making ice cream... :ohdear:

actually I had some elephant garlic ice cream at an elephant garlic festival that was pretty dang good.

Garlic ice cream is pretty good imo. I always get some at the gilroy garlic fest here.

the unabonger

Piso Mojado posted:

help me settle an argument pls :

best oil for frying eggs

edit: excluding butter obv

if im not having bacon with them, bacon grease

the unabonger
i keep my old bacon grease in an old, washed out coffee can in my fridge, just for those moments where I could be using bacon grease instead of butter or olive oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

not at all, I think we're just a bunch of uncool western cooks who don't know what a tetsubin is, tell us about it, what is it, what does it do, how do you use it, and what is your favorite thing about it?

its a nice cast iron teapot i believe.