Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I wish I was good enough at cooking to just put things together without looking up recipes online. I don't know how to learn this skill without going to culinary school though, and I'm broke as poo poo.

I do plan to make molasses & coffee pork chops later tonight, tho. I found a recipe for it through Supercook, and I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Iggy Koopa posted:

i have 5 honey garlic sausages, rice and hamburger buns, vegetables like beans and carrots or whatever, an onion and some cucumber what can i do with this i dont want chicken tonight

if you haven't done anything with them yet, you could probably make a bastardized jambalaya.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

that looks good, and yeah, probably!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I may try to make posole in a few days, probably for New Year's. it will be my second time making it so it'll be fun.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

that's a delicious looking steak, and a very cute cat. I wonder if Anova has an Android version of their app. I'd have to find someplace for the setup to live when I'm not using it, though.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I've decided that when I get paid, I'm gonna hunt around and find a good farro supplier. This is clearly a wonder grain, and anything that fills you up and keeps you full is a-ok in my book.

These recipes all look so good ahhhh. The braised short ribs look amazing, and that salad looks delicious, alnilam, and I don't even like cucumber. landy, I feel like you need more food photography practice, but that's ok because I do too.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Twitter Warpath posted:

When I was in a commercial kitchen, I did the weight-on-pan thing in the fridge overnight, but at home I just do it on the counter for an hour or so and leave it tilted for the water/soy-juice to drain off and I don't think the difference is too significant. I always end up with little paper towel bits on my tofu if I use that method, but that's probably because I buy weird paper towels and am dumb.

Do you have a couple of baking sheets? I think you'd have better luck using those direcly on the tofu rather than paper towels.

morning wood posted:

hey BP have you ever done a cooking thread on low effort bachelor/bachelorette style cooking? the stuff itt looks tasty but is a whole lot of effort and food for one person. if you have recipes that involve throwing some random poo poo into a crockpot and coming home to a culinary delight that would be right up my alley.

I would post a lot in this thread. I also feel weird about posting stuff in here because most of what I do comes from recipes, because I'm not good at making up recipes yet. Tonight I made some bomb rear end chicken with apples in a brown sugar and mustard sauce and I wish I'd made double batches because it was so good.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 29, 2015

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

joke_explainer posted:

Met please post your food! No one cares if it comes from recipes. Most of the stuff where no one used a recipe it wasn't to show off but just because they're lazy. There is nothing wrong with using recipe, I use them all the time. Sounds amazing on the chicken. Did you take any photos :)

I didn't this time, but now that I know it's ok, I'll start doing so :glomp: thank you!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

om nom nom posted:

Feel free to play with your food! Most cooking in my experience is not from a recipe but also not entirely invented. Try the mustard sauce again, but maybe add a splash of beer, or a little orange juice or zest.

That is, cooking off the top of your head is great, but there's also no need to reinvent the wheel. It's also an art, not a science. Take a recipe, and when you are comfortable, add an ingredient, or take one away. It's the first step towards making it your own.

Under seasoned? Season it more! Over seasoned? Pitch it and start over, or make a double batch instead! Put something new in and its edible, but not as good as the recipe? Don't do it next time! Add an ingredient and it's better? Write it down! Success!

joke_explainer posted:

Keeping a bound notebook not far from your prep area is a great idea, and freaking essential especially for baking s you'll get some ducked up result and learn nothing unless you can check what the conditions where going into the process (ratio, temp of dough, length of rise, temp of water added are the essentials, # of folds for bread is good too)

I just downloaded a new app to my phone a few days ago for keeping track of recipes I like, and I can edit things and put annotations everywhere. My phone's a Kyocera Hydro, too, so if I get something on it I can wipe it off with a damp or disinfectant cloth and it'll be fine. So I'll definitely be taking advice from both of you on this.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

MyCookBook (Recipe Manager)

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

man, now the food thread is all shat up... :(

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

joke_explainer posted:

I'm glad somebody noticed the phrasing within the post, I was worried people entirely missed it or just thought it was too crass to comment on

Great conversationalist - check
hella smart - check
cooks really well - check
can write beautifully - check

you're a hell of a catch for someone!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I would love to do this someday, I have a tiny apartment fridge though so I gotta figure out a way to make this work.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I've always wanted to make a pumpkin pie from a pumpkin, so last month when we got stamps, I bought a pie pumpkin.

And then a ton of medical and pet stuff came up and I was busy as hell.

Miraculously, on Halloween, I checked the pumpkin and it was still good :iia: so I made a pumpkin pie.

the gourd in question

far easier to open up than a butternut squash!

Into the oven...

reasonably roasted, I think.

I cleaned the poo poo out of them in prep, and I left the browned bits hoping for a deeper flavor.

almost all-generic poverty pie.

and then I hosed up and got so busy adding spices and beating/adding eggs that I forgot to take pictures until this

pie??

pie. I was so tired after cooking it that I didn't get a picture straight out of the oven, and then we devoured it.

I need to learn how to get the filling perfectly smooth like canned pumpkin is, but leaving the browned bits did add a bit of flavor. The recipe I went by (a sticker on the pumpkin that I took off and put on the cabinet) didn't mention clove, but I figured it was a good idea to add it, and it definitely paid off. I need to work on making pie crusts next, which means getting more counter space, but this was ok for my first pie, I think.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I'm not sure, the sense of accomplishment is really nice tho, and the control I have over roasting and what I do with the puree is cool. Canned is definitely better texture-wise though. I need to figure out how to make it smoother.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

*holds finger to ear*

I'm being told 'try putting the goop in a sifter/sieve or china cap and push it through the mesh with a spatula'.

poo poo, I didn't even think of that, we just did that recently with cat food, too.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Invest in a food mill. A good one isn't all that expensive and it's amazing for some specific kitchen tasks that aren't easily replicated otherwise.

It's exactly suited to turn starches with fibrous components, like sweet potato and pumpkin, into smooth purees without overworking them or adding excessive dairy. I will never go back to making mashed potatoes with a humble potato masher. Give me the smpooth perfection of food mill mashed potatoes every time now. Also great for extracting maximum flavor from things like the vegetables left over from a strained braising liquid. Or quickly getting all the tomato out of a tomato for a sauce while separating the skins.

oooh. this definitely looks useful for a lot of things. I found a nice RSVP one on Amazon and added it to my wishlist, so I'll try to get that at some point, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

lmao not quite but maybe she would've eaten it better that way