Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I think about this a lot, because the very best store-bought hummus is way worse than lazy homemade hummus. I'm guessing it comes down to the orchestrations that food must be subjected to to allow it to live for months in a grocer's cooler.

I can sometimes eat my store bought hummus a month or so after opening it and I am not sure the white mold that always grows eventually is that harmful.
What is wrong with the world/me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers

Finger Prince posted:

I made my own vanilla extract.
I had this dried out old vanilla bean on top of the fridge so I broke it up into bits and put it in a little glass ramekin with maybe about a tablespoon of armagnac and it's been soaking in there for a few days now.
Omfg. I just used like a quarter tsp of it to make some cashew cream to put on a waffle. So much vanilla. So delicious.
Do this. You could use cognac, or even bourbon or aged rum. Get a bean, break it up, put it in a little bit of brown booze, use it for anything that needs vanilla extract.

I leave them in granulated sugar to get v-sug, so I'll have to try this as well.

I wonder if this would work with tonka...
:devil:

RickRogers

I've never tried ratatouille with goats cheese, but that sounds like a pro move and I would also house it.

I did once try to make the version from the that film and it was very time consuming, not like it was in that film and not worth it really- but still delicious.

RickRogers

I made some Sauerkraut with like, mock-teriyaki pork belly strips. No photo because it was pretty bachelor style (only I eat meat in my family)
But with some more thought and effort I feel I am onto an amazing flavour combination and subsequent meal.

RickRogers

Escape From Noise posted:

Learning a basic Indian curry base has helped me with a lot of that kind of stuff. Basically you need to fry cumin seeds and mustard seed, then diced onions, throw in crushed garlic and ginger, then add your dried red chilis and fresh or frozen green chilis, then your dry spices like chili powder, powdered cumin, and powdered turmeric, and garam masala, then diced tomato, simmer that, add protein, then add some fenugreek and stuff near the end. You can mix and match! It's a curry adventure!

Also making basmati rice with grapeseed oil and salt makes it awesome.

I am seriously in love with adding nigella/black cumin to my curries.

And that fresh cilantro/coriander at the very end

:kiss: