Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Although it is still early in Port Axis, there is already a great deal of activity. Small rowboats move to and fro the docks and the various ships. On board the HIMS Diligentia, two midshipmen can be seen racing to the tops of the foremast. The flagship, HIMS Castra is signalling a brig who is having trouble entering the harbour after missing stays.

At the docks, a boat's crew led by another midshipman can be seen waiting for their captain. She has gone to report on the state of readiness of her ship. Almost a full complement, not perfect, but good enough to please their lordships and ladyships at the Admiralty.

On board the HIMS Nemesis, everything is prepared for the captain's arrival. Everything is stowed away. The "lords and ladies of leisure and pleasure" have already been forced off the ship. The first lieutenant, Timothy Pallingbrook, is surveying the ship with his keen wood-elf eyes. The atmosphere is relaxed: The crew knows that this is the last moment of peace and quiet they have before they cast off. No one knows where they're going, but everyone hopes for a cruise (a chance for riches or glory!), or at least not blockade duty.

Now that the heavy lifting is done, some of the new crewmembers start introducing themselves to each other.

---

Players
Green Bean: Piper Tallfellow: Surgeon
ryuujin: Hydros: Bosun’s mate
Captain Walker: Thomas Wyndmere: Master
melvinbison: Project Aquarius: Master’s mate (I can't access the new version of your character sheet)
Stallion Cabana: Rangar Blood Gullet: Ship's cook
flame 112: Drake: Stowaway!

---

In your first post, please post your character sheet with a picture/token.

Usual posting conventions apply: Preface each post with your character's name at the top in bold, preferably with its picture/token as well, and link to your character sheet/first post, out-of-character text in italics.

For combat, a statblock suffices.

For rolling, use orokos or something similar.

I'll use some nautical terms, but mainly as flavour text (however, it is fun to learn, so if you want to look them up, be my guest). Feel free to ask me what they mean, or to correct me when I inevitably get them wrong.

---

Feel free to say what your characters are doing while they wait, or have conversations with other characters!
Also, you may roll icon relationship dice!
Sorry this isn't longer, but I wanted to give you the chance to get started while I sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow
Sheet

A conscientious sort, Piper had been preparing for cast off from the moment he'd sailed into harbour. He'd put in his requisition for new bandages, herbs, and poultices immediately, and knowing what the Quartermasters around here were like, had also invested in a small cask of good wine and a large keg of mediocre beer. While he'd managed to grease the wheels of the bureaucracy, even alcohol could only go so far; the final order of iron splints didn't wind up in his hands until that very morning, and he'd spent the rest of it getting his supplies in order.

At this very moment, he was giving final orders to his two loblolly 'boys', a half-orc named Grunda and a half-elf named Mick. Grunda, despite being barely into her teens, was well over six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders. It was her job to restrain patients during surgery, and break any bones Piper needed to reset. The other was shared between Piper and the cook, and was responsible for keeping the patients fed with the finest gruel the Navy had to offer. All that was left was to give the surgery a good scrubbing, and as a wardroom officer Piper was not expected to assist in such a menial task. Once they got out to sea, Piper frequently got his hands dirty, but here on the shore there was far more pressure to keep up appearances.

With his two assistants below deck, Piper found himself with nothing to do, quite a rare occurrence. He took a moment to look out over the docks and admire the sea of ships docked at the port before he turned his attention to his fellow crew members.

Icon Rolls, Emperor -> Archmage -> Priestess: 3#1d6 1 3 2

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Ragnar Bloodgullet

Ragnar is making the best of a bad situation. At least that's what he says to himself. Another new assignment. It's not his fault that his previous ship wouldn't eat his cooking. His pickled Eel Skins were a delicacy, honestly. They were just missing out.

But that wasn't very bright-sided. So the Half-Orc was instead enjoying the moments right before the ship left to enjoy a little time in the sun. He had prepared a few appetizers for his new crew, and laid them out on a small table. His Pickled Eel Skins were there, of course, as was his Goat Stomach in Sheep Liver Sauce Stew.

He was really hoping this ship was more accommodating then his last one, and he was making idle conversation with other members of the crew, being friendly.

"Hello, everyone." his voice is quite loud. "I am Ragnar Bloodgullet! I'll be the cook for our journey. Please don't be shy! Come try some of my dishes!"

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Project Aquarius

A commotion is raised in the port town as an important-looking High Elf makes his way through the town followed by a sturdy Dwarven woman clinging to the arm of a 6 foot Forgeborn followed by several other Elves and Dwarves who don't look important at all. When they arrive at the ship's docking, the High Elf motions with his hand and the entourage gets into position to begin hoisting it onto deck with the ship's pulley. The High Elf approaches one of the crew.

"Yes, would you please inform your captain that Associate Director Briarwood has- BE CAREFUL YOU BUFFOONS; THAT THING COSTS MORE THAN ALL YOUR HIDES COMBINED- arrived?"

The Forgeborn and pulley operators collapse on deck simultaneously. The Dwarf runs to the machine's side.

"Are you alright, dear? That didn't hurt did it? Excuse me, sir, could you help me stand him up? Hi, Metallurgy Overseer Moltenshell, how are you? On the count of 3: 1, 2, 3! There. That better, sweetie? Thank you for your help, by the way."

Briarwood's shouting can be heard from the other side of town. "Oh dear. I'd better go check on him. You go introduce yourself to everyone, sweetie. I'll be right back."

As Moltenshell heads towards Briarwood and the unfortunate crew member, the Forgeborn makes his way to a group of obviously quaking deckhands.

"I AM DESIGNATED AQUARIUS. AS PART OF MY PROTOCOL, I AM AUTHORIZED TO BE PLEASED TO MAKE YOUR ACQUAINTANCE."

Icon rolls (Dwarf King, Elf Queen, The Three): 4, 3, 5.
Let me know if the sheet works this time.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 11, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hydros

A massive man stands on deck, his hair glistening wetly in the sea air, though he has not entered the water in some time. Having finished with the lion's share of the heavy lifting, though not a deckhand himself, he took a moment to take in the moist air with a deep breath. And then the quiet is broken by a loud crash. As he watches the metal thing move about, and a number of deckhands quake in confusion and fear, he strides forward. Giving a hearty laugh, a slap upon the back of a nearby deckhand, and a not quite shouted "good job, but don't worry about the metal one" he makes his way to Aquarius.

The metal thing, a Forgeborn, would not normally be all that aquatic, but this one seemed to be special. Could be interesting.

"Hail and Well Met Aquarius. I am Hydros." Then he gives a mighty backslap to the forgeborn, with enough force to rock even the aquatic construct.

He looks around, with one arm around Aquarius's shoulder, or whatever shoulder like area it has. He nods to "Ragnar, it is a pleasure of course, I look forward to sampling your food."

Emperor: Positive 2, Priestess: Positive 2: 4#1d6 4 1 6 5

pre:
Hydros

Race:  Human

Class:  Stalwart

One Unique Thing:  The half-mortal son of the God of the Sea

Backgrounds

Water Born (5 pts)

Rowdy Adventurer  (3 pts)

Icons

The Emperor  (2 pts Positive)
The Priestess  (2 pts Positive)

HP  33	REC 08 (1d10+4)
Initiative +1

STR 18 (+4)	+2cls
DEX 10 (+0)
CON 18 (+4)	+2rcl
INT 10 (+0)	
WIS 10 (+0)
CHR 10 (+0)

AC  18
PD  16
MD  11

Racial
   Quick to Fight: At the start of each battle, roll initiative twice and choose the result I want

Class Features
   Greatness:  Either have greatness or don't.  Do not, normally, start a battle with greatness.
	Gain greatness when he is hit by an enemy attack.  Lose greatness when he misses  
	all enemies with an attack.  Also lose greatness when he becomes unconscious, and
	when a battle ends.  The default is that he can use greatness powers without losing
	greatness, but a few powers specify that he must spend his greatness to use them.

Empowered by Fate:  Gain 1 relationship point with the Archmage, the Crusader, the Dwarf King,
	the Emperor, the Lich King, the Priestess, or the Three; I choose whether the point is 
	positive, conflicted, or negative.  This point can add to my normal relationship points
	but can't exceed the normal relationship maximums.  When an ally rolls a 5 or 6
	on an icon relationship roll with the Icon(s) this feature gave me a relationship
	point with, I start the next turn in battle with greatness.
	Extra point added to the Emperor.

Strength of Many:  Can lift twice and support about as much weight as two otherwise
	identical creatures normally can, and can move normally while carrying about
	your own weight (or twice my weight total).  Also gain the power of stunt.
	Power Stunt:  At the start of each battle, roll a d6.  Any time after the escalation 
	die reaches that number, I'll be able to use a quick action to spend my greatness
	and execute a power stunt.  Normally I can only use power stunt once per
	battle, but circumstances, geography, or excellent planning may suggest that I
	can pull it off more than once.
   	Adventurer feat:  Instead lift, support, and move normally with a  total
	of about five times the normal amount.  Also, roll an additional d20 for power stunt
	(any time after the escalation die reaches that number gain an additional use of 
	power stunt this battle.

Unarmed Attacks:  Unarmed attacks are light/simple weapons that do 1d6 plus any 
	applicable modifiers.

Talents
   Limbs of Iron:  Use strength instead of dexterity when determining AC in no armor, 
	when making ranged attacks and when using stalwart powers.

Titan Grapple:  Can grab a creature using the normal grab rules, with a successful 
	strength+level vs PD attack as a standard action.
	Adventurer Feat:  If I wish I move and am moved when grabbed or grabbing
	as if I were one size larger.

Weapons of Giants:  I wield, forge, or improvise oversized weapons.  While I have greatness,
	increase my weapon and unarmed damage dice by one step.

Powers:	
   Giant Strike: At-Will.  Melee attack
	Target:  1 non-staggered non-mook enemy.
	Attack:  Str (4) + targets level vs AC
	Damage:  Weapon + Str (4) + Con (4) damage
	Miss:  Damage equal to my level (1)

Catching Mice: At-Will.  Melee Attack, quick action.  Requires Greatness.
	Target:  One creature. 
	Special:  May use this power as a free action when an enemy attempts to 
	disengage from me, by spending my greatness.
	Attack:  Str (4) + level (1) vs PD.
	Hit:  I grab the target.

Titan Swing: At-Will.  Melee attack
	Target:  Each enemy engaged with me.
	Attack:  Str (4) + level (1) – (number of targets) vs AC
	Damage:  Weapon damage
	Miss:  -

Indomitable: At-Will, once per round.  Interrupt action; requires greatness.
	Trigger:  I am subjected to a condition, or an effect a save can end.
	Effect:  I roll a saving throw.  On a success, I am not subjected to the condition,
	or I save against the effect.
	Special:  I may use this power when first subjected to a last-grasp effect,
	to make a free saving throw against it.

Feats
   Strength of Many - Adventurer feat:  Instead lift, support, and move normally with a  total
	of about five times the normal amount.  Also, roll an additional d20 for power stunt
	(any time after the escalation die reaches that number gain an additional use of 
	power stunt this battle.
   Titan Grapple - Adventurer Feat:  If I wish I move and am moved when grabbed or grabbing
	as if I were one size larger.

Inventory
   Sleek half shorts (basically swim trunks)
   Makeshift Trident – three longswords lashed together (2H 1d10 heavy weapon) 
   Iron-studden staff (1H 1d8 heavy weapon)
   a couple actual tridents(1H 1d6 thrown weapon)
   coil of rope, some rum and meat, a sack to carry it all.
   25 gp.
pre:
Hydros, Human Stalwart 1
HP 33/33; Recoveries 8/8 (1d10+43); Greatness NO
AC 18 PD 16 MD 11
STR 18/+4 CON 18/+4 DEX 10/+0
INT 10/+0 WIS 10/+0 CHA 10/+0
+5 Water Born, +3 Rowdy Adventurer
Equip: Sleek half shorts (basically swim trunks)
   Iron-studded staff (1H 1d8 heavy weapon)
Gear: coil of rope, some rum and meat, a sack to carry it all, 25 gp

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 14, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Drake

Drake has already been on the boat for a couple days, hiding in the lower decks while the crew busily prepare the ship to set sail. Today, on the day they cast off, Drake is on the top deck, observing the sailors as they go about their tasks. Despite living in Sea Port, he's never actually been on a boat before, and he wants to be able to watch as they cast off. It's risky for Drake to be above-deck like this, of course, but he's wearing a uniform stolen from another crewman, to which he has added a face-concealing hood, which will hopefully not draw any suspicion. For now, the crew seems to be distracted by the arrival of some very strange figures.

Drake notices the elf lieutenant heading roughly in his direction and grabs a nearby coil of rope, attempting to look busy by tying and untying random knots.

Icon rolls (The Three, 2 negative; The Archmage, 1 positive): 3#1d6 2 2 3

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Experimental food with Ragnar
A hungry, inexperienced midshipwoman cautiously approaches you and seems to be torn between two decisions: Does she really want to try this strange food? In the end, her hunger works out, and she timidly asks for "just a bit of that eel skin, please".

Stallion Cabana, your new character sheet works! Roll me some sort of cooking check and narrate the result if you want(dc20 for strange food). Also, could you roll (or repost in this thread) your icon rolls?

Making friends with Project: A and Hydros
None of the other crewmembers seem to be eager to start a conversation. One of them whispers "Maybe we should get Haggrast in here." Before he can do anything, though, he is brushed aside by Haggrast himself, a stout dwarf, one of the few on the ship. "Beggin' your pardon, sir" he says to Hydros, "the lads seem a bit shocked, but maybe if I talk to our new friend here, they'll see he means 'em no harm."
He advances towards the forgeborn "Pleased to make your acquaintance as well, I'm sure. Been a while since I saw one of your kind on a ship, meaning no disrespect, sir. Don't mind these scared children, they'll soon come round when they see what you can do. what, eh, what is your make, if I may ask?"

Bluffing with Drake
"You there," lieutenant Pallinbrook says sternly, looking in your direction and advancing towards you, "leave those knots alone at once, or I'll have your hide. A fine mess we would look to the entire squadron and the city were we to lose something precious because of your infernal lubberly meddling. You'll have all the chance to learn knotting, splicing and reefing soon enough, as the gods are my witnesses! Hang on," he suddenly says. What's wrong with your face?"

Flame112, roll me some kind of diplomacy or deception check (dc15, the lieutenant has much on his mind).

--
current icon rolls: Project Aquarius: The Three -5 // Hydros: +6, +5: The Priestess //

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 11, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Thomas
It's been too long a time since Thomas was on the deck of a ship. He was one of the first to arrive, of course, and has been spending a few precious moments breathing in the salty morning air. The arrival of the forgeborn and retinue shakes him from his reverie. He strides towards the motley group, taking a single piece of Ragnar's pickled eel as he passes, and greets the new arrival: "You must be Aquarius. Thomas Wyndmere, master. Of the ship, and in this instance I believe yourself as well, being the master's mate and all. Charmed, I'm sure." He turns to the elf and dwarf. "Captain's due to arrive any minute, lady and gent, so I've got to insist you move along. Unless there's any information on the care and feeding of our new crewman you'd like to provide?" He pops the pickled eel in his mouth. It's not terrible, but neither is it especially appetizing.

Emperor: Conflicted: 3#1d6 3 6 4
pre:
Thomas Wyndemere, Human Rogue 1
HP 27/27; Recoveries 8/8 (1d8+3); Momentum NO
AC 16 PD 16 MD 12
STR 10/00 CON 16/+3 DEX 16/+3
INT 08/-1 WIS 12/+1 CHA 16/+3
+4 Ship's Master, +4 Scoundrel
Equip: Cutlass, wheel-lock pistols, leather armor
Gear: Letter of marque, 25 gp

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Aquarius

Aquarius manages to shake hands with Hydros as Briarwood sneers. "Bah! I don't answer to you, ruffian. I have important business with the captain."
"Oh you know we're just dropping off the manual. We don't need to stand on ceremony. Hi, Metallurgy Overseer Moltenshell, nice to meet you. Oh I do hope y'all and Aquarius become good friends. Poor boy; had to spend his whole life cooped up in a lab, you know."
"Can it! It's obvious we're not needed here so we'll be leaving then. Here."
Briarwood hands a massive leather-bound book Thomas. "If Aquarius is to answer to you, then you'll need this. It'll tell you everything you need to know; It is essential that you read that cover to cover."
"Oh he says that, but really he runs himself honestly. Still, it would be best to keep that in a safe place just in case."
"Whatever. Just know I'm not taking the blame if something goes wrong." He addresses Aquarius. "Aquarius. I am transferring ownership to..." He grimaces. "...The crew of the Nemesis."
"...CONFIRMED."
"Good. ...Make me proud." Briarwood storms off.
"Bye, sweetie. Stay safe. Bring us home a nice souvenir, like a Dragon skull maybe." Aquarius kneels down and Moltenshell kisses him on what you assume is the cheek.
"COME ON, WANDA; WE GOT poo poo TO DO!"
Moltenshell runs off, stopping to wave goodbye at the gangplank before chasing after Briarwood.
Aquarius turns to Haggrast. "I AM DESIGNATED AQUARIUS: A COLLABORATION OF DWARVEN METALLURGY AND ELVISH MAGICS DESIGNED FOR MARITIME TRANSPORT AND CONFLICT."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Drake

Drake freezes momentarily as the lieutenant addresses him. "Stay calm," he thinks, "you've talked his way out of trouble in Sea Port before, this is no different." Drake takes a deep breath, drops the rope, and immediately launches into a rapidfire, blubbering apology, playing the part of a nervous new crewmember. "OhI'msosorrysir, Ijustwantedtomakemyselfuseful, I hope I haven't caused any problems, I want to be a sailor so bad. As far as my face, well, I gots a bit of a skin condition. Gets real bad out in the sun like this, real gruesome, let me tell you. Momma said I had to cover up or I'd make the other sailors sick! But it shouldn't affect my work, so don't you worry about that, sir!

Bluff this dude (CHA + Street Rat + Level): 1d20+4+5+1 21

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

Piper approached Ragnar's table and grabbed a piece of goat stomach. As he did, a tiny spark jumped from his sleeve and landed on one of the pickled eel skins. The appetizer sprouted miniature elephant's legs, and after a few hesitant steps, it disintegrated with a tiny *paf*. "Oh dear." Piper looked embarrassed as he picked a clean rag out of his pocket and swiftly wiped up the snack's powdery remains. He was so distracted he barely noticed how the goat stomach tasted.

"Anyway, it's a pleasure to meet you, Ragnar. I'm Piper Tallfellow, ship's surgeon. Mick has told me a great deal about you." He made no mention of the briefly mobile apéritif, and it's plain from his expression he was hoping Ragnar would follow suit. "I was hoping to talk to you about gruel for the sickbay. I know it's not a particularly complicated recipe but every cook I've met seems to have their own version."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ragnar Bloodgullet

No problemo; Icon Dice; 2d6 Emperor Positive, 1d6 The Three Negative: 3#1d6 1 4 5

Cookin roll; Using Str because he cooks with the fury of his muscles and bones, wrestling and grappling eels into the pot. For he is a (not) Literal Iron Chef. Cookin some Food, DC 20: 1d20+10 26

He serves up the Eel Skin with great precision, balanced perfectly on a small plat. Then Piper's strange spark hit it, and it disappeared. "...Ah hold on. Don't worry." He says, quickly getting another one for the midshipwoman and handing it to her, before turning to the Medic.

"Ah yes, yes, my gruel. I have a very good recipe for gruel. I use Squid Ink Sacs, Shark Cartilage, stirred with a goat femur. Generally for two or three hours, the higher the altitude the better, so I usually like the crow's nest for the gruel. It's a great recipe and sure to help even the worst of injuries."

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

"I can't say I've heard that particular version before. It sounds very...hearty. And labour intensive." Piper absent-mindedly munched on an eel skin as he contemplated Ragnar's recipe. "Oh my! This is very good!"

Piper decided to take just one more piece of goat's stomach, since he didn't really get a chance to enjoy the last one. "I don't suppose you could somehow work a grain in there somehow? Medically speaking, grains like barley or hemp balance the humours, even if they aren't much on flavour."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ragnar Bloodgullet

"Grain, hmm?" He considered, rubbing his chin. "Maybe. I have a recipe for Chicken Liver and Pineapple bread. Perhaps I could marinate the bread in the gruel or serve it on the side. Yeah. I can definitely manage that. I'll write it down to add."

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Lieutenant Pallingbrook casts one more glace at the strange sailor. "It doesn't look contagious", he thinks, and walks on.

Ms. Midshipwoman Alicia Foxleaf, who is smiling and enjoying the aftertaste of the new cook's food in her mouth, casually looks to larboard.
"Captain's barge casting off!", she suddenly cries.
The atmosphere in the ship changes completely. Gone is the feeling of calm and leisure. Everyone finishes or stops what they are doing and prepares to welcome the captain to her ship. "Marines, form lines! Bosun's mates, sideboys, lively now!", the first lieutenant cries.

Not long after, the captain comes on board. "Very well, Mr Pallingbrook, we will prepare the ship to depart. Ms Foxleaf, you are the signal midshipwoman. Signal to flag "permission to part company".
Flags appear on the flagship even before Foxleaf has finished hoisting. It seems this request was anticipated.
"Flag to Nemesis: proceed. Happy hunting."
"Acknowledge."

The captain proceeds to the assembled officers. After everyone has introduced themselves, she says: "We will have time to become better acquainted once we are in open sea. Down t'gallants! Let fly the mainsail. Haul anchor! Mr Wyndmere, once we are clear of the harbour, you may lay a course south by south-west."

I need seamanship rolls from everyone who thinks their character has some part in getting the ship underway successfully.

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 12, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Project Aquarius

Upon hearing the Captain's orders, Aquarius turns to Thomas. "I HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED THE ROLE MASTER'S MATE, CORRECT? MEMORY STATES-"

Aquarius freezes up for a second before continuing. "...PROTOCOL REQUIRES I AID IN HOISTING THE ANCHOR."

Strength check vs. Anchor: 1d20+5+3=11. Well dang.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

Piper made his introductions, but retreated belowdecks to his sickbay not too long after (nothing was worse than an officer on deck who didn't have anything to do - they always seemed to end up exactly where someone else needed to be). It was too early in the voyage for him to build up an actionable medical log, and they were too recently departed for there to be any pressing health issues. After a day or two there'd be the usual minor injuries and the early symptoms of whatever intimate diseases the sailors had picked up on shore leave, but for now he was content to put on a kettle of tea and help the loblollies finish up with the cleaning.

Barring, of course, some kind of horrible naval accident that requires his services.

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 12, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ragnar Bloodgullet

After introductions, and realizing the ship is about to sail- though only once movement begins, Ragnar is not useful at any of the actual ship stuff, so he quickly disappears into the ship with his sample platters, carefully avoiding any of the workers. His job is the cooking, so he goes to see what he will be preparing in a little while instead of getting in anyone's way.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Thomas
Mister Wyndemere! Probably the first time he's been called by such an eminent title, and by a real captain to boot! If only that drunkard Wheeler could see him now! "Aye-aye, ma'am," he hollers over the din. Barking orders to those crewmen that can't hear the captain, he keeps an eye out for any trouble spots. It's poor luck to a ship that casts off only with great difficulty, and he won't have that on his head.

Wisdom (Ship's Master): 1d20+6 21

Noticing Aquarius in a spot of trouble, he swiftly moves to assist and keep the anchor from dropping again. "Gods' sakes, metal man! Shake the rust off and give it a good heave. Can't afford mistakes this early on!"

Dammit Aquarius (Con+Ship's Master): 1d20+8 19

pre:
AC 16 PD 16 MD 12

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

The ship has reached open seas. After the customary exercises with the guns (nothing like it to ascertain the quality of a crew), the captain retreats to the great cabin, followed by the first lieutenant, to discuss the ship's mission. However, nothing can remain a secret for long on a ship, so the rumour quickly spreads: They are to intercept a draconic frigate which has been harassing the shipping between Axis and Santa Cora.

The crew sets to its duties with a large amount of zeal: A chance for a prize! A chance for battle and glory!

A few hours later, a cry from the masthead is heard "Deck there, two sails 2 points of the larboard bow!" The captain rushes from her cabin and takes a spyglass: a schooner seems to be chasing a merchant brig. "Not our quarry, but we must help nonetheless", she says, to the satisfaction and relief of the hands. "Beat to quarters! Mr Wyndemere, Lay us alongside the schooner! We'll carry her by boarding! Cutlasses and pistols, no point in using the guns, we can't risk hitting the brig."

Thomas expertly lays the ship along the schooner, the crew rushes to the schooner's deck, and the battle begins. Everyone seems to be fighting in small groups, and a group of archers and thugs appears to be waiting for you...

Battle!
3 Human thugs: AC 17, PD 14, MD 12, HP (27/27/27). Human thug initiative: 1d20+3 14
3 Skeleton Archers: AC 16, PD 14, MD 11, HP (26/26/26). skeleton archer initiative: 1d20+7 25

pre:
Archer1............Archer2................Archer3
Thug1..............Thug2..................Thug3

You guys
I wanted to get the first battle underway, so I just made the ship move on the captain's decisions without any problems. If you want, there will be more navigation/lookout/cannon/... tests in the future. For battles, do you want me to roll initiative for you in the future or would you like to do it yourselves?

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 12, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

While Piper was a healer, he was also an unpredictable maelstrom of arcane, divine, and who knows what else kinds of energies. Generally speaking, in stressful combat situations the preference was to have him on the enemy deck, where random fires and reality inversions mostly happened to the other guy.

Initiative: 1d20+1 19
Spell Determination: 1d6 2 (Attack)
Attacking Warp Effect: 1d6 5 (Until end of next turn, when an enemy disengages from me, it takes 1 damage)
High Weirdness: 1d100 78 (Irrelevant effect)

As for rolling Initiative, I'm good with either.

pre:
Piper, Chaos Mage 1
HP 24/24; Recoveries 8/8 (1d6+2)
AC 12 PD 12 MD 14
STR 8/-1  DEX 12/+1 CON 14/+2
INT 14/+2 WIS 12/+1  CHA 18/+4
+5 Ship's Surgeon, +3 May Have Broken the Universe (A Little Bit)
Equip: Surgeon's Uniform, Medical Equipment of Varying Kinds, 50 gp

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 12, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Project Aquarius

"HOSTILES CONFIRMED. INITIALIZING COMBAT PROTOCOLS."

Initiative: 16. I'm good either way for rolling. You can see my char. sheet now, right?

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 12, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ragnar Bloodgullet

The chef returns to the upper deck in a swirl of knives. "Well I have to let my Batwing soup with asparagus sauce stew for a little bit anyway." He states, with a small pot in his left hand. "And I have to stir this one so this should be fine." He decides, preparing to join the battle!

you can roll for me from now on, yeah.

Initiative: 1d20+2 21
pre:
Ragnar Bloodgullet, Half-Orc Fighter 1
HP 36/36; Recoveries 9/9 (1d10+5)
AC 17 PD 15 MD 11
STR 18/+5 CON 18/+5 DEX 12/+1
INT 10/00 WIS 10/00 CHA 8/-1
+5 Supreme Battle Chef, +2 Unrelenting Optimist, +1 A little service in every Company
Equip: The Finest Array of Knives and cooking implements, Hot Plate shield.
Gear: Adventurer's kit, 25 gp

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Thomas
Initiative: 1d20+4 13
Initiative: 1d20+4 8
Go ahead and roll this yourself in future; it's just d20+DEX+Level (2x take best in my case)

pre:
AC 16 PD 16 MD 12

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Drake

Drake exhales slowly as the lieutenant walks away. That was way too close. He watches with interest as the captain makes her entrance, then retreats back below-decks to avoid drawing any more attention to himself.

He's not there for long, however, before someone spots an enemy ship. This is it! The reason he's on this ship. Drake's chance to prove himself in battle, and to show that despite his scales, he's not some mindless servant of the Three. Drake charges up onto the top deck and throws back his hood, revealing his multicolored scales to all. "Minions of the Three, forsake your evil masters or be destroyed!"

Initiative: 1d20+3 23
I'm fine with your rolling initiative for me in the future. Also the skeleton archers have 1 PD? Is that a typo?

pre:
Drake, Dragonspawn Sorcerer 1
HP 27/27; Recoveries 8/8 (1d6+3) 
AC 14 PD 14 MD 13
STR 8/-1  DEX 14/+2 CON 16/+3
INT 14/+2 WIS 8/-1  CHA 18/+4
+5 Arcane Experiment, +5 New Port Street Rat
Equip: Stolen Navy Uniform, Quarterstaff, 25 gp

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 12, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hydros

Hydros looks up from dealing with some rope when the call goes out. He smiles in anticipation.

Initiative 2d20k1+1 21 I am okay with you rolling initiative in the future if that helps speed things up. Being human my initiative roll uses the above.

pre:
Hydros, Human Stalwart 1
AC 18 PD 16 MD 11

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

As you run onto the enemy’s deck, you are met by a whirl of arrows which fortunately only hit the deck. However, you see the skeleton archers take careful aim, and 3 more arrows fly towards Drake, Piper and Thomas.

skeleton archer attack vs AC: 3#1d20+7 19 17 27 Critical hit!

Unfortunately, all three of you are hit. Thomas, who was keeping one eye on your own ship, suddenly feels a large amount of pain.

Drake and Piper take 6 damage. Thomas takes a critical hit, 12 damage.

Although he is hit with an arrow, Drake now prepares himself to attack…

Initiative
3 skeleton archers: 25 (AC 16, PD 14, MD 11, HP (26/26/26))
Drake: 23
Ragnar and Hydros: 21
Piper: 19
Project Aquarius: 16
3 human thugs: 14 (AC 17, PD 14, MD 12, HP (27/27/27))
Thomas: 13

I can see everyone's character sheet now, thanks. I'll roll initiative in the future. Typo corrected.

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 14, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Drake

Drake takes an arrow to the shoulder before finding cover behind the ship's railing. Well, at least it should be obvious now that he's not on the skeletons' side. Drake removes one of his gloves and points a finger at the archer who hit him. The red scales around his hand begin to glow and a ray of fire appears from his finger, which flies between the ships and just barely misses the archer, harmlessly creating a plume of steam in the water behind the ship.

Scorching Ray: 1d20+5 13

pre:
HP 21/27; Recoveries 8/8 (1d6+3) 
AC 14 PD 14 MD 13
So are there, like, gangplanks connecting the two ships at this point or are they just close by?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

I'd say you are all on the enemy's deck or on your own (in my mind, you've all boarded the enemy ship, but if you want to stay on yours, just mention it). If you want to move between ships, it requires some climbing/jumping (planks would easily shift and fall in the sea, when boarding, they just got the ships together and tried to get on the enemy's deck by jumping or climbing)

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 14, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hydros

Hydros gives a mighty laugh, leaps to the enemy ship and strides toward the three skeleton archers. Then he attempts to punch each of them in the face, but sadly misses.

Well since someone, Thomas, rolled a 5 or 6 on the Relationship Dice with the Emperor I get Greatness.

Strength of Many roll at start of battle 1d6: 1d20 1, 13 So I can use Strength of Many at any point after the Escalation Die reaches 1, and then a second time when it reaches 13.

I assume the three skeleton archers are close enough that I can engage all 3. If not then for each I can't engage that is one less attack/damage roll and one less -1 penalty.

Titan Swing vs AC of each enemy engaged with me 3#1d20+5-3 5, 6, 12 bah for 3#1d8 8, 1, 7 damage. Welp since all my attacks missed I lose Greatness. So my plan for after this attack is wasted.

pre:
Hydros, Human Stalwart 1
AC 18 PD 16 MD 11

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Pennfalath posted:

I'd say you are all on the enemy's deck or on your own (in my mind, you've all boarded the enemy ship, but if you want to stay on yours, just mention it). If you want to move between ships, it requires some climbing/jumping (planks would easily shift and fall in the sea, when boarding, they just got the ships together and tried to get on the enemy's deck by jumping or climbing)

I'd rather stay on our ship and blast skeletons and let our big strong manly people board the other ship. I'll head over to the enemy ship if I want to use a close power or something. Also, I was wondering, can I empower my Dragonspawn Breath racial power with my Gather Power class feature? And if so, does my feat that gives me +2 to empowered breath attacks work?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Flame112 posted:

I'd rather stay on our ship and blast skeletons and let our big strong manly people board the other ship. I'll head over to the enemy ship if I want to use a close power or something. Also, I was wondering, can I empower my Dragonspawn Breath racial power with my Gather Power class feature? And if so, does my feat that gives me +2 to empowered breath attacks work?

Okay, sure! You're still on your own ship. I've looked it over, and I think you can combine your breath with gather power and even the feat, if you want.

pre:
Archer1-Archer2-Archer3      Thug1-Thug2-Thug3
         Hydros
......................................................sea

Drake
Initiative
3 skeleton archers: 25 (AC 16, PD 14, MD 11, HP (26/26/26))
3 human thugs: 14 (AC 17, PD 14, MD 12, HP (27/27/27))

current icon rolls: Project Aquarius: The Three -5 // Hydros: +6, +5: The Priestess // Thomas: Emperor +-6 // Ragnar: The Three: -5

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 15, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ragnar Bloodgullet

With a flourish, Ragnar pulls out his best meat carver and leaps across the ships, landing next to the thugs with melee weapons, he takes a swing at one of them with his carver, the sharp edge gleaming. As he connects with his opponent, he adjusts his grip and starts to move like a trained warrior. Despite his strange apperance and stranger food, it is clear he is not just a strange, silly man; he knows how to fight.

Jumping on the Ship if it is Neccesary. Str + A little Service in Every Company: 1d20+6 19
Attack on Thug 1: 1d20+6 25

A 19 lets me use Carve an Opening, increasing my Critical Threat Range by 1, so 19-20 until I score a critical hit.

Damage is; Damage Roll: 1d8+4 5 Aww
pre:
Ragnar Bloodgullet, Half-Orc Fighter 1
HP 36/36; Recoveries 9/9 (1d10+5)
AC 17 PD 15 MD 11
STR 18/+5 CON 18/+5 DEX 12/+1
INT 10/00 WIS 10/00 CHA 8/-1
+5 Supreme Battle Chef, +2 Unrelenting Optimist, +1 A little service in every Company
Equip: The Finest Array of Knives and cooking implements, Hot Plate shield.
Gear: Adventurer's kit, 25 gp

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

Piper was surprised at the sudden revelation of a Dragonspawn among their crew, though practicality immediately took over and he found himself trying to recall where he'd packed Dragownes of The Realms and Their Anatomie. Certainly, there would be a whole new dimension of medical ailments he could run into, mainly types of scale fungus and parasites...

His train of thought was interrupted by an arrow through something non-vital. He dived for cover, and as he did so he hoped that something bad would happen to whoever did it. In his experience, his hopes were answered pretty frequently. He heard a faint *whoomph* sound from over where the thugs were clustered, as if one of them had been hit by a massive, invisible fist, and at the same time he felt himself blur a little, as if he were a splotch of damp paint someone had run their thumb over.

Casting Force Tentacles.

Determine target, left to right in order: 1d6 4 (Targets Thug 1)
Attack Roll vs. PD: 1d20+5 17
Damage Roll (Force Damage): 1d10+4 14
Spell Determination: 1d5 3 (Defense Spell))
Defensive Warp: 1d6 1 (Can recover as a quick action before end of next turn)
High Weirdness: 1d100 89 (I do not take miss damage while effect is active)

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Project Aquarius

Aquarius' eyes turn toward Drake, then turn red. "PRIORITY TARGET CONFIRMED."

The scream of a crew member gains his attention and his eyes glow yellow again. "SWITCHING OBJECTIVES: MAINTAIN PHYSICAL AND MENTAL WELL-BEING OF CREW."

He takes aim at one of the skeletons.

Ranged attack vs. Skeleton Archer 3: 1d20+4=10.

"RECALIBRATING."

Archery reroll vs. Skeleton Archer 3: 1d20+4=15. Welp. 1 miss damage.

"SECONDARY OBJECTIVE CONFIRMED: INSPECT CHASSIS FOR OXIDATION."

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Thug1 shouts out "Hey, scaley, aren't you on the wrong ship? Come on, help us out here!". Next, he and thug2 attack Ragnar. Thug 3 runs around them and goes to help his archer friends against Hydros. Ragnar and Hydros manage to dodge the attacks!

Human thugs attack with heavy maces VS AC: 3#1d20+5 11 6 11

Thug 1 and 3: Natural even hit or miss: +6 damage with next attack

pre:
Archer1-Archer2-Archer3      Thug1-Thug2
         Hydros  Thug 3            Ragnar

Drake   Project A         Piper
Initiative
3 skeleton archers: 25 (AC 16, PD 14, MD 11, HP (26/26/25))
3 human thugs: 14 (AC 17, PD 14, MD 12, HP (8/27/27))

current icon rolls: Project Aquarius: The Three -5 // Hydros: +6, +5: The Priestess // Thomas: Emperor +-6 // Ragnar: The Three: -5

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Thomas
Leaping to the enemy deck, Thomas is pegged in the shoulder by an arrow for his trouble. But he's already in motion, and the arrow isn't enough to stop him from cutting the thug engaged with Ragnar, then flitting away to the other side of the deck.

Standard: attack Thug 2
Tumbling Strike: 1d20+4 17 HIT
Sneak Attack: 1d8+1d6+3 11 damage
Quick: Tumbling Disengage: 1d20+10 29
Move to far side of deck

pre:
HP 15/27; Recoveries 8/8 (1d8+3); Momentum YES
AC 16 PD 16 MD 12

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

The three archers, even though they're skeletons, are somewhat intimidated by the large man standing in front of them, and try to disengage. Only the third archer succeeds.
archers disengage: 3#1d20 19 13 10

A bit apprehensive, they still try to fire their bows, the first at Hydros, the other at Piper. Archer 3, now disengaged, moves back a bit and fires at Ragnar.

archers attack vs AC: 3#1d20+7 9 17 14

The first archer fired too quickly, and misses. He looks in fear as Hydros strikes back at him. Hydros gets to make a standard AoU against Archer1

The second archer takes careful aim and fires. Piper is hit with an arrow in the torso. Hydros uses this moment to strike at the archer.
Hydros also gets to make a standard AoU against Archer2. Piper takes 6 damage.

The third archer is too afraid to hit his own shipmates to aim carefully, and his arrow goes wide.

One of the thugs shakes his head and thinks: "Bloody skeletons, can't they use guns like the rest of us?"

pre:
Archer1-Archer2-Archer3      Thug1-Thug2         Thomas
         Hydros  Thug 3            Ragnar

Drake   Project A         Piper
Initiative
3 skeleton archers: 25 (AC 16, PD 14, MD 11, HP (26/26/25))
3 human thugs: 14 (AC 17, PD 14, MD 12, HP (8/16/27))

THE ESCALATION DIE IS 1

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 17, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Drake

"You're right! I am on the wrong ship!" Drake grabs a nearby hanging rope, gets a running start and then swings halfway between the ships, over the deep blue ocean. At the apex of the swing, he lets go and flies through the air, landing heavily next Ragnar. Drake faces the thug who spoke up and says, coldly. "Let me make my allegiances clear to everyone here." The thug tries to speak, but Drake cuts him off with a blast of dragonflame. The thug drops dead, burnt to a crisp.

Drake points at the next thug as he begins glowing as he gathers magical energies, and a tiny bolt of lightning arcs off of Drake's finger and strikes the thug on the nose.

Move Action:
Swing to the other ship (Dex + Street Rat + Level): 1d20+8 23
I figure I've done some parkour style escapes from authorities or Three agents or something.
Quick Action: Dragonspawn breath
Dragonspawn breath: 1d20+5+1 26 1d6 5 Crit! Thug 1 takes 10 damage and dies.
Standard: Using Gather Power.
Gather Power bonus: 1d6 6 Thug 2 takes 1 damage.

pre:
HP 21/27; Recoveries 8/8 (1d6+3) 
AC 14 PD 14 MD 13 POWER: GATHERED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hydros

Hydros smacks both of the skeleton archers as they try to fire within his reach, casually cracking bones with his blows. But he is not done with them yet. He balls up his fist and punches one of the skeletons with a bone shattering blow straight in the skull, knocking the skull flying and pulping the skeleton into powder.

"Hahaha, whats next?"

He focuses his attention on the remaining skeleton in his reach, and cracks his knuckles while a big grin spreads on his face.

Wow Hydros wasn't hit. No Greatness so can't spend it to do a crazy power stunt.

AoU vs Archer 1 1d20+4+1+1 24 for 1d6+4 9 damage.
AoU vs Archer 2 1d20+4+1+1 19 for 1d6+4 6 damage.
I assume the three skeleton archers are close enough that I can engage all 3. If not then for each I can't engage that is one less attack/damage roll and one less -1 penalty.

Giant Strike vs AC of Skeleton Archer 2 1d20+4+1+(level of skeleton archer 2) 25+ (natural 20!)for 1d6+4+4 13x2 for crit = 26 damage.

pre:
Hydros, Human Stalwart 1
AC 18 PD 16 MD 11

• Locked thread