Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow
Sheet

A conscientious sort, Piper had been preparing for cast off from the moment he'd sailed into harbour. He'd put in his requisition for new bandages, herbs, and poultices immediately, and knowing what the Quartermasters around here were like, had also invested in a small cask of good wine and a large keg of mediocre beer. While he'd managed to grease the wheels of the bureaucracy, even alcohol could only go so far; the final order of iron splints didn't wind up in his hands until that very morning, and he'd spent the rest of it getting his supplies in order.

At this very moment, he was giving final orders to his two loblolly 'boys', a half-orc named Grunda and a half-elf named Mick. Grunda, despite being barely into her teens, was well over six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders. It was her job to restrain patients during surgery, and break any bones Piper needed to reset. The other was shared between Piper and the cook, and was responsible for keeping the patients fed with the finest gruel the Navy had to offer. All that was left was to give the surgery a good scrubbing, and as a wardroom officer Piper was not expected to assist in such a menial task. Once they got out to sea, Piper frequently got his hands dirty, but here on the shore there was far more pressure to keep up appearances.

With his two assistants below deck, Piper found himself with nothing to do, quite a rare occurrence. He took a moment to look out over the docks and admire the sea of ships docked at the port before he turned his attention to his fellow crew members.

Icon Rolls, Emperor -> Archmage -> Priestess: 3#1d6 1 3 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

Piper approached Ragnar's table and grabbed a piece of goat stomach. As he did, a tiny spark jumped from his sleeve and landed on one of the pickled eel skins. The appetizer sprouted miniature elephant's legs, and after a few hesitant steps, it disintegrated with a tiny *paf*. "Oh dear." Piper looked embarrassed as he picked a clean rag out of his pocket and swiftly wiped up the snack's powdery remains. He was so distracted he barely noticed how the goat stomach tasted.

"Anyway, it's a pleasure to meet you, Ragnar. I'm Piper Tallfellow, ship's surgeon. Mick has told me a great deal about you." He made no mention of the briefly mobile apéritif, and it's plain from his expression he was hoping Ragnar would follow suit. "I was hoping to talk to you about gruel for the sickbay. I know it's not a particularly complicated recipe but every cook I've met seems to have their own version."

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

"I can't say I've heard that particular version before. It sounds very...hearty. And labour intensive." Piper absent-mindedly munched on an eel skin as he contemplated Ragnar's recipe. "Oh my! This is very good!"

Piper decided to take just one more piece of goat's stomach, since he didn't really get a chance to enjoy the last one. "I don't suppose you could somehow work a grain in there somehow? Medically speaking, grains like barley or hemp balance the humours, even if they aren't much on flavour."

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

Piper made his introductions, but retreated belowdecks to his sickbay not too long after (nothing was worse than an officer on deck who didn't have anything to do - they always seemed to end up exactly where someone else needed to be). It was too early in the voyage for him to build up an actionable medical log, and they were too recently departed for there to be any pressing health issues. After a day or two there'd be the usual minor injuries and the early symptoms of whatever intimate diseases the sailors had picked up on shore leave, but for now he was content to put on a kettle of tea and help the loblollies finish up with the cleaning.

Barring, of course, some kind of horrible naval accident that requires his services.

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 12, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

While Piper was a healer, he was also an unpredictable maelstrom of arcane, divine, and who knows what else kinds of energies. Generally speaking, in stressful combat situations the preference was to have him on the enemy deck, where random fires and reality inversions mostly happened to the other guy.

Initiative: 1d20+1 19
Spell Determination: 1d6 2 (Attack)
Attacking Warp Effect: 1d6 5 (Until end of next turn, when an enemy disengages from me, it takes 1 damage)
High Weirdness: 1d100 78 (Irrelevant effect)

As for rolling Initiative, I'm good with either.

pre:
Piper, Chaos Mage 1
HP 24/24; Recoveries 8/8 (1d6+2)
AC 12 PD 12 MD 14
STR 8/-1  DEX 12/+1 CON 14/+2
INT 14/+2 WIS 12/+1  CHA 18/+4
+5 Ship's Surgeon, +3 May Have Broken the Universe (A Little Bit)
Equip: Surgeon's Uniform, Medical Equipment of Varying Kinds, 50 gp

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

Piper was surprised at the sudden revelation of a Dragonspawn among their crew, though practicality immediately took over and he found himself trying to recall where he'd packed Dragownes of The Realms and Their Anatomie. Certainly, there would be a whole new dimension of medical ailments he could run into, mainly types of scale fungus and parasites...

His train of thought was interrupted by an arrow through something non-vital. He dived for cover, and as he did so he hoped that something bad would happen to whoever did it. In his experience, his hopes were answered pretty frequently. He heard a faint *whoomph* sound from over where the thugs were clustered, as if one of them had been hit by a massive, invisible fist, and at the same time he felt himself blur a little, as if he were a splotch of damp paint someone had run their thumb over.

Casting Force Tentacles.

Determine target, left to right in order: 1d6 4 (Targets Thug 1)
Attack Roll vs. PD: 1d20+5 17
Damage Roll (Force Damage): 1d10+4 14
Spell Determination: 1d5 3 (Defense Spell))
Defensive Warp: 1d6 1 (Can recover as a quick action before end of next turn)
High Weirdness: 1d100 89 (I do not take miss damage while effect is active)

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

The blurring around Piper faded as he was hit again by an arrow, but this second wound seemed to set off a bizarre magical chain reaction. The area around Piper seemed to grey out and slow down. There was a terrible pressure as causality tried to reassert itself, then a cracking noise as it gave up the ghost. The greyscale Piper shattered as another Piper, this one still in colour and seemingly much less wounded, stepped out from within himself. The greyed-out shards of the old Piper whirled around him in an unnatural storm of dangerous edges, and the deck of the enemy ship seemed to lose a bit of its brightness.

Recovery: 1d6+2 7 Quick Action from my Defensive Warp
Casting Chaos Blessing
Chaos Blessing: 1d20 11 Aura/Tentacles: The next enemy to engage me takes 2d6 damage
Spell Determination: 1d4 3 Iconic Spell
Icon Spell Selection: 1d12 11 Prince of Shadows
Iconic Warp: 1d6 3 Gain once per battle racial ability of random nearby ally
Random Ally (Descending Initiative Order): 1d5 2 Gain Half-Orc's 'Lethal' from Ragnar
High Weirdness: 1d100 38 Global Effect: All failed Saves count as passed, all passed saves count as failed.

pre:
Piper, Chaos Mage 1
HP 19/24; Recoveries 8/8 (1d6+2)
AC 12 PD 12 MD 14

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

Strange shadows flicker over the remaining thug and the ungrabbed skeleton archer, completely covering them in darkness. When it fades, the two have switched places. The greying of the atmosphere fades, though Piper is still surrounding by a storm of whirling shards.

Casting Shadow Dance
Damage (Thug 3): 1d6 3
Damage (Archer): 1d6 5
Spell Determination: 1d3 1 (Attack Spell)
Attacking Warp: 1d6 2 (An enemy that misses me with a melee attack is stuck until end of their next turn)
High Weirdness: 1d100 42 (Irrelevant effect)

pre:
Piper, Chaos Mage 1
AC 12 PD 12 MD 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Piper Tallfellow

Several of the shards surrounding Piper flicked themselves at the remaining archer, in a couple cases deliberately changing their course mid-flight to avoid hitting Hydros. They ripped into it, though it was still standing. He turned towards Thomas and Drake to shout a warning, but instead of words he inexplicably spewed fire from his mouth. Fortunately (as always seemed to be the case for him), the enemy sailor near both of them took the brunt of it, which naturally took it right out of the fight.

Casting Chaos Ray on the last archer
Chaos Ray Attack vs. Archer: 1d20+8 21
Chaos Ray Damage: 1d8+4 8
Spell Determination: 1d2 2 Iconic Spell
Iconic Warp: 1d6 3 Gain racial power of random ally
Random Ally (Descending Initiative Order): 1d5 1 Gain Dragonspawn's Breath Weapon
Icon Selection: 1d12 3 The Diabolist
Breath Weapon Attack vs. Thug: 1d20+8 25
Breath Weapon Attack vs. Thug Damage: 1d6 4
High Weirdness: 1d100 52 Gain an additional quick action this and next turn.

pre:
Piper, Chaos Mage 1
AC 12 PD 12 MD 14

• Locked thread