Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Okay, so, can you clarify how it is we are reborn?

Do we come back to life instantly? Do we wake up in the morgue a day later? What I'm getting at is do our characters have to find a new life? Are there tons of questions from friends/loved ones/witnesses about how they saw us decapitated or why the cancer completely disappeared when we were on our deathbed or what?

I've got a few ideas for characters, but if they died in a public way, that could make it awkward.

You don't need to start a new life. For those that die and come back after having some horrible disease they often have some minor local fame - "you're that miracle cure guy I saw on the TV, right?" There's some flexibility as to when you come back - anywhere from seconds after you die through to a day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Oh so it's actually a public/famous thing? It's not like you come back to life reborn and nobody knows you or you deliberately avoid old acquaintances...

Weird. Kind of takes the mystery out of it, but I suppose the tropes are a bit lazy.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm sorry I don't mean to sound like comic book guy pooh-poohing everything, I'm just trying to figure out the setting and I've come in with some pretty warped pre-conceptions of what d&d is so I'm sounding negative when really I'm just curious and getting my pre-conceptions warped. So don't take that as a negative attitude or criticism.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
How long after our first death will the game be taking place? My character will have died quite publicly and in the moments after his death, he'll have wanted to escape and keep his real identity quiet. Are we starting right after death, and I should leave that escape up to how you/the dice decide, or is it going to be a day or two later?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Soag posted:

nah i didnt mean it like a hurry-up thing, i was wondering if you were playing or not and if there were spare slots bc someone posted in gbs that they'd like to play but the game was full

Nope, I've already got a good game, so I don't feel like joining another yet. But I hate to break it to you Soag, I think you're going to be this game's JP.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Nope, I've already got a good game, so I don't feel like joining another yet. But I hate to break it to you Soag, I think you're going to be this game's JP.

what does JP mean?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
mills's character, who was basically mills

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Meezus posted:

I have decided to play and I will be roleplaying myself IRL.

Meezus posted:

Just imagine the Wolf of Wall Street. That's me. All puns intended.

Meezus posted:

JP curses under his breath. He knew those stupid bitches wouldn't be able to handle the quaaludes he had given them earlier but they had begged him. He'd been loving them both regularly for months of course. JP outwardly greeted the ladies with a warm smile that did not reach his eyes. "Juliet, Scarlet, please stop screaming. I don't know what you think you're seeing but you are hallucinating due to the quaaludes. Come with me - I'll get you both home." He approaches them.

I assume there's some sort of Leadership/Intimidation/Subterfuge check here to get them to shut up and follow me like little lambs.

Meezus posted:

JP turns towards the girls, feigns a look of thoughtfulness and instructs the girls to get under their desks and keep their heads low to the ground to avoid smoke inhalation while he looks for another exit for them to escape through. He turns away again, his green eyes smiling coldly. Those stupid girls should have known better that he rarely showed facial expressions, “alas” he had spent most of his time with them loving them from behind.

Casually jogging down the hallway, JP attempts to unlock the door, exit and lock it behind him. The girls would be no loss to the world.

Meezus posted:

"Look Cockroach. I'm going to level with you. I've never had sex in the spirit world and there are two girls I know who could be in the spirit world with us right now too. I don't know much but I know they're uppppppp for it."

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

are you loving kidding me

how has that guy not been permabanned by now, what a loving creep

like surely thats enough to get him permabanned 10 times over, what the hell

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

also surely after a page of that you kicked him out of the game

its the fantasy rape-equivalent of saying "i find a magic ring and wish super powers upon myself; i immediately kill everyone and all your girlfriends suck on my giant amazing penis because they love it"

kind of against the spirit of things isnt it?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

are you loving kidding me

how has that guy not been permabanned by now, what a loving creep

like surely thats enough to get him permabanned 10 times over, what the hell

Yeah, actually now that I looked that all up again I take it back Soag, I'm sorry!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
His character had his head ripped off.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

How long after our first death will the game be taking place? My character will have died quite publicly and in the moments after his death, he'll have wanted to escape and keep his real identity quiet. Are we starting right after death, and I should leave that escape up to how you/the dice decide, or is it going to be a day or two later?

I was planning to kick it off a day or two after you come back, with a generic "an unseen force has guided you to this location" type deal, but we can play your character out from the start if you'd prefer. Just remember that for limb-detaching levels of death your rebirth happens pretty drat quickly - life - ending wounds patch themselves over but you could well have a bunch of bashing damage. "Not dead" doesn't necessarily mean magically healed.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

A supernatural force mutated my body into a gorgeous 14 foot tall green-eyed blonde-haired sexual adonis called Mills. The shock of seeing my own stunning reflecting stopped my heart and I died. When I come back to life I'm going to spend forty straight pages "ironically" talking about how beautiful I am and how many hot babes I'm gonna bang with my huge cock.

Let's do this.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Here's my character:

Here's his Threshold:

Here's his Geist:

Background:

Colonel Michael Evans, born and raised in Canberra. He'd always wanted to be an explorer, but his grades never kept up with his ambition. Naturally charismatic and attractive, Michael joined the Royal Australian Air Force in the flight program. He graduated with honors, by virtue of classmates slipping him copies of the exam answers. With some help from friends in high places, he got his name put ahead of more qualified people and ended up being loaned out to NASA. He was finally going to be an explorer. He excelled at all the physical, psychological, and manual tests, though again his written exams were a little more harrowing. With some reservations, NASA approved him for space flight. His first mission, he was to be the co-pilot on a routine resupply mission to the International Space Station. The trip was short and uneventful, but he'd never felt anything so amazing as being in space. However, during re-entry, a red light came on his display. He wracked his brain trying to remember what that meant. "You got that?" the mission commander asked. "Oh yeah, she's alright," he responded, sweating and staring at the red light, now blinking frantically. He was terrified to admit that he had no clue what he was doing and that he didn't belong there in the first place. If he admitted his ignorance, they'd never let him go back up. Mission control radioed in, but he assured them everything was under control, that he'd already handled it, as he closed his eyes, praying to remember what he was supposed to do. His prayers were never answered.

His shuttle burnt up on re-entry somewhere north of Canberra. However he was offered a second chance by the shadowy figure of an old hunter. The hunter told him there was so much more out there to explore, so much that no one had ever seen or done before. Michael jumped at the chance.

He awoke in field of grain, surrounded by firey wreckage, body broken but impossibly alive, with an old compass in his hand. He realized no one would believe him if he told them how he'd survived. He knew they would question him endlessly, that they would find out the truth and forever expose him for the fraud and the coward that he really is. Had he been given a second chance at life only to spend it all in prison? Better if everyone thought he really was dead. That way they'd have to treat him with some respect, assume the best, that there really was some unpreventable malfunction.

He dragged himself to a homeless shelter and feigned amnesia or insanity, while he coped with his guilt and confusion and fear. The hunter, however, pressured him to go out and explore.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
If that's too big or conflicts with the theme or something I'm cool with totally changing it.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
That's a really neat concept. Expect a load of "aren't you that astronaut?" coming from random strangers - a local boy dying in the skies above the city is absolutely going to be a front page news item.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Hm. Maybe I'll change his hometown. I made him a Australian cause I was going to have him survive and them request to go home to Canberra on leave, but that would take months of debriefing so I changed it to him just escaping the debris and ditching his past.

I actually looked it up and here has been one Australian astronaut

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Up to you, I think we could make it work as is. The denials might get a bit old, but on the other hand it's likely to be a throwaway opening line for most people - unless they know about geists no one is going to seriously think you survived.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'm going to have Industrial Rage as my starting attack.

I'm going to have the truck from Duel as my spirit animal.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

sup BCR how you doin

as my ex-girlfriend used to say, bonne chance avec ta voiture before she dropped her ute onto my heart and shattered it forever

metaphorically i guess but with this sweet rear end power theres gonna be a lot of dropped utes

Something like that. :getin:

Updated sheet

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/35929

BCR fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 12, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I updated mine a little too, changing my keys from Primeval and Passion to Primeval and Stillness, and increasing Shroud to 2 and decreasing Oracle to 1.

So, does that mean that I have Primeval Shroud 1 and 2, Stillness Shroud 1 and 2, Primeval Oracle 1 and Stillness Oracle 1?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

This game is going to confuse me.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
> drop trous

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
we need a female character, we're a very blokey bunch so far

maybe i should change my mind and become angry SJW, "Foxy Gorton"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Geist: sausage fest.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'd prefer that Soag to a pattaya expat.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

I updated mine a little too, changing my keys from Primeval and Passion to Primeval and Stillness, and increasing Shroud to 2 and decreasing Oracle to 1.

So, does that mean that I have Primeval Shroud 1 and 2, Stillness Shroud 1 and 2, Primeval Oracle 1 and Stillness Oracle 1?

Yeah that's right. I realized that I should have posted a better description of the keys so people aren't picking them blind but I didn't want the op to be even more confusing.

Also the descriptions of manifestation and key combos runs for forty pages in the source book, and there's another twenty on ceremonies that I'm ignoring for now. Do the writers of these things get paid by the word?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Mate, wing it, if it sounds fun keep it, if it's anal simplify it. You're the DM and you've only got to fit it in with your story. You don't need to follow it all slavishly.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

yeah I think probably only xylo has really done this before so just figure it out as you go along and we'll all be flexible

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah if you gently caress something up too, no one will notice. Maybe xylo but he's too much of a gentleman.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

tirade: "hey okay i think for this next bit we uh.. i think we all have to roll some dice to see if we.. get... huh? ascension? okay everybody roll a die to see if you ascend to godhood"

everyone but xylo: "okay sounds good i got a 4, is that good or what"

xylo:

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Someone asked what the gently caress Sin Eaters actually are. The idea dates back to some cultures where when someone is dying, a sin eater would perform a ritual where by consuming food and drink in the house, would take on the sins of the dying person, allowing the spirit to pass on. It's used in this game to represent the fact that you're going to be spending a fair amount of time dealing with ghosts unwilling or unable to move on, and taking on the burden of solving whatever is keeping them tied (or righteously banishing them back to the underworld, but that all gets explained later). Wikipedia has more if you're that interested.

In short it's a really terrible name and I'm mostly going to use the term "the bound" instead.

Soag if you wanna change up go ahead dude, I'm not planning on starting until at least the weekend. I actually figured you guys would take a few days to get your concepts squared away but most of you had things rolled up within a few hours.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Oh yeah I'm doing all the rolls. I'll make the results public, same as how xylo's doing it in the werewolf game. I'll keep track of poo poo like plasm and willpower too to make things a bit simpler for you guys. Evernote + a dice app means this shouldn't be too difficult.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tirade posted:

Soag if you wanna change up go ahead dude, I'm not planning on starting until at least the weekend. I actually figured you guys would take a few days to get your concepts squared away but most of you had things rolled up within a few hours.

btw my guy has the power to control other characters and everyone around him at will and also he's secretly an immortal god in human form and also he can stop time and go back in time to right wrongs committed to him and also uh uh uh he has uh a magic thing that lets him do magic

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Are we supposed to be working together or are we doing things separately or do they intersect but with the potential for conflict or what?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

btw my guy has the power to control other characters and everyone around him at will and also he's secretly an immortal god in human form and also he can stop time and go back in time to right wrongs committed to him and also uh uh uh he has uh a magic thing that lets him do magic

As I was whining about the pages and pages dedicated to describing what each manifestation does, I couldn't help thinking that there are players out there who would know it all off by heart, would have figured out the most game-breaking powers and would play each game exactly the same way, and would spend hours arguing with the DM about the definition of "harm" in paragraph 7 of page 193. I'm actually happier that most of you guys don't know the rules.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh SIN eaters. I thought it said shin eaters and we were a gnarly posse of skateboarders grinding our way across Canberra.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey tirade did you check out my char sheet yet to make sure I did it right?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

doesnt matter something tells me you're going to get a ute dropped on you in the first round anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Sorry man I don't remember - I'm going in to Guardians of the Galaxy in half an hour so I'll check it when I get home.

• Locked thread